[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Paranormal creatures and europe?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3

File: Europe_A.jpg (364KB, 800x706px) Image search: [Google]
Europe_A.jpg
364KB, 800x706px
So yeah, first off, I was never on this board EVER. I was simply listening to some creepy Stories with all these "Wendigo" "Goatman" and all that shit. now, I don't believe in that stuff. A lot of people actually seem to believe in that. But since I like to dabble in some occasional fantasy, I thought, maybe this thought can entertain you.

So nearly all of these stories are playing in North and South amerika and some are in Asia.
Why are there (nearly) none of those in europe? Could it be, that maybe the european people, since they have like a shitton more of history (middle ages, bronze age, barbarians, romans, greeks, french, germans), have mainly ridden europe of all these things?

I mean the notion, that there were actual armies and knights and such shit storming into the woods and ruins to exterminate that, is kind of exciting.

What do you think? Why is there nearly no paranormal creature shit in europe? I myself live in germany and I have never heard about malicious monsters in the woods or ruins. Just some stereotypical ghosts... maybe the norwegians with their funny elves?
>>
Skandinavians still have their giant forest trolls they occasionally talk about.

The only thing that central europeans have are those mystical creatures called "Fabelwesen" like the Wolpertinger.

I'm german aswell and never heard of big creatures roaming the woods or something similar. Only small creatures that you almost never see or ghost stories.
>>
>>19590265
Yeah dude.
we heard of them, that they existed like WAAAYY back. like HUNDREDS of years. But no sightings or mentionings in this century.
>>
>>19590244
Im from Australia and now that i think back i cant say i have ever heard of a European mythological creature beside ancient tales from history. Only thing that comes to ming is the that nessy thing in England
>>
>>19590272

ok I thought that you guys up there still talk about them existing now. My mistake then.

I guess another reason is that Europe is way too densely populated to have a forest or nature reserve large enough to house a creature like Bigfoot. Maybe in central regions of Siberia there are similar stories but we'd need some russian guys to confirm that.
>>
>>19590284
That's why I thought, that, just to entertain the notion, that they have (nearly) all been hunted down by humans a couple a centuries ago.
>>
austrian here, the basilisk is a major mythical creature in vienna: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basilisk

in carintha everyone knows about the lindwurm https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lindworm
>>
>>19590290
I watched a video recently which (as crackpot as it sounds fuck it im on /x/) states that special ops had shot and killed a large red head giant while they were on operations in the middle east desert. Its the only thing i have seen of a recent killing of a creature
>>
>>19590307
yeah, I know... but we have not heard of those things ACTUALLY existing in like... the last century. That's my thing.
We heard that they existed once, but not that they still exist today.
>>
>>19590244
I live in Greece and there is little to nothing in paranormal terms, except for what the church teaches. People are are fairly religious and the church has a lot of power. No monsters, no cryptids, not even local ghost stories. They put a lot of belief in the "evil eye" though, but the church accepts this as canon. There's a banishing rite which I believe is a series of prayers, but it's passed down among the women of the family or something and I'm not allowed to know it.
>>
The Tramuntana mountain range is way too quiet for a mountain range.
Just sayin
>>
>>19590244
literally all spooky things are from europe anon. skellingtons vampries werewolves, all of it
>>
>>19590321
todays paranormal creatures that snatch children and women, than you have just to look out for """"refugees"""".
>>
>>19590632
/pol/ was a mistake.
>>
File: skogsdemonen.jpg (138KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
skogsdemonen.jpg
138KB, 1024x768px
Northern Sweden, this place is filled with Vitter, Oknytt and pic related, the worst creature out there.
>>
>>19590244

There are a lot, just not as famous as the american ones, i can contribute with folkloric fuckery from my country (Spain)

We have "Ojancanu" a giant cyclops with yellowish skin and red beard/hair, his face is spherical and has just a shiny eye on the forehead, the eye is said to be surrounded by pale wrinkles and vivid blue dots. He eats adult humans and has a female counterpart called "Ojancana" that eats also children and basically everything.

We have the "Gojas" they're basically female water spirits that lure kids into the water of rivers and drown them to eat them.

There are also "Marugas" some tiny aquatic fuckers that went into the vagina of some women when they where bathing in the river and made them pregnant.

Then there's the "Fameliar", these are like the homunculus egg experiment that was popular in youtube. You have to pick a certain flower that only grows under an old bridge in Santa Eularia and seal it inside a black tinted ampoule, then it grows a fucked up tiny kid inside with a fucked up mouth and fucked up long, thin arms.

The "Lamias" too, half woman half bird or fish, they're depicted as good girls that helped with constructing bridges and cromlechs (stone circles), they had some valuable possession that they treasured and if you touched it or stole it they would slaughter you.

And of course a lot of the typical european dragon/fairy/gnome variants. There's a lot more but these are the ones i've heard of locally and from other parts of the country.
>>
I live in England and I only ever hear about ghosts and hauntings (which there seems to be a tonne of)

I guess it makes sense, you can't hunt and kill a ghost
>>
>>19590605
Damn dude don't spook me, I lived there.
>>
>>19590803
You tell me anon.
I still live there.
>>
>>19590817
Maybe it's just the wind blows away all the bird nests from the trees and that's why the forests are so silent... I guess.

But yes, I was surprised when I left the place and realized that forests are supposed to be not as silent as these.
>>
>>19590830
Black vultures+Cats=Weird Silence
That's my theory
>>
>>19590595
my girlfriend is a greek expat and the women in her family including her do a lot of ritual stuff like the evil eye and other paranormal things
>>
>i'm german
>where are the stories, there are no stories in Germany

Yes, there are, it's the stories of the Grimm Bros.
>>
>what are fairies, selkies, sprites, nymphs, pixies
>>
>>19590244
Theres plenty in Ireland/Scotland
(theres a thread up atm about an anon in ireland)

Kelpie, Horse sized water creature, tries to lure you to the waters edge and pulls you in

Dobhar Cú (Dour Hound) Ate a woman in western Ireland about 2-300 years ago, has been sighted since (thats what the other thread is about)

the Sidh (pronounced "She") are primordial humans living in caves around Ireland, decended from "the old Gods" who fled when Ivaders landed

The leprechaun is only around the black sea, nothing to do with modern day Ireland, its like a giant rat with thumbs and really bloody annoying (angry rat/bushbaby)
>>
>>19590244
There is a common creature in Spain. It appears as a human-like thing, all in black, roaming around towns and rural areas. It has been depicted as a ghostly appearance, looks like they wear a black robe, but they have been seen with other clothes. I have hear encounters with them from the police, a girl, and hickers in the Tedie (a volcan in the Canary Islands showing they are beyond the peninsula).
>>
Transylvanian witch here, we have a lot of otherwordly entities as well as cryptids. There is a lot of uninhabited forests and wilds here, but many monsters dwell around human settlements.
>>
In my part of Croatia there are tales of fairies and werewolves that's it.but in region Istra there's apparently a lot of spooky shit. I think 1st mention of a vampire was some dude Jure from Istra
>>
jews
>>
>>19590658
Skogsdemoner kan suga
>>
>>19592903
kys, every fucking thread?
>>
File: 0.jpg (69KB, 666x465px) Image search: [Google]
0.jpg
69KB, 666x465px
>>19592902
>>
And what about Gargoyles ? Are they animated statues or living creatures ?
>>
literally all of Grimms Fairy Tales are based in Europe
>>
>>19590244
In tyrol there is something called a "Taztelwurm"
It's the only thing I can think about in this thread.
>>
https://youtu.be/5D-9X3ooFvo
>>
I'm Dutch and from the province of Zeeland which is very rural/empty compared to the other parts of the Netherlands. There's also a lot of water around us (hence the name Zeeland) I've got a 300-page book regarding myths and the paranormal in this area. Most creatures are of the wind and water kind. Like nekkers (pull you in the water and drown you) Osseart (Spirit which just fucks your shit up if you don't sacrifice your first caught fish to him if you go fishing) There are also stories about werewolves and other shapeshifters. Merfolk and wisps which try to lure you to the swamp in order to drown you.

Now in my experience there are still paranormal things around here especially in the old forests and in the drowned lands (areas reclaimed by the sea) there's also an old iron-age sacrificial pit near my home which has this heavy and looming feeling whenever you are near.
>>
>>19595183
We have something similar here in the north, Bäckahästen and Näcken, lure people to the water and drown them. (same germanic folklore i guess)

And some river spirit i can't remember the name of, but you have to return the first fish you get, unharmed and thank the spirit for the fish you will get or you will be cursed!
I have to admit that i do this fish thingy every time i fish. My grandfather showed me how to not piss 'em off (the spirits in the woods). Does it work? You bet your ass it works.
>>
The Finns used to do this crazy thing called Björnskalletallar (bear skull tree), after a successful hunt they would remove the head from the bear and nail it to a tree, i think the record was something around 100 bear skulls in the same tree.
I think they did it to honor the bear or something, and it probably dates back to the Bear cult era, the last ones were found during the late 19th century, mostly in Finland but also in Sweden.
I tried to find a pic but no luck.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.