[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Changes in maps/geography

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5

File: memoryworld.png (31KB, 766x518px) Image search: [Google]
memoryworld.png
31KB, 766x518px
Does anyone else remember the world map looking something like this? Here are some major differences I can point out from memory.

>New Zealand further north than Australia
>South America being aligned with North America/not as far east into the Atlantic
>Japan being deeper into the pacific, nowhere near Russia
>Baja california not existing/being smaller than it is today
>>
File: maps.png (71KB, 1604x570px) Image search: [Google]
maps.png
71KB, 1604x570px
Side by side, here's the actual world map (left) compared to the world map I changed to fit memory (right).
>>
File: 1504753337181.jpg (112KB, 1087x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1504753337181.jpg
112KB, 1087x1080px
>>19588536
this thread
>>
>>19588565
berenstain universe shill detected
>>
File: sternface.jpg (124KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
sternface.jpg
124KB, 640x360px
>can't remember maps right
>spoopy /x/ shit
>>
Dude I live in New Zealand. Can confirm this is where its where it always has been
>>
this is really stupid
real dumb
>>
>>19588536

Lol Mexico here, no, fug you. The californias have always existed, so, GIVE US BACK OUR CALIFORNIAS !
>>
>>19588536
Some maps are printed with the woblewomp disproproportionate to the phase shift of the terraclefters

it especially makes things at the tops and bottoms look bigger or mishapen
>>
>>19588536
>Getting Japan, South America correct
>Not correcting Sri Lanka or Madagascar
>New Zealand was out, not that north.
At least as I remember.
>>
>>19588553
Ok Madagascar and GB are correct.
>What about human anatomy?
>>
Even at a glance, your map looks retarded.
>>
>>19589466
>>19589477
dubs prove that there is some truth to it

checkmate
>>
>>19588536
the map is bent and squished around so it fits on a flat picture, if you look at a globe (or google earth) australia and the US are about the same size, and africa is goddamn HUGE
>>
>>19588536
Not every map is the same. Same account for curvature andsome don't; some are to scale, some aren't because they're anglocentric or whatever.

That and according to >>19588553 you're just a bit dim.
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-09-14-11-30-27.png (140KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-09-14-11-30-27.png
140KB, 720x1280px
No, it's just some shitty map on travel agency site
>>
>>19588536
Anyone else remember NZ being a muslim country? Like they were responsible for the Aussie terror attack where there were hostages right? I mean there's the whole sheep joke etc. etc.
>>
Different map projections exist because it's impossible to map out a round object perfectly rectangle. Most common mistake is how enormous Greenland is drawn while in through it's a similar size to Saudi-Arabia.

Tldr: OP has seen different map projections during his life and combined them in to one in his memory.
>>
>>19590194
Here's a few projections:

http://geoawesomeness.com/5-tools-will-let-master-map-projections/
>>
>>19590178
in fact yes I do, it was with lord of the rings that it changed into a Westernish place
>>
Fucking burgers are so shit at geography they blame the NWO for not being able to remember where countries are.
>>
>>19588782
Berenstein skinwalker detected
>>
>>19588668
B-but Mandela effect!
>>
>>19588536
>Does anyone else remember the world map looking something like this?
No.
>>
>>19588536
I have lived in NZ all my life, and it's always been south east of AU. I remember someone making a joke as a kid that we're down under 'down under.'
>>
>>19588536
>american "education"
>>
>>19588536
This is fucking stupid
>>
Google maps made it to adjust the file size
>>
Daily reminder that OP is on the same level as the rest of /x/.
>>
>>19588536
Nah dude, you are just fucking stupid.
>>
>>19591252
shill detected
>>
>>19588553
thats fucking dumb where the fuck is TURKEY?
>>
>>19594109
umad roach
>>
>>19588536
>M-Mondolo EFFECT
>>
>can't remember some geographical details right
>recheck an actual map
>some things are wrong compared to how you remembered them
>wow dude this is some crazy paranormal shit the entire world changed positions while I wasn't looking
Are you a certified retard?
>>
>>19590194

Surprised Greenland is that large. Saudi Arabia is fucking gigantic. Like the size of western europe. It's the 12th largest country
>>
>>19594109

Turkey is in the oven... Next to the jews
>>
>>19588536
you're clearly fucking retarded and are mistaking new calidonia for new zealand. MUNDULA AFFECT
>>
>>19588536
This Mandela effect crap is the worst meme I remember including dogeposting.
It's just a way for idiots to deny that they have a shit memory and instead assume it's the rest of the world that must be wrong.
>>
>>19588553
Pretty sure the British Isles are massively oversized in both of those. I remember reading that the British Isles were enlarged upon maps due to their relative importance when naval travel, and thus more global sea maps were being created.

However since then I've seen all maps portray the British Isles as larger than the Iberian peninsula and seemingly of a similar (if not bigger) size as a France and Germany. Even satellite pictures seem to indicate this (although as they are puzzled together piece by piece I guess that doesn't necessarily mean much). The size of the British isles has been the main thing that has confused me; I fully acknowledge that in regards to all other potential differences I was probably misremembering.
>>
>>19595994
The common Mercator projection distorts landmass near the poles.

https://thetruesize.com
>>
>>19588536

i remember your world, this is mandingo effect. dont forget your timeline
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.