[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Young-Old Q&A /x/ edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 6

File: 4284427_std.jpg (17KB, 360x254px) Image search: [Google]
4284427_std.jpg
17KB, 360x254px
ITT young people ask old people questions and vice versa

Staring off:
>I'm old enough to remember 9/11 and the 90s in detail
>Have seen UFOs and ghost lights in person
>Grew up in the western US - saw the comet
>Can confirm the world of the supernatural changed after 2000

My question: What kinds of things are you learning about in schools these days? How are things like 9/11 and Columbine discussed if at all?
>>
>>19437692
seconded
>>
>>19437700
Which part is the same?
>>
>>19437712
I was born in the mid 70s and want to know the same things.
And not to make this a mandela thread (SERIOUSLY DON'T), but I distinctly remember columbine being in 1996ish.
>>
The world of the supernatural changed after 2000?
>>
>>19437820
Nah, it was 99, I was in 5th grade down the road. I could even tell you the weather.
>>
>>19438019
Yeah. Prior to the explosion of the internet the "tone" of supernatural discussion was different. There were far fewer "creepypasta"-type stories and much more "finding the weird section of the library" type of discovery and investigation. I actually used to have to request books from other libraries because I'd see something mentioned in one book but my local library wouldn't have the book mentioned. I felt like Indiana Jones.

I guess you could say it all felt more "real" because anything you found wasn't filtered through the internet.
>>
>>19438210
That's true but there were often only single perspectives on things - you got what the author said and nothing else. Think of all the dumb ESP books in the library that read like an Ancient Aliens episode...
The internet (and to an extent bbs's before) has opened up a trove of experiential information that never could have been compiled back in the print library days.
>>
>>19437692
Hey! I'm 19 and might be able to help answer your question. Overall, those events never really get talked about, and instead we're just drilled the basics of english, science, and math. A lot of these culturally-defining events are skipped over or barely touched on. 9/11 always has a moment of silence, and occasionally teachers will say a short thing about it (if they have the drive or were personally connected). Kids younger than me may have a much different experience, however, simply because I know I'm just starting to learn stuff at university pertaining to events from my childhood.
>>
hey 22 years old what do you think a guy my age in his 20s avoid ?
>>
>>19439243
Avoid believing that the 'you' of now is the most important being. Do not live self absorbed or absorbed in trivial social concepts. Remain humble and immerse yourself as an observer into as many varied experiences as possible. Try not to get too attached go any one thing and allow yourself to find happiness. Learn to see others who are different as an equal part of the whole you are also a part of.

Try to connect the emotions you experience and the sensations in your body to your thoughts and actions. Realize that any situation you are playing a victim in can be changed. Have no fear of speaking your truth and changing old systems that are broken. Stay balanced and love yourself enough to pull yourself out of crap situations that add no value. Love others as yourself.

Learn how to appreciate all that Gaia has to offer and enjoy the ride. Offer whatever skills you have to others as it makes sense. Live, laugh, love.
>>
I am a thirtysomething (anyone remember this show?) And I would like advice from anyone who is awake and has found what they belive to be their purpose here. Specifically, I feel I can see systems for what they are, but I have not yet accessed my full memory from other timelines.

I feel like I am still trying to take it all in, but I cannot escape the feeling something big is coming my way. I believe I'm meant to use my skills as a strategist and facilitator, but I'm not sure how yet other than to use my will and intent to bring the experiences I want. I am working to encourage others as I can, but most of the concepts I'm drawn to are paradigm busters for my friends and family.

I'm rambling now, but does anyone have a similar experience? I've been a seeker for so long. I feel I've found something and now I feel I'm just in wait mode.
>>
>>19439238
Does 9/11 even matter or register for you or others your age? (For me the Kennedy assassination wasn't a huge thing until I got into history in my 20s, and we never really covered it in school.)
>>
>>19439388
Not him but another 22 year old. I was 6 when 9/11 happened, honestly I don't care about it. It's been close to 20 years, it's about time people moved on

Gross incompetence, funding terrorism elsewhere, ignoring repeated warnings from intelligence agencies is what caused 9/11.

Honestly school shootings, bombings, murder, looting and racism has become so common now that it doesn't surprise me much.

IN general I have a very grim view of society, my friends are not entirely trustworthy and the girlfriend I have right now might even end up leaving one day.

The only people I truly trust are my parents. They have nothing to gain from me,which is reassuring in a way.

I am not some edgy teen who hates everyone, I am a medical student. I have been volunteering in old age homes and hospitals since I was 16 so I could gain a better understanding of what caring and serving the needy means. I have volunteered for atleast 6 major charities in the last 6 years.

In a way I have learned things that most people my age probably don't know or care about. It makes me wise, I am respected by my friends as being aN intelligent and responsible guy bu in the end all this knowledge, all these experiences have just made me a sadder person.

I can't let go and enjoy when there is so much suffering in the world. When I see everything that's wrong and can be changed but I'm too weak to do it by myself.

I try my best to help others though, I do my small part.
>>
How is social media seen by everyone? I'd be interested to hear how it has changed/shaped experiences.
>>
>>19439348
>>19439348
Whatever you seek and whatever you know, write it down.

Read as many books as you can about topics that interest you both inside and outside occult.

Documentaries are good too but they only take you so far and the american documentaries are too retarded to watch with stupid audio effects.

Books are my first recommendation.
>>
>>19439412
For social media is a breath of fresh air, lots of information that you can never expect on the traditional media ruled over by the left wing and right wing and their respective propaganda sources.

With social media you can collaborate with other people to find your own truth. Don't have to rely on some literature major journalist who can't piece two basic strings of evidence together
>>
What about romance? What are the opinions of old people on romance and girls and all that jazz?

Were girls better in ye olden days? Did they cheat and manipulate less? Were they less flighty and emotional?
>>
>>19439410
Are you aware that so much of the police state came around as a direct result of 9/11? As they built the "temporary" security apparatus in 2001-2003ish anytime an objection was raised the overwhelming response was "traitor! 9/11!"
It's less about getting over it and more understanding what happened because of it.
>>
>>19439448
Ofcourse I am aware. It's also quite possible that most of it was possibly planned. Whatever it was, America and americans started spiraling downwards even more after 9/11. Stupidity and ignorance became something that a lot of americans became of proud of.

Remember freedom fries?

It's not surprising at all honestly to see where our country has ended up eventually and where it's headed. A place where logic and reason has no place.

We are lucky we have trillions of dollars to burn through and to cover our mistakes with. The day patriot act was passed was the day America was truly doomed. But that was just the government side, the societal downside began with conspiracy nutjobs becoming mainstream, the trillions of dollars burnt on Iraq and Afghanistan wars, the hatred against minorities that brewed in the society and so on..

That's why I said america needs to stop being so butthurt about 9/11, get rid of her old ways and finally find peace with what happened.

It's similar to women who go berserk after they have been sexually assualted. You can't blame them, but eventually they have to get over what happened and look to the future.
>>
>>19439485
Freedom fries. That wins an honest laugh from me today. Thanks for the reminder they existed.
>>
>>19439485
Good to know. It was a genuine question on my part, and not trying to explain history to you - just wasn't sure whether that bit of reality had made it to someone whose life was lived wholly post-9/11 (in the practical if not literal sense).
Curiously I live in a part of the US where they're still called freedom fries...
>>
>>19439426
I see that opportunity and use certain social media tools as they prove valuable for specific uses in my life. I've also seen the emergence of a fake perception takeover in people. I've watched people believe that they are defined by the often fake personas they place online. I see others purposefully creating disinformation. I feel like the balance is very askew and we need to learn to harness these tools more productively.
>>
>>19439419
Thank you. I'm a huge reader and agree wholeheartedly with what you've said. I enjoy taking in information from varied sources as my own perspective grows when I suspend judgment and seek to see more with a balanced heart.

I've recently started journaling again. It seems to flow and my thoughts don't simply float into the ether when I write It down. Thanks for the encouragement to work with this more.
>>
>>19439495
I didn't take it personally I understand you were just curious. I am sorry if I came off a bit aggressive but yes most of the time 9/11 or politics in general wasn't a big worry of my 6 year old self. I occasionally used to overhear news when my parents watched it but otherwise I wasn't very interested in all that till I was 12 or 13.

But yes, for me and I am sure many others who are my age. All these changes in America were quite "organic" they just happened. I didn't necessarily correlate increasing police brutality and media censorship and growing public anger to 9/11.

But yes I do remember even till 2006-2008, 9/11 was often talked about in news and in political discussions.

Heh, which part of us might that be? Somewhere in the south?
>>
>>19439497
Yes I'd agree, online personas are a big deal to youngsters of my age and even younger. As I said I am 22 and there are plenty of instagram models who live off of their photos so yo speak. Companies sponsor their photoshoots and thsee girls advertise the products and get loads of money.

Lots of desperate men also pay for these young, hot chicks so this whole instagram persona thingy is the bread and butter of many of these girls.

Prostitution and social media are also quite related where horny teenage boys pay a lot of money for sexy looking teenage girls or young 20 somethings to play video games in skimpy outfits and what not.

That being said, the world of social media can be dangerous, especially if you are one of those who easily trust other people. So one has to extremely careful about what they read and who they talk to.

Generally you are safe as long as you don't reveal personal info about yourself and know how to differentiate between trolls and actual, nice people.
>>
>>19439433
I find that all people are somewhere on the spectrum of life leaning toward one polarity or the other on a range of topics. Just like magnets, we often attract the opposite energy to our own until we can come to a balanced position.

Women are and have always the same as Men and can have varied positions on anything you can imagine.

I found true romance came when I found someone willing to work on themselves while accepting me while I work to understand myself better. A compliment to my journey.
>>
>>19439507
No problem friend, I wish you luck in your journey ahead. Finding and discussing ideas with like-minded people will also help you. Others may about things that you didn't even consider or that never crossed your mind. Always a good habit to meet others and ask for advice
>>
>>19439512
>freedom fries in the south?
Heh, how'd you guess? Yup, smack dab in the Bible belt.
>>
>>19439536
If it is a big deal, who would these people be without it? Imagine the power grid is down for an extended period of time. What would that withdrawal be like?
>>
Is there an age where you finally reach complacency?
>>
>>19439593
Shit, I meant Contentness
>>
>>19439593
I hope not.
>>
>>19439596
In that case, I am striving for peace in the moment. I'm content when I achieve that, but it ebbs and flows as I experience new things.
>>
>>19439412
Kinda funny we've reached a point where the president chooses to communicate / threaten nuclear war through Twitter.
>>
File: papa varg.png (246KB, 640x432px) Image search: [Google]
papa varg.png
246KB, 640x432px
Im 26, i can remember being a kid and going to school before social media, 4chan, smart phones. And i can remember going to school when social media, 4chan, and smart phones were just starting.

You kids are lucky because you can just find the online profile of the girl you want to fuck and save her dumb slut pics.
In the old days we just had to use our imagination for fapping
>>
File: Cell_by_Stephen_King.jpg (45KB, 329x500px) Image search: [Google]
Cell_by_Stephen_King.jpg
45KB, 329x500px
Also i was always pretty anti social, i take a long time to warm up to people and talk to them. I remember the world where people would talk to each other and i was the autistic guy who never talked.
And then i saw the world slowly transform into texting zombies, and all of a sudden no one talked to each other anymore. They all pretend to be on their phone.
And i have never owned a phone, So everything in the world reversed, every time i try to start a conversation with someone they are texting or shitposting on their phone
>>
>>19437692
fuck, remembering 9/11 is the benchmark for oldfag now?
i was in college at the time....

how many young fags don't know Germany was 2 countries for most of last century, that Russia was the USSR, or that POGS were a thing
how many didn't see the OJ trial, the first episode of Simpsons, or Princess Di's crash when they were a current event
the days before everyone had a computer in their pocket, or before they had a computer in their home, before there was even a computer lab at school

I'm an old fag, and I've seen some SHIT
>>
I was born the year the cold war ended, i can remember the first episode of sponge bob, 9/11, yu-gi-oh cards, and dial up internet
>>
>>19439656
Bump

>>19439656
>>
>>19437692
Im young enough to know that Big foot is real
>>
>>19439448
God. I remember warning "the adults" about this (and I'm not saying that like I was a smart-alek, I mean I was a dumb kid and it was obvious even to me what they were doing) but it was like all our parents and teachers were hypnotized or something. They kept telling us "don't worry we aren't going to war" and "this is only temporary, you'll be able to walk daddy to the plane again soon."
>>
>>19439652
You're older than I am! What was the deal with ghosts and shit in the 80s? When and how did the focus shift to aliens in the 90s?
>>
File: hqdefault (2).jpg (20KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault (2).jpg
20KB, 480x360px
>>19443261
They WERE hypnotized. Mass hypnosis is one of the best ways to describe it that I can think of, now that you mention it. I had to stop pointing it out, too, because people wouldn't just laugh or stop being your friend, they'd get legitimately angry and consider you to be an enemy of the state even for mentioning that invading Afghanistan was a bad idea or that crazy new language like "homeland" evoked the soviet union and third reich.
Do you remember all the flags?
>>
>>19439652
Ahh the Simpsons, buy do you remember the cartoon started out as a bumper in/out of commercials on the Tracey Ullmann show?
>>
I'm old enough to have been in the Vietnam war.
>>
>>19439243
Women and politics
>>
>>19439652
>there will soon be people old enough to join the army, that were born after 9/11 happened, to die in conflicts that were started before they were born.
>>
>>19439388
24yo from Aus here, I was 7-8 at the time. I recall being a little bit scared because of how my mum was responding to it but I also recall not taking it nearly as seriously as I would today. I also remember not being able to comprehend why the building collapsed down on itself but eventually came to accept it. Without trying to go full conspiritard on you, that acceptance has left me.

I do remember looking up for like 6 months every time a plane flew overhead. The whole event has had a much bigger impact on me as I've grown older. For me, the 80's and 90's look like a time where the world was starting to just maybe get along with one another. 9/11 to me feels like the boot which crushed that possible future.
>>
File: ibp3dxZy2Vys4F[1].png (661KB, 848x900px) Image search: [Google]
ibp3dxZy2Vys4F[1].png
661KB, 848x900px
>>19443773
>31st december 1999
>all that optimism and hope of a bright future of humanity, and a fresh new millenium
>21 months later...
>>
>>19443773
>>>19439388
>The whole event has had a much bigger impact on me as I've grown older.
>impact
I see what you did there
>>
I was born in 1990, but my experience probably differs from most of you. I was homeschooled.
>>
>>19443852
Same here, homeschooled 1990 baby. 9/11 was huge even for me, and I'm Canadian
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.