[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

this "higher self" crap

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 15

File: 4600730973[1].jpg (30KB, 432x308px) Image search: [Google]
4600730973[1].jpg
30KB, 432x308px
They say that you never die. That when your body passes on, you rejoin your higher self, and resume a greater understanding of all that is and ever will be through all eternity.

You want to know the difference between me and my higher self?

I'm the one typing this fucking message.

And when I die, I'm gone. Forever. And some other being will tell itself that it WAS me so that it can rationalize consuming me completely, dissolving me into itself... Eating and digesting me.

But I'll be gone forever.

That "higher self"? That's not me. That's just the asshole that's going to eat me when I die.

So Zen masters: correct my logic.

Now pay attention: I didn't say "make assertions to the contrary" because I'll notice when you do that. I'm saying "correct my logic". Where's the flaw in my thinking? Is there one???
>>
File: unconventional ways.png (62KB, 231x261px) Image search: [Google]
unconventional ways.png
62KB, 231x261px
do what I do
preserve your soul in a backup golem
>>
>>19462057
why would that other being have to rationalize consuming you? Surely it's you that is trying to rationalize what may happen when you die
>>
>>19462069
It will just be an inert object though... You'll never be able to make it do anything. Might as well move your consciousness into a rock.
>>
>>19462073
What does that question have to do with... Anything? Who's even talking about justice or rationalizations? What are you fucking talking about?
>>
>>19462069

Make sure you use a SSD golem or it'll take forever to back it up
>>
File: AzurasStar.png (54KB, 245x219px) Image search: [Google]
AzurasStar.png
54KB, 245x219px
>>19462074
they used to do that. old school philosopher's stone actually did give a form of immortality.
golem is more comfy though
>>
File: brazz.jpg (32KB, 325x325px) Image search: [Google]
brazz.jpg
32KB, 325x325px
>>19462079

Are you completely braindead?
>>
>>19462079
Just looking at the post in another way
>>
>>19462057

"You" will not exist in ten years anyway. The you from ten years ago to this second just died and was consumed, and so on, and so forth. Every cell and sub-atomic particle that comprises you is constantly entering in to your existence or leaving your existence. You are nothing but sand in a desert suffering a delusion that you will ever be or ever were anything but sand in a desert. Check your privilege, meatling.
>>
>>19462057

First ask yourself: who are you?

I'd like to hear your answer tho.
>>
>>19462057

>>19462102
this man is correct. You have the narrative close, but wrong still. You are ever presently being consumed. Your whole life you are evolving. When you die your spirit self will absorb your physical experience to evolve. Your cells don't complain about giving their total existence over for the evolution of their higher being (you) and neither should you.
>>
>>19462057
Well, if you are the one to consume every living thing, rather than your higher self doing it, there would not be much you left after you did that you would just be the consequence of everything. The universe is the consequence of this everything. It will end when no life is able to propagate itself in the physical plane. You are life, and the information it carries. You end life as the antichrist, and you create eternal life as the christ.
>>
File: drugs.png (84KB, 360x271px) Image search: [Google]
drugs.png
84KB, 360x271px
this bong rip is about to make me feel my higher self
>>
File: spooky_pepe.gif (494KB, 646x466px) Image search: [Google]
spooky_pepe.gif
494KB, 646x466px
>>19462057
>That "higher self"? That's not me. That's just the asshole that's going to eat me when I die.

Even though you are a douche you are actually right. If you identify with your "ego" then when YOU die YOU WILL cease to exist, and "a soul" will have a vague memory of being you for a short while.

The whole point is that you are not really your ego. If you can transcend your ego then "you" can eventually become (or at least become closer) to your soul. And when you die it will not be so traumatic.

Your ego is like having your memories stolen from you and then having a liar tell you all about yourself and your life. NONE of the things the liar told you are true and if you come to identify with them, then when you die and get your memory back, you will fell as if "you" are disintegrating.
>>
>>19462057
You specifically are you in the general sense.
>>
>>19462102
I suspected you were full of shit. Then you said "check your privilege" and I knew it for sure. So I gave it some thought...

Man, fuck you. I am so the same person I was 10 seconds ago. And you think so to, and I can prove that's what you think:

Do something right now to ruin your future, utterly and completely. Go on. Because that won't be you, so what's the fucking difference?

Ah but you know it's you, don't you? You know it's you in the future you're affecting.

Take your stupid useless pop philosophy and shove it up your fucking ass you self-satisfied fucking idiot.
>>
>>19462441
This made... Absolutely no sense to me.

To clarify: I'm not disagreeing. I just don't understand what you're saying.

But you are saying something... Could you clarify or rephrase? I sense there might be something here.
>>
>>19462478
Right. Eternal life is a lie.

But as far as me "not being my ego".. Who do you think is talking to you? Who do you think called me a douche in your post? A couple of egos.

Because THAT'S WHAT WE ARE. For reals.

And when we die we're just dead. And some alien beings absorb our energy.

It is the height of delusion to think that those aliens are the "real us". That's like saying cows are really humans because we eat them.
>>
>>19462057
"What" "will" "be" "gone"?
>>
>>19462057
As above, So below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CulmziggpvA
>>
>>19462057
zen masters don't say you can't die. they teach very much the opposite, that all of us eventually do die and everything is subject to change and destruction, including life, your memories, and all that makes up your sense of "self" and identity. Anatman or "non-permanent-self" is one of the central teachings that differentiates Buddhism from Hinduism.
>>
File: 1468206748010.jpg (48KB, 647x480px) Image search: [Google]
1468206748010.jpg
48KB, 647x480px
>>19462963
what is that?
>>
>>19462964
well, one correction to my post. all COMPOUNDED things are subject to change and destruction...
>>
>>19462963
Delete This
>>
>>19462057
You can't take it with you. No. Your not wrong. You take it, but access, nope.
>>
>>19463008
It's like the master reset button. You, as you experience things, goes on. The details, and baggage if you will, sheds like another skin. You keep it, but it's like instinct. No access.
>>
>>19462934
"Stop" "with" "the" "word" "games" "you" "fucking" "know".

>>19462963
Crowley died alone, broke, and crazy. Not a model.

>>19462964
You're right.

Shit you are 100% right. I totally aimed my aggression in the wrong direction didn't I?

Hunh. Well... fuck. LOL

So. I have no soul. There is nothing beyond death that will have anything to do with me.

That's a new reality for me. Thus the reeling. I need to do some adjusting.

>>19462989
I'm not him but I recognize it - it's one of the walls inside Crowley's old hangout, now abandoned, that has a bunch of tree-of-life Thoth Kabbalah (or however you spell it) stuff on it.

They accomplished nothing there and Crowley died broke, maladjusted and alone in some shitty apartment so... Don't get too invested.

>>19463001
Oh ya because it's soooo sensitive...
>>
>>19463017
So you, yes. You as you know now, not even a shadow. You as younwere when you came here? Absolutely.
>>
>>19463001
Why? What is it?
>>
>>19462963
ss this the guy who said he was going to leak
>>
File: IMG_5163.gif (658KB, 500x400px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5163.gif
658KB, 500x400px
You can't take it with you.
>>
>>19462057
Why do you resent that which you become a part of when you die? Why do you think you aren't a part of it now?
>>
>>19462754
Does lashing out at other people help you cope with the reality of your life? Does it make you feel as though you aren't weak?
>>
>>19462057
You are speaking from your ego, you are merely dancing the dance of the masked player on the stage.
Throw down the mask and you will see at the core of your being, you are not your identity.
>>
>>19462057
Almost. It's not that you're going to be eaten by an asshole, but rather you're the asshole that's going to be eaten. Poor higher self...
>>
>>19462754
You are such a slave to your ego hahahahha
>>
>>19462782
Before ego's existed there was only a hive-mind entity, it was conscious of itself and created ego's to experience itself through our eyes (I's). Before you decided to identify as an ego you were an unconscious part of the universe.

Kill yourself if you don't like being here.
>>
>>19462057
let go of your ego

you wont be gone forever but your conscious mind will change after death. You will not disappear, but what you call your current identity will change
>>
File: 4-THRONE-OF-GOD-FULL-.jpg (155KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
4-THRONE-OF-GOD-FULL-.jpg
155KB, 1280x960px
These words spake Jesus in the treasury, as hee taught in the Temple: and no man layd hands on him, for his houre was not yet come.

21 Then saide Jesus againe onto them, I goe my way, and ye shall seeke me, & shall die in your sinnes: Whither I goe, ye cannot come.

22 Then said the Jewes, Will hee kill himselfe? because he saith, Whither I goe, ye cannot come.

23 And hee said onto them, Yee are from beneath, I am from above: Yee are of this world, I am not of this world.

24 I said therefore onto you, that ye shall die in your sinnes. For if yee beleeve not that I am hee, yee shall die in your sinnes.

25 Then said they onto him, Who art thou? And Jesus saith onto them, Even the same that I saide onto you from the beginning.

26 I have many things to say, and to judge of you: But hee that sent mee is true, and I speake to the world, those things which I have heard of him.

27 They understood not that hee spake to them of the Father.

28 Then saide Jesus onto them, When yee haue lift up the Sonne of man, then shall ye know that I am he, and that I doe nothing of my selfe: but as my Father hath taught mee, I speake these things.

29 And he that sent me, is with me: the Father hath not left mee alone: for I doe alwayes those things that please him.

30 As hee spake those words, many beleeved on him.

31 Then said Jesus to those Jewes which beleeved on him, If ye continue in my word, then are yee my disciples indeed.

32 And ye shall know the Trueth, and the Trueth shall make you free.
>>
>>19463031
Sounds real clever and profound until you realize "you" don't take anything anywhere.

>>19463035
Shouldn't pigs resent being turned into pork chops? I think they really should.

>>19463058
Attacking the weak is an animal instinct, and as such part of the human being we shouldn't feel any shame over.

Look at me I'm evolving already...

Oh and for the record I noticed you dodging the issue when it wasn't going your way. Nice try moron.

>>19463082
"Speaking from the ego" as if we should IMMEDIATELY take it for granted there's a problem with that. Man fuck you, think for yourself, stop regurgitating shit you read in a new age book from Costco.

I mean "you are not your identity"... fuck man, the sad truth is that's ALL I am. That's the harsh truth. There's NOTHING ELSE.

>>19463106
Hey way to be a smug prick while virtue signalling, cool trick bro.

>>19463203
No. I am the ego. There is no other me.

>>19463222
>Before ego's existed
Gonna stop you right there chief. I was born human, thus as far as I'm concerned there was nothing before that point that I could possibly give a shit about.

Also that fucking apostrophe... fuck what do they teach in schools these days...

>>19463223
No, YOU kill yourself.

>>19463241
Jesus. Fucking. Christ. Dude, pro tip: the Bible is hacked together from random bits of stories and designed to strong-arm people into donating their money and doing what they're told. Only reason it exists is hive mind bullshit, peer pressure, the threat of suffering forever, and the promise of peace that nobody EVER actually gets.
>>
crap

hahahaha oh sweet summer child
>>
>>19462444
TRIPS CONFIRMED
>>
>>19462057
thd truth which you say is as far the truth you will ever know. in tha way your slice of the pie isonly as great as your hunger. since you do noy meditate you will never know how you are wrong. that which youcall crap is consequently a choice. from a perspective of even mindedness which you dont have. because you chase counless desires with differet intensty you know as much of you beig the hire self as others who perhaps have experienced it have decided to share with you
>>
>>19462963
>As above, So below

Jew here. You retards never actually understood this.

It simply means we knew the earth was a sphere ages ago. because as above, so below.
It's really that fucking simple, and that is the meaning. I could quote you in Hebrew but i won't bother larper.
>>
>>19464352
You sound like you need to learn what "choosing" is. You might be deficient of it in your life.
>>
>>19462057
When you dream at night you're someone else, but you're still you. You're not aware of your waking self, unless you are lucid, but you will stop being your dream self upon waking up, even if you remain yourself all the time.
Higher self is just a word, you're still you, just more aware of things outside this dream you call reality.
>>
>>19463273

I'm only one statement (two posts in response to two of your posts) into the thread. To think someone is arguing with you is just that; your thought. I find this mindset almost purely self destructive. Also, if I am not aware why should I care what happens when I die?
>>
File: 1501737262097.jpg (26KB, 750x571px) Image search: [Google]
1501737262097.jpg
26KB, 750x571px
>>19464827
you type the right words
>>
>>19462057
"One who can see that all activities are performed by the body, which is created of material nature, and sees that the self does nothing, actually sees." (Bhagavad Gita 13.30)

You have a right to perform your prescribed duty, but you are not entitled to the fruits of action. Never consider yourself to be the cause of the results of your activities, and never be attached to not doing your duty. (Bg 2.47)

Action is the product of material nature, or prakriti. One who is attached to the result of his work is also the cause of the action. Thus he is the enjoyer or sufferer of the result of such actions. One who factually realizes this and is aware his real self is not all involved with bodily processes - or anything material- is liberated.
>>
>>19462057
It's a matter of perspective. You can look at your higher self that way, that it is the kind of being that dines on egos, which it is. If you identify as the ego, then you're fucked.

If you don't identify as anything or realize that identity is an illusion, then it's a different story.
>>
File: 1503085845565.png (855KB, 1079x2218px) Image search: [Google]
1503085845565.png
855KB, 1079x2218px
If you choose to believe that you are your ego, then everything you said is absolutely true. The only way to escape it, is to choose not to identify with your ego. If you don't choose that, then lol get stomped shitlord
>>
>>19464413
Hermeticism isn't Jewish and the source texts are in Greek, not Hebrew.
>>
File: pleasant_middle_aged_guy.jpg (61KB, 300x372px) Image search: [Google]
pleasant_middle_aged_guy.jpg
61KB, 300x372px
>>19462057
>"correct my logic"
You don't make any logical assertions, just give your opinion.

FYI:
>death isn't the end
>your miserable whinging 'little self' is the tip of an iceberg, the projection on the screen when in fact your whole being includes the light of the projector, the source of the light, and the guy in the projection room working the machinery, to stretch the analogy.

tl;dr, stop whinging.
>>
OP back in the morning, holy shit this thread didn't die yet...

>>19464083
Oh look everyone he's smug and using a Game of Thrones reference. Must be a fucking enlightened being. I should change my opinion on things based on what he says.

>>19464352
I don't meditate? Hmm weird I wonder what all those hours of sitting around fucking with my brain were all about.

Why do you think I'm so pissed off now? I was finally able to rip off the membrane of bullshit and realize how flawed the premise behind all of this philosophy was.

Look: meditation and Zen give you bliss, but that's not the same as wisdom. They lead you to common insights and thought patterns, help you pull away at a good deal of your neurosis, but that's not the same as bringing you to a fundamental truth.

Mindlessness shouldn't be regarded as a de facto desirable. The Tao is just another religion.

Question more.

>>19464413
>>19465782
All religion and "inherited wisdom" is an opportunity for you to be lazy and stop thinking through things for yourself. Quit being sheep.

>>19464827
This guy aping enlightenment and transcendence will using the word "I" 5 times in 4 sentences... And buddy here >>19465105
doing that most revolting of New Age traditions, the "I'm enlightened too!!" acknowledgement humm. Come on, you know the one: someone says something that sounds like people will think it's wisdom and everyone goes "mmMMMmmmmmm" loud enough so that we all understand how fucking deep we should think they are... fuck... someone give these people a mirror...

>>19465144
Alright so you should already know what I think about "scriptures" but I'll read your quotes...

Okay so a vague reference to identity as the intangible observer, make-believing that one's thoughts aren't biology based... And some stuff about "duty" and not having any right to the results of my actions.

What the fuck did you post this for? You just trying to piss me off more? Fuck you.

Ugh I'm at word count, to be continued....
>>
OP continues...

>>19465369
>If you don't identify as anything or realize that identity is an illusion, then it's a different story.

Oh it's "realize that" identity is an illusion, because that's the default truth. Not "consider that maybe" or "what if" or any other thought strategy that involves actually thinking about what we're discussing, but simply "realize that"...

Fucking religious fags... Identity isn't an illusion. "I" exist. If you believe this, fucking kill yourself then, because you're not actually killing anybody at all because you don't even exist right?

Stop pretending you actually believe these things. Admit to the massive amount of tension between the theory that identity is an illusion and your actually believing it's true.

That tension is trying to tell you something.

>>19466529
You offer zero new insights. Fuck you.
>>
>>19466548
The final sentence is a diogenes quote, and portraying the manner of personal thought is important for distinguishing axioms from personal views.
>>
>>19466574
>You offer zero new insights.
If you paused for a moment and truly considered what I said, sat with it and experienced it, you would change your life. Instead you prefer to be a miserable whining cunt stuck in your ego, feeling superior because you're too scared to face anything which challenges your fragile sense of self. You must be a right asshole in real life as well as on here.
>>
>>19466548
>>19466574
Hey, it's a real person! Good to know that there are still some left on /x/. The disassociation is strong in this place. You're right though: identity is most definitely not an illusion. People who suggest otherwise aren't themselves, they simply associate with ideas instead of their real identity. Role players have the numbers advantage here.
>>
"Higher self" is just a part of you. You can be one with this self even in your waking life. At that point it's not "higher", it's just you.
>>
>>19462057
You don't "get it" OP
Sorry
>>
>>19462057
They always ask me whether it's death or life that follows our existence. I say it's neither.
>>
>>19462057
You

your higher self is actually you

but since we get to be born, we experience things, good , bad, all sorts of different things happen. And those experiences form you ,mold you, into who you are .
To become one with your higher self is to get all this layers of experience down.

Look at it like a soil that gets covered by snow ,or sand or whatever you like
the stuff that covers the soil is what you think you are, your tendencies, the way you react to things, your memories and so on,

To achieve that higher self is to dig down to the soil, because the soil is your real self, unchanging it is, and it doesnt die, but the stuff that covers it will be gone forever once you die.

Then you reborn and the soil will be covered with stuff again
>>
File: mister-salty.jpg (20KB, 200x302px) Image search: [Google]
mister-salty.jpg
20KB, 200x302px
>>19462057

>being surly and asshurt with your eternal being
>>
File: 1488941709492.jpg (7KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1488941709492.jpg
7KB, 250x250px
>>19462057
Aw cute, he thinks there is a logic to his posts and not just a series of whiny feel opinions. Now i'm gonna demonstrate to you how a real logical argument works. Don't worry, it's gonna be extremely simple:

P1: If i am my thoughts (Also read: identities, feels, opinions, ego), when my thoughts cease to exist, i also cease to exist
P2: I don't cease to exist when my thoughts cease to exist (identities, feels, opinions, ego)
C: Therefore, i am not my thoughts (identities, feels, opinions)

This argument assumes the logical form of modus tollens.

Sources: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modus_tollens

It's a form of a deductive argument.
Ways to disprove an argument:

1.Show that at least one of the premises is false
2. Show that the argument is not a valid logical form
3. Show that the argument is a fallacy

Ways not to disprove argument:

1 Whine like an autist
2. Whine like a bitch
3. Everything you typed so far

Your move. Warning : Autistic replies will not be humored.
>>
>>19466615
>Instead you prefer to be a miserable whining cunt stuck in your ego

The complete lack of self-awareness holy shit... Just when I think we've hit the limit...

>>19466637
I'm still needy enough to appreciate your words of encouragement. :)

>>19466648
Mkay... that's possibly a useful perspective although not many people echo that sentiment. Also it's outside of my own experience but I'll mull it over, see if there's a way to leverage that.

>>19466670
I used to "get it", but then the trance broke.

>>19466858
Soooooooooo... ?

>>19466939
Nice poem. Pretty hazy ideas but I'm sure people will find it real trippy.

>>19466957
Ya fuck you too.

>>19466991
>Aw cute, he thinks

Stopped reading there. And the fucking smug Pepe... Anyway I appreciate your making it clear up front that you have nothing to offer so I don't waste my time. Enjoy dying alone.
>>
>>19463273
So much ego, if you don't feed it, it will weaken and you will have a chance to awaken.
>>
>>19464413
Hermes wasn't a Jew though, silly circle.
>>
>>19466991
>operating on the basis that identity is something static
>>
>>19467475
There is something static which is always there, regardless of whether there is absence of thought or not. Something transient like a thought cannot be my essential identity.
>>
>>19467314
It's me >>19466637

I appreciate your resistance. There are really powerful ideas and narratives floating around here, many lose themselves in defending or speaking for them. I believe our unique perspective on things is much more important than the ideas themselves. And I like how you go against the flow.
>>
>>19462057
You are God, and God is you. Whatever you believe happens, happens. You judge yourself in the end
>>
>>19466548
>make-believing that one's thoughts aren't biology based
they're not, you filthy reductionist; they're biology-embodied
>>
OP, when questioning reality, see if you can get a reality check. You have at least three posters in this thread calling you whiny or whingey. FFS take some notice and stop being a brat.
>>
File: 1503153196843.png (430KB, 680x680px) Image search: [Google]
1503153196843.png
430KB, 680x680px
>>19467314
No, you're just dumb. Maybe next time around pal.
Thread posts: 75
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.