[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Skeptic Dilemma

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: skeptic.gif (11KB, 350x288px) Image search: [Google]
skeptic.gif
11KB, 350x288px
I've been on /x] since it was founded, and there is still one eternal question I have never has answered.

Why do skeptics come to /x/? Do they seek evidence of greater, weirder, more profound existences? Do they feel that something is out there, but they don't know what it is? Do they seek to point out flaws in arguments and propose alternatives?
>>
Lunatics are an easy target for ego validation.
I know you are wrong therefor i can express my thought and win an argument easily. I feel joy from that, i'm a winner. It pleases my ego, making me feels like i exists and matters.

It's the human syndrome of "mommy didn't gave me enough love". And what's keeping the humanity to evolve more quickly.
>>
>>19482682
because its interesting to read about it. think about it as if you were reading a fantasy book.
>>
>>19482774

Literally this.
I feel more pity on them than for the bible thumpers desu.
>>
As a skeptic myself, and someone who doesn't believe/prescribe to 95% of posts on /x/, I come here to see other views and ideas.

I've very rarely even replied to anyone with "that's bullshit" or "There are so many flaws there". I usually just lurk.

It's hard to explain, but it's like, even though I disagree/straight up refuse to believe something, it's still fascinating to hear people who do talk about it and stuff.
I'm the same with religions. I'm an atheist, but I studied Religious Studies in university because it genuinely interests me to see other viewpoints and stuff.
>>
>>19482682
Shit posters.
>>
I come here for the occasional unsolved murders/missing persons threads and non-paranormal mysteries. Also cryptids.

>>19482774
It's less about ego and more about getting salty over faggot roleplayers showing up in otherwise interesting threads. Discussions about myths, legends and lore and trying to reconcile them with reality or find circumstances that make them plausible are great, discussions based around 'guise i'm a vampire' and 'how2 summon succubus' are not
>>
>>19482682
The core of it is that everyone wants some mystery and magic in life. Everyone secretly wants in some small way for the world to be more than it appears. Skeptics want to believe in the paranormal, but then they look into it and see all the patently ridiculous and outright stupid shit like 90% of this board is comprised of.

Skeptics want to enjoy the feeling of uncertainty and marvel that all paranormal fans do, they just have actual standards.

>>19482774
This whole post is projection.
>>
>>19482682
I come for the spoopy greentexts. Even if they are fake its still spoopy and I like that.
Also shitting on flat earthers is fun
>>
>>19482682
many are shills attempting to discourage people, others are edgy atheists who think they've got it all figured it when really they don't know anything
>>
>>19482960
This exactly.

The missing Swedish girls were interesting, cryptid are interesting, there's a Roanoke island thread right now. I come here because the power of weaponized autism might turn up new ideas on those things. People look at things differently and know things I don't, if it's not faggy larping and tulpa a lot of the threads are bretty gud. It's frustrating to try and speak about shit that I actually know about though, to many kids with uninformed opinions screaming like a bunch of tards.
>>
>>19483053
>shills attempting to discourage people
I really don't understand their motivation.
It's not like someone is going to read a few posts on /x/ and suddenly become a godlike lvl 20 wizard overnight. Shit, even if a master wizard showed up and wrote detailed instruction on how to into magick, 99.99999999% of the readers wouldn't make it more than a day or two before giving up out of boredom.
So what gives? What do they think they're preventing?
>>
>>19482809
>think about it as if you were reading a fantasy book.
Is that really the best example though? I don't usually read a fantasy book going, "Look how stupid all of this is, this isn't real!"

>>19482960
Some people like to shoot down even the possibility that myths, legends and lore could be in some way real, though. "Bigfoot isn't real because that's stupid." "Ghosts can't exist because they don't." Appalling thought processes, really. I want research, dammit, I don't care about burdens of proof. A fuzzy photo of questionable origin is still more evidence than "Uh, no." I want alternative explanation (bears, headlights, faulty wiring, escaped gorillas...). Anything but blind dismissal. That's just as bad as blind credulity.

>>19482875
That's probably the best way to view it. I don't generally ascribe to all the things I study, but I love learning about this stuff, even from an anthropological standpoint. The things people believe, and why they believe it, it's fascinating. Even if something can't be proven, or can outright be disproven, I love learning about how those beliefs originated.
>>
>>19483728
Preventing? More like talking sense into people before they do something they can't take back like staring at the eclipse.
>>
>>19483755
I'm not sure how every other topic that gets shilled has anything to do with not looking directly at the sun.
>>
>>19483769
Are ritual threads in the staring-at-the-eclipse vein in your view? Do they have to be causing literal permanent harm to themselves for you to try and talk sense into the,?
>>
>>19483728
"ability to endure contradiction is a high sign of culture"
>>
>>19483792
I'm not here to babysit these people, and I'm not going to sit on some high horse and preach at them like I'm better than them.
I'm here to converse about weird topics with weird people, nothing more, nothing less.
>>
Why do people who don't believe in ghosts read ghost stories?
>>
>>19482682
I'm a sceptic, and while I don't believe most of the stuff on /x/ or conspiracy theories in general, I do find it all very interesting, as an exercise in imagination, new talking points or alternative views to see things from.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.