[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Finally!!!

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

File: FRB121102_750.gif (334KB, 750x500px) Image search: [Google]
FRB121102_750.gif
334KB, 750x500px
An initiative to find signs of intelligent life in the universe, has detected 15 brief but powerful radio pulses emanating from a mysterious and repeating source – FRB 121102 – far across the universe.

Fast radio bursts are brief, bright pulses of radio emission from distant but largely unknown sources, and FRB 121102 is the only one known to repeat: more than 150 high-energy bursts have been observed coming from the object, which was identified last year as a dwarf galaxy about 3 billion light years from Earth.

Possible explanations for the repeating bursts range from outbursts from rotating neutron stars with extremely strong magnetic fields – so-called magnetars – to a more speculative idea: They are directed energy sources, powerful laser bursts used by extraterrestrial civilizations to power spacecraft, akin to Breakthrough Starshot’s plan to use powerful laser pulses to propel nano-spacecraft to Earth’s nearest star, Proxima Centauri.

“Bursts from this source have never been seen at this high a frequency,” said Andrew Siemion, director of the Berkeley SETI Research Center and of the Breakthrough Listen program.

http://news.berkeley.edu/2017/08/30/distant-galaxy-sends-out-15-high-energy-radio-bursts/
>>
I like how an actual rl ET thread gets ignored yet all the roleplay threads get constantly bumped.

I see now why /x/ is dying....
>>
t. bumpt
>>
Idk what to contribute but these kinda things interest me. Bumping
>>
>They are directed energy sources, powerful laser bursts used by extraterrestrial civilizations to power spacecraft

More likely to assume that the stars are the extraterrestrials themselves, but nooo, that's unbelievable.

Either, cool!
>>
>>19516329
3 billion year old et's
>>
wait if its comming to earth does that mean the ET ship went to earth in the pass or is comming to earth now?
>>
>>19516254
>>people paid to find something found something! yay!
We are alone.
>>
>>19516329
it's just a repeating signal, with a good chance of being a natural ocurrance. wouldn't be the first time this has happened. it would be cool if it were part of a space vehicle propulsion system but it's probably a neutron star.
>>
>>19516254

I know the roleplay threads seem to get more attention but part of that is because you start your thread saying "FINALLY!!!" and implying these are signs of life.

While the truth is that its only a POSSIBLE sign of life. Every single time we have come across anything similar to this we have been disappointed. Even math on paper does nothing but disappoint.

Drake's Equation and the Fermi Paradox all day and at the end of the day its entirely stupid to even hunt for ET's.

Why?

Because by most estimates the Earth isnt even an old planet. We shouldnt be an "old" race relative to other races in the universe.

We dont need to worry about radio because we can clearly see that space is not filled with debris and random sattelites, ships, etc.

Meaning that not only has nobody contacted us, nobody came to Earth 100,000 years ago to set up a base, nobody had a war in space that left debris hurtling anywhere near our planet or anywhere that we can observe.

Dude, I'm sorry. I wanted life in outer space too, I really did but it just does not exist for some reason.

Maybe its a conspiracy, maybe we're really alone, but whatever the reason we absolutely are not finding life off of this Earth.
>>
>>19516329
>I think i am Death the fourth horseman of apocalypse.
>Only text in first post of thread
>Pic unrelated OP pic
>200+ replies
>>
>>19516532
Yup. The current state of /x/.

Mind, it's the janitors who're to blame. If they allow everyone to just shitpost constantly then that's what we'll get.
>>
>>19516532
At least someone came to call out fucking roleplayers on their roleplay but then it led to shitflinging contest so I am of two minds about the whole thing.
>>
>>19516606
The only thing more cancerous that good old fashioned roleplay is contentless attempts at shitposting about it.
>>
>>19516655
Nah. I'd agree with you if roleplay would be awesome and semi-believable but that was kind of cancer that required being flamed to all hell and back. Plus, it was fun to watch.
>>
Any kind of deliberate interstellar comms would be pretty bright, too. What happens if you flash a radio signal back at it? Has anyone tried responding to brief unknown signal bursts we get from the sky? Maybe we should set up an autoresponder facility somewhere on earth with detection and reply equipment.
>>
>>19516719
>What happens if you flash a radio signal back at it? Has anyone tried responding to brief unknown signal bursts we get from the sky?

Most FRBs are not repeating, so it is hard to figure out where they are sourced from. This specific one has been sourced to a galaxy 3 billion light years away. Meaning if these are messages, they are 3 billion years old, and it would take 3 billion years for us to "respond" - more if you take the expansion of spacetime into account.
>>
Lets take into account that the Universe itself is currently estimated to be 14 Billion years old.

The oldest known planet is a 13 billion year old planet that we believe is likely a gas giant, but not all 13 billion year old planets have to be gas giants.

Earth is estimated to be 4.5 billion years old.

There are an estimated 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 planets in the universe.

Seriously.

So, in the billions of years for life to evolve on other planets NONE OF THEM reached a level of travel or technology that they decided to send ambassadors to Earth?

None of them decided to come to Earth and establish a process to utilize our very rare LIQUID WATER resource?

None of them had a large enough war that they left behind debris or 'space pollution' in any way that has ever been recorded?

Of all the alien races on all those planets none of them even decided to come take over primitive Earth 1,000 years ago with their superior technology and run a slave planet to get rich?

So there is no great "Good People" alien race out there that wants to visit and teach us clean energy and enlightenment.

There is no great "Evil People" alien race that wants to come steal our resources and enslave us.

There isnt even a criminal or jokester alien screwing with us by sending prank radio signals

Basically, all of these things are such a giant mountain of statistical anomaly that there are 2 conclusions.

1. We are alone.
2. We are the being lied to in some form.

The first option is of course again so statistically silly its hard to imagine.

The second option again suggests that Earth tech would have to be brilliant enough to shield all of us from every source of Alien activity and then we have to ask ourselves; How could we even try to stop a race with superior tech if they wanted to come here? How could we cover it up if they're more advanced than our governments and military?

Basic point is that BECAUSE there currently are no aliens; There NEVER WILL BE aliens.
>>
>>19516254
if it's real whoever sent it is long dead
>>
>>19516877
>very rare LIQUID WATER resource?
I'm sure anybody capable of interstellar travel can mix 2 hydrogen atoms with an oxygen one and make their own water.

Also, you write like a retard on a rant. wtf is wrong with you?
>>
>>19516877
>NONE OF THEM reached a level of travel or technology that they decided to send ambassadors to Earth?
Why?

> our very rare LIQUID WATER resource
H2O is abundant in the universe.

>left behind debris or 'space pollution' in any way that has ever been recorded?
Our farthest probe hasn't traveled far.

A species that has managed to travel faster than the speed of life(exploiting wormholes) wouldn't care about traveling outside their planet, because they could have invented their own virtual universe in which their 'reality' is perfect. They could become their own gods and create sentient AI extraterrestrial life.

We will definitely have something like this way before we ever decide to travel the galaxy.
>>
aliens that visit earth come transdimensionally, they dont actually travel through space like we do lol
>>
(44:4.10) The local universe broadcasts must also be modified for reception by the systems and the individual planets. The transmittal of these space reports is carefully supervised, and there is always a back registry to insure the proper reception of every report on every world in a given circuit. These broadcast directors are technically expert in the utilization of the currents of space for all purposes of intelligence
>>
>>19516877
I believe we are being lied to about Everything.
>>
>>19516877

You're assuming that IF aliens exist somewhere in the universe, THEN we would be mutually aware of each others' existence.

There's been intelligent civilization on earth for about 10,000 years. That's 0.0002% of the time earth has been around. Of that 10,000 year time frame, only the last 100 years have we had any technology that would make our planet noticeable to aliens (radio signals, satellites, etc). The radio signals from the first radio broadcast on earth are only 100 light years from earth. There are only 500 stars within 100 light years of earth. It's pretty well accepted that none of them have planets with advanced civilizations.

So there's no reason that any alien race would be visiting us to share their knowledge. They don't know we are here.

In all likelihood, by the time our radio signals reach any advanced civilizations, we will have annihilated ourselves through nuclear war, environmental crisis, or the rise of artificial intelligence. Even if we don't, the cosmos may annihilate us via asteroid, black hole, or supernova.

In any event, before Marconi's radio signals have traversed even 2% of the known universe, the sun will have begun to enter the red giant phase and will have certainly rendered life on earth extinct.

There is/was/will be intelligent alien civilizations. Many, most likely. But it's highly unlikely that any of them will ever know about one another.
>>
>>19516529
What part of infinity don't you get
>>
>>19516791
>Meaning if these are messages, they are 3 billion years old, and it would take 3 billion years for us to "respond" - more if you take the expansion of spacetime into account.
This is something that's so hard to fathom for me. I get it, but just the amount of time. Like you said, even if it was an intelligent message, 3 billion years old. Maybe a few other spacefaring species came and went during the time it took to get here, if we could ever decypher it.

Maybe there's at most two other intelligent species in the universe, either dying or starting out. We're so far apart we probably will never make contact. Apparently in the future 'everything' will grow farther apart if we don't find other ways to travel going to a neighbouring galaxy or solar system will take ages.
>>
File: laughingdeniro.gif (892KB, 226x200px) Image search: [Google]
laughingdeniro.gif
892KB, 226x200px
>>19517153
all of it
>>
>>19517089
>implying they travel by lineal-conventional means
what if they aren't simply interested in us? I'll give you an example. When you see an ant colony, do you care about it? At most, you would play with it being a child, destroying it for your own pleasure (and that's a pretty terrible possibility). But normal people don't even care. So, the same with ultra-advanced civs.
>>
If aliens can manipulate time, which you would expect from beings that could traverse spacetime to come to humans, then they could easily control when and where they are seen. They could control the direction in which we advance technology, they could intervene to keep us from blowing ourselves up.

You know how people always say that with smartphones being so commonplace you'd expect that we'd already have pictures of aliens if they existed? If you can manipulate time, hiding yourself from an entire species becomes VERY EASY
>>
>>19517169

Very possible. It's also possible (and even likely) that civilizations tend to destroy themselves before becoming advanced enough to truly explore the universe.
>>
>>19517155

Humans struggle with true comprehension of large numbers. There's no evolutionary basis or need for understanding of billions or trillions of anything, so we tend to shrug it off as just "really big".

The universe is incomprehensibly large. So large that the light leaving 95% of the stars in the universe today will not reach earth before our sun has become a white dwarf and life has long been extinct.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.