[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 308
Thread images: 50

File: 1483805671707.gif (91KB, 711x317px) Image search: [Google]
1483805671707.gif
91KB, 711x317px
Previous thread: >>59657979

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (try to use a search engine that respects your privacy such as searx, ixquick or startpage).

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
https://wiki.archlinux.org
https://wiki.gentoo.org

/g/'s Wiki on GNU/Linux:
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
http://www.commandlinefu.com/
http://bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
http://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
http://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
http://www.grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: >>>/t/749768
/t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos: >>>/t/713097

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
http://fglt.nl && https://p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy
>>
File: 1475939316252.png (70KB, 312x402px) Image search: [Google]
1475939316252.png
70KB, 312x402px
first for Source Mage GNU/Linux
>>
Display managers won't start X (they kinda lock and then reload after a few seconds). startx works even unprivileged. Had no problem until I updated the kernel. Launching CDM first then my DM works fine. Nothing appears in any logs, strace is useless. What do? Please respond edition.
>>
File: Screenshot_96.png (2KB, 161x42px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_96.png
2KB, 161x42px
I'm a long time MacOS user.
what is the best distro to switch too,
aesthetics are good
(i need to develop shit)
>>
where do you guys usually put your self-compiled programs?

i tend to put them in their own directory under /usr so i can remove them easily afterwards
>>
>>59664694
Small things next to shell scripts in ~/bin.
Larger things are packaged and installed.
>>
>>59664684
i didn't have good experiences with elementary os
>>
>>59664651
>using """display managers"""

>What do?
continue using startx
you can put it in your ~/.profile (or ~/.bash_profile) to start automatically when you log in from tty1
[ $(tty) == '/dev/tty1' ] && startx
>>
>>59664745
= was correct anon
== is a bashism
>>
>>59664716
But I don't want to have to type my username all the time when it could come already typed-in. I also don't want to have to edit files just to switch to another WM config, or DE, when I could click a button for that. Plus it all worked just fine until a few hours ago.
>>
I have a Manjaro USB I'm trying to get to boot on my custom desktop (Intel UEFI mobo, Nvidia GPU), but for whatever reason, whenever I select it to load with either free or non-free drivers, it goes to the boot sequence with no video output and just stops (light on the USB drive goes quiet after only a couple of seconds).

I imagine it's some issue with X not being able to output to the display? What's happening?
>>
You might need to boot from usb to fix the problem. I remember having this problem with my Arch install when I installed drivers for my rx480 (non-free). It turned out the drivers were causing issues with my hardware and installing the opensource drivers solved the issue.
>>
>>59664953
I'm...trying to boot from USB...it's a Manjaro boot disk.
>>
lshw -c video
*-display
description: VGA compatible controller
product: Cayman PRO [Radeon HD 6950]
vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:02:00.0
version: 00
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm pciexpress msi vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
configuration: driver=radeon latency=0
resources: irq:38 memory:e0000000-efffffff memory:fbec0000-fbedffff ioport:de00(size=256) memory:c0000-dffff

Clock being at 33MHz concerns me. Searching has left me fruitless, and I do not have much experience with drivers. Is that a normal amount? Its page on AMD says the engine clock is 800MHz and Memory clock is 1250MHz
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-03-31_12-57-36.png (55KB, 396x453px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-03-31_12-57-36.png
55KB, 396x453px
I have XFCE on Mint. For some reason the description for Catfish in the menu is in a weird alien language, is there a way to fix this?
>>
guys how do i change opening locations of applications in ubuntu, like everytime i open an application it snaps to top left or bottom left corners i wanna have it open somewhere in the middle, how to do?
>>
>>59664972
oh mb sorry :(
>>
>>59665045
You know j4-dmenu-desktop exists right?
>>
>>59665112
Start using OpenBox, and customize
~/.config/openbox/rc.xml
>>
>>59664684
comp specs?

if you dont want to do much tweaking go ubuntu, maybe some redhat, im unfamiliar with them

low specs go LXLE or Lubuntu, or really low specs go puppy

if you want to play around more, go Arch or Gentoo or barebones Debian and put something like i3wm(current fad gui, only tiling one ive tried yet, its nice)

or you could try darwin, not Linux though
>>
>>59665173
6700k +1070 (hackintoshing)(gpu is unusable )
>>
I was looking to get into Linux, well I installed ubuntu however I didn't really like it, and I was looking into Mint, however there are 4 versions of the desktop. Cinnamon Desktop, MATE desktop, Xfce desktop, and KDE. Are these merely aesthetic? I thought the KDE looked the best however Mint's website recommends Cinnamon as it is the most popular.
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-03-30_21-49-56.png (30KB, 352x428px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-03-30_21-49-56.png
30KB, 352x428px
>>59665045
>Right click
>Edit application
How is this not the first thing you tried?
>>
>>59665274
Since you can freely change between desktops it doesn't matter which one you get.
>>
>>59665304
not autists enough, is there a way I could ssh into my system from my laptop and change it from the tty?
>>
>>59665274
What did you not like about Ubuntu? unity? id suggest against Mint, but its what I started out with so like hypocrisy and stuff
>>
File: p.png (464KB, 3999x3801px) Image search: [Google]
p.png
464KB, 3999x3801px
>>59665332
Why bother changing it if you aren't even looking at it? Wtf?
>>
>>59665349
Honestly, it was unity, also I would like super+t to open terminal not the trash, however you can't rebind that in a simple way. I'm sure there is an application or perhaps some terminal fuckery you can do, however switching operating systems will work just fine too.
>>
File: 65220874.png (266KB, 665x574px) Image search: [Google]
65220874.png
266KB, 665x574px
>>59665332
>not autists enough,
Translation: I'm stupid

The concept of right clicking something to access options exists EVERYWHERE in modern GUIs
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-03-30_22-03-23.png (62KB, 791x604px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-03-30_22-03-23.png
62KB, 791x604px
>>59665401
>Honestly, it was unity, also I would like super+t to open terminal not the trash, however you can't rebind that in a simple way
*All DEs come with a gui to edit application shortcuts afaik. As well as another gui for window manager shortcuts.
>>
>>59665274
It's mostly aesthetic -- anything truly important is consistent between DEs (for example, your package manager), and any major differences can be added by the user afterwards.

But honestly, I just found most DEs to be clunky and trash, even if (at the time as I was using Ubuntu/Mint/etc.) I didn't know "why" I wasn't enjoying myself. Switching to pure WMs (and then to tiling WMs) made me really think about what I wanted in my desktop experience, and then I added additional programs and keyboard shortcuts to accommodate those desires.
>>
>>59665401
lmao
>search for terminal
>wild rubbish bin appears
>[fight]
>[run away]
>>
>>59665426

/fglt/
>>
Anyone know about fixing problems with the iwlwifi driver? My Thinkpad x230 has an Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2200 and I can't get more than 24Mb/s no matter what I do. I've googled for hours and tried using G instead of N. It only slowed it down even more. I tried turning off bluetooth and enabling antenna aggregation. Nothing works. I have an 85Mb/s pipe and not even getting half that speed no matter what I do. My Windows partition is getting the maximum bandwidth so it's not the hardware. Not sure where to go from here.
>>
>>59665598
Try changing the 11n_disable flag.
>>
Trying to install arch on virtualbox. I've done this a few times before, never had any issues.

This time after install I reboot and I get this message dozens of times when I boot from hdd

"isolinux: Found something"

What the fuck
>>
>>59665623
tried
11n_disable=1
already
didn't help
>>
>>59665636
>virtualbox
Pussy. Wipe Windows and go balls deep like a real man.
>>
File: stallman body pillow.jpg (23KB, 500x315px) Image search: [Google]
stallman body pillow.jpg
23KB, 500x315px
>>59665542
>>59665274
Is anyone really married to one DE? It seems like most people switch it up a little bit. I mean switching DEs is a feature built into display managers and the system as a whole. Every time I do a fresh install I wind up getting bored with the DE I chose and wind up installing something else. Not to knock any of them it just gets old using/seeing the same environment every day. I have Xfce, GNOME, i3, and KDE on this system. Thinking about purging KDE but I'm happy with everything else living together on my system. Even considering installing MATE to freshen it up some more. Honestly if you're sticking to GTK DEs and doing minimal installs it's very few packages to get a whole new DE going.
>>
>>59665638
tried 8?
>>
>>59665636
>"isolinux: Found something"
Have you tried removing the iso from the vm?
>>
>>59665642
already ran arch as the only thing on my older laptop till it died
>>
>>59665654
yeah, tried that too, even tried disabling all power saving with no success
>>
>>59665680
No idea then, but post when you find a solution.
>>
>>59665642
>doesnt even work on ideal environment (vbox)
>want him to install on real hw
lol
linux is shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit
>>
Why does this command:

opusenc myalbum.wav myalbum.opus

result in a file several KB larger than this one:

ffmpeg -i myalbum.wav myalbum.opus

I ran ffprobe on both output files, and it appears that the first shows encoder: "opusenc from opus-tools 0.1.9" while the latter shows "Lavc57.64.101 libopus". Does this mean libopus is more up-to-date/efficient than opusenc? Why else does it give me smaller files at the same bitrate?
>>
>>59665700
by the way, I'm using Arch, and according to the packages, the opus (libopus) was just updated this year while opus-tools (opusenc) hasn't been since 2014
>>
>>59665656
im booting from the hard drive, iso is on the cd rom drive
>>
>>59665644
>Is anyone really married to one DE?

I've been with Cinnamon pretty much since the beginning. Tried other DEs and I just always keep coming back. Dunno what it is, everything just werx the way I like (aside from the constant memory leaks).
>>
>>59664602
Why isn't there a unified repo project for Linux distributions?
>>
File: stallman activated.jpg (33KB, 630x452px) Image search: [Google]
stallman activated.jpg
33KB, 630x452px
>>59665737
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
>>59665045
Try changing system font
>>
>>59665733
please post "just werx" never again
don't do it, please
>>
>>59665700
>>59665715
I feel like you answered your own question...

Arch isn't the bad guy, btw. As you can see here
http://opus-codec.org/downloads/ and
http://opus-codec.org/news/
0.1.9 really is the latest version of opus-tools.

Nonetheless, libopus was being updated in the meantime, and ffmpeg took advantage of that.
>>
>>59665688
thanks anyway, but i'm not hopeful
maybe i can just get a wireless usb dongle with better driver support
>>
>>59665733
>(aside from the constant memory leaks)
I remember GNOME being that way for a long time. It's fixed now but it blew my mind.
>>
>>59665644
I just use openbox with tint2 as a taskbar all the time.
I used to have multiple DEs installed but wound up just keeping one to log into for those rare times when I try to do something and realize I don't have it setup already with openbox and I don't do it enough to bother.
The whole "oh there's a menu here and a tree menu over there" just annoys me when I can just have the stuff I use all the time open right there with a right click of the mouse.
Anytime I use any of the DEs now I wind up right clicking expecting what I need to pop up.
>>
>>59665737
Different distributions use different standards for placing things in their repositories.
Arch places very current packages on AUR
Ubuntu/apt repositories will typically be behind, it allows them to be reasonably sure your system will not explode.

The closest you are going to get is setting up your distribution to take from different repositories, like Arch can do with Pacman, Emerge, apt, Yum, etc.
>>59665793
>Foot as icon
I'm too autistic to accept this.
>>
>>59664602

Hey /g/uys I'm learning about controlling processes
and an example I'm given is this(with output):

# nice +5 updatedb &

[1] 31154
nice: +5: No such file or directory
[1]+ Exit 127 nice +5 updatedb

when I run it in a virtual terminal or over ssh I get this:

# nice +5 updatedb &

[1] 31477
# nice: +5: No such file or directory

_ <- (blinking cursor no command prompt)

It's just used to demonstrate how to add nice values when starting
a process but I'm interested as to why it's not working as in my book.
It exits every time so I can't see if the nice worked as intended. Is it
perhaps the shell interpreted the argument to nice incorrectly?

From my understanding an exit 127 means that a command is not in
the path or that there is some typo but I checked and it's definitely in
my $PATH and the command line is straight from the book. Is the
book wrong and updatedb can't be run in the background?

An explanation would be much appreciated thanks!
>>
>Gentoo fag got ransomwared
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1060828.html
Oh boy
>>
>>59665823
sudo nice -n 10 updatedb
>>
>>59665823
afaik nice needs -n to define the niceness
>>
>>59665790
So the opus devs just stopped maintaining opus-tools or something? And I should only really be using libopus at this point?
>>
>>59665812
>setting up your distribution to take from different repositories

Yeah that's where you're living on a prayer though and had better be prepared to fix things.
People seem to especially break Debian all the time just trying to use some packages from unstable with their stable install and this and that from testing.
>>
File: 1371763740266.png (399KB, 655x574px) Image search: [Google]
1371763740266.png
399KB, 655x574px
>>59665829
>running firefox as root
>running firefox as root with flash enabled
>>
>>59665838
>>59665851
nigga sheit

I guess I'll have to message the author about his typo thanks guys, I feel ashamed though I should've just went to the fucking man page.
>>
>>59665867
Oh I don't recommend setting up different repositories like that at all, just saying it can be done.
I guess someone could make a repo of appimages to run on any system without the need for any of the other managers, but then you have the competing standards dilemma.
>>
>>59665866
>So the opus devs just stopped maintaining opus-tools or something?

I mean, I guess so? I'm assuming they'll update opus-tools at some point but haven't felt the need.

>And I should only really be using libopus at this point?

If you don't specifically need opus-tools/opusenc, I don't see why not.
>>
so I heard the mp3 patent will die this year, does this mean that mp3 will be free? will distros like fedora ship it?
>>
Richard Stallman is coming to speak at my university on April 11th (Michigan State University), but I have an exam the next day... should I sacrifice some study time to see the man? I'm not sure if I actually grasp his importance to the world of computer science. I know /g/ has his face in the sticky ...
>>
>>59665974
Fedora has been shipping codecs the moment they leave patent for years now
>>
>>59665928
I see. Well, I'm not sure if I need opusenc, but I was using it because I couldn't get libopus to work with shnsplit. I use a command similar to this:

shnsplit -f myalbum.cue -o "cust ext=opus opusenc" myalbum.tta

to split a .tta album into individual .opus files for each track. That "opusenc" parameter specifies the encoder, since shnsplit/shntool doesn't natively recognize opus yet I guess. But if I replace "opusenc" with "libopus" or "opus", I get an undescriptive error.

Any idea how I could get shnsplit to use the libopus encoder? Otherwise I'm gonna need some stupid workaround like decompressing all the .tta's to .wav's first, which would be annoying
>>
>>59666002
Do it faggot.
>>
>>59665974
mp3 sucks anyway. Why would you need to use it when one of opus, vorbis, or AAC has been better for years now?
>>
>>59666020
maybe because every little shit player mostly supports it
>>
>>59666045
cycle of hell, normies don't drop shit and better things have a hard time to catch on

reminder that even fucking rar is still a thing
>>
>>59666045
Mostly true of vorbis and especially AAC as well. We can all thank Applel for that
>>
>>59665829
>firefox as root
whoops
>>
>>59666061
Reminds me of
>people cry GNU/Linux has not games
>people stick to Windows
>developers write games for what's popular
>people cry GNU/Linux has not games

or

>why are there no free drivers
>nevermind, I'll use the nonfree ones
>manufractors see no reason to open source
>why are there no free drivers

Holy hell, how to stop this
>>
>>59666061
Yea, at this point there's no reason to compress in anything but .7z or .txz, and maybe .tgz. Especially not closed-source shit like rar
>>
can I get a list of packages and the order they were installed in from arch linux
>>
>>59666006
Ah. That's out of my wheelbarrow, I guess.

Since it's lossless, maybe splitting them to flac and then using ffmpeg to get them to opus via libopus will work?
>>
What are the recommended ffmpeg settings to convert to flac? pls no bully
>>
File: CtyURozXYAQ4IAv.jpg (101KB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
CtyURozXYAQ4IAv.jpg
101KB, 1200x675px
Anyone wanna help me install Debian on a powermac g4?

Downloaded the powerpc iso, installed it and everything, it's already on the computer and I can boot into a terminal, but as soon as I try to start X or any DE it just goes to a black screen

For the record, this thing has a nvidia card. I have the nouveau drivers installed...
>>
Does anyone ITT use GNU stow and can give me a retard friendly tl;dr how to use it to manage my dotfiles?
>>
>>59666199
Yea, that's actually what I was going to try. Only problem is, this is over a terabyte of .tta's I'm dealing with (touhou lossless music collection), so splitting them to flac basically doubles the disk space used, unless I delete the .tta's as I go. But that precludes seeding the torrent, obviously. Well, fuck. Time to buy a bigger external hard drive I guess.
>>
what's a good tiling wm/workflow for small resolutions? been trying out i3 but it feels a bit claustrophobic with more than 2 windows
>>
>>59666211
The defaults are probably fine. It's not like any of it is going to affect the quality.
ffmpeg -i input.wav output.flac

Although if you don't have a lossless source, don't bother.
>>
how do i enable webm thumbnails in file picker?
>>
>>59666165
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman/Tips_and_tricks#By_date
The wiki is your friend
>>
>>59666286
upvoted, also interested here
>>
What does "as root" mean?
>>
>>59666298
Put sudo before the command and enter your password. Or use su and enter the root password.
>>
>>59666278
The trick is to use small fonts. Try small bitmap fonts like lemon, cure, or tewi. Rice your browser, remove all the shit you don't need like buttons, bookmark bar, etc. Hope it help.s
>>
>>59666289
The wiki used to be great but its been edited down to remove tons of information by asshole autists that hate utility and they are slowly turning the wiki from a great resource into a collection of man pages

They scrapped the Beginner's Guide and the new Install Guide is complete trash
>>
>>59666298
Run the command as the root user, i.e. the "admin" of the computer.
>>
>>59666298
You must morph into a tree.
>>
>>59666324
Meh, the only thing of note I noticed recently was the removal of several outdated info and major cleanups. I couldn't care less if the newbie guide was removed, it just went from all relevant info in 1 page to several pages.
>>
>>59666281
one setting you might want to mess with is the compression level. by default it's 5, but can go up to 12. It'll take longer (more than a linear increase in time as you approach 12, I believe), but if you want the absolute smallest filesize that's the way to go. so

ffmpeg -i input.wav -compression_level 5 output.flac
ffmpeg -i input.tta -compression_level 12 output.flac
etc.
>>
>>59666362
Thanks
>>
Anyone tried runit on Gentoo? Is it officially supported?
>>
File: 1460118314136.jpg (123KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1460118314136.jpg
123KB, 800x600px
What are some cool terminal commands?
>>
>>59666401
ctrl-r lets you reverse search for past commands
>>
>>59666401
:(){ :|: & };:
>>
>>59666324
I was literally installing Arch for the first time the day the fucking beginners guide got removed. Laptop battery died so when I next turned it on Firefox had to reload all my tabs. Lo and behold, the archwiki tab I had before now kept redirecting me to some much more esoteric installation guide. That shit fucked with my head for like an hour till I checked the subreddit and saw the news
>>
>>59666401
Here is a cool command that plays the mario theme song in your terminal.
$(echo "ZWNobyBEb24ndCBydW4gY29tbWFuZHMgd2l0aG91dCBrbm93aW5nIHdoYXQgdGhleSBkbwo=" | base64 -d)
>>
>>59666422
>/fglt/
>>
>>59666401
>>59666451
After you run that, make sure to try this one:

sudo rm -rfv --no-preserve-root / | lolcat

You'll get such pretty terminal output, you wouldn't even believe it
>>
File: 1462646947812.jpg (49KB, 500x667px) Image search: [Google]
1462646947812.jpg
49KB, 500x667px
>>59666401
printf 'main(t){for(;++t>>16<3;)putchar(t*!!(t>>9&7|!(-t>>12&7))*(96+"#d|dOE3#dOE3dOE3"[t>>13&15])>>5);}' | gcc -x c - && ./a.out | aplay
>>
>>59666401
sudo apt-get install cowsay && cowsay moo
here you go :3
>>
>>59666570
>>59665426
>>59665398
>>59665696
>>
I am trying to get the google enterprise thing running that was just recently open sourced. I am using arch and the compiler isn't liking my version of libpng.

Has anyone gone through the install yet? I am wondering if I should just throw up a new virtual machine with ubuntu or something instead of screwing heavily with my main. Trying to estimate how much fuckery I will need to get it running on an unsupport distro.
>>
>>59665274
I've been using Linux for a few years now, and I'm still switching DEs, exploring which ones I like or have a taste for at the moment. It really depends.

If you want visual fidelity, go GNOME and KDE. GNOME is simpler, with a more unified design language between applications and some of the most beautiful theming potential around. KDE less so, but it's very similar to Windows, and many of the applications have that busy, classic Windows look (though the interfaces can get way too busy at times). The settings manager in KDE fucking blows, though. It's got an option for everything, but the names are awful so it's a nightmare to navigate.

As I understand it, MATE these days is basically just GNOME styled like old GNOME or like Windows (so it can act as a KDE substitute). Cinnamon I've used less, but seems like a jankier MATE/KDE alternative in the be-like-Windows department.

If you want simplicity and ridiculous customizability, XFCE is the way to go. It Just Werks straight out of the box and has fewer problems than those complicated, high-fidelity DEs, and digging through the settings, you can pretty much revamp XFCE to look as good, if not possibly better than them. I've seen everything from retro OS8 or Windows 95 recreations all the way up to GNOME and macOS replication. It's very flexible, and has some compatibility with themes made for other DEs.
>>
I just installed mint, booted it up and then realized I have no idea how to use linux, what do.
>>
Nautilus refuses to actually open media files from my Windows desktop, though it sees them fine as long as they're shared. I'd like to be able to play videos and write files to it, and it doesn't appear to be Windows security or firewall issues. Is there a better way to go about this?
>>
>>59666867
1. lurk moar
2. sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade
3. do something idk
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-03-31_00-17-18.png (129KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-03-31_00-17-18.png
129KB, 1366x768px
Anyone know how to disable this animation when switching desktops in GNOME? All of the info I can find about it is outdated. I'm on 3.22.3. Animations are disabled from gnome-tweak-tool but this persists. Is it considered an animation?
>>
File: img_5332.jpg (633KB, 2272x1704px) Image search: [Google]
img_5332.jpg
633KB, 2272x1704px
>>59666849
>>59665274

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
>>59666867
go to nyaa.se
download some anime
watch said anime in mpv
>>
>>59666867
for starters:
- learn how the filesystem is organized (no C: drive type shit)
- learn the command line/terminal basics
- some other third thing
>>
>>59666908
stop using gnome, you filth
>>
>>59666867
sudo apt-get install gentoo
>>
>>59666934
and proceed to notice it does not/cannot look as good as Windows' MPC-HC with madVR and lav filters n shit
>>
>>59666967
I already used mpv on windows since mpc is fugly
>>
>>59666967
nice one, wincunt
>>
Hey guys, about 50+% done writing a basic bspwm installation and setup guide. Should I go into detail and write out all the commands to install or should I just link to existing guides? I'm going to provide my sxhkdrc, bspwmrc, and polybar config as they are not changed much and will work on any new install.
>>
>>59667002
>Should I go into detail and write out all the commands to install
don't go into that much detail
>>
>>59667013
Alright, I'm not sure how much direction people really need.
>>
>>59666906
>sudo apt upgrade
>looks like it's just installing random shit I'll never use
anon what the fuck is going on here
>>
>>59667059
I think you can leave things like `apt install bspwm` out
>>
>>59667093
You can't apt install bspwm tho, you compile from source. I do link to guides that give you the commands, but I'm not sure if I should just add those commands in the guide itself so people can only use the guide and not be looking at multiple resources.
>>
>>59667162
do it. those links might eventually go down, making your guide that much more annoying to use. take it from someone who has browsed many guides just like that over the years. you might think you're gonna stay on top and always maintain it/keep it up to date, but eventually you'll stop caring, and future anons will look at the outdated advice/links and despair
>>
>>59667162
well okay then, if it's not too much trouble, do it
>>
Okay guys, here's what I wrote up quickly, what would you as a new user to bspwm want to make the processof switching easier? Do you like the approach of working towards a goal image and then tinkering with the config to fit it to your preferences?
https://github.com/Pineabble/easyrice/wiki/bspwm
>>
File: 1468528853620.png (4MB, 2560x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1468528853620.png
4MB, 2560x1080px
how can a default wallpaper be so comfy?

also, who here also uses xfce? it's not just for low-end pc's. ive been trying other DE's for years but I always come back.

it manages to be full-featured and very light at the same time. the interface is really sane compared to de's like kde, unity, gnome...

wanna hear thoughts.
>>
What Linux distro do the pros use?
>>
>>59667269
Long-time xubuntu user here -- been running it as the sole os on my laptop for the past five years or so. Feels like home, and this is where I'll stay from here on out I think. Can't imagine using anything else at this point.

My only real complaint is the instability of Thunar -- crashing on rename has been a problem for a long time.
>>
>>59667434
gentoo
>>
>>59667220
it's alright for a start, I think
>Do you like the approach of working towards a goal image and then tinkering with the config to fit it to your preferences?
I guess
I gotta sleep, I can't think anymore
>>
File: mainwin.png (155KB, 833x629px) Image search: [Google]
mainwin.png
155KB, 833x629px
Poedit 2 is out.

>he doesn't contribute to translations for free software
>>
>>59667457
That bug has been fixed upstream.
>>
I'm sick of thunar. Ranger look nice, but it seems complicated. Could someone please give me a quick rundown of basic key bindings in ranger?
>>
>>59667162

>You can't apt install bspwm tho

http://packages.ubuntu.com/yakkety/bspwm
https://packages.debian.org/stretch/bspwm
>>
>>59666286

ffmpeg thumbnailer
>>
>>59666278

Why do you think a different window manager would help? Why do you think your window manager would influence the content of the windows in any way?

>>59666323

Yes, just make everything impossible to read and spend time tweaking the looks of literally every website and every program.
>>
>>59666006

>Otherwise I'm gonna need some stupid workaround like decompressing all the .tta's to .wav's first, which would be annoying
Pretty sure that's how it works in the first place. You won't lose anything, after all, it's a script and your interaction is minimal.
>>
>>59667269
I want to get back to GNU/Linux, not sure if I should choose KDE or XFCE, both look very cool and customizable. I already used KDE in the past but not XFCE.
>>
>>59667848
do it. way better than kde
>>
Is antivirus software really necessary for gnu/linux? The recent gentoo exploit has me concerned.

please advise
>>
>>59667848

Wew, what better way to fix your dilemma than asking and getting completely subjective opinions, instead of installing both and seeing which YOU like more.
Wew lad.
>>
>>59667864
Don't run shady binaries
>>
>>59667864

Not if you trust your distribution maintainers. If you don't trust them, even such software won't help, so it's a moot point.
>>
What 2017 laptop is /fglt/ approved? It looks like my options are either Dell or a nu-thinkpad. Anything with a build quality as good as my x201 is fine, preferably quad core with kaby lake igpu.
>>
>>59667937
>nu-thinkpad
Does this mean Lenovo? If so avoid at all costs.
>>
>>59667864
>The recent gentoo exploit has me concerned.
wut? You mean that one retarded that ran X as root?
>>
>>59668003
Current info seems to indicate some combination of firefox, adobe flash, and root as the attack vector.
So yeah, Common Sense 2017 prevails again
>>
>>59668108

>and root as the attack vector
>root
>>
>>59668124
This root guy must be one hell of a hacker, I've been hearing about him a lot since I started reading up on Linux
>>
>>59668124
the gentoo user was running firefox as root, yes
>>
>>59668003
>>59668108
>>59668152
the real lesson here: always run programs that are complex and connected to the internet like a web browser as a separate user with no priviliges.
>>
is pulseaudio good or bad? I use pulse on my desktop and just alsa on my laptop, and for my use they don't seem any different. I'm considering switching my laptop over because my favourite audio visualiser (cava) seems to depend on it, and because I want to try MATE, which needs it. I'm not a fan of systemd, does it have similar problems?
>>
>>59668204
Bad from a design standpoint, good from the end user standpoint.
>>
>>59668233
my least favourite kind of software
in what ways is the design bad? bad as in systemd, with bloated, complex low level C code?
>>
>>59668233
is JACK better? should I just stay with pure alsa and set up loopback for cava?
>>
File: pepe mountains.jpg (604KB, 2048x1284px) Image search: [Google]
pepe mountains.jpg
604KB, 2048x1284px
>>59667269
Post it pls. Also it needs a Pepe. I have several of theses.
>>
>>59668204
>don't seem any different
got em
>>
>>59668250
http://tuxradar.com/content/how-it-works-linux-audio-explained
Basically Linux audio was already a mess. Pulseaudio didn't fix anything it just sweeps it all under the rug into a "just werks" package so we can forget about the problems.
Yay, and 10yrs from now of course it'll still be a mess because pulse let developers forget how messy it was so nobody will clean it up.

>>59668269
I don't know. Despite what I think I actually still use pulse anyway. It's just easier, and it's my right to be a hypocrite.
>>
>install a new distro
>decide I don't like it after a while
>because I'm an elite hacker I run sudo rm -rf /*
>control c partway through
>reboot into kernel panic
Is there any reason not to do this?
>>
When I run any program through a terminal I get a ton of errors in the terminal, while the program functions fine. Most are gtk warnings. Is this normal?
>>
Has anyone here gone full freetard and removed all nonfree software? How is it? I'm considering doing it to escape the CIA niggers.
>>
>>59668545

If it's theme related warnings, ignore them.
>>
What's a nice gtk theme? Arc is pretty but it looks a bit boring.
>>
I'm using manjaro XFCE, and trying to run again under WINE.
The game run fine but none of the keyboard input get recognized.
Any idea?
The game in question
https://mega.nz/#!hc0TGbSB!oan0msVLzhmC484WpQ6eixTGIri_z1GMkIqjx_WHvGA
>>
>>59665875
fucking kek
>>
>>59665829
Doesn't this mean the ransomware is OS independent and uses the web browser to execute the code?
>>
>>59668745

Themes are supposed to be boring and not distracting.
My favourite boring theme is Zukitre.
>>
My friend is using ubuntu and wants to go back to windows. However, the USB where the new installation is on doesn't seem to boot on system startup, it just goes straight to ubuntu. Can anyone give me any help?
>>
File: STALLMAN SMASH.gif (4MB, 425x453px) Image search: [Google]
STALLMAN SMASH.gif
4MB, 425x453px
>>59665829
>>59665875
>>59666114
>>59668938
This idiot was using flash and running firefox as root. Competent Linux users do neither of these things. Serves him right. These attacks are obviously targeted at chromebook users since ChromOS IS Gentoo and 99.99% of Linux users will just reinstall. This/These guys are morons, this won't effect a competent user.

>Yeah, I'm guilty of running FireFox as root. Shame on me - I should have known better.
What a fucking retard.

>though adobe-flash
linux users don't tend to use flash especially more advanced users but this guy was running firefox as root also. Another point making it seem like it's targeted at chromebooks

>it's well know that Gentoo is being attacked since a while
because of chromebooks

>nothing new that they attack Gentoo too lately.....
chromebooks

>Really sad to learn that there are Gentoo specific attackers.
chromebooks
>>
>>59669436
>ChromOS
So chromOS runs as root user by default?
>>
>>59668849
Try:
>Configure WINE
>Emulate a virtual desktop

This solves tons of problems.
>>
>>59669451
Nobody said that. You should study logical fallacies.
>>
>>59668517
There is maybe potential for it to mess something up.

I remember reading a leddit post a while back about a guy who couldn't boot his laptop at all after rm -rf /, turned out it was because systemd mounted EFI variables as read write, rm deleted every single one, and the buggy pos hardware couldn't boot without them. I think it's fixed these days though, they get mounted as read only.
>>
File: monkey.jpg (15KB, 320x468px) Image search: [Google]
monkey.jpg
15KB, 320x468px
Sup ppl.
I'm using Arch with i3, nvidia blob and experiencing strangely high Xorg CPU utilization (up to 35%) when moving windows, or even mouse cursor. Basically the smallest updates of the screen cause these unusual spikes, be it scrolling in FF or enabling music visualizer in ncmpcpp.
This persists with or without running compton.
I have tried nouveau, but it was so much more fucked up I switched back to proprietary.
Intensive googling showed that many other people have been experiencing similar problems since 2006 at least, on nvidia/amd/intel and various distros. Maybe I am missing something retardedly simple? I would be really thankful for any help.
>>
>>59668293
>If we were drawing the OSI model used to describe the networking framework that connects your machine to every other machine on the network, we'd find clear strata, each with its own domain of processes and functionality. There's very little overlap in layers, and you certainly don't find end-user processes in layer seven messing with the electrical impulses of the raw bitstreams in layer one.

>Yet this is exactly what can happen with the Linux audio framework. There isn't even a clearly defined bottom level, with several audio technologies messing around with the kernel and your hardware independently. Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden.
>>
>>59669459
Tried that and it didn't work.
The game does recognize the the ESC button though.
>>
>>59669464
Then can you install ChromOS on any laptop?
>>
>>59669501
Yeah, I don't see how this is relevant though.

https://sites.google.com/site/chromeoslinux/download
>>
>>59669525
To test things.
Even if you use adobe-flash, linux shouldn't be easily compromised like that.
>>
>>59669554
Well the guy on Gentoo was running his browser as root. Doubt that ChromeOS does that but who knows. Anyways they don't know exactly what happened. I suspect it's targeted at Chromebooks and he got caught up in it. I could be completely wrong.
>>
>>59669554
Well, it's not that easily compromised. Individual user accounts are. You shouldn't run software that's vulnerable to rce's and expect not to get burnt.

And this dumbass was running flash as root.
>>
>>59669583
ChromOS default root password is root.
maybe the malware try and detect if the current user is root, if not then it will try to escalate privileges.
>>
File: 1490541342964.png (7KB, 112x112px) Image search: [Google]
1490541342964.png
7KB, 112x112px
>>59664602
What player I should use if I don't want to install codecs? :/
For music and movies..???
Best linux player???
>>
>>59669685
Codecs are windows only thing.
Use MPV/Bumi, or memeVLC
>>
>>59669685
GNU/Linux*
>>
>>59669685
You always have MPV and VLC and Parole is worth a look
>>
File: Arch.png (3KB, 144x144px) Image search: [Google]
Arch.png
3KB, 144x144px
Anyone have an idea on how to run a program that runs at lower than native resolution without stretching fullscreen? I want to have black bars instead of a stretched out image.
I couldn't find anything in nvidia-settings but it's probably somewhere. I know in windows you set it to scale with GPU instead of Display in NVIDIA control panel.
Is there anyway to do it without changing monitor resolution every time?
>>
>>59669892
Forgot to add: I'm on Arch.
>>
>>59669899
Don't pretend to be me ;_;
Also I added that picture for a reason.
>>
is there a way to run android on linux?
>>
>>59670205
is there a way not to run android on linux?
>>
>>59670205
Android already runs on Linux.
>>
redpill me on musl.
>>
File: rms.jpg (145KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
rms.jpg
145KB, 1920x1080px
>>59670205
>>59670265
>>59670271

>>
>>59670647
never give up
>>
File: 1469588522901.jpg (211KB, 664x701px) Image search: [Google]
1469588522901.jpg
211KB, 664x701px
>>59670647
>>
Forgotten manpages, post 'em.

>file system hierarchy
man hier
>proc/ pseudo-file system hierarchy
man proc
>>
>>59669356
Please help.
I managed to get into the installation, but the only disk that I can select to install windows on, is the USB. The main SSD doesn't even show up on the selection screen.
>>
>>59671028
Reset the BIOS options.
Check the boot device order, set it up so it's correct.
Then boot of your windows install usb and install it to the drive.

Windows shouldn't even be letting you install to a USB?
>>
If I install a particular Linux flavour twice, will I break grub? I want to first try out Manjaro on a smallish free partition, then if I like it, install it over my current Mint install. Leaving me with two Manjaros.
>>
>>59671093
If you like it, why not just overwrite the whole disk?
But generally no it shouldn't break it, the installer should be smart enough to scan for existing operating systems.
If it does break you can always just boot the livecd again and fix it, fixing grub isn't actually that difficult manually.
>>
>>59671093
GNU/Linux*
>>
>>59670552
Excellent tier.
You won't be able to run binaries built only with glibc though (aka nonfree software).
>>
>>59667737
Oh man I didn't realize ubuntu and arch have bspwm now. That makes things easier, I'll update the guide once I'm free. Any suggestions on later configuration steps?

https://github.com/Pineabble/easyrice/wiki/bspwm
>>
is there a command line json parser?

I don't want to download a third-party script as I can write it myself if I have to but I thought it might be built-in.
>>
>>59671639
jq, install it or lose.
>>
File: 1489825231844.jpg (227KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
1489825231844.jpg
227KB, 1280x960px
>>59664602
Any font recommendation for my i3-wm?
>>
File: 1461385595935.jpg (31KB, 512x286px) Image search: [Google]
1461385595935.jpg
31KB, 512x286px
>>59672056
https://github.com/Tecate/bitmap-fonts
>>
>>59672056
Roboto Mono
>>
>>59671868
Darn, okay there's no point in writing my own when this exists. Top tier software.
>>
>>59672085
wow, thanks, really nice collection
>>
>>59672085
>bitmap fonts
ew
>>
>>59665733
>Cinnamon pretty much since the beginning
underage detected.
>>
>>59672388
Bit hostile friend, but I agree with your sentiment.

Tiling, tmux or bust.
>>
File: big eats.jpg (62KB, 437x437px) Image search: [Google]
big eats.jpg
62KB, 437x437px
So I'm probably gonna drop money on a second cheap GPU for GPU passthrough so I can run my multihead setup, and I am curious as to how a multi drive setup would work in terms of VM.

Can I still install certain things to my SSD and HDD from within a VM for faster loading times in whatever I have on there? Or will this be asking too much of the capabilities of a VM?
>>
Ranger is adding underscores to files I've moved, am I supposed to be removing these by hand afterwards or what?
>>
>>59672437
dunno about kvm, but in oracle virtualbox you give your vm access to a list of virtual disk files which act like hard disks in a real computer.
if you give your vm a disk file on the SSD and a disk file on the HDD, then you can do the disk management in your guest OS just like you would on a physical machine.

I assume kvm does this similarly
>>
What would be a good free as in freedom and not as in free beer distro for my old laptop? Pentium M 1.4GHz, 512MiB RAM.
>>
>>59672704
Parabola
>>
>>59672704
Debian
>>
How do I enable screen lock when I put Debian Jessie to sleep/hibernate ? I am using xfce and xscreensaver.
>>
Why does i3 not execute my xrandr commands
>>
Is Mint truly the best distro for tech illiterate, beginners?
>>
>>59673190
yes, but also bad knockoff of ubuntu
install ubuntu, maybe ubuntu mate
>>
>>59673209
Literally no reason to use it over Ubuntu with cinnamon
>>
File: 1490541538986.png (100KB, 280x263px) Image search: [Google]
1490541538986.png
100KB, 280x263px
>>59672346
Is there better alternative to bitmap fonts I could install in my fedora machine?
I know nothing about fonts.
>>
Trying to install Debian and it can't read my fucking wifi connection. Do I really have to go out and buy an Ethernet cable to finish installation, and only then I can download whatever nonfree shit I need?
>>
>>59673408
Use your phone

And then just install ubuntu mate or whatever if you're not prepared to deal with this shit
>>
File: 20161220_112217.jpg (1MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
20161220_112217.jpg
1MB, 2560x1920px
Is there anyway to format a 1.44mb floppy to FAT12 format.
Or to a format that my toshiba T3100 recognizes (computer from the '86)
>Pic related is a shitty picture of the computer
I do need to install MS-DOS 3.30 and Words 1.0
>>
>>59672514
KVM is substantially more flexible than Virtualbox. If you wanted the best of both worlds, you could use lvcache and make a cached logical volume for VBox to use as a "Hard Disk". Though, I'm not sure if VBox can take LVs as hard disks...
>>
>>59673923
Well I'll probably be using KVM + QEMU. SSD will hold my Linux install, so I would assume it would also hold a disk image file for Windows on it, correct?

Or does it not use disk image files, and just use an actual file strucutre instead? That would be much more preferable, especially if I was able to access the contents of my TB storage drive from within the VM if necessary.

Forgive me, I've never used it all that much
>>
>>59673973
GNU/Linux*
>>
File: 71ufng%2Bgy-L._SL1500_.jpg (59KB, 1500x1192px) Image search: [Google]
71ufng%2Bgy-L._SL1500_.jpg
59KB, 1500x1192px
I'm using Wacom Bamboo tablet with manjaro + XFCE.
Everything works out of the box except I can't seem to change the tablet buttons.

Any idea how to change it?
>>
How the fuck can I get shnsplit to properly split multi-disc albums? Each disc has its own .cue file, all in the same folder (one per album). I just want the split filenames to look like

1-01 [disk1track1]
1-02 [disk1track2]
2-01 [disk2track1

Is this possible? Can't find shit on the web about how to do this
>>
>>59673769
FAT12 is the format for floppies.

Your problem is that that floppy drive on that PC from 1986 uses a floppy format that doesn't work on modern machine, i.e a PC from 1999 would have used high density VS double density or something along those lines.

IF you can swap the drive on that laptop with something more modern you might have some better luck OR maybe by a USB to floppy port converter.
>>
>>59673769
FAT12 is what (DOS) floppies normally use
your machine might not support DD (1.44MB) floppies
>>
>>59673973
>Well I'll probably be using KVM + QEMU.
It isn't necessary to do so. You can still use VBox if you're comfortable with it, or don't want to use Virt-Manager/$FLAVOROFMONTH libvirt frontend.
>SSD will hold my Linux install, so I would assume it would also hold a disk image file for Windows on it, correct?
Not always. But the first question is to ask, did you set up your machine already, or are you just planning it out?
>Or does it not use disk image files, and just use an actual file strucutre instead?
KVM will use whatever you give it. It'll use block devices, flat files, logical volumes...
It really isn't picky.

>That would be much more preferable, especially if I was able to access the contents of my TB storage drive from within the VM if necessary.
Qemu can share that with usermode networking over SMB, if I remember correctly. VBox can probably of something similar.
>Forgive me, I've never used it all that much.
It's cool. Everyone was a newbie once.
>>
>>59674051
>>59674090
Okay, thank you for your help
>>
File: a.png (149KB, 819x912px) Image search: [Google]
a.png
149KB, 819x912px
>>59674143
the wikipedia article for that laptop says it uses a 720KB internal floppy drive
most older 1.44MB internal PC floppy drives support 720KB disks, if you pick up a modern usb drive or emulating drive, double check it supports 720KB disks beforehand as not all of them do

ps. you can modify 1.44MB disks to be formatted and used as 720KB disks
>>
>>59673769
oh shit its big bertha all over again
>>
File: 1478628556573.png (59KB, 499x499px) Image search: [Google]
1478628556573.png
59KB, 499x499px
Hey /g/, what's the best lightweight and user-friendly distro for daily use?
>>
why does my computah work extra gud when obsolete
>>
File: specs of usb FDD.png (45KB, 490x340px) Image search: [Google]
specs of usb FDD.png
45KB, 490x340px
>>59674320
Hmm, maybe that might be it. According to this chinkshit usb floppy drive manual, there is not mentioning of 720KB
>>
>>59674453
by the time usb floppy drives became a thing, 720KB was long gone, so support was not really expected
>>
File: 1467473765648.jpg (107KB, 390x292px) Image search: [Google]
1467473765648.jpg
107KB, 390x292px
is arch linux a meme or is it good
>>
>>59674719
Both. Expect minor rare breakages but running the latest versions of everything with the best package manager is good.
>>
File: fujitsu-lifebook-735Dx-2.jpg (233KB, 700x828px) Image search: [Google]
fujitsu-lifebook-735Dx-2.jpg
233KB, 700x828px
>>59674549
Shit, I hope I can still recover this using my fujitsu
>pic related
This can take both CD and Floppys at the same time. Similar mechanism to thinkpad ultrabay
>>
For a couple of weeks now all my Windows in Ubuntu 16.04 all my window corners and window icons (close, minimize, etc) appear distorted. After I reset my system it fixes itself, but it seems to start up again after I suspend the system. Any ideas? See pic related.
>>
>>59674995
That's pretty A E S T H E T I C
how did you archive this?
>>
>>59674995
Have you tried changing the theme?
>>
Good thread.
>>
>>59675748
good post
>>
>>59664602

Which distro has moved on from X?
>>
>>59675812
unironically rebecca black OS
>>
>>59675812
Fedora now uses wayland. But X applications are still run under xwayland.
>>
File: ed7TNHY.jpg (127KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
ed7TNHY.jpg
127KB, 640x640px
is it possible to set i3gaps so that when there's one terminal window on a workspace, they're bigger, but when I add more, their size reduces?
>>
>>59674719
It's a fucking nuisance, that's what it is.
It's good if you want to learn what does what in your system, but the novelty wears off after some time and then it's just annoying.
By all means, go for it, but it's not an end-all distro.
>>
>>59676104
>It's good if you want to learn what does what in your system
stale and debunked parrot meme
stop posting it
>>
>>59674386
Xubuntu or the Xfce Fedora spin.
I haven't used Xubuntu for some time so I don't know how good the latest release is, but Fedora is okayish.
>>
>>59676122
how about providing actual arguments instead of being just a cunt?
>>
Even the Linux foundation apparently doesnt use Linux https://jobspresso.co/job/helpdesk-technician/

>Must have OSX/Windows exp
>>
>>59674386
i think bumsenlabs is nice
- lightweight
- debian based
- not much modifications other than making it run ootb and look nice
- no memes so far
>>
>>59665598
Update: I gathered all the wireless adapters in my house and tried them, best I got was from an old TP-link adapter but it's still limited to 11g and my pipe needs at least 11n to get full speeds. Starting to think this was a bad idea to do right now. Maybe a couple more years and wifi driver support will finally be decent.
>>
>>59676203
>the Linux foundation
who?
>>
>>59676215
>I gathered all the wireless adapters in my house
why are you collecting wireless adapters?
>>
>>59676203
>>59676233
The linux foundation is redhat and some corporate red hat sponsors.
>>
>>59676247
Why not? Everyone has his fetishes.
>>
Open Source is a stepping stone.
>>
>>59676203
>Helpdesk Technician
>Ability to lift, carry and transport objects weighing up to 25lbs.
I'm not surprised that they don't need to know linux.
>>
>>59676203
to be fair, a lot of redhat employees use windows because corporate execs can't into loonix
>>
File: nigga stole my bike.jpg (272KB, 2272x1704px) Image search: [Google]
nigga stole my bike.jpg
272KB, 2272x1704px
>>59676247
I have problems throwing things out
>>
>>59676356
give it back tyrone
>>
File: rms.jpg (530KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
rms.jpg
530KB, 1200x1600px
>>59676332

>>
>>59676538
Why doesn't this get autobanned on /g/ anymore?
>>
>>59676577
Because people need to respect GNU for their contributions that make the GNU/Linux operating system like it is today.
>>
File: Linus guy.png (158KB, 639x349px) Image search: [Google]
Linus guy.png
158KB, 639x349px
>>59676538
No, Richard, it's 'Linux', not 'GNU/Linux'. The most important contributions that the FSF made to Linux were the creation of the GPL and the GCC compiler. Those are fine and inspired products. GCC is a monumental achievement and has earned you, RMS, and the Free Software Foundation countless kudos and much appreciation.
Following are some reasons for you to mull over, including some already answered in your FAQ.
One guy, Linus Torvalds, used GCC to make his operating system (yes, Linux is an OS -- more on this later). He named it 'Linux' with a little help from his friends. Why doesn't he call it GNU/Linux? Because he wrote it, with more help from his friends, not you. You named your stuff, I named my stuff -- including the software I wrote using GCC -- and Linus named his stuff. The proper name is Linux because Linus Torvalds says so. Linus has spoken. Accept his authority. To do otherwise is to become a nag. You don't want to be known as a nag, do you?
(An operating system) != (a distribution). Linux is an operating system. By my definition, an operating system is that software which provides and limits access to hardware resources on a computer. That definition applies whereever you see Linux in use. However, Linux is usually distributed with a collection of utilities and applications to make it easily configurable as a desktop system, a server, a development box, or a graphics workstation, or whatever the user needs. In such a configuration, we have a Linux (based) distribution. Therein lies your strongest argument for the unwieldy title 'GNU/Linux' (when said bundled software is largely from the FSF). Go bug the distribution makers on that one. Take your beef to Red Hat, Mandrake, and Slackware. At least there you have an argument. Linux alone is an operating system that can be used in various applications without any GNU software whatsoever. Embedded applications come to mind as an obvious example.
>>
File: linus-torvalds.jpg (16KB, 221x336px) Image search: [Google]
linus-torvalds.jpg
16KB, 221x336px
>>59676538
Next, even if we limit the GNU/Linux title to the GNU-based Linux distributions, we run into another obvious problem. XFree86 may well be more important to a particular Linux installation than the sum of all the GNU contributions. More properly, shouldn't the distribution be called XFree86/Linux? Or, at a minimum, XFree86/GNU/Linux? Of course, it would be rather arbitrary to draw the line there when many other fine contributions go unlisted. Yes, I know you've heard this one before. Get used to it. You'll keep hearing it until you can cleanly counter it.
You seem to like the lines-of-code metric. There are many lines of GNU code in a typical Linux distribution. You seem to suggest that (more LOC) == (more important). However, I submit to you that raw LOC numbers do not directly correlate with importance. I would suggest that clock cycles spent on code is a better metric. For example, if my system spends 90% of its time executing XFree86 code, XFree86 is probably the single most important collection of code on my system. Even if I loaded ten times as many lines of useless bloatware on my system and I never excuted that bloatware, it certainly isn't more important code than XFree86. Obviously, this metric isn't perfect either, but LOC really, really sucks. Please refrain from using it ever again in supporting any argument.
Last, I'd like to point out that we Linux and GNU users shouldn't be fighting among ourselves over naming other people's software. But what the heck, I'm in a bad mood now. I think I'm feeling sufficiently obnoxious to make the point that GCC is so very famous and, yes, so very useful only because Linux was developed. In a show of proper respect and gratitude, shouldn't you and everyone refer to GCC as 'the Linux compiler'? Or at least, 'Linux GCC'? Seriously, where would your masterpiece be without Linux? Languishing with the HURD?
If there is a moral buried in this rant, maybe it is this:
>>
File: rms.jpg (141KB, 1154x768px) Image search: [Google]
rms.jpg
141KB, 1154x768px
>>59676679
>>59676702
Many users (like you) do not understand the difference between the kernel, which is Linux, and the whole system, which they also call "Linux". The ambiguous use of the name doesn't help people understand. These users often think that Linus Torvalds developed the whole operating system in 1991, with a bit of help.

What they found was no accident-it was the not-quite-complete GNU system. The available free software added up to a complete system because the GNU Project had been working since 1984 to make one. In the The GNU Manifesto we set forth the goal of developing a free Unix-like system, called GNU. The Initial Announcement of the GNU Project also outlines some of the original plans for the GNU system. By the time Linux was started, GNU was almost finished.

Most free software projects have the goal of developing a particular program for a particular job. For example, Linus Torvalds set out to write a Unix-like kernel (Linux); Donald Knuth set out to write a text formatter (TeX); Bob Scheifler set out to develop a window system (the X Window System). It's natural to measure the contribution of this kind of project by specific programs that came from the project.

If we tried to measure the GNU Project's contribution in this way, what would we conclude? One CD-ROM vendor found that in their Linux distribution, GNU software was the largest single contingent, around 28% of the total source code, and this included some of the essential major components without which there could be no system. Linux itself was about 3%. (The proportions in 2008 are similar: in the "main" repository of gNewSense, Linux is 1.5% and GNU packages are 15%.) So if you were going to pick a name for the system based on who wrote the programs in the system, the most appropriate single choice would be "GNU".
>>
File: linus 3.jpg (9KB, 181x278px) Image search: [Google]
linus 3.jpg
9KB, 181x278px
>>59676538
Be grateful for your abilities and your incredible success and your considerable fame. Continue to use that success and fame for good, not evil. Also, be especially grateful for Linux' huge contribution to that success. You, RMS, the Free Software Foundation, and GNU software have reached their current high profiles largely on the back of Linux. You have changed the world. Now, go forth and don't be a nag.
Thanks for listening.
>>
File: g-tan.jpg (190KB, 760x1000px) Image search: [Google]
g-tan.jpg
190KB, 760x1000px
>>59676711
I'm terribly sorry for interjecting another moment, but what I just told you is GNU/Linux is, in fact, just Linux, or as I've just now taken to calling it, Just Linux. Linux apparently does happen to be a whole operating system unto itself and comprises a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Most computer users who run the entire Linux system every day already realize it. Through a peculiar turn of events, I was misled into calling the system "GNU/Linux", and until now, I was unaware that it is basically the Linux system, developed by the Linux project.

There really isn't a GNU/Linux, and I really wasn't using it; it is an extraneous misrepresentation of the system that's being used. Linux is the operating system: the entire system made useful by its included corelibs, shell utilities, and other vital system components. The kernel is already an integral part of the Linux operating system, never confined useless by itself; it functions coherently within the context of the complete Linux operating system. Linux is never used in combination with GNU accessories: the whole system is basically Linux without any GNU added, or Just Linux. All the so-called "GNU/Linux" distributions are really distributions of Linux.
>>
File: rms.jpg (527KB, 1766x2288px) Image search: [Google]
rms.jpg
527KB, 1766x2288px
>>59676722
Whether you use GNU/Linux or not, please don't confuse the public by using the name “Linux” ambiguously. Linux is the kernel, one of the essential major components of the system. The system as a whole is basically the GNU system, with Linux added. When you're talking about this combination, please call it “GNU/Linux”.
>>
>inb4 bans after pasta: the wall of text war
>>
File: user was banned for this post.gif (410KB, 350x263px) Image search: [Google]
user was banned for this post.gif
410KB, 350x263px
>>59676819
>>
Trying to install a .deb package, but says some packages need to be updated, how do I accomplish this?
Also for future reference, is there a way to run this package installer while including a command to just automatically update or download any dependencies?
>>
>>59676889
Forgot pic
>>
>>59676577
The interjection is actual education. The replies are stupid memes.
>>
>>59676968
There's an RMS twitter bot that responds to global hastags and interjects
>>
>>59676577
>asking for censorship
>>>/p/lebbit
>>
File: 1486658527988.jpg (138KB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
1486658527988.jpg
138KB, 1200x675px
what is the best antivirus software for gnu plus linux?
>>
>>59677386
taking away your root access
>>
>>59677342
I assume you weren't here when people were using bots to post this pasta.
>>
>>59677386
common sense
>>
>>59677386
Common Sense 2017
>>
>tfw your shitty core 2 duo lags horribly in gnome
>>
>>59677450
There's plenty of hardware accelerated environments
>>
>>59677386
>>59677409
>>59677414
cant find a download
>>
Memes: >>59677495
>>
>>59677386

Common Sense 2017 NG
>>
>>59677386
linux has no viruses
Thread posts: 308
Thread images: 50

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.