[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

New 52 Wonder Woman Volume 4: War

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 141
Thread images: 107

This comic is actually pretty good.

Volume 1 - Blood:
>>92640372

Volume 2 - Guts:
>>92666724

Volume 3 - Iron:
>>92692482
>>
>>
Remember that "WTF" covers month? God, what a retarded idea.
>>
Seriously, DC was doing so badly back then it's no wonder (heh) this run got so much acclaim. It's decent enough on its own, but compared to some of the shit they were putting out back then? It's a fucking masterpiece.
>>
>>
Anyone else find these scenes with the gods just ZzZzZzZzZzZ

At least until Strife shows up
>>
>>
That is one fat babby
>>
What the fuck are you smoking, Orion?
>>
>>
>>
>>
>gets a blade from giant crabs
What is this, a video game?
>>
>>
You know, she really didn't need to kiss him for what she's about to do next
>>
This is dumb
>>
Also, this is a pretty dreadful Orion, but that goes without saying
>>
>>
>>
>>92717629
>fifth panel
John Constantine in da house.
>>
>>
>>
>>
I'm probably like the only person who's not too crazy about the gods' designs. 2Vertigo4me
>>
>>92717898
>>92717924
>>92717967

In the SUPERMAN comic Scott Lobdell used this moment to imply the idea that Wonder Woman was entertaining notions of cheating on Superman. KEK.
>>
>>
>>92718212
What a time for DC Comics
>>
>>
>>92718212

Not that she was entertaining the idea, THAT SHE CHEATED ON HIM. He made it sound romantic.
>>
>>
When you really think about it, Chiang drew a shockingly small amount of issues in this run
>>
>>
>>
>>92718397
>mfw I have no face
>>
>>
>>92718437
>I have no mouth and I must scream
>>
>>
>>
>>
Pro-tip: don't write decompressed fight scenes into your comic if your artist is boring as shit
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>92717589
The gods are always the worst part of any given Wondy run. Their hillbilly antics are figuratively older than dirt, so having to put up with their Jerry Springer whoreshit when we could be focusing on actual superhero stuff is annoying as fuck. Their drama and machinactions tend to bring a fair amount of clutter to the story as well. None of this is helped by them being inherently unlikeable assholes, being the Greek gods and all.

There's also the eternal plothole they bring to the series. That being the question of why the fuck the Amazons still worship them, even though they're always aping the fuck out and making their lives shit. Given the way deities work in the DCU, it's entirely possible that the Amazons are the only thing keeping the Olympians alive. You'd think the inbred hicks would figure this out at some point, and stop treating their only followers like crap. But nope. They just keep being arrogant retards.

Olympus needs to be nuked.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
I'm sure this will end well
>>
>>
One of my problems with the First Born (other than him being generic as fuck) is that he's not really drawn in a particularly imposing way. I mean sure, he's tall and dresses in black and shit, but I never feel particularly intimidated by him. I'm reminded of that shot of the Phantom Menace where Darth Maul looks like a fucking manlet next to the Neimoidians
>>
>>
>>
>YOU THINK
>YOU CAN THREATEN
>MY MOTHER
>>
Also, running into the main bad guy in an alley is boring. Azzarello is a good writer, but he tends to make rookie mistakes for some reason plenty of times
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>92719074
Thing is though, Darth Maul was still somewhat effective due to Ray Park having a fair bit of charisma. You could tell that this guy was a legit threat who did not fuck around, and his minimal dialogue and formal body language indicated that a nigga was all business.

First Born is just boring, and since this is a comic book, doesn't have the luxury of a decent actor who could save him with a good performance. He doesn't even feel like a proper main villain, more of a bonus boss from a DLC pack.
>>
>>
>Sexual
Who the fuck is this now
>>
>>92718786
>None of this is helped by them being inherently unlikeable assholes, being the Greek gods and all.
hate this meme opinion
>>
>>92719342
I think the problem is how he's framed. There are tricks to make certain characters more imposing, like use of shadows, or framing them with a low-angle shot (probably THE most effective way) or introducing them in a really cinematic way ala Ellis... Azzarello does none of this, like I said, he even appears in front of our protagonists when they bump into him in an alley! That's terrible, there is zero build up to what should be one of the more pivotal moments in the run
>>
>>92719423
Nooo idea of what you're talking about
>>
>>92719530
Have you read the Hellblazer Ennis issues by chance?
First of the Fallen seems to kind of be like this, When he was first introduced, he was a tall man, but hidden with shadows and angles that made you immediately realize that John was in deep shit.
When Ennis took over, he turned into this gigantic macho man with huge muscles, and it was such a design change that it just had to be a parody, but it was the 1990s, so I'm not sure,
>>
I liked how Alan Davis did a fight between two people with super-strength in The Nail, like constant shockwaves, a true clash of the titans
>>
>>92719609
Whoops, Ennis did create him, and introduced him.
He went from this https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/53/FirstoftheFallen.jpg
To this:
https://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/14/148518/4069511-first+fallen.jpg
In a few issues
>>
>>92719609
Hellblazer is in my to-read pile, still haven't gotten around to it.
>>
>>
>>92719679
That first image is an excellent example of what I mean, even without being some hulking "badass" like the First Born, this character manages to remain intimidating
>>
>>
>>92719617
Or like any Tradd Moore thing.
>>
>>
I never liked Lennox anyway
>>
>>92719769
See the thing is other characters are portrayed as intimidating in this run. You can't say War isn't shown as intimidating, even if it's ultimately hollow. So you maybe have to see the choice to depict the First Born without that as intentional.

There's a lot to like, mock about him even in this comic? The helicopter sword fight with sharks for instance. It's hard to get authorial intent entirely but look at Azzarello's previous work too. He has a bunch of Sin City style badasses in 100 Bullets and generally he tries to make them intimidating more cleverly than FB here.
>>
>>
>>92719896
I have to say, as terrible as the New Gods were used in general with the New 52, I always liked the BOOM panels.
>>
N52 New Gods are shit! SHIT!
>>
>>92719913
BOOM panels are like Kirby dots, it's hard to go wrong. It's really fun from a constructive PoV too because it's so loud it literally overwhelms the panel.
>>
Cool cover
>>
>>92719866
But why would you sabotage your own main villain like that, seems weird
>>
Even though I love Chiang, he's kind of a bad fit for the New Gods, they come across more like iGods
>>
>>
>>
>>92719984
It does and maybe they really just bought First Born completely unironically or there were other factors, but neither Azzarello or Chiang is like bad enough to repeatedly accidentally make the kinda mistake in depiction you're talking about.

I can think of a few trying-to-be-clever arguments for why the First Born might be put across unimpressively by design but none I have real faith in.
>>
>>
Making New Genesis "generic future city" should be a crime
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
Worst Izaya
>>
>>
>>
>>92720367
quality fucking dialogue here huh
>>
>>
>>92720409
At least Azz ain't doing that annoying thing when he writes down people's accents. God, that's obnoxious
>>
>>92718786
I'm glad you'll never be in charge of writing WW comics (or any comics, for that matter).
>>
>>
>>92718667
Pic not related, I guess.
>>
>>92720516
You never know, Anon!
>>
>>92720544
Really? You think that shit looks fun? Whatever...
>>
>>
Orion's a big guy. Has he ever met Bane?
>>
>>
>>92720644
Baneposting is the Anti-Life Meme
>>
Reminder that Orion's wife was thirsty for Batman and Sinestro's cock.
>>
>>
>>92720716
Meh. Burnett's a hack riding on the coattails of the DCAU and they weren't married in the New 52
>>
>>
>>92720716
>>92720762

That's nothing.

Reminder that in Nu52 version of Earth-2 THIS version of Orion was supposed to be that Wonder Woman's baby's daddy.

But when James Robinson left the EARTH 2 book the new writer, i think Tom Taylor, instead revealed E2 Lyta was actually the rape baby of Steppenwolf.
>>
Neat
>>
>>92720828
Earth 2 was such an unbelievable trash fire, but I honestly think it started the wrong way, even with Robinson. I mean, why make the world so fucked up, with the fire pits and apokorats and shit? Why not just make an Ultimate version of the old Earth-Two instead?
>>
>>92720910

Because everything was about Darkseid at the start of Nu52.
>>
>>
>>92720828

Scott said Robinson liked the idea of Orion and Wonder Woman, thanks to this book, and knowing DC would never pair Orion with Wonder Woman in the man universe decided to give him his happy end in E2.
>>
>>92720942
And we all know how well that turned out
>>
>the man destined to kill Darkseid falls to some edgy chump
>>
>>92720966

Them Taylor came in and went "NOPE, STEPPENWOLF RAPED THE SHIT OF WONDER WOMAN BEFORE KILLING HER... OR DID HE?" They were was an implication that E2 WW had a willing affair with Steppenwolf, but that was from Jurgens.
>>
This Super Saiyan shit is weird, dunno if I like it
>>
>>
Weird random thought: most of the JL founders in the New 52 had lines in their costumes that could "light up": WW when she takes off her bracelets, Superman when he uses heat vision, Flash when he runs, Green Lantern when he uses his ring... the designs of the N52 were weirdly toyetic like that
>>
He's gonna kick your Azz
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>you will make an interesting god of war
So interesting literally no one will use that idea ever in anything again

Futures End doesn't count, fuck you
>>
>>92721248
>>92721286
>>92721318

And nothing came out of Wonder Woman becoming the Goddess of War other than relationship drama with Superman and her crying about having too many roles to perform.
>>
Fin

See y'all tomorrow
>>
>>92721389

Hey, in Futures End Superman transforms Wonder Woman from a Goddess of War into a Goddess of Peace with his boyish charm.
>>
>>92721420
See you anon. Hope your doggo's OK.
>>
bumpo
>>
>>92721420
Thank you.
>>
>>92720942
Also the Daemonites. Remember them? And then it just kind of fizzled out in Superman's book?
>>
>>92720800
>>92720836
I'm pretty sure this is one of the coolest things a DC incarnation of Ares has done in like decades, possibly ever.
>>
>>92721389
>>92721399
Wasn't there a couple of interesting things like Wonder Woman knowing every soldier by name?

One of the things I feel like happened is Azzarello tried to leave things open-ended for future writers, like why did the Amazons have such a shitty culture and what are they gonna do now? How is Zeke gonna be raised? What kind of War God will Diana be?

I don't think he knew that DC would be dumb enough to give his book to the Finches.
>>
>>92725889

>like why did the Amazons have such a shitty culture and what are they gonna do now?

What a shitty gift for other writers to tangle with, though.
>>
>>92725889

i do not miss david finch drawing her like she's 16 years old
Thread posts: 141
Thread images: 107

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.