[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 311
Thread images: 40

File: 1460715538177.jpg (1014KB, 1013x1123px) Image search: [Google]
1460715538177.jpg
1014KB, 1013x1123px
Previous thread: >>59664602

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (try to use a search engine that respects your privacy such as searx, ixquick or startpage).

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
https://wiki.archlinux.org
https://wiki.gentoo.org

/g/'s Wiki on GNU/Linux:
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
http://www.commandlinefu.com/
http://bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
http://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
http://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
http://www.grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: >>>/t/749768
/t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos: >>>/t/713097

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
http://fglt.nl && https://p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy
>>
Trying to install a .deb package, but says some packages need to be updated, how do I accomplish this?
Also for future reference, is there a way to run this package installer while including a command to just automatically update or download any dependencies?
>>
>>59677608
your distro is too old
>>
File: 1483080253444.png (148KB, 1280x797px) Image search: [Google]
1483080253444.png
148KB, 1280x797px
Is Arch Anywhere the recommended auto installer for arch still, or has something replaced it?
>>
File: 1472371499519.webm (3MB, 958x754px) Image search: [Google]
1472371499519.webm
3MB, 958x754px
>>59677950
>>
>>59678050
I've installed arch many times by hand anon.

I appreciate your feedback though
>>
>>59677950
It seems like the best. It's just a curses frontend for a collection of simple install scripts, and the finished install will be exactly the same as normal Arch if you don't choose a desktop. Also, it seems to (for me at least) rank mirrors properly. I always mess up mirrors doing it manually.
There's nothing wrong with an installer. I have installed Arch manually twice, but if you need to do it quickly/repeatedly there's no reason not to use an installer.
>>
Has anyone here tried Alpine Linux before?
>>
how to get webm previews in the gtk file picker?
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-03-31_17-17-42.png (215KB, 1366x742px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-03-31_17-17-42.png
215KB, 1366x742px
>>59677608
>vbam-gtk
Why wouldn't you just use retroarch and add the vbam core?
>>
Please convince me to install GNU/Linux as my primary OS.

I use Kubuntu 16.04 at work and it's fine, I'm good with bash, and I don't have strong preferences in terms of DE since 99% of times I'm in terminal/IDE/browser.

It's just that at home I use hackintosh and macOS is a very nice system stuffed with elegant, easy to use software that suits the laid-back way of using my home machine. It just works and all.

But at the same time, sometimes I work from home and I'm irritated by the little differences in workflow, compatibility, hotkeys, file paths and the like. It would be so much simpler to use Linux at home as well, but I'm not sure if it'll be totally hassle-free.

Thoughts? What are your work and home environments? How do you deal with having different OSes on the computers you own/use?
>>
why doesn't this work?
echo "This is a test." | wall

shouldn't it send a message to all terminals?
>>
>>59678581
It does. Your problem is that you think of a terminal emulator as actual terminal. Go to a TTY (CTRL+ALT+F1-7) and you'll see the sent messages.
>>
Can we all agree that cat and echo is the best way to edit text?
>>
>>59678759
sed
>>
>>59678747
how do I make it work on terminal emulators?
>>
Should I update my kernel to 410
>>
>>59678050
Is there a webm for gentoo?
>>
>>59678768
You can write to other terminal emulators by redirecting to their file. Run $ tty to find the current one. For this example it's /dev/pts/4, now do this:
echo faggot > /dev/pts/4
>>
What's a good distro for live-booting off a USB?

I was considering Tails because I'd also get to be anonymous as fuck but I really don't need tor for everyday browsing, and I feel like it would be easier to configure encryption and minimum swappiness on a random distro to secure it than trying to re-configure Tails to not use tor everywhere and de-secure it.

Am I wrong? Any other recommendations?
>>
>>59678848
subtile chuckle
>>
>>59678897
Most linux installers will even do the encryption for you. Why do you even want to use a live usb?
>>
File: 1471716829214.jpg (82KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1471716829214.jpg
82KB, 250x250px
>>59678932
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
>>59678932
To carry my entire system on my keychain

It's not gonna be my primary system, in fact it's more of a fun project (but I'd still like it to be practical otherwise there's literally no point).
>>
>>59678897
Pendrive linux and porteus
>>
>>59678964
>carry my entire system on my keychain
and then you go outside, booze a lot and your entire system accidently into some random toilet
>>
>>59678964
Afaik tails doesn't do anything special apart from using tor. Any live linux distro will do the job without leaving any traces on your pc.
>>
>>59678998
GNU/Linux*
>>
>>59678922
>implying you would not masturbate to Xorg compilation
>>
Why is systemd such a worthless piece of fucking shit? What's the point of automating something as a systemd service it loses its shit when theres a hardware failure or error or if something's missing? Why do I habe to wait 90 seconds before getting control of my fucking computer? You cant ctrl c or ctrl x. I tried changing the timers in the config files, nothing. How is this acceptable? Everytime my wifi changes an address (if I use a different port or sometimes for no reason) netctl freaks out and makes me wait 90 seconds until I can reenable the service. Fuck systemd, this unusable piece of garbage makes me want to switch to Void or Gentoo. Why doesn't Windows 10 lose its shit when you move hardware around? Systemd made Linux worse than fucking Windows 10.
>>
>>59679005
Linux*
>>
>>59679047
>Why do I habe to wait 90 seconds before getting control of my fucking computer? You cant ctrl c or ctrl x
I agree, it can be annoying. You can change it in the configs though.
DefaultTimeoutStartSec and DefaultTimeoutStopSec in /etc/systemd/system.conf
>>
>>59678888
interesting
>>
>>59679066
GNU/Linux*
>>
>>59679091
Linux*
>>
>>59679127
GNU/Linux*
>>
>>59678972
What's the pendrive linux meme

The website isn't very clear. Is it just a tool to create bootable USBs? If so, what makes it different from literally anything else like unetbootin? If not, what the heck is it and why should I use it?
>>
>>59679133
Linux*
>>
is there any way to run android apps on linux?
>>
>>59679151
GNU/Linux*
>>59679167
Yes.
>>
>>59679186
GNU+Linux
>>
>>59679186
Linux*
>>
>>59678395
anyone ;_;
>>
File: pepe silvia.png (113KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
pepe silvia.png
113KB, 250x250px
Just getting internet is a struggle on useless linux. It works, you restart and it's fucked.

I spend 30 min dicking with ifcfg files every time I boot and I'm losing it
>>
>>59679308
yes
>>
>>59679308
Where can I download Useless Linux?
>>
>>59679420
I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're refering to as Useless Linux, is in fact, all distributions of Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, Useless equals Linux. Useless Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather an umbrella term of a supposed to be functioning computer system made useless by the corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
>>
>>59679308
30 minutes
>sudo ifconfig eth0 down
>ifconfig eth0 up
>service network restart

Is that hard? Shit if you notice that running the same sequence of commands one startup fixes the issue then fucking put it in a script and set a cronjob to have it run at startup.
>>
Not strictly G/L related but how do you guys organize your multi-disc albums, and why? Do you prefer one directory per album with disc # prefix in filename like:

1-01 disk1track1
1-02 disk1track2
2-01 disk2track1

or one subdirectory per disc within the album directory?
>>
>>59679308
sudo dhcpcd gets my internet going after a restart every time
>>
I have a program that runs fullscreen at a lower resolution and stretches to native. Is there anyway to get it to run blackbars instead? I'm on Arch Linux and can't find anything about scaling in nvidia-settings.
>>
how usable is slackware and gentoo? i'm getting rid of debian now and i'm either going back to arch or trying out one of those i guess

anyone got any suggestions? my primary concern is that the repos are updated and large, and that there's good security and not random issues. for some reason debian has had a bunch of issues for me compared to arch
>>
>>59679994
kek
>>
Im dual booting Ubuntu and Windows 10. Whenever I boot into Ubuntu, instead of the usual loading screen i'm getting just a purple screen without the logo and the little dots. It boots perfectly fine, but it kinda bothers me.

Does anyone know how to solve this?
>>
File: aaaaaaaaa.gif (517KB, 147x162px) Image search: [Google]
aaaaaaaaa.gif
517KB, 147x162px
>>59677495
Hotspot/Repeater mode
Many tutorials for such require an eth0 connection to internet then broadcasts the AP
How do I go about receiving on wlan0 and broadcasting my ap on wlan1
They are both wn722n tp-link adapters which support AP
Tutorials/Links/Help?
>>
>>59680621
stop dual booting and use a VM

and i'm only half-joking. you'll save yourself more headache in the future. computers work best when the low-level stuff is integrated with just one OS, or at least one OS family (e.g. other GNU/Linux distros)
>>
>>59680663
Someday. I like how fast my laptop performs with Linux, but I'm still attached to muh games.
>>
>>59680688
Virtualbox has GPU passthrough now.
>>
File: k.png (163KB, 536x800px) Image search: [Google]
k.png
163KB, 536x800px
>>
File: .png (146KB, 671x519px) Image search: [Google]
.png
146KB, 671x519px
>>59680663
>computers work best when the low-level stuff is integrated with just one OS, or at least one OS family (e.g. other GNU/Linux distros)
>>
>>59680688
GNU/Linux*
>>
>>59680824
I'm using android x86. quit assuming shit
>>
>>59680839
Android/Linux*
>>
File: megumeme.jpg (42KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
megumeme.jpg
42KB, 480x480px
hello, /flt/!

I have been trying for quite some time to install g++ 7 on my Debian machine. I was able to install it quite easily on my mac (as homebrew had a formula for it). However I cannot seem to find a way to install it on Linux.

This individual: http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/334888/how-install-g-4-9-on-debian-stretch

had a thread on installing g++ 4.9, and changing the url he gave led me to this page: http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/g/gcc-7/

which seems to be in the right direction... But I imagine installing it this way might lead to a few potential problems down the road when I wish to update these packages.

Is there a source I'm missing? Or is there maybe a place where I can download and compile everything I need to get it running?

Thank you for your help.

Helpful Data:
My kernel is x86_64 Linux 3.16.0-4-amd64.
>>
>>59680880
/fglt/*
GNU/Linux*
>>
>>59680890
I realized that as soon as I hit post. Sorry to disappoint.
>>
>>59680890
Isn't gnu just a /g/ a meme?
>>
>>59680912
Yep, Stallman is just some random stockphoto guy.
>>
>>59680912
No. There are GNU/Linux autists that don't go on /g/.
Richard Stallman, for example.
>>
File: 1481380722319.jpg (164KB, 450x508px) Image search: [Google]
1481380722319.jpg
164KB, 450x508px
I am starting to use Linux.

I follow many little and slow imageboards and foruns, and I frequently forget to check many of them.

I was wondering if, maybe I could have one i3wm or konky thing that always tell me if there is a new reply in these websites. Of course, they wouldn't check every 10 seconds because I think it will feel heavy to hold, but, I was wondering if this could check it every 10 minutes or so.

Is there any pre-config that can be doing it? What should I study or check to try to make it myself? I feel lost without know where to start.

Sorry me English and if this is obvious, I am new in this cyber-mofucking-world.
>>
File: 1475450143949.png (12KB, 372x103px) Image search: [Google]
1475450143949.png
12KB, 372x103px
>>59680912
https://www.gnu.org/
>>
>>59680966
Maybe that's a good project for you to learn the command line. You could use curl to get the content of a website and compare it - if different, play a sound.
>>
>>59681018
Well, "curl" at least is a beggining.

Since I am not a native-english speaker, I kinda suck to search for stuff, and sometimes I want something but I don't know not even where to start to search to get what I want from Linux.

Thanks bro.
>>
>>59680966
>>59681018
>>59681036
GNU/Linux*

curl-notify() { 
url="${1:?}"
delay="${2:-10}"
while :; do
ct="$(curl -s "${url}" | md5sum)"
if [ "${ct}" != "${lt}" ]; then
lt="${ct}"
notify-send -u critical "${url}" 'Something happened.'
fi
sleep "${delay}"
done
}

Usage: $ curl-notify <your_website_url> <delay>
>>
What browser does /fglt/ recommend?
>>
>>59681115
Firefox Nightly combined with 10 hours about:config tweaking. Icecat. qutebrowser. w3m.
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-03-31_21-00-02.png (161KB, 219x612px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-03-31_21-00-02.png
161KB, 219x612px
>>59680966
>I feel lost without know where to start.
Well where are you at? Answer these so people can start to help you:

What distro are you using?
Is i3 installed?
Are you already using i3?
Have you installed conky?

>i3
i3 is configured through 2 text files. One, for the bar and one for the window manager.
The window manager config is located at /home/yourname/.config/i3/config
The i3bar config is located at /etc/i3status.conf

>conky
by default conky will look for a config located at /home/yourname/.conkyrc or you can point to it with the -c flag like:
conky -c ~/Conky/conkymain
You might want to use more than one instance, this way you can.

>>59681077
I think he wants to incorporate this into a conky instance. What do you think about that senpai?
>>
>>59681115
Chromium
>>
>>59681285
Where am I?

Well, I just got Linux mint, and learn some terminal commands and other stuff. Put my computer in a design I wanted and just that, never use Windows after that cause my computer is now faster and easier to manage.

Actually I want it to put on Conky or i3wm, I just want a easy way to follow my feeds.

I am lost I know, but everyone have to start from somewhere.

I also went to some linux places but no one could help me (and actually I was kinda afraid to say I want it to go and check imageboards).
>>
>>59679627
>service network restart
lolwut
>>
Who /debianstable/ here? I think I will switch to stable when stretch is released.
>>
>>59680741
can i do this with a laptop with only igpu though?
as a complete noob whos capable of following instructions
>>
>>59681427
IDK but this looks relevant
leddit/r/linux_gaming/comments/3ez95g/does_vtd_gpu_passthrough_work_for_intel/
>>
File: Wfsmh1984.jpg (39KB, 337x459px) Image search: [Google]
Wfsmh1984.jpg
39KB, 337x459px
Okay SO I need microsoft word, preferably the latest version. I had a look at wine and it looks like the compatibility is shit.

I was thinking the simplest way to have it run is via a virtual machine. Apparently, I can make it run seamlessly through the dock of ubuntu. Is this correct?

I was also considering using the Microsoft Word web app but it seems limited in its functionality.
>>
>>59678759
ed is the standard text editor.
>>
File: stallman.jpg (27KB, 593x445px) Image search: [Google]
stallman.jpg
27KB, 593x445px
>>59681371
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
>>59681507
is relevant but doesnt really offer a workable solution
>>
>>59681594
/g/ needs a ROBOT9001 filter.
>>
>>59681629
>>>/r9k/
>>
>>59679994
Don't forget Fedora anon
I hear it's pretty usable out of the box and isn't as opinionated as *buntu
>>
>>59680880
Nvm, I figured it out.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/43151627/installing-g-7-0-1-on-debian-8-7

In case anyone else is wondering.
>>
File: 1482713302241.jpg (29KB, 450x685px) Image search: [Google]
1482713302241.jpg
29KB, 450x685px
Anon, what are some cool terminal commands?
>>
>>59681741
sudo rm -rf --no-preserve-root /
>>
File: 1473103889603.gif (153KB, 771x80px) Image search: [Google]
1473103889603.gif
153KB, 771x80px
>>59681755
>>
Is Revenge Installer a botnet? I want to switch to Arch but I'm not spending 12 hours reading guides and doing it manually like a sperg if I can just go through an easy installer.
>>
>>59681818
install gentoo
>>
>>59681741
reposting this
espeak -s 60 --stdout < /dev/urandom | ffplay -nodisp - -af aformat=channel_layouts=1c,asetrate=16000,aecho=0.8:0.9:1052 2>/dev/null
>>
I've been playing around with Linux on and off for years. One of the things that irks me is how i need to configure different repos and add dependencies for numerous packages. I feel like after a while my system is bogged with garbage and shit i no longer use or care about.

On windows, it's pretty straight forward to just uninstall something and run a registry cleaner once in a while, but Linux seems to get really messy and not clear what's required or necessary

Am i missing something?
>>
>>59682398
How do i keep my system clean? Also, i feel like i have to Google how to install everything. Is this normal? How am i expected to know what to type in the terminal
>>
>>59678126
Well it took me 3 hours to use arch anywhere, but apparently I was trying to use UEFI which just fucked everything. But when I went to install it properly, took an absolute fuckload of time to download, so I think I fucked up the mirror sorter on accident.

Still a pretty good way to instal arch if you're into that kinda thing.
>>
>>59682398
>>59682415
you uninstall them?
>>
Installed windows 10 after debian, tried to fix the boot, failed.

Cleaned whole debian partition as a clean install felt right, grabbed ubuntu gnome.

Now I keep getting errors from the efibootmgr saying a variable couldn't be used. This is driving me crazy.

So far I tried mounting the partitions and reinstalling grub with no luck. I tried the liveUSB boot-repair GUI approach, this failed as well.

I feel like my only option is turning my BIOS in pure legacy mode and reinstalling both windows and linux in that order.

I just wanted some games for a change, rip pure linux thinkpad.

Anyone had some similar problems?

I updated my BIOS just in case. BIOS is pure UEFI, CSM disabled
>>
>>59683511
>UEFI
>Freedom
Choose one(1) and only one(1), anon.
>>
>>59679047

Yes, and your shell script could handle that. Totally.
>>
>>59678395
>>59679262

Instal ffmpegthumbnailer. Go into webm directory with file manager and let it create thumbnails.
>>
>>59681818

You don't need Arch. Kill yourself pretentious idiot.
>>
>>59683523
I was already installing windows, I am already non-free at this point. Besides, I am not using a free BIOS.
>>
>>59683553
arch is by far the best unless you want 3 year old packages
>>
>want to improve my german by posting on german linux related forums
>every other question is opensuse related

Wew it was true
>>
>>59683597

If he was in a position to need Arch, he'd be able to spend 10 minutes reading 10 installation steps. All he is is a pretentious retard who wants to be cool for installing an operating system.
>>
>>59682398
Solutions are in the works.

One possible solution is distributions like NixOS and GuixSD.
Basically your entire system is 100% reproducible based on a main system config file and is guaranteed to have nothing extra just lying around.

For example, you could have a 10yr old install and a brand new one, and if they both have the same config file then they will be identical (aside from stuff in your $HOME directory of course)

But they are not yet ready for every day use.
>>
>>59683710

Current package managers leave nothing behind. You don't need any improvement. Tell them to delete configuration files and they will.

>>>59682398
No, it's not straightforward on Windows. Your "Registry Cleaners" cannot clean everything. How do you think they know what to clean? How do they know something is not being used? At best it's a guessing game. THen you have the leftover files all over your filesystem.

Linux distributions don't have those because of package managers. The core principle of those is to track every file that's installed. Since it's tracked, it can be uninstalled completely.
>>
What directory location do you guys put apps that don't come from package managers and don't have install script or wizards?

Any best practices?
>>
>>59683852
>You don't need any improvement.
I'm no expert, but if half of Ubuntu users need to re-install their OS every six months because the upgrades break then I'm pretty sure the package manager is not perfect.
>>
>>59683909

You create a package yourself.

>>59683924

I've updated Ubuntu between releases once and it worked without problems. That has nothing to do with the "problem" that started the discussion anyway.
>>
When i open a pdf the first 3 pages are black with static dispersed, 4th page is fine..... pdf is 1052 pages. I've tried Okular, evince, etc even gimp and firefox nothings worked so far.

pdf opens fine in windows.
>>
File: GNU slash wallpaper.jpg (88KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
GNU slash wallpaper.jpg
88KB, 1920x1200px
>>59683909
I keep a folder at /home/anon/Documents/git-clones which is where I put everything that I compile myself, which always involves git cloning hence the name. Thinking about moving to /home/anon/.git-clones or something to make it more hidden but it really doesn't matter.
>>
is dbus a botnet?
>>
what program should I use to automatically connect to wifi on my thinkpad? preferably something minimalist/ curses, must work with runit.
>>
>>59684229
no, its a meme

>>59684273
nmtui
>>
>>59684229
this is what happens when you overdose on FUD
>>
I have a 4x4tb raid10 mdadm array being backed up onto a 3x3tb spanned lvm volume in ubuntu.

I want to have more storage and was wondering what to do with the raid10 since it seems a bit overkill having a raid10 and it being backed up. One option is to convert it to a raid5 but I don't know if that's smart. I'm leaning towards simply spanning them but then I get zero speed gain.

Is it riskier to to use raid0 than span? Either way a single disk failure will kill the array anyway right?
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-04-01_02-36-21.png (117KB, 1165x709px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-04-01_02-36-21.png
117KB, 1165x709px
>>59682415
>>59682398
>How do i keep my system clean?
Personally I keep track of everything manually. Everything I install that brings a bunch of dependencies with it I copy them from the terminal and throw them in a text file so that I can reference it and get rid of everything if I want since e.g. you install gnome-shell and it pulls 22 dependencies with it and when you go to remove it will only removes one package, "gnome-shell". There may a simpler way to do it with a terminal command but I wouldn't trust it. I like to do it this way. That's just what I do. Fight me.

>Also, i feel like i have to Google how to install everything. Is this normal?
Kind of kind of not. Depends on distribution to an extent hence why people like Arch so much e.g. try pacman -S package-name and if it's not there yaourt package-name. If you're compiling from source there is generally compilation instructions on the github page.

>How am i expected to know what to type in the terminal
You get familiar with naming conventions eventually. Still sometimes you may have to search for a package name which is no big deal and should take like 10 seconds.

>>59683852
>Current package managers leave nothing behind.
Bullshit. They leave packages behind. Go install plasma, it will pull 300 something dependencies with it and when you uninstall it will remove 1. I haven't seen a foolproof way of purging everything except for keeping track yourself. Enlighten me.

>>59677950
it's great

>>59682462
>I was trying to use UEFI which just fucked everything
I've used Arch-anywhere with UEFI a few times with no issue

>took an absolute fuckload of time to download
Doesn't it ask you if you would like to rank mirrors? Did you say yes?

>>59683553
Arch has the best software availability and package manager. Get over it.

>>59683511
>Installed windows 10 after debian
Why would you install Windows 2nd? I have a feeling that you knew it was a bad idea but did it anyways.
>>
>people complain about systemd being a potential security hole/backdoor for the cia niggers to exploit, while running a kernel with closed source drivers
>people complain about red hat's influence on systemd and them gaining excessive control of linux, while using software made by red hat like udev, dbus, btrfs, network manager, kernel patches etc
>>
Looking to nuke my laptop with a fresh new GNU/Linux install, I'm looking for a professional-tier distro and I can't decide which of these: Ubuntu, Fedora, openSUSE
Which one of these should I choose (or other if you think suits better)
Help a fellow penguin
>>
>>59684312

>Go install plasma, it will pull 300 so...
First of all, you're talking as if there's only 1 package manager.
Secondly, that doesn't really matter, because all package managers are able to remove any file they track/install.
I use pacman, and it has a clear flag which also uninstalls all dependencies. Apt has the autoremove option which uninstalls unneeded dependencies. I'm not familiar with other pacakage managers but I am very sure they have similar options.
>>
>>59684312

>Arch has the best software availability and package manager. Get over it.
Every software that runs on Arch will run on every other distribution. Looking at official repositories, it has less than Debian.
Package managers are subjective and "best" is something only a retard would use.

t. Arch user who doesn't talk in memes and myths
>>
>>59684324
I'm pretty sure btrfs was developed by SUSE
>>
>>59684481
You're intentionally missing the point. The point is that the repos + AUR = quickest and easiest access to the more packages than any other distribution.
>>
>>59684469
>professional-tier of a hobbyist operating system
kek
>>
>>59684518

Other distributions have similar systems. "Your" AUR is nothing special.
>>
>>59684481
Debian has a lot of split packages, that doesn't mean it has more software.
Arch has the AUR.

So far I've been able to find any even remotely popular program in the arch repos or aur. This is not the case with debian. I've never seen any software in the debian repos that wasn't available for arch.
>>
>>59684469
>Professional tier distro
Just like "enterprise" this is a meaningless buzzword, unless your employer demands that you use a corporate backed distro like you mentioned. IMO, Ubuntu is pretty shitty at this point, as it comes preloaded with Amazon crapware and possibly spies on you (the "canonical botnet".) Fedora is a decent distro, but it is literally just a testing ground for Red Hat Enterprise Linux, and they tend to push new software on users before it's ready to use (systemd, pulse audio, most importantly Wayland, which absolutely fucks compatibility with most applications and nvidia cards). OpenSUSE tumbleweed is a distro, easily the best of the ones you mentioned. Unlike most rolling distros it's developed by professionals instead of frequently incompetent hobbyists, so things rarely break, but you still have up to date software. Realistically, any distro can work for any purpose, and the differences between them honestly aren't that big. Software can be packaged for any distro, even if it only claims to support Ubuntu. That said, most professional software for Linux is offered as DEB RPM files, which will work on Debian, Ubuntu/mint and OpenSUSE/Fedora respectively.
>>
>>59684547
me me big boi
>>
File: p.png (464KB, 3999x3801px) Image search: [Google]
p.png
464KB, 3999x3801px
>>59684529
>Other distributions have similar systems. "Your" AUR is nothing special.
>similar

Sure. Go ahead and expand on that anon.
>>
>>59681512
pls help
>>
>>59684469
>>59684547
>>
>>59684579

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+ppas
https://build.opensuse.org/
https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Overlay
>>
>>59681512
>Okay SO I need microsoft word
Why. I don't believe you.

>I had a look at wine and it looks like the compatibility is shit.
Wrong. It has an approved playonlinux install script.

>I was thinking the simplest way to have it run is via a virtual machine. Apparently, I can make it run seamlessly through the dock of ubuntu. Is this correct?
Yeah

>I was also considering using the Microsoft Word web app but it seems limited in its functionality.
Like what?
>>
>>59684613

>https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+ppas
Are you joking? Searching for PPAs and adding them and all of the shit involved is nothing like AUR.
https://build.opensuse.org/

>https://build.opensuse.org/
nope

>https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/
You have to know that you're full of shit

>https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Overlay
no

This is all garbage and nothing like the AUR. None of this makes things as simple as
yaort package-name

Cease your bullshit
>>
>>59684645

>yaourt
There are most likely shitty wrapper scripts that accomplish the same on those distributions.

Only idiots use yaourt or those helpers or the AUR extensively. Arch has plenty of software in the official repositories. For evertything else sane people fill out, yes fill out, the simple PKGBUILDs and maintain their own. Only retards install hundreds of packages from the AUR which replace or conflict with some core packages and then come complaining when it doesn't work.
>>
>>59684547
You can disable the amazon spyware and even remove the components if you're that tinfoil
I ran openSUSE KDE for sometime but is was the stable version, felt very polished and stable, not sure if tumbleweed isn't too bleeding edge for my taste
Thanks for the feedback, I'm inclined to choose openSUSE
>>
>>59684669
Opensuse is good. Literally the best integration with KDE of any distro bar KDE neon.
>>
>>59684693

>best integration
What does that even mean? Nothing, that's what it means. It's a retarded myth perpetudated by buzzphrase spouting retards like yourself.
>>
hi guys i've used windows all my life. what are the advantages to linux?
>>
File: .png (129KB, 633x352px) Image search: [Google]
.png
129KB, 633x352px
>>59684656
>>yaourt
>There are most likely shitty wrapper scripts that accomplish the same on those distributions.
>There are most likely
Now you've gone and admitted that you don't know what you're talking about. Stop posting for a while buddy.

>Only idiots use yaourt or those helpers or the AUR extensively.
>packages conflicting with core packages
I willl present this without comment since we've already established that you're talking out of your ass. I won't bother with this.

Go find another thread to pretend like you know what you're talking about in
>>
>>59684752

>packages conflicting
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/freetype2-infinality/
>Conflicts: freetype2

There were countless threads on the forums where people were running into problems because of that. I also tried to help a guy on here solve a problem, but turns out he installed some gtk version from the AUR which replaced the one in the official repositories and caused all of his bugs. He didn't even know what he did, because he just used yaourt and thought it was the package manager.
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-04-01_04-14-55.png (90KB, 1039x613px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-04-01_04-14-55.png
90KB, 1039x613px
>>59684730
>What does that even mean? Nothing, that's what it means.
No. It means that they patch software to make them work better with KDE. Some of the patches are so good that they are in the AUR.

>it's a retarded myth perpetudated by buzzphrase spouting retards like yourself.
See the above comment where I explain what it means.

What is up with people talking like they're hot shit even though they don't know what the fuck they're talking about?
>>
>>59684799

You can get their patches elsewhere, as you've proven.
The actual useful things probably get added upstream and everyone else has them. Post other significant things which the Plasma on openSUSE's repository has that other Plasma packages (with the same version) don't.
>>
>>59684484
according to wikipedia:
>initially developed by Oracle
>now developed by Facebook, Fujitsu, Fusion-IO, Intel, Linux Foundation, Netgear, Oracle Corporation, Red Hat, STRATO AG, and SUSE
>>
I know this might be sacrilege, but:

Does anyone know of a list of MEGA links to some turn of the millennium games?

Many thanks!
>>
>>59684620

1. I need MS Word because in my work documents and sent back and first using MS Word proprietary file formats and tracking. The formatting does not display correcting in OpenOffice, I've tried.

2. I consulted the wine DB website and the list of errors would make it unusable, e.g. can't export PDF (essential for my work). Unsure if I am missing something here.

3. Would it be a hassle to have the files accessible in both Linux and the virtual machine running MS Word?

4. No track changes, incomplete table formatting options, incomplete list options. I'm unsure if the paid Office 365 version is any different to the free version. I have only used the free version.
>>
File: 40.png (197KB, 855x577px) Image search: [Google]
40.png
197KB, 855x577px
>>59684791
And? I think you're referring to when a harfbuzz update broke infinality in January. That effected me and that's a risk you take ANY TIME you install packages from outside a distros official repos.

>There were countless threads on the forums
hmm

>yaourt and thought it was the package manager
oh my

Kek. Here's the thing. Remember when this was about the AUR and how other distributions had the same capabilities. Seems like we've determined that they don't. Funny how the goalpost has moved isn't it?
>>
>>59684967

This was and is still about the AUR in general and how people praise it as something unique and amazing.
See >>59684312
>Arch has the best software availability
and >>59684518
>AUR = quickest and easiest access to the more packages
>>
help pls
when I try to get an extension from gnome extensions in firefox, it says "Attempt to postMessage on disconnected port". I have the firefox extension installed.
>>
stay off /tech/, faglets
>>
>>59685071
sudo apt install chrome-gnome-shell
>>
>>59679308
Just use networkmanager
>>
HURD 1.0
HURD 1.0
HURD 1.0
>>
>>59685487
never?
>>
File: 1489628347650.jpg (53KB, 620x521px) Image search: [Google]
1489628347650.jpg
53KB, 620x521px
>>59685498
>2015-10-31: GNU Hurd 0.7
>2016-05-18: GNU Hurd 0.8
>2016-12-18: GNU Hurd 0.9
soon
>>
>>59684873
Is LaTeX not an option for your line of work?
>>
>>59685536
computer illiterate here, does hurd allow running linux programs
>>
>>59685536
There's a fresh bill in congress banning open source and free software.
t. ISP Lobbyist
>>
Why does pacman always redownload all the package databases even if I synchronise it only seconds apart?

On all my other arch setups it wouldn't do this?
>>
>>59685575
lazy route in development
>>
>>59685597
Wait, so pacman doesn't upgrade itself and I'm using an older version on my other rig?

That would explain things. I thought it was a config file issue but couldn't find anything in pacman.conf.
>>
I've got a windows install on a hdd and I want to install linux to a new ssd. Is there anything I need to do to make sure I don't break my windows install? Should I unplug the windows hdd while I install linux?
>>
>>59685562
no, it's not linux.
However you can compile most of the free software available for gnu/linux, BSDs, similar for hurd (unless they are specialized programs, designed for those operating systems).
You can go to packages.debian.org search for any software you use, select its sid package and see if it was compiled for hurd yet.
>>
>>59685794
thanks, so programs compiled for linux don't work on bsd too?
>>
>>59685805
bsd had support for linux binaries (or at least one of the bsd flavours) but I heard they removed this support because fucking nobody used it and it was hard to maintain.
>>
>>59685805
They work when you get the source and compile them for the specific platform/kernel.
>>
how do I make xfce look nice? I want to make it look pretty much exactly like gnome with dash to dock. (not using gnome because it lags horribly for me)
>>
>>59685788
Leave it in or grub won't find it and you'll be unable to boot into it.
>>
>>59685833
Try mate if you fancy the old GNOME look.

in XFCE you might want a dark theme and two panels.
>>
>>59685856
Alright, thanks.
>>
On arch, I can adjust my screen brightness via command line like this.

xrandr --output LVDS-0 --brightness 0.8

My function key combinations for brightness settings are recognized and I can see a brightness slider increase and decrease if I press them, but the brightness itself is unaffected.

How can I fix this without having to write my own script and change what the key combinations do?
>>
>Systemd-free's repos are down.

Is gentoo worth it?
>>
File: 1482185525051.gif (76KB, 393x488px) Image search: [Google]
1482185525051.gif
76KB, 393x488px
Hey /g/, what's the best lightweight and user-friendly distro for daily use?
>>
>>59685970
suicide linux
>>
>>59685970
Source Mage GNU/Linux
>>
I'm debating between Ubuntu MATE and Xubuntu. Is any of the two faster/more stable than the other?
>>
>>59685955
Only if you'd go source-based for any other reasons.

If not, just use devuan.
>>
>>59685999
>>59685955
>le systemd is bad meme
???
>>
>>59686036
>nobody ever mentioned anything from the systemd argument but I must shitpost

pack your shit and hit the road >>>/b/ is that way
>>
>>59686048
Who are you quoting?
>>
https://defectivebydesign.org/blog/fourteen_days_dialup_and_save_web_drm
>>
>>59686036
>huge amounts of complex stuff in PID 1
>bloated code that replaces and absorbs other programs for no reasons
>potential security flaws due to its massive size and complexity that only its developers can truly understand
before you defend any of this, consider that it's all totally unnecessary. There is absolutely no benefit to using systemd instead of runit or openrc for most use cases.
>>
I have a problem with xubuntu. When i log in the panels and everything else is not showing up, only the desktop wallpaper. I tried using some commands found online like xfdesktop &, but when I use them the output is "Cannot open display". I had the same problem that i fixed with just a command but I can't find it again
>>
I was considering getting a new dell xps for linux, probably going to end up with gentoo. The 13 is only dual core, and the 15 is the same price, with quad core and an nvidia 1050 as well as the intel 530. I I got the 15 I'd definitely disable the nvidia chip entirely, because bumblebee is still shit and I'd rather not use proprietary drivers- is this going to cause problems? Do these laptops work well on linux?
>>
Whats the best minimal but also feature rich tiling wm? Jumped from i3-gaps to bspwm and was wondering if theres something even nicer.
>>
hello friends, can someone tell how could i get only duration of video with ffmpeg?
My closest try is
ffmpeg -i 1457754914539.webm  2>&1 | grep "Duration"

but this way i get
  Duration: 00:00:43.18, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 728 kb/s

And what would i like is like just output to be "43"
is it possible?
>>
>>59686548
what features exactly are you looking for? honestly, the only good tiling wms are i3, bspwm and dwm (much more minimalist than the others).
>>
>>59686575
http://stackoverflow.com/a/22243834
>>
Will Arch run on this? I'd want to try it just for curiosity.

>Pentium 4 2.8GHz Northwood core
>1GB RAM
>GF4 MX440 64MB
>DVD-RW
>80GB WDC HDD
>3com NIC
>Deer DR-A300ATX 300W
>>
>>59686650
Arch should run fine, because it boots to a command line. provided it's 64 bit, that is (arch recently dropped support for i686). In terms of GUI, anything beyond a minimal wm like i3 will lag horribly.
>>
>>59686671
Source
>>
>>59686624
>http://stackoverflow.com/a/22243834
<3
>>
>>59686671
>anything beyond a minimal wm like i3 will lag horribly.
Even openbox?

If needed I have a spare Radeon HD3450 512MB AGP.
>>
>>59686699
source for what?
>>59686709
openbox is probably fine
>>
>>59686650
>Deer DR-A300ATX 300W
throw that shit away, I'm not even kidding. it was proven to be dangerous by authorities in my country. I had one in a PC I got for free and it started burning in use.
>>
>>59686735
Last time I checked 32 bits was still supported.
>>
>>59686736
I got it with bulging capacitors but I replaced all of them luckily. If you want,I can provide a picture of its insides.
>>
>>59686754
Somewhat- it's officially on the way out. Thanks, lazy arch developers.
https://www.archlinux.org/news/phasing-out-i686-support/
The decision means that February ISO will be the last that allows to install 32 bit Arch Linux. The next 9 months are deprecation period, during which i686 will be still receiving upgraded packages. Starting from November 2017, packaging and repository tools will no longer require that from maintainers, effectively making i686 unsupported.
>>
>>59686794
Lack of manpower doesn't imply laziness
>>
>>59686794
You're right. That's sad. I will reinstall OpenBSD on my server.
>>
>>59681411
pre-systemd
>>
>>59686814
gentoo has far fewer users and developers, yet supports far more architectures. Honestly, the arch devs have to do barely any work:
>init is provided by systemd upstream
>no need to make a real installer
>barely any testing/modification occurs on packages before they are released
>literally one architecture supported
>official repos are quite small, relying the community (AUR) for actually getting an impressive number of packages
>>
>>59681181
This. This is my first time seeing someone else recommend both Firefox Nightly and qutebrowser. Both are based. Learn qutebrowser for when Firefox goes to shit in a bit.
>>
>>59686886
Gentoo doesn't provide binary pkgs, you're making a poor comparison. Either way, it's volunteer work, and whatever they do in their spare time is their business not mine
>>
>>59682415
apt search blah
or
pacman -Ss blah

To search packages
>>
>>59684469
If you're not in a hurry, check out NixOS. It's awesome but also different enough that you will have to learn a few new things. If you're in a hurry, Arch is pretty solid. Most distros are good, though. Just avoids derivatives mostly such as Ubuntu, Mint, Manjaro, etc.
>>
>>59684835
There's a GNU/Linux games thread on /t/, try there.
>>
I am looking for a convertible / tablet either 7" or 10" with preferably an x86 CPU on which I could install GNU/Linux easily. I tried to google stuff like "Best tablet for Linux" and found a lot of Ubuntu discussion but no real answer besides the rather outdated "older version" of the Nexus 7 being well supported (has an ARM CPU and isn't sold anymore anyway)

Anyone has some kind of experience or a suggestion?
>>
>>59687204
arm isn't too hard. you'll just need to learn about uboot, .dtb filesystem trees , making uzImage kernels ,ect.
>>
File: 1475116063427.jpg (90KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
1475116063427.jpg
90KB, 960x960px
what is the best package manager?
>>
>>59686941
Don't listen to this retard Ubuntu isn't a derivative and works great.

Pacman is terrible and Arch has no installer, I've never even heard of NixOS.
>>
>>59687462
>Ubuntu isn't a derivative
lol, what is it then, retard?
>>
>>59687434
technically best; portage.
most useful IMO apt or rpm due to huge package base
>>
>>59687462
woah, how did you make that your tripcode says be awesome? look pretty neat
>>
>>59687475
Ubuntu has its own repositories and is independently developed, Manjaro and Mint do not, they are just copied.
>>
What email clients does /fglt/ use? Mutt looks very good.
>>
>>59687510
>not using the command line to telnet on the IMAP server
>>
>>59687523
>telnet
i shiggy
>>
>>59687502
Manjaro has its own repos too, yet it doesn't make it an idependent distro. Ubuntu is literally frozen Debian Sid with random stuff added (like every other derivative distro).
>>
>>59687502
Manjaro and Mint both have their own repos. That does not mean that they're not derivatives. Ubuntu is not independently developed.
>>
>>59687553
>>59687475
>>59687562
friendly reminder that replying to tripfags is asking them to stay
>>
>>59687523
Telnet is insecure and mutt is also command line.
>>
>>59687572
>telnet is insecure
says the grown up man visiting an anime image board
>>
File: guix_lq.webm (3MB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
guix_lq.webm
3MB, 1024x576px
>>59687434
GNU guix
>>
What is the best terminal password manager? I want keepassx, only with the terminal.
>>
>>59687666
pass
>>
File: gentoo1.png (104KB, 370x492px) Image search: [Google]
gentoo1.png
104KB, 370x492px
Now all jokes aside.
Is it worth installing on a x220? Been running ubuntu for ages. Thinking about trying something new.
>>
File: 3.3_million_rustles.jpg (24KB, 300x286px) Image search: [Google]
3.3_million_rustles.jpg
24KB, 300x286px
I swear I get baited every time I read a guide to do simple shit in Linux. I have a debian based VPS and I'm trying to install steamcmd.
>sudo apt-get install steamcmd
>E: Unable to locate package steamcmd
That's fine, I'm probably missing some repositories. Found a guide
>steamcmd is part of the "non-free" repo and you need to append it to your sources like so
>deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ jessie main non-free contrib
>deb http://security.debian.org/ jessie/updates main non-free contrib
Pretty elementary.
??
>sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
>0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
hm...
Right, so at some point I guess steamcmd is no longer part of any debian repo's? So I have to manually install it now?
Why am I constantly fighting with repositories and package mangagers in linux? I promise I'm not a fucking retard, but Linux makes me feel like one.
>>
>>59687553
>Ubuntu is literally frozen Debian Sid
No it isn't lol, the packages aren't interchangeable at all.
>>
>>59687791
https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=steamcmd
A simple google/ddg/startpage search could've answered your question, but I guess that's too hard for you
>>
>>59686886
>literally one architecture supported
technically ARM is supported to some extent
>>
>>59687797
filtered
>>
>>59687725

I know x220 is the first gen i series intels and as a result get a pretty decent performance upgrade but gentoo on an x200 for me was *painful*, hours of compiling just to get running
>>
>>59687912
>filters to not give attention to tripfag
>replies to tripfag, giving him attention
???
>>
>>59687841
ok, so then why won't it pick it up?
>>
>>59687943
you're running debian stable. steamcmd is in the testing repo.
>>
Redpill me on filesystems and partitioning.

In particular for a live-boot USB "install", is it worth making several partitions for the system or do I just stick everything in one? What filesystem should I use - is it worth going for anything other than ext4?

And while we're at it, is there anything better than exFAT for something that'll be shared between OSes?
>>
>>59688184
f2fs for flash disks anon
>>
Regarding Grsecurity RBAC policies are there any shared restrictive subject rules with a focus on typical desktop applications ? Preferably recent/maintained (following rolling release).

Or just stick to gradm learning mode & personal cleanup ?
>>
File: a.webm (277KB, 628x422px) Image search: [Google]
a.webm
277KB, 628x422px
>>59681741
function play { mpv "$(locate -Aei $@ | head -n1)" }
>>
>>59688393
what does -A do?
>>
>>59688221
Sounds good. So exFAT for windows-compatible partition, and f2fs for the linux part.

Last thing I'm wondering about, is there any use in splitting the linux system into different partitions? I know it's best practice for organisation with a normal install, but I'm not sure if it's really necessary for a live-boot system.
>>
>>59685947
xrandrs' "brightness" doesn't actually change your backlight brightness, it adjusts the brightness of the picture itself

--brightness brightness
Multiply the gamma values on the crtc currently attached to the
output to specified floating value. Useful for overly bright or
overly dim outputs. However, this is a software only modifica‐
tion, if your hardware has support to actually change the
brightness, you will probably prefer to use xbacklight.
>>
>>59688458
       -A, --all
Print only entries that match all PATTERNs instead of requiring
only one of them to match.

makes it so it must match everything i write, not just any one of them
>>
>>59688495
Wew, looks my locate is outdated, anyway, handy function!
>>
>>59688393
>function
>no ()
>no ;
is this fish?
>>
>>59688556
zsh, i forget it's not the same in bash

here's for bash;
function play() { mpv "$(locate -Aei $@ | head -n1)"; }
>>
>>59688393
saved
>>
>>59688603
>>59688623
>>59688393
I'd use a different name than "play", so it doesn't overwrite sox(1) "play" (when you ever consider to install this really amazing utility).
>>
>>59688603
neat!
>>
>>59688651
i've used sox before, but nowadays i use ffmpeg for everything i used sox for

perhaps "mplay"? (multiple meaning, "media play", short "mplayer", which mpv is based on, and even "m" like "mlocate")
>>
>>59688393
>>59688603
No need for | head -n1, use -l 1.
>>
>>59688690
That's just perfect.
>>
>>59688699
ah, so it does
>>
Hello everyone
My name is Anon and I am a recent GNU/Linux convert :)
>>
I've recently switched to Debian KDE Stable as my main OS, as I'm playing games less and trying to get work down now. Everything is nice after switching to proprietary drivers and setting my compositor to OpenGl 3.0, but some basic functionalities seem to be broken. I had to move the .desktop file for KMix to /etc/xdg/autostart from where it was in /use/share/... in order to have sound after a fresh boot. The shutdown and logout buttons don't work, I have to use the CLI. What's up with Debian? It's supposed to be stable.
>>
>>59688733
Hi Anon
>>
>>59688808
>KDE
>stable
there's yer problem
>>
>>59686794
i don't think it will affect too much
if enough people still want it, someone else will do it
look at arch linux arm (port of arch to multiple arm platforms), pretty sure that isn't official
not to mention things like the aur and abs will keep working as usual, this only really means they won't be building 32bit binaries anymore
>>
>>59688836
Awe, mang. It's so pretty dough. I can tinker with it, I suppose. I've only had minor issues... For people less willing to learn about the system and troubleshoot errors, I can see why GNU/Linux is off-putting.
>>
>>59689089
you should try KDE Neon m8
Older versions of KDE5 suck ass. KDE Neon is based on Ubongo LTS, but with the latest and greatest KDE stuff
>>
File: pepper.png (190KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
pepper.png
190KB, 640x640px
>>59688733
Welcome ~. Here is your pepper and your stallmans starter-pack https://rms.sexy/img/
>>
Your recommended PDF reader?
DE is Xfce4 if it matters.
>>
>>59689323
google chrome
>>
>>59689346
kys yourself
>>
>>59689323
evince?
idk that's the default one in Ubuntu here and it seems to work ok
>>
>>59689346
cuck
>>59689323
zathura
>>
>>59689323
less
>>
>>59689323
I use mupdf because of tiling wm autism
>>
Just got a free HP Mini 1104. What should I install on it? I was thinking arch running i3wm but feel free to suggest otherwise.
>>
>>59689323
xpdf
>>
How usable was GNU/Linux back in the day?

I often see people talking about the "dark ages", and seeing as I'm a relatively new user (3 years) I've always had things werk pretty well.
>>
>>59689445
Source Mage GNU/Linux
>>
>>59689468
I'm using GNU/Linux since Debian Etch, which dates back to 2007, and a lot happened in ease-of-use since then. But, I'm sure this was already after those "dark ages"
>>
>>59689468
I remember I used Mandrake 10.1 (or 11.1? I don't remember exactly) in 2004,on a Dell Optiplex GX110. While XP ran quite slow,Mandrake was pretty fast. Nice times. I might burn new copies of the discs since it's a lot of time since I lost the previous set of discs.
>>
>>59678557
I have a mac at work, at home I have linux and mac. Honestly I like both but I'm way more familiar with mac because I use it 8 hours a day.
>>
File: 1470867313206.png (254KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1470867313206.png
254KB, 1280x1024px
>>59689468
i first tried it in 2004, with SimplyMEPIS
ran great, looked great, and everything i plugged into it just werked, even my older (2000) parallel printer was detected and worked ootb

i didn't use linux for much back then, my first real use for it was when i found out about wifi cracking, i used backtrack 1 to get my neighbours wifi key
i use it on my laptop before then just for web browsing and IM, though i didn't know about package managers so nothing got updated or installed

only seriously started moving to linux around 2009
>>
>>59689697
mac is a device, linux a kernel; the systems you're referring to are called GNU/Linux and macOS
>>
>>59689735
Thanks, I was being lazy
>>
this is my favorite subreddit
>>
>>59686941
What's wrong with manjaro?
>>
File: 1461051194879.png (436KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1461051194879.png
436KB, 800x800px
>>59689735
>>
>>59689772
subchannel*
>>
>>59689834
>IT'S FOSS
FLOSS*
>>
>>59689801
it's too easy to install
>>
What is a good windows manager to make GNU/Linux look like windows 95 or 98?
>>
>>59689896
openbox
>>
>>59689896
xfce and this theme: https://github.com/grassmunk/Chicago95
>>
>>59689735
whats the point behind this meme? Does the technically incorrect common term trigger you or is there an actual goal you are accomplishing?

I never hear anyone in the real world (professionals) sperg out or even say GNU/Linux instead of just linux.
>>
File: a.png (29KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
a.png
29KB, 640x480px
i've been making a reasonably accurate icewm theme
>>
>>59690007
I believe the goal is to get people to be more technical, or accurate as Stallman would have everyone be. I think if you told him you use GNU, but didn't specify the kernel he might consider that you're using another kernel type.
>>
>>59690007
linux spreads a different message and different ideals than gnu/linux.
>>
File: 49394i203409234.jpg (36KB, 634x480px) Image search: [Google]
49394i203409234.jpg
36KB, 634x480px
I replaced iptables with firewalld, AMA
>>
>>59690473
whats wrong with ufw?
setup and forget
>>
>>59690473
>replaced
You don't replace iptables, you just use different frontends to it.
>>
>>59690632
I heard it's good, but I wanted to use something I was already familiar with
>>59690651
didn't know that, thanks.
>>
Why can't anybody make a DE that actually looks and feels like Windows 95/98/2000? IceWM doesn't count because it's ass to use compared to the Windows equivalents.
>>
>>59690775
do it yourself if all the rest are that bad anon
>>
>>59690797
No, I'm going to complain about what people offer for free on their free time just to please the community
>>
>>59690775
TDE?
>>
>>59690775
see >>59689936
>>
been reading about gpl-like licenses for stuff that isn't source code, do you think this is a good license for artwork? https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/
>>
File: 1481678644487.png (24KB, 657x527px) Image search: [Google]
1481678644487.png
24KB, 657x527px
>ThinkPad 11e Intel chipset
>try to install Ubuntu/Xubuntu/Lubuntu
>installer crashes
>try to install vanilla Debian
>installer crashes
>try to install Mint
>installer crashes
>try to install Arch
>lmao
>install Fedora 25
>everything just werks

welp so after several days worth of fuckery I'm ackshully settling in quite nicely
>>
File: 1483064671973.png (971KB, 1600x1081px) Image search: [Google]
1483064671973.png
971KB, 1600x1081px
So just reinstalled arch yesterday, and for some reason grub-mkconfig is finding my Windows system but not updating it in GRUB. (It's also finding it as Windows 10, which it had been doing before I reinstalled arch. It's actually Windows 7, but would still boot either way.)

Any idea what's up?
>>
-> >>59691621
Thread posts: 311
Thread images: 40

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.