[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

1/2 >About three years ago I was working overnight at a Mac's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 3

File: 78250.jpg (31KB, 318x473px) Image search: [Google]
78250.jpg
31KB, 318x473px
1/2

>About three years ago I was working overnight at a Mac's convenience store in a pretty crappy part of town
>Big store, seating inside; keno machine, etc
>Lots of seedy characters would come in, lots of random people, all night
>Couple old guys would come in pretty frequently; they were friends and both had some pretty obvious mental-health problems; stutters, etc; I think they were on disability, and they generally waited around at about 4 am to pick up a paper delivery that they then would take door to door. The guy I mostly talked to said it brought in something like $35 a month.
>I was really nice to both of them; went out of my way to make conversation. I think I was trying to present myself as some sort of 'friend to the downtrodden', or something stupid, but it was (at least somewhat) sincere kindness on my part
>One day stutter guy walks up to my till and hands me pic related; tells me it's a good book. I used to read a lot on night-shifts so he probably noticed that and thought he'd give me a book to read
>I say thanks a lot, but I never even crack it. I didn't respect him, and didn't take his gift seriously (I might have even thrown it away eventually, but I hope I just boxxed it up at home) because I didn't really think any advice or literature he could give me would be worth my time
>>
File: cover.jpg (113KB, 400x553px) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
113KB, 400x553px
>>19510032

2/2

>Move back home for two years and suffer from pretty bad depression (note, I don't think this is related, but it's relevant)
>Read a bunch of conspiracy stuff online, getting more and more depressed; physical and mental health declining pretty rapidly
>End up coming to Hermetic philosophy and reading a few books by Atkinson as well as some pretty life-affirming stuff by people like Joseph Campbell
>Realize the book he gave me is some sort of spiritual classic that would have probably come into my life EXACTLY when I needed it, and saved me a lot of time and struggle

So did I fuck up by not respecting a potential spiritual adviser? I considered myself better than most people in my treatment of those who clearly need help, but I still wasn't sincere enough to take him seriously when he went out of his way to do something genuinely nice/helpful toward me. Is this some Journey to the West type shit, where just taking the extra moment of compassion ends up shaving years off of some terrible tribulation? What do you guys think? Any similar stories?
>>
Oh, and I still haven't read the book, but I'm definitely going to now. If anybody has anything to say about it I'd love to hear it.
>>
File: OP is a millennial.jpg (24KB, 324x324px) Image search: [Google]
OP is a millennial.jpg
24KB, 324x324px
>>19510040
You made a thread to ask whether to and/or announce that you're about to read a book? Here's your gold star, we're proud of you.
>>
>>19510211
>So did I fuck up by not respecting a potential spiritual adviser? I considered myself better than most people in my treatment of those who clearly need help, but I still wasn't sincere enough to take him seriously when he went out of his way to do something genuinely nice/helpful toward me. Is this some Journey to the West type shit, where just taking the extra moment of compassion ends up shaving years off of some terrible tribulation? What do you guys think? Any similar stories?

That's the thesis statement. Are you unable to read or something?
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.