[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D 5e General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 388
Thread images: 41

>New Unearthed Arcana: Mystics
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UAMystic3.pdf

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b:
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>5etools:
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

>Previously, on /5eg/:
>>52181853

How weird should magic be?
>>
>>52186757
as weird as possible

magic should be strange and at least a bit scary
>>
>>52186769
this
>>
>>52186757
Been excited for thh mystic since take one come out, in 4ed I played a psion and a battlemind. My DM knows this. Do you think he'll be angry if I ask to switch over to a mystic order of immortal from my Pally? I will still be playing the role of the parties meatshield just in a different way. Plus I want to give actually feed back from game experiences for the Mystics, rather than all the knee jerk" waah it's OP all the autists that have a hate boner for psions keep spouting".
>>
>>52186769
Default D&D assumes magic is pretty well understood, and that your average lvl 0 npc knows what a wizard is. Hell, there's probably one living in or around his village, even if the wizard is only level 1 or 2
>>
File: free shrugs.png (3KB, 142x138px) Image search: [Google]
free shrugs.png
3KB, 142x138px
>>52186780
>Do you think he'll be angry if I ask to switch over to a mystic order of immortal from my Pally?

You ask this like we know your DM and we don't.
>>
I'm playing a Level 3 Battle Master who dual wields rapiers (variant human with dual wilder feat and two-weapon fighting). I'm thinking of dipping into Ranger 3 levels (for Hunter's Mark, and Deep Stalker for character reasons). Should I start dipping now or after I get extra attack? Since I'm Dual Wielding, I feel like I could maybe get away dipping now, but not sure..
>>
>>52186791
its just my preference m80
>>
I'm building a dungeon, and after seeing too many posts along the lines of "The party use the Fly spell to completely bypass my clever challenge," I've made a list of spells that break dungeons, and how they do so. This lets me plan my dungeons around the spells I expect my players to have at any given point.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1H-7MrLkMJv1E-VmFDMyWSpE6EPpM0AWCdHoF3GWXAz0/edit?usp=sharing
>>
-Martials should at least have their carrying/lifting capacities doubled.
-True strike, as a physical effect, should be part of their repertoire and/or as a class feature.
-They should get advantage on all Str and Dex skills and checks.
Thoughts?
>>
Will I be hated if I make a tiefling monk?
>>
So had an idea wanted to do a Shadow Monk to level 6 then multiclass into Rouge Assassin 6 levels. My next thought was 2 into fighter for Action Surge and the rest Monk, or should I just skip the Fighter?

Note, no I can't play Mystic, DM doesn't want UA classes unless it's a rebalance like the Ranger.
>>
>>52186769
Magic is just science in a world where the universe is different. Arcane casters are scientists, everything they do makes sense if you know the underlying theory and anyone can do it with practice.

Druidic and Divine magic is weird, but Arcane is just study and application of natural laws.
>>
File: Tiefling Kensai.png (198KB, 802x952px) Image search: [Google]
Tiefling Kensai.png
198KB, 802x952px
>>52186826
Depends.
>>
File: Human Wizard.jpg (4MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
Human Wizard.jpg
4MB, 2560x1440px
>>52186817
Good looks. This is honestly good to build around. Also, magic should go like this: seem awe-inspiring, then seem understandable, then the true fuckedness of it all becomes revealed and our tiny minds snap under the pressure.
>>
>>52186757
>How weird should magic be?

Well its already pretty weird, responsible for all sorts of oddballs like owlbears but one must remember this is D&D, its not fucking Warhammer. The magic is more Lovecraftian in nature, ie utilitarian and not particularly crazifying or corrupting in its own right, though there are exceptions.
>>
>>52186826
I've done it with a Flying Abyssal Feral Tiefling. I was the walking joke of the party thanks to a series of bad rolls on a random Tiefling chart.
>>
File: bad.jpg (40KB, 550x512px) Image search: [Google]
bad.jpg
40KB, 550x512px
>>52186780
To be completely honest, when a majority of the people who want to play mystics are weeaboos who wana be an anime character, the people with the hate boner for the class aren't really the ones being autistic. The look like bastions of impartiality and reason.
>>
>>52186791
Just because it's understood doesn't mean it isn't scary to a normal person because of the things you can do with it.
>>
>>52186824
Advantage on Strength checks is already something that Barbarians get through rage.
>>
>>52186850
The mystic doesn't really seem like its own class at all, just a reflavor of existing classes with added power. So I don't like it very much.
>>
>>52186850
>complaining about weeaboos on a Malaysian silent film image board
>>
Does anyone have the Dawnforgedcast Ultimate bladelock word file?
>>
>>52186851
True. I frequently use Thaumaturgy to announce "FEAR ME" to low-level enemies. The DM lets me roll Intimidate with advantage, since peasants and goblins are easy frightened by displays of magic
>>
>>52186808
after extra attack is better
>>
>>52186850
I will never understand why people want to be super gish anime character with swords. I just want to play an Ardent who's a dirty criminal that's half insane.
>>
What would giving monks the ability to use the LVL 2 Ki features for free at let say lvl 12 and higher do for them?

Is it enough to fix the class?
>>
>>52186850
I just want to be professor X for my team of adventurers, is that so wrong?
>>
>>52186853
And this should continue with the rest of the martials.
>>
File: IMG_0008.jpg (225KB, 844x1024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0008.jpg
225KB, 844x1024px
>>52186824
lifting/carrying doesn't often come up, but sure i'm fine with them getting that at some point
true strike is an okay idea, and i like the idea of martials having more in combat options, but honestly thats not the problem with martials, and true strike itself doesn't actually really even help with martials having more to do in combat.
advantage on all str and dex skills and checks is just a bad idea imo. but maybe if they could get more character abilities that are out of combat discrete skill/check tricks, that would be cool.
>>
>>52186864
Set his shit on fire and it becomes dogshit. You should feel bad about wanting to see his excrement.
>>
>>52186850
Anime are main stream media now. Only autistic people hate them.
>>
>>52186829
Mystic 2.0 is a rebalance of itself
>>
File: Dissapointment sets in.gif (1MB, 478x360px) Image search: [Google]
Dissapointment sets in.gif
1MB, 478x360px
>>52186861
Agreed. I'm not against the idea of the mystic, but when the mystic literally has an achetype for every niche in the game but can do that niche BETTER and with MORE VERSATILITY than the classes MEANT to excel at those niches, sorry, I'm banning the class from my table and no amount of calling me an autist or saying I having a kneejerk reaction is going to stop me.

I like the idea of mystics. I really do. But Mystics should be the caster version of Monks.
I wish we had gotten actual mystics instead of all the existing classes BUT WITH PSYCHIC POWERS!
>>
>>52186791
there are no assumptions of population distribution of anything resembling a PC class in 5e dude, and thank God

So a setting may be uber high magic like in 1e AD&D where every city guard patrol by default has its own magic user, or they may be so rare that the PCs may only encounter only a few wizards in the entire campaign.

There's nothing wrong with, say, having the only clerics in the campaign to speak of be an affair like Jesus and the apostles, just a handful of people empowered by a single deity that is otherwise mute and distant, etc., or even a deity only appointing one cleric at all at a time.
>>
>>52186902
If you really read the disciplines, most of the versatility options have next to no combat benefits, and typically have weaker effects overall, so if they were more limited they would have a higher cost.

Nomadic Mind has a broken ass Focus, but the rest of the effects are sort of ass.
>>
>>52186889
Very bad idea, barbarians already give up a lot and rage has a lot of limitations.

I hate this "casters are OP because they can cast plane shift, muh myth and legend... THEREFORE, lets wank off the fighter and make him clearly superior to the barbarian!"
>>
>>52186898
Cool bro! Wanting to testplay something is obviously a crime against humanity
>>
>>52186902
The same could be said with Wizard
>>
>>52186902
But its not better.

You have to be crazy to think that a Mystic is better than a Wizard or a Cleric.

On the burst damage front, the mystic nova is less reliable than the Paladin one (also, only one chance to hit per turn)

The only thing that he is better, is if you compare against a monk of 4 elements but then... this should be expected.

Now you can have different builds it the class,that much is true. i dont know how is this a bad thing.
>>
>>52186902
Seems to me they should just roll monk into mystic
>>
>>52186927
It is if it's from that turd.
>>
>>52186925
Barbarian is just kinda crappy. It needs more options too
>>
>>52186791
Depends on what you mean "default" by I guess.
In at least two of the "generic" campaign settings (Greyhawk and Forgotten Realms) your information is dead wrong, but if you mean the "non-setting" D&D like you see in video games where all the generic D&D rules apply but nothing is particularly fleshed out in favor of just letting the rules be whatever fluff text the setting has, then yeah, that's true.
>>
>>52186902
>when the mystic literally has an achetype for every niche in the game but can do that niche BETTER and with MORE VERSATILITY than the classes MEANT to excel at those niches,

Speaking hypothetically I take it? They don't.

Everyone who claims this BS chickens out and can't offer the slightest iota of proof. All they have is "Wot4E monk!"
>>
File: sanity systems.png (143KB, 288x436px) Image search: [Google]
sanity systems.png
143KB, 288x436px
>>52186923
If you really read the disciplines, you have shit like a 120 ft Charm Person spell with no components and no penalty for failing (the target doesn't know you attempted anything), a Darkness spell that literally has no duration and lasts forever, effects with status effects that still happen even on a successful save, and a psychic claw attack that isn't actually stipulated to take your Action and can pretty much be done at any time.

If you "actually read" the disciplines, or the UA in general, it's a fucking mess full of so many exploits and errors that it reads like some 15 year old's homebrew straight off of DandDwiki.
>>
>>52186949
Too many features rely on Rage, so if you follow the standard rest format, the Barbarian is a strictly worse fighter for half a days encounters. They should have things they can do, raging or not, and then rage is their "super mode" thats limited.
>>
>>52186949
yep better fuck them over hardcore to make the fighter look better

makes perfect sense
>>
>>52186902
Yeah, the sheer versatility should have been toned down heavily for 5e.
Pillars of Eternity got Psionics right with their Cypher class.
>>
>>52186889
I dunno man, Rogue gets expertise, so he doesn't really need it. Barbarians advantage comes from a limited/day thing so you can't just give the other classes advantage all the time, it's already pretty fucked if your barbarian is giving up a rage just to pass a strength check.

>>52186896
I feel like Martials should get maneuvers of a sort in every class as part of their progression. I feel like Rogue is in a pretty good spot because they can dash or disengage or hide on their turn without wasting a round and that can lead to some fun stuff.

I wish the Battlemaster maneuvers were just part of every martial class and Battlemaster was the BEST at them, rather than the only one who gets them. Like there could be a list of maneuvers for each class that are flavorful and different.

Hell, they could just split up Battlemasters maneuvers and give each of the other martials some of them and Battlemasters thing is that he can take them all. Barbarian with Menacing, pushing and sweeping attacks could be really flavorful and spice up the combat a bit.

Battlemaster is the only interesting martial class it seems like.
>>
>>52186925
Then redesign the barbarian to have it give up less and have less limitations in its rage class feature.
In the redesign, the barbarian is going to get advantage on Str and Dex skill checks out of rage.
It's you who wants to just wank off the fighter, don't be autistic.
>>
>>52186967
Which has nothing to do with my point, the "op" and hyper versatile options tend to be mechanically weaker, while the "strong" options are either more niche, or pure combat.

It's a set up that would work fine, in design terms, if they limited discipline selection a bit more.
>>
What is more fun to play?
Conjurer, Evoker or Abjurer?
>>
>>52186985
How about the option to skip your Extra Attack in a turn to apply one of the attack style maneuvers, perhaps doled out by class.
>>
File: 1477695609293.jpg (107KB, 644x830px) Image search: [Google]
1477695609293.jpg
107KB, 644x830px
>>52186994
>Literally gives multiple examples why the class is OP and broken
>SCREEEEEE THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH MY POINT ABOUT HOW THE CLASS ISN'T OP AND BROKEN! I WANA PLAY AN ANIME CHARACTER!

I think we're done here. Was a good discussion, but lets not do it again any time soon.
>>
>>52186985
Well in the playtest all martials did get maneuvers and superiority dice the fighter was just the best at it.
>>
>>52186967
No, The claw attack costs a action, its pretty clear to me.

You should be complaining about the wording on the dragon breath, i dont have a clue about what that shit costs (But then, any fucking DM would not be a retarded and let you use for free.)
>>
>>52187006
>shitposts about anime while shitposting WITH anime
You listed editing mistakes, rather than discussing design.
>>
>>52186985
>Battlemaster is the only interesting martial class it seems like.
To each his own, but I get what you mean.
The idea that guys like the Champion gets fewer Maneuvers and instead focuses on buffing his basic capabilities (more attacks, more Fighting Styles, high Criticals) but getting SOME Maneuvers while a Battlemaster gets more maneuvers but focus less on pure athletic and physical prowess is appealing to me, with Eldritch Knight sacrificing both options for limited magic.
>>
>>52187004
That would be cool, but some of them use your reaction or bonus action. Just learning some at certain levels would be enough.
>>
>>52187015
Not that anon, but if we're talking about design-choices, the poor way this UA was executed gives me little faith that the design parts were actually thought out all that well either to be honest. Like, WotC is a professional company for fucks sake, show some professionalism with the material you put out. At least pretend you playtested it a little first, or hire someone who actually knows the rules of your own game to proofread it before you put it out there.
>>
>>52187007
I didn't know that. Neat.
>>
>>52186985
>>52187004
They should get the maneuver in addition to their attack, and have the maneuver resolve as a bonus action.

They should have a more comprehensive list of maneuvers though and have them work as the ones in the ToB.
>>
>>52187023
I was trying to say that ones which requires specific actions should remain in the realm of the Battlemaster, he's better at tactics because thats what he does.

Instead, you let the on-hit ones be traded in for, and throw in Sweeping Attack in the same manner for barbarians. Classes can even get a few unique ones, something like a rogue giving up sneak attack for a turn he could get it to apply disadvantage on all the enemies attacks and advantage on the rogues next attack, dirty fighting, base the DC on dex.
>>
>>52186967

>a 120 ft Charm Person

Its not Charm Person, though. Its a save negates, HUMANOID ONLY, charm effect, and the "charmed" condition does fuck all: advantage on cha saves and can't attack you. For 1 round.

Guidance gives nearly as big of a bonus and works with ALL FUCKING SKILLS, not just cha checks vs humanoids.
>>
>>52186932
>Le "WIZARDS ARE OVERPOWERED ZOMG MEME"

When will this die? The only people who keep spouting this retardation either haven't played Wizards in 5e, or assume that Level 20 is the default play-state for every campaign ever.
>>
>>52186989
>hand barbarian's cool skill schtick to fighters because "martial pride!'

ok
>>
>>52187039
>bad or no editors for a free, playtesting release
>somehow reflects on poorly on design
>somehow reflects poorly on the ENTIRETY OF WOTC, even though M:TG has some of the strictest editing around
>>
>>52187052
It's essentially free advantage on every social interaction ever, and 100% spammable because there's no failure penalty and it doesn't actually require you to stop talking or anything because there's no component cost. Who even needs Charisma?

Nice of you to selectively leave that part out though.
>>
File: tumblr_n08kleqclc1syb85xo7_1280.jpg (239KB, 1280x1029px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n08kleqclc1syb85xo7_1280.jpg
239KB, 1280x1029px
>>52186985
>I wish the Battlemaster maneuvers were just part of every martial class
ive been trying to write a thing for martials that would be something like:
>you have a d8 martial die
>you can expend it to use various maneuvers that you accrue as you level
>you can use your action to regain it
that plus been toying with stances and stuff too. the maneuvers would be like some of the not magicaly tome of battle maneuvers
but the problem for me overall is that the real problem is martials kick ass in combat, but aren't as strong out of combat. its really the other two pillars that they need help at. BUT even then they're actually okay if the player bothers to do anything besides make a muscle wall that can only hit things good and nothing else, so i think really what needs to happen is casting needs an overhaul.

BUT really what i've acutally been doing is
1) keeping my party low level, and not letting them level up, and instead giving them options to just take new abilities every so often, or whatever else. so their hp is low, which keeps combat kind of quick. also the campaign has stayed kind of low magic that way. well, not the campaign, but the party.
2) making weapons that are kind of interesting, or at least a little more interesting/choiceful. i made a sword that you pick between two different grips when you attack, one is pressing, which gives -1 to hit but +2 to damage, one is controlled, which is +1 to hit, -2 to damage.

so far its been going ok but i'm kind of a shit dm. i wish i could just like, come up with settings and mechanics and have a DM who does the actually dming while i just kind of lurk and do lore and stuff.

next campaign i do i might tweak how magic works a lot, and what abilities classes get. like move things around so their out of combat abilities are more front loaded, plus give them martial die. i think dnd magic just doesn't work how the rest of it is written.
>>
>>52186826

Do you have a good explanation for it? If so I see no problem with it. I made a Tiefling paladin, and my group loves that guy.
>>
>>52187050
I would just let Battlemaster be the only one who gets the superiority die and everyone else can get some of the skills but not all of them. I think a Swashbuckling Rogue being able to learn Parry, Riposte would be cool and those are both reactions, a Valor Bard learning maneuvering attack or that one that lets an ally attack in your place would be cool, I would make the other classes have a smaller list of maneuvers they can learn but have them function the same.
>>
>>52187067
>It's essentially free advantage on every social interaction ever,

No. With humanoids. You get nearly the same benefit with Guidance *on everything*.

>Nice of you to selectively leave that part out though

Hm? The best case interpretation still leaves it inferior to Guidance.
>>
File: Elfspin.gif (208KB, 385x400px) Image search: [Google]
Elfspin.gif
208KB, 385x400px
>>52187081
I could talk about how guidance is only an extra 1d4 instead of actual advantage, and all the other flaws in your retarded reasoning, but it's easier just to post a meme-pic and a line of greentext than argue with an actual idiot.

>Psionic fanboys literally making objectively wrong arguments like this to defend their anime characters.
>>
>>52187067
>On a successful save, the creature is unaffected and has no inkling of your attempt to bend its will.

That is a line specifically mentioned in some parts of the UA, and is not contained within Mystic Charm.

Even if you assume they can't know, even if they fail, advantage on charisma checks on humanoids, and making them not attack you, isn't all that different from Friends. Friends has a down side, but it also isn't limited by Humanoids./
>>
>>52187061
What the fuck are you blathering about, you fucking autistic retard?
>>
>>52187109
>instead of actual advantage

For an average non diplo/charisma based dude, advantage is like +5. For a high social focused dude or someone below the curve, advantage is more like +3.
>>
>>52187134
1d4 averages out to 2.5.
>>
>>52187136
+1d4 is pretty close to +3 then, isn't it?
>>
>>52187136
Guidance is infinitely more versatile, and can be cast on others. Hell, if anything the bigger problem is casting Friends/Mystic Charm WHILE under Guidance from an ally.

But then again, you could already do that. Ya know. With Friends.
>>
>>52186850
I want to play a soul-knife that's probably more than a little off their rocker that claims their abilities are granted to them by the spirits that guide them, with their weapon instead of being laser-fists being a shovel while still remaining mechanically the same.
>>
>>52187152
No, you always round down in 5e.
>>
>>52187161
Remarkable Athlete rounds up.
>>
>Incessant bitching about there being no mystic.
>Get the mystic
>Bitch about it

Fuck off. You got what you wanted. If it's not exactly what you wanted then just talk to your DM and work things out like any other class. There's no pleasing you people is there?
>>
>>52186902
I agree, except for the "do it better" part.
The sheer amount of favoritism poured into this UA is a bit of a turnoff. I won't outright ban it from the table until I see it in play a bit, but the sheer circlejerk the mystic apparently turned into behind closed doors has left a bad first impression on me.
>>
>>52187172
There was also a large group of people that detested the very idea of a psionic class.

Personally, I think it seems fun.
>>
>>52187172
The only people who wanted mystic were weeaboos, 3.5aboos, and a combination of the previous two but in denial about it.

The sad part is, it was actually done better in 3.5.
>>
>>52187112
Not that guy but
Friends doesn't make humanoids unable to attack you however, and encourages it after a minute.
This can essentially take someone out of the fight for a minute, and can be exploited to burn legendary resistances. I'm not sure if OP, but it is fairly powerful.
>>
Why do people detest psionics? And why do they feel there's no place for it in D&D? Never understood that at all.
>>
>>52187172
>Incessant bitching about there being no mystic.
>People who don't like the class or the idea of psionics make fun of the first group.
>Mystic comes out as Mearls pet-class frontloaded to the brim
>The second group of people bitch about it
>The first group of people tries to silence them like (you)
>>
>>52187172
I was one of the people who fucking hated the idea of it, but I'm actually happy that I can take the Avatar Order and take mostly Crowns and Mantles to remake my Ardent.
>>
>>52187207
People keep saying weeaboos wanted the mystic, but the only tie is
>muh avatar bending
which isn't even a god damned japanese program.

>>52187214
>1 minute is until your next turn
>unable to attack the mystic is taken out of the fight
>ever using legendary resistances on something that doesn't fucking matter
>>
>>52187161
Subtle.
>>
>>52187172
I mean, is it too much to ask for it to be done well? Also, we arn't all in consensus here, this is an anonymous korean mountain-biking board after all.
>>
>>52187217
its not really so much psionics as the people who like psionics and the design philosophies surrounding it.
>>
>>52187217
I don't so much feel that there's no place for it, it just feels... unnecessary. Its basically just another caster, and while I wouldn't mind a setting with just arcane/divine or just psionic, having both just feels like bloat.
That's how I see it, anyway.
>>
>>52187217
It has no place in most people settings and if it's an official option players bitch when you ban it.

Though it exists in a lot of settings as a key part, it needs rules eventually.
>>
>>52187217

I hate them a bit because I remember how broken they've been in the past. I'm not even talking 3rd, I'm talking back when you had to roll on a table to even get a chance to play them. If someone made the roll game over man, rest of the party were just his sidekicks. No fun at all man.
>>
>>52187246
Illithids are as much a part of D&D as beholders and dragons at this point.
>>
>>52187207
not at all, I was contemplating how cool but disappointing the ardent is, due to how the mantles are grossly scattershot and unbalanced to a ridiculous degree

time ardents are among the simplest and yet most OP thing around while if you want, say, an elementalist ardent doesn't get any kind of elemental attacks at all til like level 11
>>
>>52187217
There are a couple of reasons. I'm not sayign I believe them all, but I'll list them out.

1. The idea that Psionics is somehow "scifi" and don't fit in a standard swords and magic setting, which people think is the only thing D&D is able to be used for.

2. Kinda related to #1, Psionics have their own set of magic and mechanics that function differently compared to every other caster in the game and makes them feel out of place like they're from a different game entirely.

3. Psionics are a "weeaboo" power and encourage anime-styled characters (I can vouch for this one on personal experience from 3.PF psionic players).

4. 5E doesn't need more full-caster characters.

5. Psionics are supposed to be super rare and limited to specific settings like Dark Sun, or specifically eldritch/alien monsters like mindflayers.

6. Psychic/Mental damage is boring.

7. Le Gen 1 Pokemon meme where psychic types were the best at everything (not entirely wrong).
>>
>>52187239
... So if this came with a 'setting-specific' stamp to say... Dark Sun, Greyhawk and Ebberon (maybe FR for AL content) as well as an 'ask your DM' like Drow, Tiefling, or Oathbreaker Paladin, people would be happier with it?
>>
>>52187214
>This can essentially take someone out of the fight for a minute

It MIGHT divert their attacks to a party member for ONE round.

Total waste of an action.

>can be exploited to burn legendary resistances

Name 3 legendary humanoids
Name 1 legendary humanoid moronic enough to burn LR on a harmless, worthless effect.
>>
>>52187257
Not every setting needs Illithids, Beholders or Dragons.

My personal setting has a heavy amount of Psionics being thrown around. Illithids and Duergar in Forgotten Realms use them a shit ton. Dark Sun and Spelljammer pretty much require it. Most people who aren't playing in those settings don't even think about it though and they don't like the idea of having to include it.
>>
File: tumblr_nu734cZ0wC1reqhbzo1_500.gif (2MB, 500x245px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nu734cZ0wC1reqhbzo1_500.gif
2MB, 500x245px
>>52187268
here is a dude who knows his stuff
>>
>>52187230
Oh, I didn't mean an actual minute, it was a turn of phrase.

Unable to attack the mystic, with no resource cost, for a round. That is fairly potent.

Charm is one of the most powerful status effects in the game, (provided your DM uses plot). If you haven't had an entire campaign completely spun on it's head after a well-placed charm person, and a conversation your group must be very... uncreative. I've had to use legendary resistances to prevent such things in the past, (and after having done so, had it happen anyway eventually) and have used charm as a player to wreck havoc as well.
>>
>>52187275
How does Spelljammer require them?
>>
>>52187286
Illithids man. Fucking everywhere.
>>
>>52187286
If you're having spaceship mage fights and you don't have an Illithid Nautiloid in the mix you're doing something wrong my dude.
>>
>>52187268
Shove is an attack action, standing in a doorframe for one round could save a party.

>Name 3 legendary humanoids
Nobody invites you to their personal games, do they?
>>
>>52187285
Advantage on charisma checks. If that's enough to spin a campaign on its head, you have bigger problems than a Mystic. A Rogue with expertise in a charisma skill must blow your damned minds.
>>
>>52187312
>Not using both
Do you even Bard?
>>
>>52187285
>That is fairly potent.

It is amazingly weak. **As far as mid combat actions go**, burning an action that does nothing other than have a 60% chance that they will just attack the rest of your party is pretty fucking terrible.

Mechanically, its rare to see someone completely waste a turn to do nothing but screw over his party members.

>charm person

"Charmed" doesn't mean "charm person" at all.

>your group must be very uncreative

Ignoring the fact that it doesn't remotely make the target your friend and it doesn't make it so you can improve their attitude if you couldn't before, not every campaign is going to have a great swathe of people the PCs are drooling to briefly befriend and then make eternal enemies with.

>have used charm as a player to wreck havoc as well

You might have used charm PERSON etc. as a player to "wreck" havoc, you mean.
>>
File: psychokinetic barrier.gif (2MB, 338x264px) Image search: [Google]
psychokinetic barrier.gif
2MB, 338x264px
>>52187217
Basically they think that DnD is Lord of the Rings and they imagine every setting as medieval europe but with mages and dragons. It's the same reason Monk is despised.
Also, from what I understand, Psionics has a history of being do-it-alls in many editions of DnD because the writers think that "the power of the mind" should give you acidic blood and underwater breathing and let you grow three times as big and punch things harder than a barbarian and plane shift and summon elementals. How fucking hard is it to stick to telekinesis, telepathy, and ESP?
>>
>>52187297
I meant more as a playable class.
>>
>>52187331
Psionic power has done all those things in other media though.
>>
>>52187298
>standing in a doorframe for one round could save a party.

The level of improbability that this will ever come in handy grows by the second.

>Nobody invites you to their personal games, do they?

Nobody I know would consider giving a humanoid NPC legendary shit just to fuck with the PCs. *Maybe* a BBEG, but how many BBEGs are the sort of mouth breathing ignorant morons who would waste a precious LR on this useless power? Though Grog, the legendary feebleminded orc warlord, could be cool.
>>
>>52187340
Typical anime response :^)

We're talking about GOOD media.
>>
>>52187331
The main problem isn't psionics. At all. Its people not knowing the limits of psionics, outright lying, etc.

Classic example: presenting the wildly variant rule, psionic-magics transparency, as default.
>>
>>52187343
Mystics are the god damned X-Men.
>>
>>52186902
Holy fuck cleric, wizard and lore bards are all still more op or versatile then the Mystic ibf muh 4element monks being overshadowed.
>>
>>52187341
>Grog, the legendary feebleminded goliath barbarian
Ftfy
>>
File: PZO9009-Monk.jpg (123KB, 1036x1500px) Image search: [Google]
PZO9009-Monk.jpg
123KB, 1036x1500px
Hey 5e, I have a very basic question. I'm running a campaign with mostly new players and it's largely going great - the warlock loves his cantrips, the bard loves being able to manipulate people, the cleric is quickly maxing out to be even more useful than the tank. The problem is the monk.

I have never had a monk in my game before and don't know anything about how they are supposed to work, neither does my player. I get the sense he's getting discouraged because he doesn't do a lot of damage and has poor HP but can't cast spells or work checks like other characters. I don't know how to explain to him to best use a monk because I don't really understand the class either. I get the sense that a lot of it is based on moving in to a target, dealing damage and then moving as far away as possible? But how can you do that without spending ki constantly on disengage actions?

Just don't understand how this class is supposed to be effective in combat, but I want my player to have a good time. People here always talk about how good the monk is but I don't really get it.
>>
The lack of versatility of the martials will be solved by ToB shenanigans.
>>
>>52187352
DnD is not the X-men Roleplaying Game, now is it? Nor it even a typical comic-hero game in general.

And thus you see why so many people hate mystics.
>>
>>52187365
No, people will still whine, bitch, and cry, and the whining, bitching, and crying will be of the exact same caliber: a deity in x story performed a wildly supernatural feat using his deific power, and a mortal in y story performed a wildly supernatural feat using an artifact. Furthermore, magic can let you plane shift and raise the dead.

THEREFORE, we must make the numbers that martials use for hitting things bigger.
>>
>>52187366
It's more likely people are fucking retards.
>>
>>52187365
I'm ready for the Big Book of Weeaboo Fightan Magic 2.0.

Get on it Wizards.
>>
>>52187359
Monks are good at two particular things, one of which they share with the rogue, the other is unique to them.

Mobility/Chase-down potential, monks and rogues are uniquely suited to getting in the back line of an enemy to kill ranged enemies and casters.

Monks also stun things. It's really fucking good to stun things. They are amazing at it.

Specific archetypes also do other, secondary things, Open Hand is a combat controller similar to Battlemaster, Shadow is a sneakyfuck, wot4e is uhh, there.
>>
>remove Wizard
>give Sorcerers some options to pick up slack

Bam, I fixed the game
>>
>>52187366
You mean YOU dislike psionics, because YOUR headcanon says they don't fit.
>>
>>52187372
>we must make the numbers that martials use for hitting things bigger.
Bigger numbers aren't the issue, options and versatility are.
>>
>>52187359
Did he go dex/wis/con?

The monk's role is choking the shit out of wizards, punching people off cliffs, etc. If the DM just has everything be melee monsters on featureless flat planes, the monk may not be so great.

But lets face it, the monk (Open Hand; elemental monks deserve all the grief they get) can nice and consistently one round Tiamat, no frills or variant rules or UA garbage required.
>>
>>52187328
>preventing a wizard from casting AoE spells on a grouped party is weak
>blocking an enemy who can make four attacks in a doorway in weak
>advantage on all social rolls is weak
>These things screw over the party
I bet you play Champion.

>"Charmed" doesn't mean "charm person" at all.
Charm person is actually weaker then this Talent (which just inflicts charmed the status effect), as it targets Wisdom over Charisma (a less common save), has noticeable components (psionics do not), and specifically mentions the target is aware of the effect afterwords (which this Talent does not).

>You might have used charm PERSON etc. as a player to "wreck" havoc, you mean.
I have, and this is much more powerful, with no spent resource. It is comparable to Warlock Invocations. Again, not saying it is OP, but if you can't see how strong this is you must be blind.
>>
>>52187384
I have never had a Monk choose anything other than Elements, despite how bad it is. They just can't get over getting to be the Avatar.
>>
>>52187392
>Bigger numbers aren't the issue, options and versatility are.

Exactly, but 99% of ideas of "fixing martials" is "give fighters bigger numbers to do things they already could."
>>
>>52187388
It wasn't broken to begin with, and the bizarre persecution complex people have towards Wizards has been replaced by a persecution complex people feel towards Mystics.
>>
>>52187391
What are genres? What is common sense? What is "I don't want Xmen in my swords and magic fantasy"?

Ohwait, forgot psionic fanboys literally lack the intelligence to come anywhere close to playing their anime class. Probably why it appeals so much to them though.
>>
>>52187391
>Headcannon
>In DnD
Unless all of the general are all playing games in Forgotten Realms or Greyhawk or some shit, get the hell out with that argument.
>>
>>52187403
That isn't how you fix them though.
>>
>>52187408
And back to
>but ANIME

Nothing says you have to allow UA content at all in your games, and you can keep them as Tolkien as you want. D&D has had psionics for a long damned time, so this "it doesn't fit" argument is baffling. Particularly since Illithids and now GOO are common to most settings.
>>
>>52187341
>plays in a world without doors
>Every opening to every building is at least 10ft wide, for reasons
>No combat happens around 5ft wide choke points ever
I take back my previous statement, your games are much more creative then I thought.

>DM doesn't give swashbuckling pirate captian or badass knight an established game mechanic to make things more interesting
Well, I guess your Wizard player is living the dream at least.
>>
>>52187384
>>52187395
This probably explains it, he's been using his guy mostly as a foot soldier to deal with grunts; also the bosses in any given encounter I run are usually melee rather than casters. I guess, as usual, it's the DM's fault.

For what it's worth I'm pretty sure he went Wis/Str/Dex.
>>
File: charizard_by_dav_19-d8l2al8.jpg (763KB, 1340x960px) Image search: [Google]
charizard_by_dav_19-d8l2al8.jpg
763KB, 1340x960px
>>52187423
Dragons are common to most settings too. Guess every class should have flight and dragon's breath.
>>
Mystics are too general.

I want to play Professor X, and i have the tools for that, but as the games progresses my powers spread out, instead of improving. I want my discipline choices to matter more, and scale in power, not to become a jack of all trades.
>>
Paladin > Barbarian > Revised Ranger > Monk > Rogue > Ranger > Fighter
>>
>>52187432
It's almost like we have Draconic Sorcerer and Dragonborn as core player options, isn't it?
>>
>>52187408
>Genres
Psionics has ALWAYS been a part of Pulp Fantasy though. If you think of D&D as being Tolkienian High Fantasy, you are sorely mistaken pal.

>>52187432
Dragonborn are a playable race, literally any class can have Dragon breath. Also, you're clearly upset and moving the goal posts to suit your position rather than actually making a compelling argument.
>>
>>52187398

>preventing a wizard from casting AoE spells on a grouped party is weak

Most aoe casters use charisma. What a useless fucking niche power.

>Charm person is actually weaker then this Talent

Other than that Charm Person, you know, makes the target your friend, presumably the whole point of the exercise? In no way can you assume the average creature can have its attitude adjusted by the PCs positively at all, and even being able to attempt it tends to require in depth knowledge and/or take more than six measly seconds.

>blocking an enemy who can make four attacks in a doorway in weak

Theoretical niche garbage.

>advantage on all social rolls is weak

>**As far as mid combat actions go**

Reading is hard, isn't it?

Christ, what a softball of a DM you must have.
>>
>>52187265
Dunno about 'people' but I certainly would.
>>
>>52187432
I still think Barbarian needs a Dragon Archetype. Fire breathing, long ass claws and maybe a capstone that lets them polymorph into a leveled Dragon that benefits from Rage
>>
Why does Iron hide last so long and why can I get an AC of 30+ No problem with it?
>>
>>52187448
>>52187398
Does an AoE even count as targeting?

Sanctuary, for example, has similar wording, and points out that it doesn't protect from AoEs.
>>
Goddamnit, which one of you spergs summoned Autismo.
>>
File: Absolutely disgusting.gif (350KB, 500x282px) Image search: [Google]
Absolutely disgusting.gif
350KB, 500x282px
>>52187441
>Allowing Dragonborn in your games.

I bet you have homebrewed Kitsune and Crystal Gems as playable races too.
>>
>>52187365
WotC doesn't perceive any problem with the martials
>>
>>52187476
There is no need to be upset, anon.

>>52187482
You're not even trying anymore.
>>
>>52187428

>No combat happens around 5ft wide choke points ever

That sort of easy mode combat terrain is pretty rare in my experience across 20+ years of DMing and playing, and the players need zero help.

Melee, humanoid foes, faced one at a time, in ridiculously easy mode combat scenarios don't need any help. Just taking a dodge action is the superior choice for virtually any foe that isn't Feebleminded.
>>
>>52187429
My suggestion is use lots of casters as MVPs among enemies (remember, you can use any human NPC statblock as any race just by removing -1 from all stats and applying their racial modifiers) and lots of traps he can punt enemies into.
>>
>>52187491
When there have literally been 20+ posts way earlier in the thread explaining why people don't like psionics and the psionic fanboys are still whining about how everyone should love and worship their fetish class of choice, I can't really blame the people who have stopped trying. They're probably just baiting at this point, but it's so goddamn funny to see the bait being eaten still because the other party is THAT invested in their own self-defensive butthurt.
>>
>>52187466
>Does an AoE even count as targeting?

Technically, in some sense it does, as a departure from, say, 3e's targeting rules.
>>
>>52187448
>Most aoe casters use charisma. What a useless fucking niche power.
>An additional use of the best social WD-40 makes it a useless power mkay
lolz

>Other than that Charm Person, you know, makes the target your friend, presumably the whole point of the exercise? In no way can you assume the average creature can have its attitude adjusted by the PCs positively at all, and even being able to attempt it tends to require in depth knowledge and/or take more than six measly seconds.
>Assuming you need someone to like you to fuck with them socially in combat mkay
lolz

>plays in his world without doors

>advantage on social rolls in combat is weak
Champion Fighter, everyone

I like how you use the word "theorectical" though, really illustrates how you can't figure your way out of a paper bag. Don't worry though, as long as you keep playing Fighter, Warlock (Eldritch Blast only now, lets not go out into the deep end with you), and Barb you'll be (sortof) useful.
>>
>>52187510
There are reasonable arguments in this thread, I'm not arguing that. But the bait being posted at this point is uninspired, even for /tg/.
>>
>>52187510
>Having to spell it out and ruin the show that was happening.
>>
How do you tell your players that some spells are going to be banned in your game without them sperging out about it?
>>
>>52187494
We play a lot of political heavy campaigns, so getting ambushed indoors, or fighting our way through sieges and the like comes up fairly regularly. Even in caves, there have been points where members have had to crawl and fight in tight spaces (one of our group is into sperlunking, and we enjoyed that crazy combats her would throw us into so much underground the rest of us started getting creative with terrain as well).

I wouldn't say we spend all our time in civilization, but saying 5ft spaces never happen in combat blows my mind. Heck, one of our player favorite tactics is to use Wall spells to create 5ft spaces where their arn't any, to funnel enemies for our melee guys.
>>
>>52187562
>"These spells are banned for this campaign."
>"You're free to leave now if you wish."
>if they sit it out, then they wouldn't be good for the campaign you planned
>if they stay, they agreed to play by the rules
>>
>>52187562
You could start by clearly explaining your reasoning for banning said spells.
>>
>>52187534
you are using a power with a meh chance of success in most cases, usable on a single type of foe, in the hopes of insulating part of your party from an attack you are assuming the enemy will use

fucking retarded

> really illustrates how you can't figure your way out of a paper bag.

Says the guy who requires the most contrived situations imaginable for his shit to be useful, all so he can prove the flavor of the month is OP.
>>
>>52187562
If it's a mechanical reason, let them know prior to or during character construction, and if its something they desire, try and work out a compromise or other solution.

If its a thematic/setting reason, inform them of said reason and they should just deal with it.
>>
>>52187574
>>52187575
>>52187591

I'm not a rail-roady type GM, but I do worry about it.

Players do not need to be able to teleport anywhere they want, plus all the other bullshit abilites they get at higher levels. It ruins the game, so I just wanted to make sure it was simple enough to get fixed.
>>
>>52187570
>saying 5ft spaces never happen in combat

They do. Its just the fight is so fucking easy mode at that point that you hardly need help (if its melee foes). Just think of the levels of contrivance required for this scenario:

1. Humanoid foe
2. Alone
3. Melee only
4. Needs to have a charisma save so singularly terrible that you aren't better off taking the dodge action
5. Opponent not yet in the room

All in the name of railing against the FotM. Seems... goofy as hell.
>>
File: Minotaur dumb.jpg (67KB, 436x720px) Image search: [Google]
Minotaur dumb.jpg
67KB, 436x720px
Are there any homebrew/minotaur racial stats?

Or can I just substitute half-orcs instead?
>>
>>52187622
They're in Waterborn Adventures I think. Pretty cool with the right build because of a 1d10 natural attack that works with shields, they make good STR Rangers.
>>
>>52187606
You could always just stop standard progression at the end of whatever tier of play you prefer.
>>
File: 1292749511677.jpg (25KB, 305x315px) Image search: [Google]
1292749511677.jpg
25KB, 305x315px
>>52187577
>you are using a power with a meh chance of success in most cases, usable on a single type of foe, in the hopes of insulating part of your party from an attack you are assuming the enemy will use
>for no cost, that requires no prep, with a range farther then counterspell

>Says the guy who requires the most contrived situations imaginable for his shit to be useful, all so he can prove the flavor of the month is OP.

I'm not sure what I like more about this, that you were so buttblasted that you quoted a snide remark, or that you instantly lay out for all to see that you can't read properly, since I already said (twice lolz) that I just think it is potent, not OP.
You brought up reading comprehension before... oh, have people said that to you? I thought that was a little too creative for your posts so far.
>>
>>52187622

The MM entry converts easily into a PC race in all respects save one: its a fuckin large race.
>>
And the show continues...
>>
>>52187652
>potent

That's fine then.
>>
>>52187656
This is the UA that gives stats for minotaurs.

https://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/UA_Waterborne_v3.pdf

Kind of weird, and medium sized.
>>
Let's say you become a player in a campaign or learn through others that there is a DnD campaign of 5th edition.

It is said that the DM doesn't really use the basic rules much beyond guidelines, but doesn't fudge rolls or anything. Preferring instead to use simplified mechanics or random chance to determine some things.

How would you feel about this? Shit DM, or not?
>>
>>52187607
No no, you are over-narrowing the focus.
You can have multiple entry points, and multiple enemies, and doesn't even have to be melee only.
All it needs to be useful is by time for the rest of the party to handle everything else, or give yourself a bonus action, or even just mitigate damage. That's it. In addition with everything else you can do with it, the sheer... versatility of the ability as a whole, being in your toolbox with no prep, no cost... it is very potent. That is my argument, essentially.
This is the most useful, and most widely applicable, charm ability in the game now. Nothing matches it when you add all it can do together.
>>
>>52187691
I guess it depends what he is simplifying. Carrying weight, ammunition, food and inn costs? Yeah sure I don't really care to track any of that shit. As long as no one tries to build a tower out of their infinite arrows or carry an entire wagon on their back it doesn't really matter.

Combat stuff, not so much.
>>
>>52187665
Fair enough bro
>>
>>52187691
Is that the game you want to play? If so then go for it. With that in mind though what are they taking away? How do the classes work? Or race works? Combat?

Coming from a DM who DMed Pathfinder a game known for bloat, 5e does not really have much to simplify so I'm not sure what you could change to make that easier.
>>
>>52187679
These actually fit Krynn minotaurs well, which have always been notoriously weak compared to regular minos.

Legit powerful race, but I mean that in the good way as opposed to feral tiefling/snekdude/vhuman polearm/crossbow sense.
>>
>>52187691
I did this when I was starting out with a group new to 5e, including myself. I still fall back to it sometimes if it will simplify the rolling and nobody will get upset about it.
I don't think that such a quality alone makes for a bad DM, though it can be abused of course. Are the players having fun?
>>
>>52187217
Aversion for the snowflake class is my guess.
Seeing the ammount of work Mearls put into making this UA it's fairly obvious that he's showing favouritism.

And then there's the fact that he dumped 28 pages of his brew on us so nobody who doesn't already love the class will take the time to review it in the survey making sure that the class will go through for PHB 2.0 .

Psionics should have been integrated into the game through Druid and Monk archetypes for it to be acceptable and not this over-reaching steaming pile...
>>
>>52187736
It's not like they'll be revising their rules for inclusion in another PHB, that's not at all what their processes are like now.
>>
>>52187696
>potent

Resoundingly okay-tier for your 10th level talent known is the best I'd give it (outside of a campaign that you know there will be lots of humanoids you can persuade and that will be relevant, but even then you have a bard...).

I do gotta hand it to whoever thought of the door blocking thing, though, that has got to be the funniest, most freakishly improbable bit of white room nonsense I've seen in awhile.
>>
>>52187359
Their main point is their mobility, getting more attacks at low levels, stunning things and needing less gear.

I reccomend you let your player play a Sun soul monk since he can punch from range then.

Otherwise if you are the DM you can homerule some things.

Give him a d10 Hp die because Monks barely increase Con due to needing Dex and Wis first so they are frailer than rogues who have the same d8 Hp die normally (It's wierd cause the class that can punch through steel is as frail as a bard or average pickpocket).

At lvl 10-ish it's safe to make the basic Ki features the monk gains at lvl 2 cost no Ki points.
>>
File: (((merals))).jpg (12KB, 240x240px) Image search: [Google]
(((merals))).jpg
12KB, 240x240px
>>52187736
>it's fairly obvious that he's showing favouritism.

Meral has been besieged by demands for the mystic for, what, months, right? Not to mention every time he comes here he had to deal with the piteous whining chorus of butthurt Mystic fags, I mean fans.
>>
>>52187791
This sounds like advice for a primarily Melee Monster campaign.
>>
>>52187736
>Druid
>Not Barbarian

Rage powers, man, but instead of giving you bonus attacks or flight, you can move things with your mind and teleport.
>>
>>52187840
Well that works too.

Druid for the '' in tune with nature psychic''.

Monk for the ''trained martial psychic''.

Barbarian for the '' dude with anger issues who brute forces things with his mind '' .
>>
>>52187840
I'm sure this is a troll post but honestly the barbarian is curiously psionic-like in nature.

By channeling emotion and will, he becomes drastically stronger (okay), but able to take far more punishment and tank multiple hits that could kill him. You would THINK that he rages so hard he doesn't go unconscious at 0hp, instead its that he rages so hard he survives blows that could absolutely kill him right out etc.

>this isn't to imply he's really using psi powers to hold his molecules together
>>
>>52187788
I honestly don't get how it is white room nonsense, like I said before, controlling chokepoints into rooms/areas comes up pretty frequently. In all your campaigns do you never fight in buildings? I was making fun of that other poster (or maybe you idk) about a doorless world, but I can't imagine not ever having a caster being forced to hold off a doorway for a round or two. I mean, there are other ways of course but it just seems kind of obvious for a bard, you're not gonna Athletics your way out of that one, specially at low levels.
>>
I know you shouldn't MC UA, but are there any balance issues whatsoever I should be goncerned about with zealot/assassins? Seems a really cool barbarogue concept, not too far away from the idea of a 4e avenger (other than stats being totally wrong).
>>
I know it's kind of a meme at this point, but would it really be so bad to fuse Sorcerer and Wizard together?

They both have the same spell lists, similar progression, but have some unbalance between them. There is very little also that is thematically separating them; Bards are the cool fruity music mages, Warlocks have strong themes towards blasting and dark magic stuff which is great. Clerics and Druids are completely off on their own; but Sorcerers and Wizards continue to step on each others toes.

I purpose mixing of the two. Oh and getting rid of Ritual Casting because that's shit. Rituals like that should be for plot relevant magic or an innate requirement of a long term spell, not a modifier.
>>
>>52187878
Do we need to cross over a full-caster like a Druid with a pseudo-full caster like the Mystic? Seems like you're asking for trouble, without gimping the Psionic stuff to really minor stuff or taking away some spellcasting progression.

>>52187878
I'm not a troll, just acting purposely more chilled out cause everyone else in this thread appears to have a log up their ass. Psionic Barbarian just makes sense and functions as their obligatory equivalent to the EK/AT. I was thinking more messing around with giving out disadvantage and statuses like Frightened/Charmed/Stunned during combat.
>>
>>52187884
>how is it white room nonsense

How often will you really run into a foe who is:
1. Humanoid
2. No ranged attacks
3. No magic attacks
4. Alone
5. Not already entered into the room
6. With a charisma save so amazingly terrible that you wouldn't be better off taking the auto disadvantage of Dodge.
7. Needs to be blocked from melee
8. You can see him at the time (remember, a good chunk of doorways are going to be in places where darkvision/limited range lights are in use)

That is a truly amazing conjunction of events. If it ever happens in your entire life, please post it here.

Its highly questionable to do something like that vs a lone orc instead of a dodge, but becomes highly pointless if there were ever, say, two orcs.

Just slam him to the ground like a normal person.
>>
>>52187902
The problem of Sorcerrer is that it's too focused on bloodlines.

They should work more like Warlock where their origin and archetype are sepparate things.

Itt. Sorcerrous origin should be the feature that grants minor boons and abillities as you level while archetypes grant true sub-class features.

Let's go with the example of making a Sorcerrer archetype where the PC made some effort in studying arcane knowledge to aid his powers.
Let's call it Sorcerrous Savant.

LvL 2 :
You have comprehended various magical rituals through your study (copy paste the Lore bard ritual casting).

You gain proficiency in the skill Arcanat(int) or a different skill of your choice if you are already proficient. All arcana checks are made with advantage.

Lvl 6: Extra spells known from other spell lists as Sorcerrer spells.

Lvl 10: You may gain the LvL 2 feature of one Wizard archetype. Anything in it refferencing Wizard level now refferences Sorcerrer levels and anything refferencing the Int modifier now refferences the Cha modifier.

Lvl 16: One lvl 3 spell of your choice can be cast up to Cha mod times per long rest for free at its lowest level.
>>
>>52188013

I would like to make my own features like this, but is there a good guide for making sure they aren't too unbalanced or is the DMG the closest thing?

I actually have a pretty unique idea for a homebrew to combine Sorcs and Wizards while making them unique. I've got to work on it now.
>>
>>52188013
>Sorcerer
>Bloodlines
>warlock pact boons are archetypes
You, my friend, are 31 flavors of stupid.
>>
Our GM let us make characters with a super good array to encourage MAD classes. We had:
18 18
16 14
14 12
So I made myself a Bladesinger. 18 Int and 18 dex makes me very good right off the bat, and I have wanted to make one since SCAG dropped, and haven't had the opportunity until now.

My problem is that I have never played a wizard before.

I have played a Cleric and a Warlock. I have played arcane trickster as the closest arcane equivalent.

What should I keep in mind? I want to be a utility character with some close combat ability, albeit very limited, and mostly to pick off lone targets, or to assist another frontliner.

What spells should I priorities, and is it viable to avoid blasting spells entirely?
>>
>>52186850
To be completely honest, when a majority of the people who want to play wizards are weeaboos who wana be an anime character, the people with the hate boner for the class aren't really the ones being autistic. The look like bastions of impartiality and reason.
>>
For creatures like Tiamat, they should always deal maximum damage and get their divine rank to saving throws (the 5e equivalent), skill checks, atk rolls and/or proficiency.
>>
Is there a tool for building bosses like there is for general random encounters?

I know there's a CR checker but that's more like "I've built a boss, what difficulty is it" than "let's start from scratch and make one to this difficulty".
>>
File: Elfbait.png (42KB, 249x284px) Image search: [Google]
Elfbait.png
42KB, 249x284px
>>52188109
Dude, people stopped taking your bait like 100 replies ago. It was a good show while it lasted, but it's not entertaining anymore. Get some new material.
>>
So the max a mystic can dish is in the lines of
7d10+7d6+7d10+10+2d8 = 120.5 (assuming possitioning and enemy fails save) at 20th level spending 1/3rd of his Psy points per day. Doesn't seem that broken to be honest

Also doesn't improve with multiclass because almost all mystic powers cost actions instead of improving attacks it requires you to make a single attack or spend a reaction or spend a bonus action, so doesn't matter you have extra attack, it doesn't help
>>
>>52188107
Blasting spells are not so great.
False Life and Mage Armor, and Mirror Image at level 2, are decent for a switch hitter. It is almost unthinkable to play a wizard without Mage Armor, although the Bladesinger can hack it.

You may simply be best off with Tasha's Laughter and Sleep as level 1 spells.
>>
>>52188111
Nah.
>>
File: Shitposter projects.jpg (34KB, 490x333px) Image search: [Google]
Shitposter projects.jpg
34KB, 490x333px
>>52188109
I think that's just you, buddy.
>>
>>52188159
Don't be a little bitch.
>>
>>52188149
What disciplines are required to make this?
>>
File: 7a555cb97522eaa2a1c1e771e06ad5cf.jpg (144KB, 736x1178px) Image search: [Google]
7a555cb97522eaa2a1c1e771e06ad5cf.jpg
144KB, 736x1178px
>Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter's Dead

Where to get that poster?
>>
>>52188107

I played some bladesinger.
You will want Shield and Absorb elements, obviously,

I used to prefer Light armor over mage armor, 1 extra shield in my opinion

Beware of criticals, Blur, Mirror image, (Feat Lucky can help you with that. ) So can a cloak that give disadvantage on attacks, since you have a nice dm, maybe you will get some magical stuff.

Other than that, choose spells as a wizard would normally choose. Have a few blasting spells for when you need it, but yeah, control is better.

If you want to be boring, you can just be a normal wizard that wont drop concentration and have a high ac
>>
>>52188195
I'm not him but.

Psionic Blade -> Bonus action 1d10 per psipoint

Master of Wood and Earth -> action, you attack with int(good for people who rolled shit stats) 1d10 per psi point

Bruteforce -> Knockback, 1d6 per psipoint spent if the enemy hits an object.
>>
a portal magic will go wrong and my party of 4th levels will find themselves in a foreign plane.

question: which plane should I send them to (that they can survive) and how will they come back?
>>
>>52188280
Got it.
>>
To Megaanon, would it be feasible to include the stats for the named NPCs without a full statblock in your excellent tool-kit?
Like Harshnag, etc.
>>
>>52188299
Send them to a demiplane and they have to find the owner to escape.
>>
>>52188299
Depends on what you want. The Feywild and the Shadowfel aren't necessarily hostile, you can toss lots of low-CR Fey/Undead at them without feeling bad and portals out aren't super rare. If you're heading for an Astral Plane, Mechanicus is a suitably interesting/weird one that won't kill them outright. Lower Planes are fun but you're likely to get stomped by something big or have to sell your soul to escape.
>>
>>52187446
>Psionics has ALWAYS been a part of Pulp Fantasy though. If you think of D&D as being Tolkienian High Fantasy, you are sorely mistaken pal.
This shit.
I know these fucks have never read the books, but I'm sure you've all seen the movies. How many fireballs get thrown around? Lightning bolts? Remember all those people who flew or levitated without the aid of flying mounts?

Gandalf knocks over some rocks on a few occasions and the rest of the time he's just fighting in melee or running away from shit that your average third level D&D party would gleefully charge towards. His epic "wizard showdown" with Saruman is a slap fight. D&D is already a bajillion times higher magic than LotR, and the fantasy fiction it was explicitly cast in the mold of (Conan, John Carter) has psionics out the ying-yang.

Buncha goddamn 20yos talking like they know a fucking thing about fantasy.
>>
>>52187902
>I know it's kind of a meme at this point, but would it really be so bad to fuse Sorcerer and Wizard together?
Aside from your point about spell lists (Sorcs have a way shorter list), you're not exactly wrong. I don't think it'd be too bad if you stuck them together.

Personally, I'd make them more like warlocks; they choose an origin at level 1 (based on the Sorc origins, plus maybe a more wizard-flavoured origin for people that want to be a magical nerd instead of a scalie half-breed or whatever), and then at level 3 they pick a school of magic to focus on (maybe also an opposed school, I dunno).
>>
>>52188699
It's surprising (actually not if you're not autistic) how muddled in genre D&D is, if you think the game is only for running medieval fantasy you're a fucking literal retard.
>>
>>52188454
>The Feywild and the Shadowfel aren't necessarily hostile
First off, the Shadowfell is named SHADOWFELL. Those are two bad words slammed together. It's a portmanteau of "fuck you if you come here". Not only is the place full of "shadow magic", which is obnoxious at best, it's now crammed to bursting with negative energies (the antithesis of you) courtesy of an Evil goddess. Don't go there.

Second, the Feywild is full of Fey. That is never, ever, ever good. I once had the option of choosing from a variety of neat rewards after a quest, like magic hammers and boots of flying and shit, but I told the NPC I wanted his cold iron pocket watch instead. That's how bad Fey are; I gave up shit that was far more useful in 99% of all situations just so I had a chance of not being megafucked if I ever so much as encountered a pixie. And we did encounter some fey, and I bludgeoned them to death with a watch.
>>
>>52188719
Honestly the presence of both bard and lock as core kind of invalidates sorc on a flavor level, but I guess a DM can decide which stays and which goes.

Sorc has always had the other issue that Bard, as a class, did the "more physically apt spontaneous caster" thing significantly better than the "my only feature is spellcasting and I still roll d4 for HD" trust fund caster.
>>
File: tower.png (158KB, 329x263px) Image search: [Google]
tower.png
158KB, 329x263px
>>52188725
Yeah, I've lost track of how many spaceships have appeared in previous campaign settings.

I'm sure that as far as Forgotten Realms is concerned, Castle Perilous is an ancient alien battlecruiser with some rampart-shaped stucco on the outside.
>>
>>52188750
>Shadow means bad
Shadow magic is illusion, it's not remotely bad.

>Fey are bad because I play them like assholes
Fey in a lot of mythologies can be total bros, it entirely depends. In celtic myth they vary from honorbound bros to jackasses but in a way that's very human and fairly comparable to the human rulers.
>>
>>52187446
You know it was kinda in Tolkien too. Elves are all naturally psychic because fuck you
>>
>>52188753

I really liked how 4e seperated wizard and sorcerer.

Wizard was an almost entirely ranged controller.

Sorcerer tended to be more of a brawling mage. Breathing torrents of lightning up close or forming claws of fire to carve through people.
>>
>>52188750

You know D&D fey are almost overwhelming good and even neutral vastly outnumbers evil fey...right?
>>
File: DragonbornWarlock.jpg (65KB, 450x1015px) Image search: [Google]
DragonbornWarlock.jpg
65KB, 450x1015px
>>52187482
>Not allowing rad ass dragon-people in your games
You sir, are not metal. You don't deserve to post dethklok
>>
>>52188783
Dragon Disciple being an inherent part of Sorc was a cool attempt at a save, yeah.
>>
>>52188775
>Shadow magic is illusion, it's not remotely bad.
Sure, pal, and Grymvyle the Dark-Blooded over there is gonna get a gold star from some solars for animating an undead army to totally save that town from the pitiable curse of mortality.

Illusion magic is illusion magic. You fuckers went and made up some new shit that's all greyscale and named after a bunch of negative energy creatures that literally suck the life out of everyone and you've got the nerve to say it's benign? Nuh-uh, ain't no one falling for that shit. 90% of what you fuckers do with it is facilitating the stabbing of kidneys, too. Come the fuck on.
>>
>>52186829
Skip the fighter, only three levels in Rogue for assassinate. The rest go into monk for the class features that make you good.
>>
>>52188454
The party also knows a Satyr. So maybe Feywild might be a cool choice as that Satyr can help them get out.
>>
>>52188796
>he thinks anything that created Elves could be overwhelmingly good
Your faerie tricks and glamours can't get through the internet, deceiver.
>>
>>52188796
Shh, let him believe D&D doesn't ruin his fantasies of morally ambiguous fairy people
>>
>>52188835
Shit also forgot to add the big bad of this small campaign is actually a Green Hag. I think I can do something around the Feywild.
>>
>>52188803

Not just dragon sorcs (Though they were the most visibly like that)

One of my favourite storm sorc powers is 'Turn yourself into a living bolt of lightning for a turn and dash through a line of enemies, zapping them all before you reform'.

I think the best way of describing the difference is 'A wizard uses mage. A sorcerer IS magic'.

Having the wizard/sorcerer list be so similar in 5e was a poor decision. I'd have tried to have had them have distinctively different spell lists (With the sorcerer getting almost all of the melee happy spells)
>>
>>52188166
No, I think you can make a weeaboo anime shit with any class, because that depends on the player, not the class, same way an edgelord would make an edgy character independently if Tieflings are allowed or not. There isn't an inherently "weeb" class, that's just people proyecting. But thanks for actually proving my point.
>>
>>52188842
There's nothing ambiguous about fey except their genders. If they're not murdering you on sight or turning you into their eternally youthful child mind-puppet, it's only because they haven't yet thought of how to do it and not get caught.
>>
File: MahNigga.jpg (26KB, 446x336px) Image search: [Google]
MahNigga.jpg
26KB, 446x336px
>>52188853
>Spark Form
That power was boss
>>
>>52188853
I loves cosmic sorcerer in 4e...
>>
File: fey.png (155KB, 315x233px) Image search: [Google]
fey.png
155KB, 315x233px
>>52188842
>>
>>52188934
I loved 4e. I miss it so much...
>>
File: Owl.png (136KB, 540x799px) Image search: [Google]
Owl.png
136KB, 540x799px
Are aarakocra really super OP? I want to play as an aarakocra artificer gunsmith. I don't plan on really abusing the flight, but it doesn't seem as ridiculous as people here and /r/dnd make it out to be.
>pic related my inspiration for the character
>>
>>52188934

Cosmic was pretty cool.

My only real annoyance with sorcs was the elementalist option. But then. Essentials.
>>
>>52188941
>These factions are mostly good and evil, but they're totally not because they're jealous or some shit
>>
>>52188981
My annoyance was that blade channeling was generally useless
>>
Mystic with...

Mantle of Command
Mantle of Courage
Nomadic Step
Psionic Restoration

Are we warlord yet?
>>
>>52188970
>Are aarakocra really super OP?
Flight speed from level 1 is really powerful, yeah, especially if you're a ranged combatant. Of course, if you're doing indoor dungeon crawls it becomes way less powerful.
>>
>>52188970
flight is OP. It's solve most of the low level challenge including combat.

So either take out flight or put a level restriction on it.
>>
When a vampire uses their charm person spell-like ability, does that wrest control away from the player or just take them out of combat or what?
>>
>>52188970
If your DM doesn't work around it, flight can break campaigns very easiy. But a smart DM would give dudes ranged weapons and fliers to deal with you.
>>
>>52189000
>5e refuses to port warlord because leaders "wouldn't fit the game"
>they port ardent instead
I don't even know if I should be mad
>>
>>52189064
Doing effects with psionics, arcane, or divine methods is pretty different than supposedly mundane effects that do the same.
>>
>>52187725
>feral tiefling
I will assume you meant winged if only because feral being powerful let alone bad-powerful would be news to me.
>>
>>52187765
They have revised stuff already upon publihsing them, like swashbuckler and storm sorcerer.
>>
>>52189026
The ability specifically state that the vampire doesn't control the target.
>>
>>52189026
Nope it is up to your player to play their character that treats the vampire as a trusted friend and ally.
>>
>>52188970
>Fly above everybody
>Spam ranged attacks/use support
>Only ranged enemies can hit you
>Most enemies do much more melee damage than anything else

>Threat appears
>Just fucking fly away

>Did we mention you start with 50ft speed instead of just 35ft like the fastest normal race

>Grapple enemy
>Carry them into the air
>Drop them

>Fly to top of tower
>Break straight into boss's room
>Deploy explosives andrun

>Basically has a level 3 concentration spell on them active all the time without concentration

A DM can work around most of these problems, but the same goes for almost anything that's broken.
>>
>>52189174
>Grapple enemy
>Carry them into the air
>Drop them
Think people are too heavy carry whilst flying
>Basically has a level 3 concentration spell on them active all the time without concentration
At the expense of other racial abilities. Tieflings have resistance to fire damage, and variant tieflings can fly regardless of armor type IIRC. The rest of your points are pretty valid though
>>
>>52186757
I read the base class and archetypes for the mystic but couldn't be arsed to wade through 15 pages of not!spells

Could someone give me some kind of high speed rundown of what the shit is?
>>
>>52189253
Lets not forget that as Aaracokra your Str won't be that high so "grappling" won't be that easy. Also you move half speed, so at best that's 25 ft drop, 2d6 damage, nothing to brag about.

He also can win the grapple and reduce your speed to 0 and that means you both fall.
>>
>>52189253
The armour restriction is hardly anything when you have +2 dex and if you're a grappler. Because the best grapplers are likely barbarogues, and they have unarmoured defence.

Though monks get a speed boost and can carry them even higher. And they don't need armour.

It should really have specified that you cannot fly if you're carrying too much, yet they still seem to bash on non-light armour, as if trying to encourage people to play warlocks/ranged fighters instead of melee guys when ranged is extremely obnoxious on that sort of a flying character.

If I had to make any changes, I'd probably make it so it's harder to do things while flying. You have disadvantage on certain things (Like ranged attacks) and ... Well, there's still the issue of using mobility to get free disengagement to effectively have 'flyby'.

You could probably make a bear barbarogue that can carry people up high since they double carry capacity at level 6 and can honestly fight naked.
>>
>>52189337
>Be raging
>Have expertise in athletics
>Failing grapples

I mean, sure, yeah, it happens sometimes, but.

I could also see a monk-rogue build being used, though a pure monk might struggle to get reliably successful grapples.
>>
>>52188229
Defensive stuff is probably required, but I was planning on not just making a spell list that looks like an EK. I want some more utility stuff and control spells, and then let most of my damage come from precision attacks against disabled or occupied enemies. Considering we will have a Paladin, a Monk and a Blaster Fiendlock, I don't expect to have a huge need for damage output.
>>
http://www.strawpoll.me/12532696
>>
>>52189304
There is so much it's still too early to short summarize the powers, here is a go.

The Orders are all Archetypes, each pertaining to a certain style of play and all have access to certain disciplines. Consider disciplines are feats that aren't feats for example. You can choose one discipline at level 1 but some orders let you choose two more. While you can choose three disciplines you can only have one and it's active at any given time.

You also have psi talents, consider these cantrips as they are good options for what you will be using your action for every turn.

You have psi points, which are pretty much sorcery points but for directly using abilities. You can spend psi points to activate abilities in your discipline. But there is a psi limit, that's how many psi points you can put into a single use. So you literally can't just spend all 71 psi points at level 20 in one go.

Here is barebones explanations for the orders:

Awakened: Super Psionic
Immortal: Martial Mind Powers Tank
Nomad: *Teleports behind you.*
Soul Knife: Martial Mind Powers Damage
Will Jen: Way of Four Elements but good.

Each has their own disciples, that range from getting better to shoot a ranged weapon, teleporting all the time, reading minds, and being super strong.

Basically pick an order and read about that order's disciplines don't just read cover to cover.
>>
>>52189513
>Swashbuckler

Just get the mobility feat
Wow, done.
>>
>>52189522
Partly right.

>While you can choose three disciplines you can only have one and it's active at any given time.
Focusing on one discipline does not affect your ability to use powers from another. You can gain the passive focus benefit of only one discipline at a time.

>Each has their own disciples, that range from getting better to shoot a ranged weapon, teleporting all the time, reading minds, and being super strong.
True, but note that being a member of an order doesn't restrict your general discipline selection - only the 2 bonus ones you gain at level 1 (Soul Knife does not gain bonus disciplines, and has no disciplines associated with it's order). Note that, though Avatar is the leader/healer archetype, the only actual healing discipline is an Immortal discipline.
>>
Awakened mind has the ability to incept people in an almost unresistable way.

This seems completely broken. Need someone dead? Just incept them into believing they must kill themselves in the next hour or everything they ever loved will be destroyed and their soul will be ground into the wall of the faithless. They need to pass 3 wisdom saving throws to avoid believing this.

That does take an hour of conversation though. So do it in combat with a higher chance of failure with their other discipline. Oh, but in combat you can psychic smite them to give them disadvantage in the saving throw.

Fucking psychic dicks man. They can kill anything sentient in either an hour or two turns with a high degree of reliability.
>>
>>52189629
>So do it in combat with a higher chance of failure with their other discipline.
So what you're saying is you should start a fight with someone so that an hour later they'll kill themselves?

Anon, I daresay you've completely broken this system.
>>
Thinking on going immortal with nomadic leap and mastery of dark and light for nightcrawler chain teleports and darkness shenanigans. Another cheesy non broken idea?
>>
>>52189720
Read the mystic again. There are two disciplines that let you incept people. One takes an hour and is virtually unresistable. The other is usable in combat, instant, and more conventionally resistable, but since you're in combat you can use a third discipline to give them disadvantage on the save.
>>
Has anyone else thought about the possibility of a Mystic and Raven Queen Warlock having problems with each other? The Raven Queen "bids her agents to defeat those who seek to cheat death through undeath or other imitations of immortality" and the 20th level Mystic ability fits the bill there. I think it would be an interesting end to a campaign.
>>
>>52189878
Phantom Idea requires 6 psi points, an hour of concentration and only lasts for a matter of hours.

It's a limited duration mindrape that only inflicts one significant change on the character in question. It's not that powerful and to be honest, if you get into a situation where you can force someone powerful to commit suicide with it, you've earned it.
>>
>>52188984
>but they're totally not
Where the fuck does it say this? It specifically says that the difference between Seelie and Unseelie is because the two women are bitches and not because of the morals of the courts, not that the courts don't have morals.
>>
>>52189174
>Drop them

TRY TO drop them. An enemy is going to try and hold onto you, for obvious reasons.
>>
>>52190063
>the two women

These aren't women. These are Archfey

They are at odds usually because of their oposing roles depending of the context of the real world.

Winter is survival of the fittest, summer is social justice warrior
>>
File: 9c0.jpg (43KB, 600x480px) Image search: [Google]
9c0.jpg
43KB, 600x480px
>entering Limbo this Saturday
>sub 40 HP, 13 AC Bard
>Slaad everywhere

i might need your energy, /5eg/
>>
>>52190574
Roll to seduce
>>
>>52190574

You're a Bard

Rock it
>>
>>52190574
Just use your unbending will to unmake your foes. Oh wait, bards only got charisma.
>>
>>52190627
Do you know how Slaad reproduction works?
>>
>>52190656
Do you?
>>
>>52190326
Summer is not SJW, that's definitely the Unseelie queen, you unrelenting faggot.
>>
>>52190704
>the one I hate is muh SJW because I can't let go of whining about tumblr even in a fucking fantasy rpg
You are both unrelenting faggots
>>
File: slaad.png (1MB, 956x558px) Image search: [Google]
slaad.png
1MB, 956x558px
>>52190676
Yes.
>>
>>52189396
I built just such a character and it's a running joke in my party how I still fail grapple contests
>>
>>52190734
Haha, I don't care about either fey queen over the other, but my point is that the Seelie queen would not be okay with SJWing it is a regression that idiots think is progress not actual progress. I don't bring politics to my games I was just making a point. Also, you're a faggot, too
>>
>>52190751
Hot
>>
Okay guys, my DM thinks that Mystics are fine. I want you to help me make the most overpowered mystic possible to prove him wrong.

Using a single-classed Mystic, how overpowered can you make one at 15th level?
>>
>>52190805
>Help me be an even bigger faggot
No, your dm is a fucking saint already.
>>
>>52190823
This isn't a case of me being That Guy, this is a case of him challenging me to make an overpowered build.
>>
>>52190856
>DM wants his players to have options and to have fun
>wow what a fag better minmax it to hell so he'll see that some classes must be banned!
>>
File: durance.jpg (13KB, 210x330px) Image search: [Google]
durance.jpg
13KB, 210x330px
>>52186850
I thought the appeal of mystics was that you can play a crazy person with supernatural powers. They always reminded me of doctor strange or the like.
>>
>>52190856
I bet you're one of those pfaggots who unironically main wizards and think Bard only became good in 5e because of muh 9th level spells and muh lore secrets.
>>
>>52190805
>how overpowered can you make one at 15th level?
7d10 (As bonus action on your next attack) +7d10 (As an action) +7d6 (As reaction, if enemy fails DC and obstacle in line) +10 (Str+Int) +2d8 (Once per turn to one attack) twice a day
>>
>>52190805
Soul Knife with Brute Force and Psionic Weapon is an okay start. 3d8+7d10+7d6+modifiers on a roll against AC 10 for 14 psi points isn't that shabby at all. Go with Giant Growth if you want extra range, go with Mastery of Wood and Earth if you want to exchange the AC 10 for another 7d10 damage for another 7 psi points, as according to >>52190924. But you might find you do damage more reliably when hitting a foe at AC 10.

But that's just for optimizing your damage. To be honest, the most powerful ability that Mystic has requires no such combo. Just use the Overwhelming Attack option from Mantle of Command in a group with at least two martials in and you'll have the DM begging for mercy.
>>
>>52187652
>
You're a pretty giant fucking dick bro.
>>
>>52190990
By Attack Action do they mean those who have extra attack get all attacks?
>>
>>52191015
Sadly no, as the extra attacks only apply if they take place during the attacker's turn.

For the most part, it's only useful if you've got a rogue on your team, as it enables another sneak attack.
>>
>>52190990
You can select disciplines outside your order?
>>
>>52190990
>Overwhelming Attack

WAIT A SECOND THEY'RE TRYING TO SNEAK IN THE WARLORD

>>52191077
Yeah man. That's why Nomads only have like 4 disciplines
>>
>>52191077
Yes, realize Soul Knife has no disciplines.
>>
File: Arrested Development - Frank.gif (496KB, 200x113px) Image search: [Google]
Arrested Development - Frank.gif
496KB, 200x113px
>new Mystic UA is out
>have my usual session with my table I DM for
>the onslaught of my players with clean character sheets with that look in their eyes as they approach me with utter zeal of a new character idea they want to roll just in case their current one dies
>mfw

gonna be a long week
>>
>>52191098
I kinda just thought they got no disciplines; their section does say they "sacrifice the breadth of knowledge of other orders". Didn't really look it all over though
>>
>>52191077
>>52191131
Yes.

All classes but Soul Knife gets 2 bonus disciplines at 1st level from their archetype's selection of disciplines.

Other than that, any archetype can use any discipline.
>>
>>52191131
If you didn't have disciplines why would you get psy points or recover 2 psy points every time you drop an foe?
>>
>>52188750
I usually characterise Fey in the sense of Sidhe and Unsidhe in my games.

Like, Sidhe (or Seelie) might technically be nicer than Unsidhe/Unseelie. But they're still Fey.

>>52188796
>t. feyposter
>>
>>52191178
>But they're still Fey.
Honorable cousins with a strong sense of honor, the worst of which aren't too different from our very human tribal kings and queens?
>>
>>52191105
I'm so thankful only one of my players is familiar with Unearthed Arcana.
>>
File: dar.png (275KB, 375x405px) Image search: [Google]
dar.png
275KB, 375x405px
>>52190751
That reminds me, we had to get the egg out of one of our friends.

Cut his stomach open and thunderclapped in it. Tabletop abortion.
>>
>>52191217
Same here, also double lucky, his characters grow on him so much he'll never changes char if possible. He also is very stuborn when he make a character and new stuff never deviates his initial idea
>>
>>52191217

My table are pretty passive with UAs and they read it weekly. I'm not sure whether I should feel good cause that means they won't barrage me with questions and ideas but at the same time, I kinda want them to care about UAs cause of new options and they're all just "eh".
>>
>>52189093
Being able to command your teammates in an economical fashion doesn't seem like something that must be inherently magical
>>
>>52189982
Players should never get instant death spells, especially nearly unresistable ones.
>>
>>52191105
It's your fault for allowing any UA to begin with
>>
>>52191305

I don't. Doesn't stop my players from doing this shit every time a UA with character options pop up.
>>
Is meganon here? There seems to be something wrong with the Bestiary. Whenever I set the Type selector to anything but "All Types", it shows nothing.
>>
>>52191262
They're not very often well balanced options. You might as well homebrew up some yourself
>>
>>52186757
With mystic the new speed barriers to dnd 5e is 16720 feet in one round
>>
>>52191301
It requires 1 hour of concentration during which you must remain within 30 feet of the subject along with 6 psi points.

If you're able to do that, you're almost definitely able to kill the character in question with far greater ease.
>>
DMGuild trove is dead? Been months since I visited 5eg.
>>
>>52191301
>1 hour
>Instant
>>
>>52186829
>this guys thinks he'll make it to lvl 20
>>
>>52191351
>>52191344
Read again. Not all of them require one hour. Even the one that does is too good.
>>
>>52191334
Roughly 3800 miles per hour almost hitting mach 5
>>
>>52191317
You must have a soft hand. Gotta slap their shit at the very idea of using UA in an actual campaign. If they bring actual sheets of it openly laugh at them and crumple the sheets on the spot
>>
>>52191105
I sorta know that feel
>Decide to DM for a friend group
>First time but all of us are new
>One guy wants to pick nothing but homebrew races and classes
>Even as a new DM I see they are broken or overshadow everyone else
>He finally gives up and makes a half-orc/dwarf bard with a purple mohawk
>Resist the urge every session to focus his character

Why, why do people when making a character not stop and think "huh how will this impact the table overall?"
>>
>>52188796
Well, huh. That doesn't sound right... Taking the fey from the MM and VGM, they come out as:
>2 neutral good
>1 lawful good
>1 neutral
>5 chaotic neutral
>4 neutral evil
>6 chaotic evil

What a surprise.
>>
>>52191381

We're all good natured about it. It's now like a running joke for us in the table when something new pops-up. I guess it's now those things I can't stand but can't live without as it's part of our own table culture.

That and I'm tempted to run an off-campaign that's not so serious where we all do the UA shit and see what broken things they can do in it.
>>
>>52191372
What's the discipline that convinces someone to kill themselves as an action? I'm curious.
>>
>>52191373
Moving at least one mile a second
>>
>>52191372
>Read again
The irony is strong in this one
>>
>>52191408
Occluded mind in the telepathic contact discipline. Choose as your statement "I must kill myself immediately."
>>
>>52191445
>Believes an statement
I must kill muyself immediately wouldn't fly in literally everyone I know... because that's not entirely a statement
>>
File: spon.png (390KB, 617x501px) Image search: [Google]
spon.png
390KB, 617x501px
>>52191445
At my table, at least, we always run under the rule of charming keeping the caveat of "the person cant do anything outright harmful to themselves".
>>
>>52189396
>Plan on playing a Monk/Rogue build
>Never even thought of using it for grappling

Then again I was going more for assassin with Shadow Monk.
>>
File: wiz.pdf (515KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
wiz.pdf
515KB, 1x1px
>>52186757
>How weird should magic be?

I plan to remove the sorcerers from my campaign. So, i have slightly redesigned the Wizard.

I know you hate homebrew /tg/, but please give me some feedback.
>>
>>52191496
>Rogue/monk
Monk adds nothing to grappling though
>>
>>52191488
You must not English well, because that literally and exactly is a statement.

>>52191494
And that would be a good caveat to add explicitly to the ability in the rules for the ability. But mearls is incompetent so there you go.

You could do this in v2 of the mystic with the same power. That means somehow this has escaped mearls lazy eye twice.
>>
>>52190805
High Elf Avatar Mystic goes to the fight with 24 AC, the ability to bump it to 31AC, and deals 1d6 + 4d8 + 5 damage with his Booming Blade, with the ability to add 7d10 to that as a bonus action.
>>
>>52191518
Wow, seriously? How?
>>
>>52191496
Monk would actually hamper your grappling potency. Besides that stunning strike does more or less the same thing far more efficiently
>>
>>52191514
Fair enough, it definitely should be there in print.

I'm just gonna run Mystics (possibly, if anybody even picks them as they're all level 7 right now) with the caveat in place as a home rule. Hopefully, like you said, v2 fixes it.
>>
>>52191539
This version of the mystic is v3. We have to hope wizards hires someone competent for v4.
>>
>>52191514
Statements are the kind of sentences that are either true or false.
A statement is an assertion that something is or is not the case. A statement is true if what it asserts is the case, and it is false if what it asserts is not the case.

I must kill myself is neither true nor false.

But you're right, English isn't my first language so maybe I'm introducing the definition my own language has for "statement".
>>
>>52191507
>>52191536
That's why I never thought of using it for grappling. Always saw a Monk as a CCer through the stuns and mobility, the fact that people thought to run it as a grappler is astounding.
>>
>>52191563
"I must kill myself" can be true or false.

Also that isn't a correct definition of statement.
>>
File: 2ea.jpg (11KB, 200x291px) Image search: [Google]
2ea.jpg
11KB, 200x291px
>>52191384
>One guy wants to pick nothing but homebrew races and classes

I recall my table inviting this guy last minute who had his share of DnD and wanted to join us. I was all for it even at short notice and they lend me his email so I can discuss pre-session shit

>after salutations and easing up a bit we talk about his character
>he asks if it's okay he can bring over his character from a dead campaign he had when the DM couldn't push it anymore
>says it's level 6-7 which is the same as the current party I'm DMing
>tell him I wanna check it if he has a PDF or perhaps scanning/taking a screenshot of a character sheet
>"Oh I should have a hardcopy here. Lemme scan it"
>then suddenly drops that it's a homebrew class which the DM in the previous campaign was alright with
>"btw while i scan, here's the link where I got the homebrewed class. I think the stuff there are pretty creative"
>links http://dandwiki.com

Fortunately, he was alright re-rolling a new class in accordance to the PHB and we all had a good old time.
>>
>>52191579
Well they should logically be good at it, considering they are the hand to hand martial artist class and focused on disabling/battlefield control. Just turns out the mechanics are shit
>>
>>52191445
Good luck getting a DM to actually go along with that line of logic.

Why wouldn't that follow exactly the same rules as Suggestion?
>>
>>52191592
>That link

Jesus it's the same place he was pulling shit from. He wanted to play the Dragon Knight in the 5e section, it literally gives you a pseudo-dragon at lvl 1 that eventually levels up to roughly an ancient at later levels. Oh also gives you "perks" at certain levels that are more often than not a feat for free.
>>
>>52191535
Inertial Armor gives 14 + Dex, (19AC), wields a shield (21AC), focuses on Iron Durability (22AC) and has Tough Hide (24AC). Iron Hide can bump that to 31AC if needed.
>>
>>52191623
Because this is a playtest, not everything is worded correctly
>>
>>52191305
>It's your fault for allowing any UA to begin with
If you don't allow players to use UA material, you're effectively reducing the potential pool of testing candidates who could be submitting feedback to Wizards in hopes they'll refine what people like you see as a problem with such material before it eventually goes to print. In other words, your issues with UA material is pretty much a viscous cycle where you refuse to use it because it's imbalanced, but it's "imbalanced" because it hasn't had the chance to be tested.

Oh, and there's also the little-known DM secret of simply homebrewing your own changes.
>>
>>52191623
>Why wouldn't that follow exactly the same rules as Suggestion?
Because it's worded completely differently from suggestion, and doesn't include any of the limitations about reasonableness of suggestion.

It should, and so obviously should, but doesn't.

That's like asking why the attack action shouldn't follow the same rules as cantrips. Because they have different written rules.
>>
>>52191585
He's kinda right, same with "I must kill myself immediately", the moment you say it is neither true nor false. If you want to turn it into a statement make it be like "My death will bring peace to the world", that is a statement.

"I must eat" isn't an statement, "humans need to eat to survive" is. Dunno if you get it.
>>
>>52191501
>wizard
its shit
>>
>>52191659
>implying wizards doesn't playtest this shit rigorously or that crawford would let this be put in a book as is
No, just no, it won't happen, player feedback from outside the company is great, but it isn't necessary and the survey goes up in a week nobody will have tested that in that time, particularly the higher level features, and even if they have how long will the survey be there?
>>
>>52191445
Millions of people in the world believe that they should kill themselves. Doesn't mean that they actually have the guts to go through with it, especially when they're in the heat of fighting someone else.
>>
>>52191105
The on UA you should allow is revised ranger. All of the rest are unnecessary and I sure as hell won't be flipping through a half baked 28 page Mystic ability book everytime someone wants to use an ability. Spell book is long enough
>>
>>52191721
I must eat is a statement that can be true or false. It is true for humans saying it. It is not true for gods that say it. etc, etc. This is basic English, and you're failing.
>>
>>52187112
And creatures are automatically aware of magic effecting them unless stated.
>>
>>52191750

Revised Ranger is great. When that came out, I allowed my Ranger to switch to that with fluff being he trained with his mentor once more during downtime and learned new shit and also had to review old tricks from the old man.
>>
>>52191445
>>52191301
>>52189629
I cast Suggestion and I suggest to the creature that I am targeting that it is immortal and it should display its immortality by slitting its own throat, which is not an obviously harmful action because the creature believes that it's immortal.

Instant kill spells have always existed.
>>
>>52191644
Read the dragon circle druid for true OP.
>>
>>52191800
Even if its immortal that would still cause it harm.
>>
>>52191732
It's shit because wizard or it's shit because ...reasons?
>>
>>52191856
If you believe that, swap immortal for 'impervious to harm.'
>>
>>52191856
Change immortal for indestructible or made of steel
>>
I believe that if I study I'll have more chances to pass my exams that if I don't...that's not a necessary and sufficient condition for me to study though
>>
File: 1273199172989.gif (551KB, 304x168px) Image search: [Google]
1273199172989.gif
551KB, 304x168px
>>52191921
>>52191921
>>52191921
>>52191921

New thread, lads
>>
>>52191739
Fair enough:

"Killing myself immediately would be the most joyous experience possible."

"Killing myself would make my children safe and happy forevermore."

etc, etc.

Or I suppose you could just Broken Will it to pick up a dagger and slit it's throat. Only 5 psi points.
>>
>>52191937
40 minutes late

>>52191428
>>52191428
>>52191428
>>
>>52191965
>>52191937
WAY too fucking early lads.
>>
>>52190914
>main wizards
Does anyone actually "main" a class?

That sounds like completely idiocy.
>>
>>52192088
Yeah, and how many idiots play D&D?
>>
>>52192127
No, you don't understand.

Even idiots see the point of options. Most dnd idiots love homebrew and UA for their retarded unbalanced rules.

"Maining" a class is the equivalent of saying "fuck options, all my characters has to be this specific thing, even if it makes them all play mostly the same."

It makes no sense.
>>
>>52192249
Not all idiots do see that, all I'm saying. You're also forgetting don't have to ONLY play wizard to "main" it, just usually.
I'm not the anon you originally responded to by the way.
>>
File: 1434487428700.gif (2MB, 252x280px) Image search: [Google]
1434487428700.gif
2MB, 252x280px
>>52186834
>shitty cuchulainn tiefling
>with a gae bolga made entirely of steel???
Fuck off, I would hate you if you brought that to a table.
>>
>>52191579
>>52191507
Monk has extra attack (Two grapples/shoves) + a bonus attack (So even if you shove/grapple you still deal damage, problem is you can't sneak attack with that), they have a fast speed (To drag enemies further when you grapple them and then move) and rogue gives expertise.

Though you can use the dodge action or stun someone after grappling. Actually, do stunned enemies have problems resisting grapples

Then there's monk synergy like wisdom+dex being good (High passive perception rogue and dex, and up to 20 AC rather than 17)

... In the end, the barbarian still has +10ft speed and honestly is probably better.
>>
>>52191105
Why not give them the shit eating grin saying you don't allow mystic?

Seriously i pick the UA stuff through and say which is okay on my table and which isn't.

For example I won't allow the Mystic, Lore wizard , Undying light warlock, neither of the two monk archetypes...
Thread posts: 388
Thread images: 41

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.