[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Let's Talk About Chimeras

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: Thoth.svg.png (389KB, 1200x2314px) Image search: [Google]
Thoth.svg.png
389KB, 1200x2314px
chimeras or have been around in folklore and legend forever. the past twenty years they've been a silly conspiracy from alex jones until it became legit news since CRISPR:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KX4DHmzGdE

My questions for you /x/ is

>How far can this go?
>How far has it secretly already gone through black budget projects in underground bases?
>Was Thoth a chimera?
>Will human/animal hybrids be the transgenders of the future demanding rights?
>>
File: JEWDA.jpg (107KB, 767x402px) Image search: [Google]
JEWDA.jpg
107KB, 767x402px
>>19381236
(((COHEN))) bet your ass a jew wont be made a hybrid of
>>
>>19381327
LMAO
>>
>>19381236
A chimera in biology is any creature with two distinct sets of DNA. Usually this is done by two zygotes merging in the womb. It can also be made through transplants. Any and all people who have had an organ transplant are technically chimeras. In biology, a chimera is NOT a hybrid.

http://stemcellbioethics.wikischolars.columbia.edu/Module+7+-+Human-Animal+Chimeras
>A hybrid is created when an ovum from one species is fertilized by the sperm of another species. All the cells in a hybrid organism contain the same genetic information that is derived from the two different species.
>In contrast, human - animal chimeras, generated by introducing human stem cells into an animal embryo, are composed of two genetically distinct types of cells. One cell type contains a complete human genome while the second cell type contains a complete genome of the animal species.

Chimeras in mythology were a specific hybrid animal made up of a lion, goat, and serpent. Sometimes it is depicted with wings or a dragon head as well, though I feel this is a later addition. Also, chimera can be generalized into any mythological creature composed of two different species, though I usually don't as this can lead to confusion (i.e. Pegasus is a chimera as in two animals fused, but not an "actual" chimera).

We have had hybrids since prehistoric times. The Egyptian Empire used mules, and we have Sumerian texts pricing a mule.
http://www.mulemuseum.org/history-of-the-mule.html

We have used chimeras since ancient times as well. Ever since the first branch of one tree was grafted onto a tree of a different type. This likely happened around 600-500 BCE, though there is shaky evidence of it developing earlier.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grafting#History.2C_society_and_culture

CRISPR just provides a faster, more precise way to create these hybrids and chimeras.
>>
>>19382488
>In biology, a chimera is NOT a hybrid

But if if you made a Chimera from two zygotes that were of separate species then it would be a hybrid.

It would be both a Chimera and a Hybrid.
>>
>>19382501
>But if if you made a Chimera from two zygotes that were of separate species then it would be a hybrid.
No it would not. The terminology does not depend on how the creature was made, it depends on what is inside the creature.
1 set of DNA = not chimera
2+ sets of DNA = chimera

If you were to take a hybrid and introduce a completely different set of DNA into it, then you would have a chimera and a hybrid. Like if you put human DNA into a mule.
>>
>>19382521
Not him but...
2+ sets of DNA equal a mosaic, not a chimera

A chimera requires the fusion of two zygotes.
They are basicly the same, but the terminology DO depends on how the creature was made
>>
>>19383454
I had not heard the term mosaic for biology before. Interesting, although the wiki seems to indicate chimeras and mosaics arise from different procedures.

>Genetic mosaics may often be confused with chimerism, in which two or more genotypes arise in one individual similarly to mosaicism. However, the two genotypes arise from the fusion of more than one fertilized zygote in the early stages of embryonic development, rather than from a mutation.

It seems the main difference is a mosaic results from a single zygote mutating early in development.

http://genegeek.ca/2014/07/mosaic-vs-chimera/
>The different cell lines in chimeras originally come from different zygotes whereas mosaics arise from the same zygote.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.