[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Appalachian Cryptids

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

File: weird.jpg (47KB, 625x450px) Image search: [Google]
weird.jpg
47KB, 625x450px
So I live in the Blue Ridge Mountains.

This morning, like most mornings, I was taking my cat outside (yes, I walk my cat on a fucking leash). We spent about an hour walking through the woods, and everything seemed normal - squirrels chasing each other, birds chirping, all that normal shit. At one point, a dog started going nuts off in the distance, but I think he just heard me walking through the woods, snapping branches under my feet and stuff.

On our way out of the woods, my cat stops at the tree line bordering my yard and hunkers down. He stares across the yard to the opposite tree line and starts growling. I start scanning the same tree line, but I don't see a damn thing, so I walk out into the yard.

That's when it happens. I hear a fucking scream and see a dark furry mass absolutely book it up a tree across the way. Size wise, the first thing I thought to compare it to was a wolverine; shorter than a large dog, but wider and thicker. And the scream - it was kind of the same frequency as a crow, but it was definitely a scream and not a caw. Piercing.

After the brief glimpse I got of it, I could not find it anywhere up in the tree tops. That fucker was fast as all hell. A minute or two later, I heard a similar scream, but it sounded much further off. Idk if it was a second creature or not.

And my cat was scared shitless. As soon as he thought the coast was clear, he booked it to the door of my house - and he has lots of seen birds before, so I don't imagine a bird would have spooked him like that.

What do you guys think? Did I just glimpse some big bird like a hawk and mistake its upward flight as "climbing"? Could it have been some kind of wild cat species? Has anyone ever heard of anything that sounds like this in the Appalachians?
>>
>>19488677
A big fox?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk1mAd77Hr4
>>
Groundhog?
>>
>>19488688

Don't think they climb, do they? But that fits the voice.
>>
OP realized it was a fox and left the thread.
>>
>>19488709
I don't think red foxes do but grey foxes are exceptional at it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwCFnQJkfxU
>>
>>19488688
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk1mAd77Hr4

That sounds really similar, but the climbing seemed too fast for me to think it was a fox. Do foxes even climb?
>>
>>19488731

https://www.dgif.virginia.gov/wildlife/information/eastern-gray-fox/

>They are adept climbers, and use trees to escape enemies.
>>
>>19488731
Not like you described, booking it up a tree. Idk, if it wasn't a fox maybe you spotted a new species. There's those coywolves now which are a hybrid of coyotes and wolves. I'm just spit-balling a random idea by the way.
>>
>>19488737

I'm hoping that's what it was, but idk if I'd consider https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwCFnQJkfxU as adept climbing as I saw. I mean, whatever went up that tree wsa fast enough for me to second guess whether I saw climbing or flying.
>>
The guy walks his fucking cat on a leash. Man, I love this board.
>>
File: Fisher cat.png (904KB, 1080x609px) Image search: [Google]
Fisher cat.png
904KB, 1080x609px
>>19488677
Fisher cat ? They have been reported just west of the blue ridge in Virginia. You can find samples of how they scream on YouTube.
>>
>>19488805
I didn't know that was odd. I too live in the Blue Ridge Mountains, and plenty of people walk their cats on a leash.

In all seriousness, parts of the Blue Ridge Mountains have pockets of temperate rain-forest. Speaking with a biologist who works out in the Amazon, there's very little work to discover species in the Blue Ridge area. I myself have seen a bird and a mushroom with no matching species in the book. The biologist explained that there's likely many unknown species that exist in the Blue Ridge. For example, the mountain lion is cryptozoology. It does not exist, but there's many reports of a mountain lion. I've even met someone who was attacked by one, and I don't doubt the scar it left upon them.
>>
>>19488916
>For example, the mountain lion is cryptozoology. It does not exist, but there's many reports of a mountain lion.

Yep. I've seen one in Bath Co. An uncle saw a female and two cubs, there. I have several eye-witness accounts, but it officially doesn't exist.
>>
>>19488947
>>19488916
What? How do mountain lions not officially exist...
Cougars/puma/mountain lions are real animals, wtf?
>>
>>19489025
The mountain lion is the idea of a large feline that exists in the Blue Ridge specifically, and most accounts differ slightly then your puma/cougar. At this time, those species range does not extend to the Blue Ridge. The consensus of biologists is no large feline has ever been documented in the Blue Ridge Mountains.
>>
Could the sound and the animal climbing have been two different things?
>>
>>19489060
It could possibly have been, but I'm not OP. The fox makes a scream that sounds disturbing to say the least. It sounds almost as if someone is being murdered.
>>
>>19489060

It's possible I guess, but the sound very much seemed like a reaction to my presence, as did the movement.

>>19488916

I know for a fact that I live in a temerate rainforest region of the Blue Ridges. Don't know what that says other than that it rains a shit ton here, but there you go.

>>19488901

I honestly don't even know what those are. I'll lok into them though.
>>
>>19488677
It could literally be the pic you posted. It's the devil monkey and there's a few reports you could look up
>>
>>19488677
Mountian lion yo.source: I lived in smokies 30 years.
>>
>>19489111
The only thing is says is that the biodiversity is strong, and there's no telling what you might meet in the forest. This is especially true if you live in proximity of any designated wilderness areas. (A wilderness is a classification that is higher then a national park although many national parks overlap with designated wilderness areas.)
>>
>>19489122
I stop now as my typing is going to ruin.
>>
>>19488901

I looked up videos of fisher cats climbing and fisher cats screaming, and this could definitely fit the bill. I live much further south than their typical habitat, but if some made their way down here, I'm not convinced that isn't what I saw.
>>
>>19489182
Yeah they are not supposed to be this far south but this summer there have been reports of sightings in Alleghany co. VA. confirmed by the DGIF. How they got this far south is a mystery. They pose no threat to people, but they can be dangerous to small pets so keep a eye on your kitty while outdoors.
>>
>>19489259

I'll have to get a trail cam to see if fishers have returned to their old habitat.
>>
>>19488677
You walk your cat on a leash in the forest? How does it feel to have autism?
>>
>>19489492
How does it feel to be unhappy?
>>
>>19488677
Not exactly the same, but related. I find things in the gulf that are far out of normal range for the species. Also, HOLY SHIT! a productive thread on /x/! Nice!
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.