[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Okay, I’ve decided to come out and give the final word on the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: Polybius-Gameplay-Splash.jpg (108KB, 560x431px) Image search: [Google]
Polybius-Gameplay-Splash.jpg
108KB, 560x431px
Okay, I’ve decided to come out and give the final word on the “Polybius” arcade game. Yes, I am one of the two programmers for the game. I won’t give out my real name, so, just call me Bob. I knew of the Polybius myth for a while permeating the internet for over a decade, and wondered if I should come out and give the truth about the game, and figured hell, why not.

Yes, Polybius does exist, yes it was part of a CIA project, however the truth is a bit more mundane than you’d think.

See, I was a programmer at a company that I won’t mention that didn’t really do video games. We mostly did software for business and occasionally the government. Around the time arcades became a smash hit, we got a call from someone who went by the name “Mr. Smith”, who said they had an offer for us, but would not tell us anything about the project unless we signed a contract and an NDA. We did accept, though, because we were being offered an upfront payday of 5 million dollars, and another 5 when the project was finished. The company was struggling financially so, our boss at the time was quick to accept the offers.

So, about a week later, Mr. Smith came by our office with a briefcase, told us he was with the CIA, and told us about this experiment they wanted to conduct. You probably know by now what it is, an arcade game that could effect the mental condition of the person playing the game. We were sworn to secrecy, which obviously I’m breaking now but I’ve lived outside the US since 2004 so, like I give a shit.
>>
Anyway, the briefcase outlined everything the game had to do in order to properly make the effects they wanted, and it was all entirely through audio tones on specific frequencies. Truth be told the specifics are above my understanding but, whatever we went along with it. We thought it all was silly and wouldn’t work, but we didn’t care since we just got 5 million dollars and had another 5 on the way, and if the CIA was dumb enough to spend 10 million dollars on a stupid game then why not.

So we got to work on it right away. As for the game itself, it was literally just Tempest. Seriously, if you’ve played Tempest, you’ve played Polybius. I’ve seen the mockups of what the game might have been like, and believe me as far as gameplay goes, those are far more interesting than what Polybius actually was. What we were adding to it was the audio tones that the CIA hoped would induce the following effects; headaches, paranoia, fear, etc. They wanted to try and make anyone playing it subtly become more and more paranoid. That part of the story is true, though whether or not this had any connection to MKUltra that I’ve seen sites claim I don’t know.

But, here is where it gets a bit mundane. We did finish the game and created one cabinet for it for testing. Again I won’t say where, but we put it into some pizza parlor and let it stay there for about 2 weeks. CIA agents, the so called “Men in Black”, frequently visited the place as just regular civilians. Their observations were a big disappointment to them. The game did cause the occasional headache due to the frequency at which the sounds were often played at, but nothing else. No paranoia, no fear, no mind control, no nothing. Notta. The Polybius project was a failure, and wasn’t even that remarkable of a game.
>>
Luckily, we did still get the money, but that didn’t save the company because our boss at the time was frankly an idiot who had no idea how to handle money, and somehow even with 10 million more in the bank we still went under. You’d be amazed how often this happens.

So, what was the purpose of Polybius? Why go through all this trouble? It wasn’t to try and mind control the US populace. No, the plan was actually to sell it through a shell company named, you guessed it, Sinneslöschen, to the Soviet Union, because the CIA wanted to spread fear and paranoia among the populace. Yep, just like every brilliant idea during the Reagan years, it was all just to fight the commies, and they were willing to spend 10 million to get it done and keep us quiet about it. They even went through the trouble of making a fake east Germany company just so it would be easier to convince Soviets to buy the game.

So that’s the story about Polybius. A real game, that had a real sinister intent, but was ultimately a total failure and a waste of money, and probably the funniest thing I’ve ever done in my life.
>>
Neat to know, thanks OP.
>>
>>19563166
Still got the src code? Probably not but if you do, will you upload it?
>>
>>19563156
ITT: A larper that watched the new documentary put out by Ahoy and decided to incorporate it into his shit posting.
>>
>>19563187

No, it's long gone now. The company I worked for sold off all it's assets and we wiped everything before we sold the computers (We had a lot of source code for other programs our boss didn't want others to know, but it was all business stuff). If I'd known this game would become such a legend I'd have stored it or at least kept the hard drive. I'd like to think that there is still one of our computers out there, but I know it's not likely to be found. I can't even remember what the computer was other than it was likely an IBM that ran on an 8088 processor.
>>
>>19563212
Was about to post this.

https://youtu.be/_7X6Yeydgyg link for anyone who cares
>>
>>19563213
Damn. Thanks for the info tho, well told.
>>
Why would the US Gov't spend $10,000,000 on this?
>>
>>19563247

You'd be amazed at how committed the Government can get to stupid ideas like using an arcade game as a cold war weapon.
>>
>>19563156
You say the xboxahoy vid,didn't you?
>>
>>19563213
8088. Hard drive.

Yeah genius. Of fucking course.
>>
>>19563254
^This.
>>
>>19563212
>>19563221
kek, exactly what I was going to post
>>
I heard if you play ploybius you'll cry blood
>>
>mr smith who always has a magic briefcase
>men in black (because that's how you blend in as a secret agent)
>headaches
0/10 shit larp
Trying way too hard
>>
>>19563156
nice LARP
>>
>>19563402
Pretty much
>wiped computers
>>
It's obviously a LARP, but it was an enjoyable read. Certainly more realistic than most Polybius LARPs I've seen, especially since it took into account how incompetent the Government actually is.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.