[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dreaming entire lifetimes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 4

File: image.jpg (112KB, 1000x1430px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
112KB, 1000x1430px
Am I the only one that's dreamed entire lifetimes multiple times before? Dreams that feel like they last 50-70 years that are so vivid and realistic that you wake up and just feel an overwhelming sense of sadness that it wasn't real. It's only happened about 3 times now, but they've all been sort of recent and are enough to shake someone to the core. What do you think causes this?
>>
Wish I could have something like that anon. That'd really push me out of my comfort zone without any risk of harm and generally would make me more relentless and risk taking I guess.
>>
>>19595496
ive had dreams were ive felt like ive been living that life in that dream for a long time. like it feels like there is a world with deep rooted history around me, and i have family and friends. and then when I wake up I realize my dream was only like a minute long but i still have deep strong emotional feeling for that world and the people in it.
>>
>>19595496
Past lives
>>
Like that one Star Trek

Seems it would be torture to have a life, family, kids, etc. then get ripped away by consciousness.
>>
>>19595615
Pretty much no different from any belief system that touts reincarnation.
>>
>>19595496
Severe mental retardation
>>
File: pic_unrelated.jpg (89KB, 960x642px) Image search: [Google]
pic_unrelated.jpg
89KB, 960x642px
>>19595496
Fake memories. To make you fit into the dream scene better, your subconscious often gives you a fake set of memories. This does not only happen during the beginning of a dream, you can "skip" entire passages of it, and the memories serve as a substitute for a real time experience so that the dream is fluid.

To better understand this concept, try to think of the last time you went from home to work/school. For me personally, it takes about 20 minutes. But when I replay it in my memory, it takes no more than 10 seconds. If I try really hard, i can do it in a second. Still, it doesn't feel like I was teleporting through space and time, it feels like it was a complete experience. If I woke from a 10 second long dream with the same set of memories, I propably would believe it lasted for the whole 20 minutes. Now imagine if the dream lasted an hour in real time.

In your case, it seems kind of extreme. But since you might be exaggerating a bit to make it seem more interesting, it's possible. If, for some reason, your brain spent the whole dream creating fake memories, I believe it can feel like years worth of experience.
>>
>>19595496
never fucking happened. people who had an experience like this, do you have actual active lives or no? im not trying to be an asshole, but most I had in terms of dreams were like 'real life interaction' dreams, rather normal and maybe even boring things, like me talking to someone I know/vaguely know IRL, or me talking to some old friends and so on.

usually such dreams appear during times where my life is basically nothing and I have no events at all, minimal social interaction and so on. so im thinking maybe this entire lifetimes dreams thing comes from the next step of being socially starved and isolated.
>>
>>19595496
That was a fucking manga dude.
>>
>>19595633
Not OP but interested on this too
>try to think of the last time you went from home to work/school
Never thought about it that way before but I have noticed a fake memories pattern, mostly because in my dreams there is always something that would be "odd" in a real life scenario, but something in my "memories" explains to me why it isn't odd there.
Human mind is so fucking amazing.
I wonder if we will get to the point of controlling our dreams perfecttly and use them as some sort of VR replacement.
>>
>>19595615
better than fucking nothing

fucking nothing irl versus fucking nothing irl + an experience of a dream where you had something
>>
>>19595719
Well, I'm not presenting it as a complete truth. But it seems like the most reasonable explanation to me. The passage of time during a dream was already tested on numerous occasions (by Stephen Laberge for example) and it didn't seem any different from real time even for multiple subjects. I can explain how it was done if anyone is interested.

>I wonder if we will get to the point of controlling our dreams perfecttly and use them as some sort of VR replacement.
You might be interested in lucid dreaming. I can't explain it in a single post, so I recommend you to google it and check out dreamviews dot com forum if you are curious. I can also post links to my old lucid dreaming threads, although I don't believe there is very much useful information for beginners in them.
>>
>>19595633
You have several sets of memories. You can confirm for yourself that they don't feel the same, and then you'll stop getting that "like it was a complete experience" illusion in your memories. I learned this by fabricating tertiary memory structures in my brain through trance-reading.
>>
>>19595496
dude u might not realize this but all those dreams that you dreamt were just as real as the current moment. In some far away future, you will wake up from this life and this breath will have become nothing but a distant dream.
>>
>>19595496
wait, is this a dream right now?
>>
>>19595496
There was this guy on reddit who was knocked out by the local chad and he lived for 10 years in his unconcious dream state where he married and had a child. Read for yourself, that's a cool story and a stunning example of how our minds screws with us.

https://amp.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/oc7rc/have_you_ever_felt_a_deep_personal_connection_to/c3g4ot3
>>
>>19595717
I'm sorry for all the pain you feel. I hope one day your pain will be as insignificant as your misplaced anger.
>>
>>19595496
you're simply lying. it did not feel as if those dreams lasted 50-70 years. they just felt much longer than a normal dream. you should have an endless wealth of details if you're telling the truth
>>
>>19595719
you can control your dreams retard
its called lucid dreamijng
>>
>>19595496
Yes, and quite often. Sometimes I wonder if they're real.
>>
>>19595717
I'm 37, have a great career that keeps me busy, great family, all of that. Honestly I can't really complain about anything other than I'm getting older. But I will still have these times where I have a super vivid dream, and I know all the people in it and have for a long time, never remember names but just goddamn the feeling I get. It's just raw emotion. I should also note that I dream in color and that I have synesthesia. Might have something to do with it.
>>
>>19596247
I would be more worried if somebody told me they don't dream in color.
>>
>>19595590
probably this
>>
>>19596279
>propably
How the hell can someone find it propable?
>>
OP here

>>19595500
You're probably lucky you don't, it's cripplingly depressive and I wake up sobbing every time it's happened.

>>19595717
Well, I'm anything but socially starved. Sometimes I get exhausted of my social life. At the time when 2 of these happened, I was living with 25 other guys in a frat house where we have parties of 400+ people at least once a week.

>>19595839
This is an actual fear I've started having since because I even more frequently get false awakenings

>>19596195
Just like all dreams, the memories start to fade once you stop thinking about them as much, but since it's so jarring to wake up to, I still have a wealth of information. In the lives I lived I could give you names and discriptions of my wife, ex girlfriends, children, grandchildren, bosses, places I've lived, jobs I've had, odd encounters, injuries, the time I bought a sailboat as a part of a midlife crisis, down to the feeling of getting splinters from building a birdhouse with my kids in the garage when they were 12 and 8 etc.
I could go to write a memoir of at least the last life I lived in a dream, but ultimately not going to go through all that effort just to prove it to some random dude on the Internet, sorry.
>>
>>19596312
>I was living with 25 other guys in a frat house where we have parties of 400+ people at least once a week.
cOoL
>>
>>19596315
Genuinely not trying to brag. Just illustrating that I'm not a shut in
>>
>>19596316
geniunely not being snarky, just really cool.
>>
>>19595496

I had a dream where I walked around a city(old, like Bruges), for 12 hours. The person I was with, who later drove(dude with blonde hair I've never seen before) said it.

>I can't believe we just walked for 12- hours.

Him and another guy. I remembered the entire walk. I've also become adept at remembering my dreams.
>>
>>19596289
?
>>
>>19596343
It was the choice of the word "probable" that baffled me. I would say highly unlikely or nearly impossible. The only thing that is probable here is that OP is making shit up.
>>
>>19596385
you can remember your past lives too if you want
just meditate enough
>>
>>19595496
I've had a few where I would wake up from a coma specifically and realize they were a dream a month in, then just wake up. Have been pretty sad about it
>>
>>19596333
I've dreamed about hitting the ground, and being in between life and death. I've had a great life. Been to death and back. Fell in love a few times. Got my heart torn out. Had a kid. Not a shut in. Kek. But when I dream, I think I may be traveling. There is very little in any of my dreams that is illogical.
>>
>>19596385
a lot of these people are probably larping or misremembered the dream
>>19595633 read what this guy said
>>
>>19596415
Easier if you can label anything. Right Anon? Ffs.
>>
>>19596423
Funniest thing is people who think they know it all, when we all have access to all of human knowledge. Doesn't mean you've earned any wisdom.
>>
>>19596423
what?
>>
>>19596415
Yeah, it would explain why some dreams feel like hours, sometimes even days. But 50-70 years sounds really far fetched.
>>
>>19596437
I don't deny that someone can dream "a lifetime" but I assume that these lifetime dreams are more like films where a lot of time is skipped. I'm also assuming a lot of these people were neither lucid or aware they were dreaming and they didn't question their reality.
>>
>>19595496
I have dreams where they all take place in the same world and time, but I'm a different character in each dream.
>>
>>19595496
I get this sometimes too and when I was up I always miss the dream. The next day always makes me question what's real. I always get sad I can never go back to that specific dream world
>>
>>19596587
I'm stuck, always returning to the same one.
>>
File: mfw part 17.jpg (556KB, 830x630px) Image search: [Google]
mfw part 17.jpg
556KB, 830x630px
>>19595496
We live inside a dream.
>>
>>19595496
Must be great to gain 50-70 years of accumulated life knowledge in one night and then wake up being ahead of the curve. Oh wait...
>>
I had similar experience last year
Do you take any drugs? (Medical included)
>>
>>19596312
you cannot recall any of those things because you are blatantly lying. you do not have 70 years of memories from a life that you didn't live. because that makes absolutely no sense. you had a dream that felt unusually long, that is all. it's not terribly uncommon, it's something that i have experienced many times. why you want to seek attention in this way i have no idea. i imagine it's some kind of emotional problem
>>
>>19595496
>"What happens to the man who wakes up from an endless dream...?"
>>
I've had these dreams since I can remember. dreams have always been a big part of my life. Though they've fucked me up in many ways as well.
cherish it anon.
one day they'll drive you insane.

Working on comiling all of my dream journals and shite. Gonna turn it into a book or something.
>>
YES OP! This has happened to me! (only a couple of times) but it is SUPER hard to wake up and readjust! I go around in a fog for at least a few hours, still lost in dream land. I remember recently I had a dream where I was the daughter of a semi-popular victorian writer. Dreams like this are wild, and very exhausting.
>>
>>19596553

Nice bro
>>
>>19595496
This pretty accurately describes most of my salvia sessions.
>>
>>19598381
Holy shit op you need to read this manga by junji ito
You absolutely need to.
>>
https://youtu.be/szzVlQ653as?t=24s
>>
>>19595719
Well dreaming seems to hold some sort of biological function so to mess around with them might not be the greatest idea.
>>
>>19600270
Well, it's usually to keep your consciousness occupied so that the other parts of your being can focus on regeneration, sorting out your daily experiences etc. As for the content of the dreams, apart for being random at times and build from simple associations, they also serve as some kind of a psychological healing ground. Messing with one or two REM cycles per night shouldn't be that much of a problem though.
>>
>>19597926
Well, he already told us he is a burned out normie.
>>
>>19595496
not entire lifetimes no but dreams that seem to go on for extended periods of time yes. 4 dreams so far.
One lasted for 3 days, the next for 8 months, one for 2 years and the ladt one for 5 years.
I was so fucking paranoid and disoriented when I woke up took me a solid 15 minutes to remember my life and myself its terrifying waking up and not knowing where or who you are.
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.