[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /x/ think of this?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

" I still remember with pleasure how, nine years ago, I passed the discharge of a powerful induction-coil through my body to demonstrate before a scientific society the comparative harmlessness of very rapidly vibrating electric currents, and I can still recall the astonishment of my audience. I would now undertake, with much less apprehension that I had in that experiment, to transmit through my body with such currents the entire electrical energy of the dynamos now working at Niagara�forty or fifty thousand horse-power. I have produced electrical oscillations which were of such intensity that when circulating through my arms and chest they have melted wires which joined my hands, and still I felt no inconvenience" -Century Illustrated Magazine, June 1900, Nikola tesla

If you read some of the original works created by Nikola Tesla you'll see some pretty outrageous claims.

Among those outrageous claims He stated that he could pass the energy created by Niagara Fall's dynamos through his body and melt wires without any ' inconvenience'
>>
>>19531267
tesla was a slav therefore insane and ballsy like those guys doing pull ups on cranes

that's more likely than him being into the occult, although i wouldn't rule it out, he was weird
>>
>>19531279
He also believed in martians apparently, i am beginning to doubt all the hype about him developing super weapons and being exploited by the government and all that jazz.

His original writings are like a smack in the face.
>>
>>19531305
>MUH IT SOUNDS WEIRD SO IT MUST BE WRONG
All of Tesla's inventions that help humanity to this day sounded weird at the time.
>>
>>19531305
>His original writings are like a smack in the face.
You're an idiot.
>>
There have been documented cases of individuals having a much higher tolerance for electricity than the general population. It's plausible that Tesla was one of those types, considering how much he loved electricity and never complained about getting jolted.
>>
It's the current that kills you, not the voltage.

This is why he could stand in the middle of lightening and not be injured. It was high voltage but low current.

So, a person can expose themselves to 20,000 volts but if it's only micro current, there is no harm. But if they expose themselves to 10 volts but it's also 10 amps, they're dead.

It's nothing spooky going on, it's basic electricity.
>>
>>19531363
I am not saying it must be wrong, i am saying that the evidence that supports the ideas that he has done these amazing things dont really stand up up to scrutiny.

"While I have not, as yet, actually effected a transmission of a considerable amount of energy, such as would be of industrial importance, to a great distance by this new method, I have operated several model plants under exactly the same conditions which will exist in a large plant of this kind, and the practicability of the system is thoroughly demonstrated. The experiments have shown conclusively that, with two terminals maintained at an elevation of not more than thirty thousand to thirty-five thousand feet above sea-level, and with an electrical pressure of fifteen to twenty million volts, the energy of thousands of horse-power can be transmitted over distances which may be hundreds and, if necessary, thousands of miles. " -Century Illustrated Magazine, June 1900, nikola tesla.

He even admitted in his own works that he never pulled off that famous experiment. He claimed he would require Towers thousands of feet high and millions of volts of electricity.
>>
>>19531391
Keep in mind current also depends on the resistance of the material it passes through. Some humans have different resistance.
>>
>>19531395
>IT DIDN'T HAPPEN YET SO IT MUST BE WRONG
>>
>>19531402
I guess you missed the first part of what i said.
>>
You all can check out the primary sources if you want...pretty eye opening.

http://www.teslacollection.com
>>
>>19531398

Not exactly true, but close.

What is the real deciding factor is the total power (watts).

P = I * E

(where P=power in watts, I = current in amps, and E = voltage in volts)

the inverse relationship between voltage and current is tied to the total power. So, if you have 10 watts of power, even though you can change the proportion of volts and amps, you can't change the total wattage.

If I remember correctly, the resistance of the body would create a "potential difference" in the circuit, but wouldn't necessarily increase the current that flows through the body.

In the case of Tesla, he was simply using transformers to jack up the voltage to crazy levels. This would also drop the current to crazy low levels, while keeping the total wattage at the same.
>>
>>19531431
>In the case of Tesla, he was simply using transformers to jack up the voltage to crazy levels. This would also drop the current to crazy low levels, while keeping the total wattage at the same.
That's actually really smart.
>>
File: Transformer.jpg (3MB, 4032x2268px)
Transformer.jpg
3MB, 4032x2268px
>>19531477

It's also used every day in the electric industry.

When transmitting electricity along wires, you lose energy due to heat. The loss is based on the current and resistance, and is known as "I squared R" losses.

(since I can't do a square notation here, the heat loss would be = current * resistance * resistance)

This is one of the reasons why AC power won over DC as the standard method of power usage.

In DC power, the losses over the lines is so heavy, you would need to have a power station practically at every street corner.

With AC power, they generate the electricity, then send it through transformers before sending it down the wire. They jack up the voltage to crazy levels, which drops the current to a very low number, which eliminates most of the losses due to heat.. R remains the same, but because I is so low, the total I squared R losses are reduced.

That's why you will have the giant power lines crossing the countryside transmitting at 20,000 volts, then there are small transformers at or near the home to drop the voltage back down to the normal level.
>>
>>19531431

Different anon here.

Usually, a human body is rated with 1000 Ohms resistance when calculating "safe" currents, meaning, the threshold when you get from dancing to frying. 1KOhm is a value with some safety margin for good measure, but, when you get a jolt your resistance might be reduced drastically compared to when you take a measurement with a ohm meter because of cellular damage and cellular fluids breaking through.
Additionally, a "safe" current is rated 30 mA, that is 0,03A . Above this your heart might go into Herzkammerflimmern (...uh... beating aritmically really really fast) for AC or it locks up for DC.
So, if we got a 1KOhm and 0,03A that leaves us with a voltage of U = R x I -> 1000 x 0,03 = 30 Volt. Thats pretty low. Same goes for the wattage, which would be around 0,9 W.
But, i myself have gotten a jolt from around 150.000 Volt (powder coating system, elektrostatic charging system) with no harm, because that system actively limited the current at around 15µA.
So, nothing spooky with Teslas experiment if you know the background. Pretty balsy nonetheless, but, perfectly in charakter for this guy.
>>
>>19531505
(Power transmission over distance)

Uh. Not that way.

You loose less if the voltage is higher and thus the current drops. But back when there was no efficient method of transforming DC as there is today, so AC won for long distance transmission (transfomers, simple and cheap but only AC). With AC you have the additional problem of Impedance, frequency resistance. Because of this there are considerations to switch to a high-voltage DC transmission system for long distance to reduce the power loss through impedance. Atm its just a question of coughing up the cash for the additional hardware.
>>
Fun with science:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNZPSKLeBs8
>>
>>19531267
>>19531389

batteryman is super sonic , electronic

https://vimeo.com/54532857
>>
>>19531267
The dude had a brilliant mind there's no denying that, but he was pretty loopy and socially incapable, would have been a good fit for /x/
>>
>>19531267
he is the reason i understand why computers are Satan.
>>
>>19532006
And that reason is what?
>>
>>19532042
I am not sure I understand why I said that actually, oh well I guess you as I are completely trapped inside of the belly of this machine that is bleeding to death.

Look towards self
>>
https://youtu.be/vIEnRxDA4og
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.