[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

A (Terrible?) Mistake

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: My Shame.png (7KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
My Shame.png
7KB, 500x500px
So, I'll just come out and admit that I was unironically using pic related within my lexicon of symbols. Now, I'm using a paradigm similar to Chaos Magicks, so I'm curious as to the effects of having a belief whiplash. I've replaced the instances of the symbol that I can find/remember, but is there anything else /x/ would recommend?
Has anyone else made a similar mistake?
>>
>>19577413
The energy will linger if you don't clean it out. If you aren't careful with the symbols you replaced it with, the energy can corrupt and imprint itself on the sigil, overwriting the intent you gave it. It's not just "hurr durr my meaning means the most of all the meanings," when you activate a sigil, the magic starts to form. It's not just going to disappear because you changed the words. You have to make sure to clean ALL the sigils you use BEFORE you use them.
>>
>>19577445
To what end will the prior symbol corrupt them? Are you implying that the meme in the original pic will somehow alter the flow of the energies. This isn't an instance of using the wrong sigil, but using a non-sigil.
I appreciate the answer, but you are aware the rune of loss is just a loss CADbortion reduction, right?
>>
>>19577462
>using a non-sigil
Oh no no. Never think that. There's no such thing as a non-sigil. Either the letter "A" is cleaned of all connotations and intents, or it guides the very evolution of the language in which it is embedded.

But that's not even what we're dealing with here. We're dealing with a known quantity, a specific entity. A meme. You probably think the symbol is just a symbol, but it's not. It corresponds to frames in the original comic. It is a direct, symbolic interpretation of the comic. It might easily have been made as a sigil to cast a spell, and the spell thus cast has met its energy needs and gone its own way, leaving a "clean" meme in tow. We don't know the intent of the original author beyond what we can feel from the sigil itself. It is and always has been a sigil, in both usage as a meme and design as a representative symbol of a specific comic.

That's not the end it. Or rather, that's the end of it.

The meme is just a placeholder. There are so many dimensions of analysis I don't know where to start. Let's start with the meme, though. Just pretend it doesn't have direct intent to become a sigil and that it was """"only"""" meant to be a meme. (And note how "meant to be" implies a magical binding in its own right.) Why is the meme so popular? Why did it resonate? How did it manage to ensnare the interests of some many to become a widely known and understood meme? Why does it even have a name? Literally, "loss.jpg". Was it just embedded with meme magic to make itself viral? Was that the original spell, and now that it's become a meme, the spell has completed itself?

No.

The original comic is heavy with emotion. Heavier than most similar comics, let alone comics in that series, ever were or might become. It stands out, alone and aside, from the background of its general context. It *means* something, something inherent. Something primal.

The loss of a child through miscarriage.

It is more than a meme, it is a referent, a word. A name
>>
File: Apophysis-160420-101.png (88KB, 570x422px) Image search: [Google]
Apophysis-160420-101.png
88KB, 570x422px
>>19577413
How do you "use" them?
>>
>>19577495
A named symbol dripping with emotion from ages passed. It is, altogether, the loss of a child, the regret of what could have been, the feeling of having something inside of you die, both literally and metaphorically. The modern representation of a narrative told time and time again.

It is a meme because of the meaning it holds. It is a sigil because of the design and usage the meme requires. Someone will probably end up asking what the symbol means later on in this thread, if these initial posts slide far enough. It's that kind of meme.

It holds more power, collectively and identifiably, than probably the entire body of CAD comics itself. It was a meme before it was a comic, and it was a comic before it was a sigil. Do not mistake memetic resonance for some trite quantity; there is an aeon of stories behind the symbol.
>>
>>19577495
>>19577518
But that connotation is what I had originally invoked it for. However, my affinity with it has been tainted with the reveal of the memetic origins. So wouldn't the inclusion of an analogous sigil, more fitting for my paradigm, simply be a lateral translation?
I was worried that it would lose potency or meaning because of it's origin and my associations with it. I was worried about putting glitter in the cauldron. If you're both saying that the opposite is the case, then I am fine with this.
>>19577513
My grimoire, some experimental combinations and thought experiments, a few wards.
>>
>>19577533
>simply be a lateral translation?
Oh, well I don't know then. It depends on how much you've used your system and how that part interacts with the rest of your system. So long as you're aware of the power/scale of the symbols you use, you'll have the understanding you need to ensure that the system comes out fully balanced. Switching out to a cleaner sigil would preserve the energy and help reaffirm your actual intent, so if there are traces of unintended energy that surface later on, focusing on the new sigil would be enough to perform an auto-purge.
>>
This has been the most helpful thread in a while. Thank you /x/ for being great.
>>19577565
Right? I've changed it slightly depending on context, and updated my runic lexicon in my Grimoire as a sort of pathing structure. A page was, unfortunately, needed to be devoted to the subversion of the original rune in favor of the new ones, depending on the situation. This, as well as the slightly better fit of the newer, more precise runes, should hopefully allay any additional issues.

I may go back to using loss here and there, but I would have to grow past the initial revelation lest my own dissonance unfocus the energies. Because of this, I would like to avoid an overt purging of the symbol, nor would I like to bend any of the works against the sign. It's a bit of a headache, but I feel like this is the best outcome all things considered. I just didn't want to overlook something (again) and be back to square one with more variables than before.
>>
>>19577605
>overt purging of the symbol
As long as you know what you originally meant, it doesn't matter. The fact that you were able to recognize that the symbol may not be fitting means you were sensitive enough to avoid an engineering catastrophe. Since the sigil was on target to begin with, you'd only need to purge trace amounts of excess energy, if that. It sounds like you haven't used the system much so there's not much in the way of making sure everything is calibrated properly. I was mostly concerned with just turning the system on with the old sigil still in place and being surprised when everything explodes. In some cases the magic has built up enough during the design process that a powerful sigil can wreak havoc on the design, effectively meaning that the sigil is still there even though the symbol has been replaced on the material side of things. Basically, once the magic starts flowing, "replacing a sigil" is never quite as easy as just changing the symbols.

>didn't want to overlook something (again) and be back to square one with more variables than before
Now you're thinking like a magician!
>>
>>19577667
I've always been fairly careful, with almost nothing but cleansing and cantrips with only a few projects here and there. At least, since my teens on I have been, my pre-teens were exceedingly reckless, but I was fortunate to not do anything permanent.

While I have everyone here, I've been tinkering with a self contained spiritual homunculi borrowing from ritualizations in different systems.

Very reduced blueprint is essentially the empowering of an intimate vessel created by my own hand, using various totemic and spiritualistic elements in creation with goetic and analogous systems for the actual empowering.

Anyone interested in the creation of Inaba?
>>
Is this a troll? Please take your memes somewhere else.
>>
File: tv45t345.jpg (191KB, 615x800px) Image search: [Google]
tv45t345.jpg
191KB, 615x800px
>>19577705
You may be new here friend.
>>
>>19577689
Already did it, deemed it a "particle thought waveform", fell in love with it, broke up, modeled her after my waifu.

Pb was never the same after that
>>
I mean, strange nobody said this yet but man is this loss?
>>
>>19577796
I don't like this picture.
>>
>>19578225
It is, that was the issue.
>>19578055
Sounds like what people use tulpas for
>>19579091
Why not?
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.