[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Science Fiction and Fantasy General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 319
Thread images: 39

File: Bar_wench.jpg (91KB, 737x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Bar_wench.jpg
91KB, 737x1000px
Bar Wench Edition

Recommendations:
>Fantasy
http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/4chanlit/images/a/a8/1307836551252.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20110612005642

>Sci-Fi
http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/4chanlit/images/a/a6/Scifilit.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20100710233344
http://imgur.com/r55ODlL
http://imgur.com/A96mTQX

>What are you currently reading
>What are your favorite memories with stories involving bar wenches?
>Which author writes the best and most believable Bar Wench scenes that makes you want to sample the wares?

Old thread >>7651355
>>
>>7667526
>wheel of time and goodkind in recommendations
people actually enjoyed these books?
>>
>>7667526
>reading
Currently nothing, but I'm staring at Conan right now and doing nothing with it.

I might pick up a random book by an author I never heard about and give them a go, and report back if it 's tolerable.
>>
>reading
Deadhouse gates

Having trouble remembering names /who's who and what's where.
>>
Just now started heavily reading fantasy based on recommendations from co-workers. Just finished Kingkiller chronicle and the first mistborn book, I'm pretty impressed, having gone 18 years or so without reading more than the necessary amount of fiction I feel like I've missed out.
>>
File: 9780385267472_l.jpg (57KB, 259x400px) Image search: [Google]
9780385267472_l.jpg
57KB, 259x400px
>tfw finished this

Great book, wonderful conclusion to the main story of Hyperion. Can't wait to start Endymion. Ear a mormon dick Comserefag.
>>
>>7667773
The Blade Itself series was OK. The ending was extremely disappointing.
>>
>>7667867
Why did you think so? I personally liked it.
>>
kingkiller chronicles, so far amazing
>>
Two threads back an anon convinced me to keep reading Lewis' space trilogy, so I started Perelandra last night. Picked up Neuromancer for a quarter at a library book sale this morning.
>>
>>7667965
Neuromacer is extremely overrated IMO. I hope you like it.
>>
>>7667977
Who knows when I'll get to it honestly. My shelf is overstuffed of unread shit
>>
>>7667851
Me too, just like you. I really liked it, its a very good universe.
>>
Is Fevre Dreams GRRM best work?

I've only read a few of his works but that novel for me was quite clearly a league ahead of the rest.
>>
>>7667526
Tika Majere best barwench
>>
>>7667999
No, it is ASOIAF.
This contrarianism gets on my nerves.
Despite occasional bad writing, his main and largest work is brilliant fantasy storytelling with a lot of attention devoted to every detail and character. You are aware that most of the other epic fantasy you guys read here is objectively inferior to Song?
>>
>>7668014
>occasional

>objectively inferior
k
Care to explain why?

And the ASOIAF novels get rather boring after a while which is not an uncommon opinion.
Longer series as opposed to stand alone novels also tend to get overrated
>>
>>7668026
/lit/ makes the Song seem like some Twilight young adult bullshit while it praises Wheel of Time, The Blade Itself and Malazan. Neither is literary light years ahead of the Song, they're all about the same quality. And many other things are simply yes, inferior. But of course, GoT became a TV show and every other pleb read it so its immidiatelly disqualified even though I remember it was once praised. Its annoying and immature. You guys can't appreciate epic fantasy with a legit good building and rich world with great drama, plot and the characters. And you ask if Fevre Dream is his best work? Compared to the Song it seems like a story he wrote on a holiday, he probably doesn't even care for it much.
>>
>>7668054
>/lit/ is one person
>>
>>7668014
>>7668054
I agree with you anon. I hate the fucking contrarianism. I do still think First Law is somewhat slightly better though.
>>
>>7668054
Other than that one retard from a while back, I don't think anybody in these threads like Wheel of Time. Malazan is barely discussed, and same with The First Law.
>>
>>7668054
You're just making retarded assumptions and acting like /lit/ is one big hivemind.
I wasn't a fan of the ASOIAF novels long before the tv-series was announced.

Also Wheel of Time is shit, especially the later novels.
Pure distilled shit and I can't think of anyone recently who said a good word about WoT

And I wouldn't call ASOIAF "epic fantasy", Mediaval fantasy describes it much better.

>>7668088
>People with different opinions from me are automatically contrarians.

The Ice and Fire novels just drag on and on, it's honestly boring.
>>
Not sure what I should read next. The Lightbringer series by Brent Weeks? It's wrapping up at the end of 2016 so I'll be right in time for the final. But is it worth reading?

I'm also thinking about reading Elantris by Brandon Sanderson or starting Mistborn. I haven't read the stormlight archive yet either.
>>
File: Complete_chronicles_of_conan.jpg (45KB, 200x300px) Image search: [Google]
Complete_chronicles_of_conan.jpg
45KB, 200x300px
>>7667700
Go for it if you mean The Complete Chronicles of Conan and not Detective Conan, ignore "The Hyborian Age" though if you find it boring, it made me put the book away for another year. The Phoenix on the Sword is a good starting point for that book in my opinion, gives you a feel for the setting way better than the The Hyborian Age, which really hasn't much of a merit except telling you about history AFTER The Age of Conan.
>>
What do you guys think of Guy Gavriel Kay?
>>
File: dresden.png (19KB, 769x423px) Image search: [Google]
dresden.png
19KB, 769x423px
I want to murder the anon that recommend this to me.

Why do you do this to your fellow anons, anon?
>>
>>7668200
I-It gets better
>>
>>7668194
Started one of his but nothing grabbed me fast, haven't been back. Should I?
>>
>>7668355
I've heard that he improved his writing in the later novels.
>>
>>7668373
This is the same shit people say about Dresden Files and we all know it's a damn lie.
>>
>>7668419
I wouldn't say it is. It might not necessarily be good with the later books, but it's an improvement over the earlier ones.
>>
>>7668419
Dresden Files are 15 novels of a series.

Gavriel's longest series is a trilogy.
And another with 2 parts.
Rest is stand alone.
He hasn't even released 15 novels.

You can literally just pick up his newest novels and judge for yourself.
Tigano is probably his best work even though his writing did improve.

With Dresden Files you're just being deceived into reading another 5.

Gavriel has always been a better writer than Jim Butcher either way

I'm not going to trick people into reading long series that have a never ending promise of getting better.
Most of Gavriel his work is stand alone.
>>
File: IainMBanksTheAlgebraist.jpg (5KB, 318x475px) Image search: [Google]
IainMBanksTheAlgebraist.jpg
5KB, 318x475px
Thanks for the recommendations. Just finished The Algebraist, really enjoyed it.
>>
>>7668200
These threads have a dangerous amounts of plebs. Seriously, if you are taking recs here make sure it's established quality authors.
>>
thanks to the anon for recommending the vagina ass of lucifer niggerbastard in the last thread

starting on razor wire pubic hair next
>>
>>7667851
You mean you weren't disgusted by the shitty deus ex machina ending?

That series has some of the worst endings I've ever seen in fiction. Simmons is like King.
>>
>>7668465
still got pretty much all of Banks' science fiction stuff on my shelf but only read the first 4 Culture books, I really really need to start with the rest but my backlog is so huge and I constantly add new books to my collection.
FUCK!
>>
>>7668486
Sounds like you are having a lot of fun anon
>>
>>7668488
Not really. I felt it was a pretty good resolution, and I don't need literally everything spelled out for me to enjoy something.
>>
>>7668172
Mistborn is already finished, at least the first trilogy is and it's much better than Lightbringer. Weeks' entire thing is that he's a Sanderson copycat.
>>
>>7668528
Lolno, Weeks' first trilogy was nothing like Sanderson's but the first Lightbringer is a definite copy.
>>
>tfw you have a solid, complicated mythology written up in your head but you can't write well enough to implement it
>>
>>7668471
Yeah, it's unfortunate. This used to be a place of taste earlier last year, but all the /tg/ plebs are bringing down the quality.
>>
>>7668523
>don't need literally everything spelled out
That's not even the problem, Simmons makes no attempt to even resolve conflicts in any logical way beyond 'lol future magic'. Not about spelling things out so much as making a lick of sense and not pulling plot twists out of his ass.

It becomes really evident he just made the whole thing up as he went when you finish the series. I still enjoyed it a lot though.
>>
>>7668548
Other than Brawne getting the magic, everything else made sense given the world. I liked how they defeated the core.
>>
>>7668543
when I woke up after a good night's sleep a few weeks back I had that idea of an incredible setting for a science fiction novel, but instead of trying to articulate it, I went back to sleep and now I can only remember that it was awesome.
I wouldn't have been able to get it to paper in any case as my prose is absolute shit.
>>
>>7668556
I have 90% of it down on text file in my dropbox.

I managed to create something that blends the most esoteric branches of physics with gnosticism, shintoism, and a half dozen other world mythologies, oh, and also time travel mechanic because why the fuck not
>>
>>7667526
While I was in prison for 5 years I read most all of the TOR Classics. I can honestly say there are about 80% gems in there.
>>
>>7668597
and as far as bar scenes go Id say the first DND book With the Wereboar would have to be the most believable in more ways than one... OUAG KEEP! jesus I couldnt remember it for the best of me.
>>
>>7668597
why were you in prison?
>>
After looking through the recs I see that neither Peter Watts nor Hannu Rajaniemi are included - that's a serious oversight. They're right there with Stross, Reynolds, Egan, Stephenson and Morgan in the modern pantheon.
>>
>>7668689
update it
>>
File: 89.jpg (138KB, 600x1020px) Image search: [Google]
89.jpg
138KB, 600x1020px
Quick Stephen Baxter question - love the guy, but never got into the Xeelee Sequence which is supposed to be his masterpiece. I got pic related, can I start with that as a standalone or does it need previous knowledge of the universe? It seems to be mostly stuff that was published earlier.
>>
>>7668172
Read the Seventh Tower by Garth Nix instead
Does the whole light colour magic much better in my opinion
Also just my opinion something about Brent Weeks writing and theme bugs me
Comes across as post-modernist fantasy
>>
>>7668825
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xeelee_Sequence

>When asked directly for a suggested reading order, the author wrote: "I hope that all the books and indeed the stories can be read stand-alone. I’m not a great fan of books that end with cliff-hangers. So you could go in anywhere. One way would be to start with ‘Vacuum Diagrams’, a collection that sets out the overall story of the universe. Then ‘Timelike Infinity’ and ‘Ring’ which tell the story of Michael Poole, then ‘Raft’ and ‘Flux’ which are really incidents against the wider background, and finally ‘Destiny’s Children.’"
>>
>>7668014
Second Apocalypse blows the fuck out of ASOIAF

And it's actually going to be finished this year
>>
>>7668913
Ahh, perfect. Thanks anon (now I feel a bit stupid for not checking wiki first...)
>>
>>7668967
Second Apocalypse is constantly let down by the shitty characterization.
>>
>>7667526
What is the best sci fi book series right now and why is it the expanse?
>>
>>7669017
It's The Use of Weapons.
>>
>>7668989
I'll need some examples. I'll admit his characterization isnt as colorful as GRRMs but it defintely gets the job done
>>
>>7669042
that series doesn't exist
>>
>>7669062
>Implying there's any reason not to bypass the series and go to the best book.

The Culture is written so that you can start at any point. There are never retrospective spoilers due to the chronological time differences between each book.
>>
>>7669065
but it isn't even the best book, that's player of games.
>>
>>7669089
Player of Games is 2nd.
>>
Just started The Foundation Trilogy for the first time today and holy fuck I haven't been grabbed by a novel this fast in ages, not since I read Dune years ago. The fact that this was written in the 50's just blows me away. I've always been meaning to read Asimov for years now but was stuck on fantasy for a long long time and coming back to scifi since Dune is one of my favorites, sad as fuck for not reading this earlier.
>>
>>7668628
Aggravated homosexual assault and conspiracy to commit aggravated homosexual assault.
>>
>>7669238
so you fit right in in prison huh?

Was like a wet dream made flesh?
>>
File: riiight.webm (739KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
riiight.webm
739KB, 1280x720px
>>7668689
>Stross
Might as well add Doctorow while.
>>
>>7669042
False.

Expanse is better because its loosely associated with GRRM, the greatest writer of our age, he may have even sneezed on it one time while it was being written.
>>
>>7669238
are you hot?
>>
>>7667977
What in particular makes you say that?
>>
>>7668301
that's actually a very good suggestion, thanks
>>
>>7669238
so you fit right in on /lit/
>>
File: 1447017065856.png (478KB, 617x621px) Image search: [Google]
1447017065856.png
478KB, 617x621px
>>7669238
But are you cute?
>>
what do I do with a story concept I can't do anything with?

The story is just too complicated for me to work on now and the one WIP I put out got overwhelming poor reviews on everything except ambiance but the mythology behind it and two of the loose character concepts are a labor of love I don't want to to trash
>>
>>7668628
probably a pedo, most scifi and fantasy fans are uncontrollable pedophiles.
>>
>>7669518
Workshop it into something good. I highly recommend "The Art of Dramatic Writing", it helped me get my shit together in finding out exactly where my stories are going
>>
>>7669538
workshop it?
>>
>>7669609
As in just lay out everything and work out the ABCs of it. That book helped me in doing that.

I guess you probably could take it to a professional or writers guild but I dont know anything about that.
>>
>>7669518
revise revise revise
the recommendation for lajos egri is a good one >>7669538
also maass' writing the breakout novel workbook has lots of tips how to strengthen your story
>>
>>7667897
Please leave
>>
>>7667526
Stories of Your Life and Others - Ted Chiang. Awesome so far.
>Those other two questions
Why are the OP questions so shit lately?
>>
>>7668194
I liked Lions of Al-Rassan although there were a couple of habits he has that bordered on the obnoxious.
>>
>>7668967
>And it's actually going to be finished this year
He has another duology planned after the current trilogy. Unless he's decided to drop it.
>>
>>7669827
oh damn, didnt even know about that, its till set in Earwa?
>>
File: 10803121.jpg (40KB, 305x475px) Image search: [Google]
10803121.jpg
40KB, 305x475px
>>7667526

Alloy of Law,I'm liking it more than the original Mistborn stuff so far, the dialogue feels a lot better.
>>
I read Mistborn and I was wondering if Sanderson's Stormlight Archive series is better than Mistborn? Does it improve upon Sanderson's bad points?

I liked the magic system in Mistborn and the world, but I didn't like how characters were either good or evil. No gray zones. It felt a bit like young adult fiction and I'm not interested in reading a plot of that level again.
>>
>>7670060

I don't have the most informed opinion on this, since I'm only halfway through the first Mistborn book, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. I've read both of the Stormlight Archive books and I thought they were much better than what I've read of the first Mistborn book so far.
>>
>>7669238
Pic please
>>
>>7669105

no, thats Surface Detail. Player of Games is 3rd.
>>
>>7669838
I would assume so since it's a continuation of the series...
>>
>>7670060
Good vs evil fantasy is all Sanderson writes. There are elements of sympathetic villains or antiheroes, but this is not gritty fantasy where you're not sure who the good guy is.

That's probably why he's so popular considering how flooded the market is with grimdark Martin imitations.
>>
>>7670060
Yes it's better.
>>
>>7668471
Seconding, and no offense meant seriously but the people posting in this thread so far have particularly bad taste.
>>
>>7668689
The rec graphic was made before either Watts or Rajaniemi were published, or at least well known.
>>
>>7668200
Kek you shouldve known anything larger than 3-4 books is a huge red flag

The only exception i can think of is Bakker, but its technically 2 seperate trilogies
>>
>>7668825
Vacuum Diagrams is all short stories. I've read it, and I think it's a good introduction to the Xeelee material. If there's a particular short story in there you like, there's probably a novel written in that time period.

To be honest I thought Xeelee had some interesting ideas but ultimately left me a bit underwhelmed. Baxter wrote it before transhumanist ideas really took off, and LOL NERD RAPTURE shit aside I find it hard to believe that baseline humans are going to be tooling around in FTL ships millions/billions of years into the future. Maybe at this point '90s SF just goes in the "retro" category.
>>
>>7669353
I Will Fear No Evil is objectively not a good book, but I guess it is pretty good fetish material, if you're into that kind of thing.
>>
File: lovecraft+leather[1].jpg (17KB, 138x200px) Image search: [Google]
lovecraft+leather[1].jpg
17KB, 138x200px
I just finished reading pic related. Honestly better than I thought.

At the end was some essay Lovecraft wrote about the history of weird fiction. Pretty dry, but he kept making the point that his writing and "weird" stuff in general just didn't appeal to most people (HPL blamed it on a lack of imagination/"sensitivity").

He's definitely right. I was also totally entranced by The Night Land, which most people can't even read ten pages of. I had always blamed modern impatience with Lovecraft et al on horror cinema--which is fundamentally much more sensually engaging than literature--but I guess people have always been plebs.
>>
>>7669817
It has to change, will you keep asking about dragons every thread?(are you autistic by chance?)

You can make your own thread if you like, people have the general on page 9 and no new thread is made.

>Why are the OP questions so shit lately?
>implying the rape thread wasn't the best
>>
File: 960.jpg (55KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
960.jpg
55KB, 960x540px
>>7670095
Please no bully
>>
Could anyone recommend me sword and sorcery with a female main?
I knew of one but forgot the name of it.
>>
>>7670643
No
>>
>>7670468
The fuck are you talking about? I said your shitty bar wench questions were shitty, what the fuck does that have to do with dragons and autism? Get the fuck outta here.
>>
>>7670116
Then what's first?

Surface Detail isn't that good. It's just another one like Matter(Which is the most based of them) and the Hydrogen Sonata. The Use of Weapons is an undeniable 1st. Player of Games is the only one that comes close.
>>
File: 18966806.jpg (29KB, 313x475px) Image search: [Google]
18966806.jpg
29KB, 313x475px
Any hear anything about ebooks floating around for the new Red Rising book?

I think it's out officially in 2 days, but I'm sure it's leaked by now.
>>
Post your top three fantasy novels (if series, trilogy at most). I want to see what the veterans here consider great and add some to my to-read list.

I'll start:
1. Mervyn Peake – Gormenghast
2 .Neil Gaiman – American Gods
3. Susanna Clarke – Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell
>>
1. Book of the New Sun (4 books)
2. Second Apocalypse (2 trilogies)
3. The Lies of Locke Lamora
>>
>>7670829
1. Joe Abercrombie - First Law trilogy
2. Neil Gaiman, Terry Pratchett - Good Omens
3. GRRM - ASOIAF (get over it)
>>
>>7670842
Is it a /lit/ trend to hate GRRM? Is no board safe from 4chan contrarianism?
>>
>>7670842
lol already defensive because you're scared to defend you're shit taste.
I'm provoking you.

>>7670858
If Rubio wants to come back in the race he should bring some motor oil to the next debate and make the whole robot thing into a joke.
That's the #1 way to do a comeback.
>>
>>7670879
>>7670842
It's way bigger than a trilogy.
>>
>>7670879
sadly
>>7670884
Oh yeah, you are right there. I think I'd go with Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell as well if I had to replace that then.
>>
The Wheel of Time series has some great stories about bar wenches. practically half the story takes place inside taverns
>>
>>7670879
>Having an opinion that differs from mine is contrarianism

>>7670890
>people having a different opinion is sad
>>
>>7667897
A story of a cuckold
>>
Anyone read The Quantum Thief, The Fractal Prince and The Causal Angel by Hannu Rajaniemi? Wondering are they worth reading.
>>
>>7670892
No I don't like him either, but not for contrarian reasons
>>
>>7670643
Jirel of Joiry
>>
>>7670829
Farseer Trilogy
Book of the New Sun
Small Gods (Discworld)

If we were allowed larger series, I would've added Stormlight Archive in place of Small Gods.
>>
>>7670769
Use of Weapons felt just like some random war memoirs plus a twist at the end. Sure, I WAS surprised, but still it didn't really strike me as the best Culture book. Player of Games as a whole felt so much better, especially since the main character, compared to that one of Use of Weapons was basically an Average Joe in all regards except for his game playing ability, and there was actually some proper interaction within The Culture itself, which was quite engaging for a change.
>>
>>7670913
I read the first two but gave up on the third as it was released so much later that I'd totally lost track of the plot and could no longer remember the difference between a gubernya and a q-dot. They're definitely worth a go.
>>
>>7671109
Actual spoilers
The war memoirs and story built up the main character as a classic war hero in the culture vain. The twist completely shattered that and, in a non-preachy way, offered a pretty poignant comment about our societies relationship with war.

The Player of Games didn't quite pull off the aliens as well as I felt it should have, but I can see why people dig it.
>>
>>7670829
1. Tolkien: LOTR
2. Ursula K Le Guin: Earthsea 1, 2, 3
3. Gene Wolfe: Latro in the Mist
>>
File: Vampire_Hunter_D_Volume_1_Cover.jpg (36KB, 400x574px) Image search: [Google]
Vampire_Hunter_D_Volume_1_Cover.jpg
36KB, 400x574px
So who here has read Vampire Hunter D? I just started reading it and although the prose can be awkward at times it's still enjoyable.
>>
File: emp_blades_series_header2.jpg (38KB, 600x315px) Image search: [Google]
emp_blades_series_header2.jpg
38KB, 600x315px
>just finished Count Zero
>have to keep my pattern of reading 2 fantasy books for every william gibson book I read
>order The Emperor's Blades because it might be cool

HNNNGH

I love this series so much already, holy shit. The cover of the book didn't make it look too interesting, but I learned not to judge the proverbial book by its cover when I first read Legend by Gemmell.

Anyway, the books:

Three different POVs, each one following one of the (ded) emperor's children.

One son is in a training camp for the empire's medieval airborne special forces that drop from giant birds and blow shit up on their tropical training island. So far, the book mainly focuses on his POV.
The other son is the actualy heir to the throne but is locked away in a mountain monastery, where they beat him bloody and bury him alive and shit to teach him some zen stuff while he is busy not being assassinated.
His daughter is left in the capital as minister of finance, where she tries to get the apparently immortal priest killed that stabbed her father.

Fuck me, that series has so much stuff that I miss in other fantasy.
I'm almost finished with the first book and there's already been more assassination badassery, man-eating monsters, blown up taverns and mutilated corpses than in most of the stuff I've read so far.
What I especially like is the very pleasant lack of Mary Sue and Gary Stu characters. No invincible fedora tipping edgemaster assassins, no beautiful princesses charming their way through all problems. Just people who are in way over their head.

After reading the prologue I thought it was going to be some long winded Malazan tier stuff, then I read the first chapter (monk finds goat with its brain eaten) and the story picked up in pace. When I made it to page 24, finally the "special forces" section kicked in and I knew I was going to love this shit. So far, I haven't been disappointed. Also, nothing of the above really spoilers anything, it just sets the premise for the entire plot.

TL;DR
For me, that guy is easily on one level with Cook and Cameron, definitely above GRRM (maybe because I cant stand his shit anymore, don't know) and well worth a read if you like military fantasy, magic, political intrigue, character development and those moments where you look something up 80 pages back and suddenly go AHA!
Also a good books if you're tired of sparkling wonderboys covered head to toe in fucking plot armor.
PS: I ordered the book used on amazon through a marketplace seller. I wanted to order another book from the SAME seller and they wanted to charge me witch 2 fucking shipping fees. Is there a way to avoid paying 2x shipping fees if it's ONE order from the same seller containing two books?
>>
>>7671357
>PS: I ordered the book used on amazon through a marketplace seller. I wanted to order another book from the SAME seller and they wanted to charge me witch 2 fucking shipping fees. Is there a way to avoid paying 2x shipping fees if it's ONE order from the same seller containing two books?

I should add that we're talking about overseas shipping fees here.
Not that I would have made a bad deal even IF I ordered both books at once, but I still thought it odd to pay twice for shipping when I bet my ass they would've put both books into the same parcel.
>>
What are some good modern works that stick to one POV? Preferably standalone

I noticed the latest trend is having a billion POVs but the quality is always rather sporadic. Quality over quantity.
>>
>>7671379
George R R Martin "A Song of Ice and Fire"
>>
>>7671379
Kingkiller Chronicles was like this. However, a good handful of people from here didn't like it. I did.
>>
>>7671379
>>7671469

George R.R. Martin's friend's "The Expanse"
>>
Does anyone have a recommended Moorcock reading list?
>>
>>7670817

Isn't that just Hunger Games (IN SPACE)?
>>
>>7671587
I loved his first Elric novel, but it's pretty mediocre after that.
>>
Thoughts on Station Eleven? Worth reading?
>>
File: dragons and shit.jpg (186KB, 500x700px) Image search: [Google]
dragons and shit.jpg
186KB, 500x700px
Thinking of checking out the Temeraire series.

can anyone tell me if it's shit or not?
>>
>>7671469
>>7671558
I know for a fact thats a lie since Expanse bounces between 2 POVs for the first book, then 2-3 more in the other two - having read them myself.

>>7671475
Alright thats one, guess its worth looking into
>>
>>7671475
The first book was great, it's the second book that takes a dive into the shitter.
>>
File: Weeks_NightAngelOmnibus_TP.jpg (234KB, 500x780px) Image search: [Google]
Weeks_NightAngelOmnibus_TP.jpg
234KB, 500x780px
I really enjoyed the Night Angel Trilogy. I was put off by the CVS romance tier cover art originally but I really enjoyed it.
>>
Other than I, Robot, what are some novels where the protagonists are AI or robots?
>>
>>7672727
One of the narrators in Fall of Hyperion is an AI.
>>
>>7670829
Vurt by Jeff Noon
the Chronicles of Amber by Roger Zelazny (it's 5 books)
Hild by Nicola Griffith
>>
>>7670643
Jirel of Joiry
By the Sword by Mercedes Lackey
>>
>>7672415
Not standalone but Farseer and Tawny Man trilogies are single POV. So is almost everything Gene Wolfe has written.

Just in case you haven't already read it, I have to mention Hobbit as well.
>>
>>7671357
>Is there a way to avoid paying 2x shipping fees if it's ONE order from the same seller containing two books?
They get the envelopes in bulk, they're not going to take time out of their day to stuff a bigger envelope just to save you money.
>>
>>7673147
Thanks dude.
>>
>they think there is any sci-fi out there as good as Hyperion
>>
>>7668488
I agree with you...es bulllshiet
>>
Anyone have a good character-driven science fiction like Mote in God's Eye or Spin? Something with a hint of human desperation from something unknowing and unbeatable.
>>
>>7670829
1. Prince of Nothing - R. Scott Bakker
2. Best Served Cold - Joe Abercrombie
3. The Folding Knife - KJ Parker
>>
>>7671379
The Folding Knife or The Hammer by KJ Parker
Last Dragon by JM McDermott
The Scar by China Mieville had only one POV I think
>>
>>7667526
im reading Consider Phlebas by Iain M.Banks, Assassins Quest by Robin Hobb, i just finished Starship Troopers and started Horus Rising. Starship Troopers is hugely over rated but it was still ok.
>>
>>7667851
i finished hyperion and loves it but i never finished this book. i need to give it another go i guess.
>>
>>7670829
Powder Mage - Brian McCellen (trilogy)
The Rigante - David Gemmell (quadrilogy)
Greatcoats - Sebastien de Castell (trilogy, ongoing)

honourable mention for the Macht by Paul Kearney as well
>>
>>7668465
cant go wring with Banks.
>>
File: 1454389770230.png (49KB, 1111x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1454389770230.png
49KB, 1111x1024px
>>7668489
>>
>>7668556
i have a setting ive been mulling around for a few weeks
>>
>>7671357
>>PS: I ordered the book used on amazon through a marketplace seller. I wanted to order another book from the SAME seller and they wanted to charge me witch 2 fucking shipping fees. Is there a way to avoid paying 2x shipping fees if it's ONE order from the same seller containing two books?

they always do that because that's their only way to gain profit. I regularly order over marketplace and have the alternative to order from one of the big shippers there directly (medimops). at their regular site they basically have the difference (€3) already included in the price. when one of their books costs €1 on marketplace it costs like €3.75 at their own site. and some fee goes to amazon as well of course, they want to make some profit of offering the marketplace at all after all.
don't get angry about it, you'll have to accept it because that's how every single marketplace trader deals, you won't get a better deal except for luck-sales on ebay or a used bookstore around the corner.

and yeah, doesn't matter if you live in a town next to them or overseas or on the moon, it's always those €3 or whatever they charge you.
>>
>>7667851
>another person who logically dislikes Hyperion shows up to tell you why it is awful in my place
Neato.

>>7668172
Elantris is a quick read.

>>7668488
He's a lazy fuck, is all.
>introduce intriguing concept(s)
>don't bother to explain the WHY or HOW behind nearly any of them
For what purpose, Simmons? For what fucking purpose?

>>7668538
Which books do Lightbringer copy? If you're talking about Warbreaker then they actually don't.

>>7668901
This.
Seventh Tower was wonderful.
>your face when post-apoc Earth
Nix could write some good shit.

>>7670042
Wax and Wayne have great chemistry.

>>7670060
Stormlight has more shades of grey, especially regarding the different Orders. It wasn't all black and white in Mistborn either although that likely ends after the first book and then you only really find out who the real enemy is around the end of the second book.

>>7670879
>anyone who disagrees with me is a contrarian
Hello newfriend!
>>
>>7670372
>but I guess people have always been plebs
truer words have never been uttered.
>>
>>7670643
vagina monologues
>>
>Hyperion exists
How can anything come close to it
>>
>>7671008
im on the second book of the farseer trilogy and it is amazing
>>
>>7673995
I'm that guy who was shitting on Hyperion's ending.

Just wanted to clarify that I consider the first to be one of the finest pieces of science fiction around. The ending is shit and it's hard not to retroactively hate it because the sequels are so terrible, but I can't deny how enjoyable it is.

>>7674028
Royal Assassin is one of the few books I wish I could forget and read again. Which reminds me, why is Hobb so bad at titles?
>>
>>7671475

Kingkiller Chronicles is abominable. Don't make excuses for it. It's the worst piece of shit that I've tried to read in a decade or so.
>>
>>7673995
>>introduce intriguing concept(s)
>>don't bother to explain the WHY or HOW behind nearly any of them
Jesus Christ, you're one of those fags. You ever stop to think thay not including fake-science gobbledygook enhances a story, rather than being a detriment? Does your autism not allow you to enjoy something unless you know exactly why or how something functions?
>>
>>7670372
Yeah, Lovecraft is my favorite author. Does anyone know any other good weird fiction?
Lord Dunsany and Clark Ashton Smith are awesome.
>>
>>7674017
Back in the caveman times, plebs were eaten. Maybe the next ice age will get rid of them.
>>
>>7671663
the first one was similar plotwise. It skews a bit older, but is still classified as YA though.

I read the first two out of boredom and feel the need to finish the trilogy. They're good page turners imo.
>>
>>7671259
I've been meaning to, but I can't find a torrent of the translations, I don't read moon runes, and I don't want to spend any money.
>>
>>7674751
Robert E Howard has some decent weird fiction/horror, but you're probably already aware of that.

I'd be interested what else is out there too, REH, Lovecraft, Clark Ashton Smith, and Lord Dunsany are pretty much my 4 favorite authors.

Especially Dunsany, there's just the poetic, literary quality to his works that I find lacking in much of the more modern stories I've read.
>>
>>7674751
>>7675088
An anon from /v/ once called me a pleb for liking Lovecraft but not the ones he aped and then proceeded to list the authors. Unfortunately, I lost the list when I switched OS but the guy seriously knew what he was talking about.

Shame, I never got started to read up on them though.
>>
>>7675198
You haven't read a single book on that lost yet you claim he knew what he was talking about?
>>
>>7671663
>>7675018
>>7670817
Some faggot praised this book left to right, and zealously suggested that I should get it.

Well I did, and I'm going to read it after the new iron druid chronicles. It better be the superhuman slugfest with implied gay, rape and incest like the anon said... or there will be consequences.
>>
>>7674755
we can only hope
>>
>>7675290
Just some Dunsany. Anyways, the dude was very convincing. His list segregated stuff like

>terrors from the unknown
>aliens
>insanity
>grotesque
>macabre

and other stuff, with authors and their specific works all before Lovecraft even started writing. He was basically lit horror hipster.
>>
File: howlsmovingcastledwj.jpg (24KB, 269x400px) Image search: [Google]
howlsmovingcastledwj.jpg
24KB, 269x400px
Just finished pic-related. It was a surprisingly fun read, made for a very relaxing weekend. Moving on to Castle in the Air, also have been meaning to buy the newest Mindscape Investigation novel on Amazon to see what Mr. Ward is up to.
>>
>>7675323
It's pretty easy to pretend you know a lot by naming some older authors that get some praise on the internet.

It's like somebody bringing up some older vampire novels than Dracula so he looks smart.
(Carmilla is actually pretty good)
>>
Should I read gardens of the moon?
>>
>>7675873
Depends. Do you want to?

If you do, read it. If you don't, don't.
>>
>>7675922
Alternatively, I have marked some old horror stories (Dracula, Jekyll and Hyde, Frankenstein, Ctulhu) as ''want to read''. Which are more worth?
>>
File: WoR_EPHEMERA-CHULLCYCL_fmt.jpg (384KB, 1379x2048px) Image search: [Google]
WoR_EPHEMERA-CHULLCYCL_fmt.jpg
384KB, 1379x2048px
>>7674280
Hyperion itself was fun. Many enjoyable story arcs, many interesting concepts that were introduced. It was gripping; something different.

I think a lot of people read Hyperion but somehow do not ever become aware that there are three more books in the overall series/'universe', and think that Hyperion alone is everything so they adamantly defend it.

>>7674341
I'm not talking about hard sci-fi. Regular sci-fi can explain important plot elements. Even Fantasy can do that. Any decent story worth anything can, and will, do that. But you'll call me autistic again because that is all newfags can do.
>>
>>7675873
The next novels in the series are much better.
Gardens of the Moon is best described as nigh-unreadable.
Only read it if you want military epic-fantasy specifically

>>7675943
Better go with the classics since they're shorter and less to regret.
>>
Recommend me dark fantasy, preferably in an urban, medieval to renaissance setting.
>>
>>7676072
>tfw don't even know what dark fantasy means
>>
>>7675334
Diana Wynne Jones is the comfiest author ever.
>>
>>7675311
Implied gay. Offscreen rape. Sorely lacking in incest so far.
>>
>>7676072
>in an urban, medieval to renaissance setting.
So anything not sci-fi?
>>
Guys, I've become addicted to reading shitty book reviews on Goodreads. Am I the only one?
>>
>>7676355
Yes
>>
>>7675983
>that pic
It's literally pokemon, people were right, Sanderson does write anime.
>>
>>7676355
Yes.

Do you have any highlights you can share?
>>
>>7668901
I read his Old Kingdom books when I was a it younger and I loved them. It was cool that they had control over the dead using bells, and the river of death was pretty sweet.
>>
I haven't seen anyone mention the Black Company. They definitely enjoying a bar wench or two. Has anyone read past the first three books? Is it worth continuing?
>>
>>7676872
Definitely.
>>
>>7676872
Some people will say otherwise, but it's definitely worth reading all the way through. Only thing to really watch out for is Bleak Seasons, which covers events you will have already surmised by then and not a lot else. Don't skip it, obviously, but it can definitely be a bit of a slog at times. Once you get through that the last three books of the series are fantastic.
>>
File: Titus 1 & 2.jpg (487KB, 2468x2106px) Image search: [Google]
Titus 1 & 2.jpg
487KB, 2468x2106px
>reading
Book 1 of Pic related
>Bar wenches
Ms. Palm from Discworld
>>
Anyone read any of Sara Douglass' works?

Axis Trilogy/Wayfarer Redemption Series, Darkglass Mountain, Threshold, Beyond The Hanging Wall, etc?

I read them as a teenager and quite liked them, was wondering if anyone else liked them (or thought they were utter shit)
>>
>>7673995
>Wax and Wayne

>first time I saw their names next to eachother in such a way
>just now get it

FUCK
>>
>>7677259
>you now realize Mr. Suit is called that not because of his clothing but because a suit is a kind of Set
>>
File: wayofkings_rev_lo.png (970KB, 1046x626px) Image search: [Google]
wayofkings_rev_lo.png
970KB, 1046x626px
>>7667526
I enjoyed the Way of Kings a lot.
>>
File: roadside_picnic.jpg (33KB, 361x528px) Image search: [Google]
roadside_picnic.jpg
33KB, 361x528px
Just finished this book and I really enjoyed it. I also didn't like the movie. Any books similar.

Also how are the books 2001: Space Odyssey, Revelation Space, and the Culture series?
>>
File: 1304656131686.png (42KB, 380x288px) Image search: [Google]
1304656131686.png
42KB, 380x288px
>>7675873
Read it. Did not like it. At all.
>>
File: 1412994668405.jpg (1022KB, 2000x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1412994668405.jpg
1022KB, 2000x1200px
>>7677327
>2001: Space Odyssey
Essentially a movie novelization, easily Clarke's worst.

>Revelation Space
Long winded shit that baits you with a mystery and by the time you finish it you realize you wasted your time.

>the Culture series
Ranges from fantastic to boring. Try Use of Weapons and Player of Games, if you like them then Excession and Surface detail. Someone will probably tell you to read Consider Phlebas, but don't listen. After setting the plot up in the first 30 pages Banks proceeds to make meaningless diversions for 300 pages, making two thirds of the book feel like a bunch of Star Trek episodes of no real consequence. Also take note that you can read the Culture series in any order, but preferably Consider Phlebas before Look to Windward and Use of Weapons Before Surface Detail because of muh references.
>>
>>7668090
I don't think I'm "that one retard from a while back", but I like The Wheel of Time just fine.
>>
>>7668090
I listened to all of The Wheel of Time books. Took me like two months as I listen while I work full time. Robert Jordan burnt me the hell out after like book 12 or some shit. He really seemed to stumble and not advance the plot in the later books he wrote in the series. Sanderson did a pretty good job finishing it all up. You're in for the real long haul if you want to read these. My favorite character ended up being Mat. The whole series should have revolved around him. There were some real memorable moments like when Rand gets captured by the Red Adja. I'd recommend them with someone with A LOT of time on their hands.

I listened to The First Law books a while ago. I remember them being pretty mediocre.
>>
>>7669124
Enjoy! Note that while there are quite a few sequels, and they are entertaining, they're not as good as the original trilogy. Read them in publication order if you continue past the original trilogy.

Also try The Caves of Steel and The Naked Sun, if you enjoy a SF-detective-story with robots.
>>
>>7669124
>not since I read Dune years ago
Dune was awful. Holy fuck.
>>
>>7677452
Can confirm Consider Phlebas is depressing crap with some nasty fetishes.
>>
>>7672485
This 100%. I really thoroughly enjoyed the first book, even went to a signing session by the author. Was pretty pumped for the sequel coming out, but it was so disappointing. I haven't even finished it, everything from the point after he leaves school and goes on his magical sex adventure was both boring and cringe-worthy at the same time.
>>
Trying to read through all the enderverse books chronologically
why is the first formic war trilogy so god awful? I remember the main ender books being a lot of fun as a kid
>>
>>7677538
>This 100%. I really thoroughly enjoyed the first book, even went to a signing session by the author. Was pretty pumped for the sequel coming out, but it was so disappointing. I haven't even finished it, everything from the point after he leaves school and goes on his magical sex adventure was both boring and cringe-worthy at the same time.

I heard the third book was rejected by the editor and needs to be rewritten. The whole sex fantasy thing was kind of weird. When I read it I really liked the whole hand language dude at first. I hadn't listened to many fantasy novels then and thought the idea was pretty neat (then I listened to the whole Belgariad series after and realized that it really wasn't original at all.) Then Kvothe goes to his homeland which was really kind of long and stupid. I hope the last book is better.
>>
>>7677452
>>7677520
yeah consider phlebas isn't his best culture book. I'd advise you to start with The State of the Art though, as the short stories are a nice introduction into the setting. if you didn't like it, you'll probably not like any of the other books and may as well not even start them.
>>
>>7677548
Don't read anything by "Famous Author AND Someone You've Never Heard Of." If it's not Niven and Pournelle or to a lesser extent Weis and Hickman do your research first. Card sold out a long time ago, he lets the other dude sell crap with his name on it. Read the first four and maaaaybe Ender's Shadow, and a lot of people aren't sold on Xenocide and Speaker for the Dead, but I liked them.
>>
File: 51BTP7T4KEL.jpg (57KB, 326x500px) Image search: [Google]
51BTP7T4KEL.jpg
57KB, 326x500px
Just finished this.

I don't know why I bothered finishing it as I wasn't really engaged with it. I just needed to get it off my list I guess. If nothing else, it's a lot better than some urban fantasies that have cropped up lately.
>>
>>7677452
What didn't you like about Revelation Space?
>>
>>7668172
Storm light is pretty OK, and only two of fourteen planned books are done so it's a good hopping on point. They're pretty lengthy reads though and IMO got slow in some parts
>>
>>7676872
The middle books are worse than the first and last three books. And I liked the first book the best.
I wish Cook would write a book about the Black Company that just dealt with random shenanigans and problems they encounter during their contracts.
>>
I read The Swarm, because it was posted in one of these threads.
It was over all enjoyable, but I really found it odd how many different flavors of scientist had "revenge for pollution" as their first, or one of their first, theories for why it was happening.
At just the whales even. My first thought was rabies, brain cancer, psychosis, toxic spores like with ants.
It seemed very odd, I don't know.

The tsunami scene was fantastic though.
Can't say I enjoyed the guy being completely autistic over being Inuit, either. I understand why, but just tell people you don't like talking about it instead of glaring at them like a moody five year old.
>>
I just finished the Lost Fleet and started reading Beyond the Frontier. I really like this series, It's very utilitarian, there's very little exposition, but it's fast paced enough that it doesn't matter. I also really like how it handled the Aliens. I can tell just by reading it that the author plays EVE Online though, it's got a lot in common with the EVE fluff (which is surprisingly good at times).
>>
File: so innocent and pure.png (12KB, 105x225px) Image search: [Google]
so innocent and pure.png
12KB, 105x225px
>>7677748
>SA
>fourteen books
>>
I bought Flowers for Algernon for a dollar, is it any good?
>>
>>7678416
I know it gets disregarded because it's commonly in school curriculums, but it's a great book.

Just don't expect scifi, it's more of a drama than anything.
>>
>>7677277
What is Wax's sister called? Is that part of a suit?
>>
>>7677564
>I heard the third book was rejected by the editor
That can happen?

I know for a fact that LK Hamilton (author of the Anita Blake books) was published without a proof reader, that's the only way to explain how shit kept repeating themselves.
>>
>>7677790
Raven was such a bad ass in the first book
>>
Another day, another agency rejection.

I need to find more agents that are interested in fantasy. Writersmarket.com says they have hundreds but they wanted me to sign up which is suspicious.
>>
>>7678813
Directly copied from reddit:
You don't need Writer's Market unless you just want to subscribe because you're a publishing nerd, IMO. Most of the things you need to find are on the Internet for free.
Is the piece in question a work of fiction? Or poetry? If fiction, you need to find an agent. The smartest place to start is to find books that are similar to yours--the ones that would sit next to it on the shelf--and look up who reps those authors. You can find out either via Google or sometimes by seeing who they thank in their acknowledgements.
Go-to (free) website for lit agents: Querytracker.net & AgentQuery. You can cross check agents on Preditors & Editors & also on the AbsoluteWrite forums. Query, rinse, repeat.
Poetry is a whole other ballgame. As far as I know there are no traditional markets, at least not in book publishing, for poetry... someone who is a poet would need to tell you about how that works.
>>
>>7678813
>Not starting your own publishing house with a old timey name and self-publishing that shit
>>
>>7678830

>AgentQuery

Useful, thanks.

>>7678835

Too shy.
>>
>>7678813
wish you best of luck. there must be someone interested in publishing you.
>>
I want to get my teenage sister into actual literature, figure some decent YA fiction (an oxymoron, I know) would be a good segway to get her to read something with substance. Any recomendations?
>>
>>7678893
>a good segway
>>
>>7678893
Looks like The Name of the Wind might be a good choice for her.
>>
>>7678893
>decent YA fiction
That's more than an oxymoron

>good segway
>YA fiction with substance

Just give her the Picture of Dorian Gray and tell her it's homo fiction.
>>
>>7678911
I'll try that actually, hopefully it works.
>>
>>7678911
>the Picture of Dorian Gray
grand suggestion
>>
File: endersgameposter.jpg (455KB, 1061x1500px) Image search: [Google]
endersgameposter.jpg
455KB, 1061x1500px
>>7677681
thanks m8.
>Card sold out
I assumed this when they made the movie. Has anyone seen it btw? Any good?
>>
>>7678904
He said good you fucking retard.
>>7678893
Vonnegut, Orwell, Huxley, Zelanzy (Amber, his other stuff is above hs level imo). Probably some chick lit like Austen since girls usually like her and men dislike her.
>>
>>7678809
Bit of a cunt as well. And he dies like a bitch in the Silver Spike.
>>
Are any of the old Star Wars EU novels worth reading? I'm in the mood for something pulpy.
>>
>>7679515
Do you like Star Wars good enough that you aren't bothered enormous flaws?
If you have a scale of readable-unreadable with Star Wars EU novels being the most unreadable at 100.
Gardens of the Moon would score a 7.

It's basically trash worse than trash and basically an insult to trash
>>
>>7677748
14 books? The plan is, and has always been, for 10.
>>
>>7677790
This reminds me of how much I adored the return of Croaker as analyst since it brought back the idea of the different perspectives being stories conveyed through the analyst from other protagonists rather than Murgen just ghosting everywhere. Mogaba's journal was one of the best parts of Soldiers Live imo.
>>
What's the consensus on uhh... It's a fantasy series. Protagonist begins as a poor child in a steet gang and is taught to become the greatest theif in the city. Listened to it a while back and thought it was decent. Don't think I've seen it mentioned here.
>>
>>7679033
It's pretty mediocre, but if you like the books it might be worth it.
>>
File: fatdog.jpg (290KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
fatdog.jpg
290KB, 1200x900px
This is for scientific reasons.

http://strawpoll.me/6773877
>>
>>7679674
Lies of Locke Lamora?
>>
>>7678837
I c-could publish it for you anon-kun.
>>
Anyone ever read any Greg Egan?
>>
>>7678911
>That's more than an oxymoron
If you're talking snotty lit-professor tier lit, yeah. Patricia C. Wrede and Diana Wynne Jones are top-class if you're talking fun to read and messes with more ideas than a normal high school conversation.
>>
>>7679033
>Has anyone seen it btw? Any good?
Absolutely terribly stupendously not.
The twist in the book depends on the speed of light being an insurmountable barrier, Ender actually commanding fleets being totally impossible. In the movie they load him onto a ship and just warp to another star system. I'm still mad.
>>
File: uugh.png (417KB, 500x700px) Image search: [Google]
uugh.png
417KB, 500x700px
>>7679781
>people picking the last two
this is what i get for including meme options
>>
>>7679656
Mistborn was planned for nine but is now on course for thirteen, and that's if he doesn't do a cyberpunk Mistborn 2.5. The main narrative and all the problems in it will be solved in ten, and those ten, that's for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if he wrote a few Stormlight side projects.
>>
>>7679877
Only Greg I know is Bear, sorry. Nothing of Egan's or Benford's ever pulled me in.
>>
>>7679815
That's the one.
>>
Malazan anime adaption confirmed
>>
>>7680071
Really? Link? I'd love it. It's an awful novel, but a fantastic anime.
>>
>>7680083
Gardens of the Moon is awful.
The rest is good for what it is.
>>
Currently listening to Rob Inglis' reading of lotr.

Good shit. I did start Eddings' The Elder Gods but couldn't finish it at that time so I'm gonna pick that back up whenever I find a copy.
>>
>>7679873

Hey, don't get my hopes up.
>>
>>7672402
Read 'em.

I have not enjoyed a Napoleonic era series this much since Horatio Hornblower. Plus Temeraire's huffiness is hilarious.
>>
>>7670643
Song of the Lioness or the Blue Sword duology
>>
>>7675334
I read her Cart and Cwidder series. I really do like her stuff. Very similar to Brian Jacques in prose.
>>
>>7678911
>decent YA fiction
Lloyd Alexander, full stop.

The Prydain Chronicles or the Iron Ring
>>
>>7679541
Hey, now, don't be lumping Tim Zahn in with that hack Traviss.
>>
>>7667526
Is there a way to see the fantasy rec list without it being tiny?
>>
>>7680260
You click on it to zoom in.
Or you press ctrl and tab on + (or scroll upwards while pressing ctrl)
>>
This Honor Harrington series seems to be getting worse with each book. I'm about to go into Book 4: Field of Dishonor, should I just drop this series and move on or does it get better again?
>>
>>7680262
I tried that before, but increasing the size made it illegible.
>>
>>7680176
>Blue Sword duology
You are an absolute gent. Those books are awesome.
>British India-themed sword and sorcery
>Victorian girl does the Lawrence of Arabia thing
Most of what I remember. But I did enjoy them immensely at the time. The time was 2002.
>>
>>7680278
Have the weeaboo people shown up yet? They're what most people I've talked to like most about it. If they have and you still don't like it, just read the Lost Fleet series.
>>
>>7680278
drop it, only heard bad things about. I mean come on, space cats...
>>
What do you guys like to see in original races and what don't you like to see in them?

Personally, I like it when authors go all out in creativity if they decide to go for original races and don't just do "Elves but smarter and animal ears" or "Dwarves but slightly taller and good with magic". Even if it's something totally out there in a Fantasy novel that would look more at home in a Sci-fi novel, it's still better than the previous examples.
>>
File: ayylmao.png (106KB, 922x882px) Image search: [Google]
ayylmao.png
106KB, 922x882px
>>7679781
>/lit/ prefers John Carter over Tarzan
shit tastes, family
>>
>>7680386
Elves but not being raped all the time.
>>
>>7680386

I think stuff like how the look and so forth isn't as important as how they interact with the story.

You could just make them humans but purple but it'd be fine as long as you make their role in society interesting and well-thought out.
>>
File: 2.jpg (168KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
168KB, 600x800px
>>7680423
but that's all they're good for
what's the point
>>
>>7680376
>space cats
Yes?
>>
>>7680436
When I say "Elves, but..." and "Dwarves, but..." I mean that on top of looking like Elves and Dwarves, they also play similar roles as well.
>>
>>7680436
Whether or not they're human doesn't matter, yes. I love strange new human ethnicities like in Stormlight Archive. Pink slime authors put in elves and dwarves because D&D does, not understanding the linguistic and cultural background they had in Tolkien.
>>
>>7680458
Having a nature-loving grace race and a proud weapon-loving warrior race? Oh and they are at each others' throats, how cute. That and an astronaut that hates exploring made me drop Farscape in one episode.
>>
>>7680458

Oh well in that case I'm not really sure why you wouldn't just call them Elves and Dwarves then. That book series about Dwarves by that foreign guy was literally called Dwarves and full of Dwarves doing Dwarf things but it was still interesting enough.
>>
File: puella_magi_madoka_magica.jpg (176KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
puella_magi_madoka_magica.jpg
176KB, 1024x768px
>>7680465
C'mon, farscape was alright. Though, I'll admit it was a little low-budget, and Crichton's actor was mediocre, but he was mediocre in such a way that he seemed like a real person.
>>
>>7674751
I'd suggest Karl Edward Wagner's Kane books. Like a mix of Howard's Conan and some weird fantasy/horror
>>
why do people fawn over sanderson so much? his work is pure escapism, which isn't so bad in itself but with sanderson you're tipped headfirst into a world of wooden characters, arbitrary worldbuilding and magic that tries to be different but ends up dumb.

or maybe I'm just salty because I picked up mistborn a while back, didn't like it but felt compelled to read the rest of the series because I can't leave a story unfinished.
>>
>>7680398
Is that a gerbil or hamster???
>>
>>7680504
Maybe the characters don't feel wooden, the worldbuilding doesn't seem arbitrary, and the magic doesn't feel dumb to them.

>>7680481
He seemed like a normal person, not an astronaut.
>>
>>7680260
Get a better browser.
Fucking mac/iphone fags.
>>
>>7680523
firefox doing it aswell
>>
I have no reference point since I have literally only read tolkien as a teenager but eye of the world isn't that bad so far, IMO.
>>
File: 00007.jpg (106KB, 1190x863px) Image search: [Google]
00007.jpg
106KB, 1190x863px
>>7670817
The future... is now.
>>
File: guinea-pig-environment.jpg (40KB, 650x369px) Image search: [Google]
guinea-pig-environment.jpg
40KB, 650x369px
>>7680516
it's a guinea pig, amigo
south americans like to eat 'em
>>
For this book I've been writing, I ended up creating human subspecies that are divided mostly by lifespan. There's four of them and "regular" humans (not actually called that in the story itself) are the second-shortest-lived.

I thought it'd be interesting in terms of interaction because it's not really something you can surmount with time, you'll always have differences in perception of events and deaths will be spread far apart.
>>
>>7680590
How has the long lived ones not yet obliterated the short lived ones?
>>
>>7680621

They mostly killed each other a long time ago. There's only a handful left. They're able to interbreed with other subspecies but the genetics for long life are recessive, so their kids die long before they do.
>>
>>7680634
So they're elves?
>>
>>7680579
I'm from Guyana, and that is an outright lie.
>>
>>7680684

Not really, they don't live in forests or use bows or care about nature or dislike humans or anything like that. The ones in the story are quite lonely and want to fit in with society but it doesn't work out for them.
>>
>>7680634
You wouldn't have kids if you knew they'd die before you.
>>
>>7680590
Sounds interesting, I'd read that.
>>
>>7676072
Black company
>>
>>7680518
>He seemed like a normal person, not an astronaut.
There's not a huge TV market for David Bowman.
>>
Wheel of Time - Fantastic, until I hit book 6. I cant finish it :(. Such a great start too.
Storm Light - Great replacement for WoT, 2 books, and had some great "OH SHIT WHAT!" moments
Powder Mage Trilogy - Finishing the last book, it pulled me in. Its not the best, but its such a cool/interesting time period to do it. Tamas FTW!
>>
File: 1453692125322.jpg (42KB, 800x587px) Image search: [Google]
1453692125322.jpg
42KB, 800x587px
>>7680852
>>
>>7680504
>wooden characters
Those are buzzwords around here. Explain.

You probably liked Dune too, didn't you? Talk about, "Wooden Characters."
>>
File: ;_;.gif (3MB, 740x416px) Image search: [Google]
;_;.gif
3MB, 740x416px
>>7667526
How the fuck am I supposed to read these fucking tiny as recommendation pictures?
>>
>>7680386
Anything original is fine. It doesn't have to be inventive; it just has to be something that wasn't in LotR or D&D.
>>
>>7680852
Where did all the plebs come from?
>>
>>7680704
Maybe YOU wouldn't but the fictional race that anon created would.
>>
File: 5 Star bait.jpg (230KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
5 Star bait.jpg
230KB, 1920x1080px
>>7680884
>if I post this question every thread no one will notice
>>
>>7681093
New Thread
>>
>>7680852
It's not what you say, it's how you say it. Lurk until you can convince us you're not new.
>>
>>7680590
Malazan books and the author Michael J Sullivan. Check them out.
>>
>>7679992
First book is quite well liked here.

Opinion on the second is split.

Everybody hates the third because it's an irredeemable shit.
>>
>>7680902
All over the place. Other boards don't have their shit fantasy generals so they metastasized here.
And these threads used to be so good.
>>
>>7680398
>the science-fiction/fantasy general thread prefers a science-fiction adventure over a jungle adventure

gee...
>>
File: 1455063886308.jpg (237KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1455063886308.jpg
237KB, 1024x768px
>>7680481
Thread posts: 319
Thread images: 39

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.