[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Advertisement | Home]

Does anyone else find living forever and being dead forever equally

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1

This is of course barring reincarnation. I've thought about it more because there's been more buzz in futurologist circles about aging being cured within the next few generations.

>But you stop existing when you're dead so you can't suffer during it!
I know, but that's not the point. The LIVING me dreads it because it knows there's infinite time after that point too that I miss out on and can't come back to, I know the dead me won't.

But living forever seems like a torture in its own merit unless we lose our memories and become "new" people eventually.

I know some popsci people are saying we'll have biological immortality within a few hundred years and people will live to be around 8,000 years old on average due to accident statistics, and that number will increase until we either go out due to a doomsday event, succumb to heat death of the universe, or figure out how to master entropy/planeswalk to different universes and live literally for eternity.

I mean if I had to pick I'd choose living forever but that doesn't mean I'd be happy about it.

I've tried being religious/spiritual but can't. I mean, I think that it's totally possible that a world as crazy as this one isn't the only one we can experience/that exists but I don't have a strong faith on anything.
>>
>die
>go back to the source
>be the source for a bit
>get bored
>split up again to relieve boredom
>>
>>19448163

You can't know you don't exist though, so from your perspective, you will only ever know existence, regardless of whether you extend your life & live forever or die today. To know you don't exist is to exist, it's a catch 22.

So either you die and that's it, but you cannot ever know that is the case, meaning you only ever knew existence, or you die, consciousness continues, and again, you only know existence.
>>
>>19448172
True but I also know I'd be missing shit? If that makes sense.

I think my paranoia is riled up by all this talk of immortality being around the corner but just too far ahead for me to reasonably expect? That combined with my own spiritual shortcomings.

>>19448171
I wish.
Thread posts: 4
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.