[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Rural Vs City

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 12

File: PICT0126.jpg (2MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
PICT0126.jpg
2MB, 2048x1536px
What are your guys thoughts on the rural areas vs urban areas in terms of spookiness? Are rural areas spookier to city folk than cities? What types of spooky things are generally accepted to happen in both places? Which has more?
>>
File: PICT0127.jpg (706KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
PICT0127.jpg
706KB, 2048x1536px
With that what are you more experienced with? Share some stories.
>>
Cities are unnatural abominations that turn people into cunts.
>>
>>19359650
ayy lmaos come out more in rural areas
>>
>>19359650
I think rural is less spooky because you are living in a new environment rather than one that many people are occupying.
>>
>>19359650
Urban is spookier, it has cityfags and junkies.
>>
>>19359650
Generally speaking, both can be creepy in their own ways.

I think rural areas win out though. Cities are certainly scary but they are generally well lit, have some measure of police/emergency/medical presence, and it can be hard to get really spooked in a crowd (all mental illness aside). I also think that while cities always have some crazy people, there are some seriously fucked up people in rural areas who live there because they wanted the isolation.
>>
>>19359689
>rural is less spooky because you are living in a new environment
?
>>
File: PICT0128.jpg (558KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
PICT0128.jpg
558KB, 2048x1536px
>>19359702
>Generally speaking, both can be creepy in their own ways.
>I think rural areas win out though. Cities are certainly scary but they are generally well lit, have some measure of police/emergency/medical presence, and it can be hard to get really spooked in a crowd (all mental illness aside). I also think that while cities always have some crazy people, there are some seriously fucked up people in rural areas who live there because they wanted the isolation.
Makes sense, out here the police and whatnot are not really seen as an immediate thing. First thing you do is drive someone hurt to the hospital yourself. The isolation is understandable.

>>19359689
>I think rural is less spooky because you are living in a new environment rather than one that many people are occupying.
New environment? Like fresh?

>>19359695
Fair point.

>>19359664
I wonder if that is true or if the inability to see the sky at night has anything to do with it in the city.
>>
File: Road 1.jpg (167KB, 1207x800px) Image search: [Google]
Road 1.jpg
167KB, 1207x800px
>>19359650
Sonoran Desert is top tier in terms of loneliness and spook. I live in southern Arizona and the night time is spooky here.
>>
File: kristy-snyder-tucson.png (752KB, 580x802px) Image search: [Google]
kristy-snyder-tucson.png
752KB, 580x802px
>>
Rural for sure, if only cos it's deadly quiet and dark at night. In the city there's always lights and cars and sirens and crazy people yelling outside
>>
File: PICT0129.jpg (2MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
PICT0129.jpg
2MB, 2048x1536px
>>19359743
>>19359734
What about it is spooky?

For example I live in the woods and when you are out there at night alone
>The woods feels close
>You cannot see well at all
>The bushes and things you can see look like shapes that are animistic and move if there is any wind.
>Lots of noises, not bad if you are used to them but I can see how they would be scary.
>Sometimes the woods goes silent, even scarier.
>You feel like there are things trying to get close to you and you cannot see them
>Like walking by a bush and you cannot see through it but it seems completely likely something is in it and its literally right next to you and impenetrably black.
>You can never watch everywhere at once and it feels like something is sneaking up behind you.
>Leaning against a tree does not help, what if its in the branches above you?
>What if its behind the tree and can reach around?
>Oh yeah, can get turned around really easy in the dark.
>Now and then you hear a large twig or something snap that you mind goes "DANGER" to.

Sometimes its completely fine though. Don't get high alone out there though, did not work out good for me. But, thats what I mean in terms of feeling spooky.
>>
>>19359650
The city that stretches above and below and all directions is a repository for a million broken dreams and crushed souls. If there was a scale for human suffering, the city would be at the top.
The city is for the weak. The city is for the opportunists and the slaves they own.
>>
File: arizona-night-cacti.jpg (152KB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
arizona-night-cacti.jpg
152KB, 1440x900px
>>19359764
Here it's not close at all, but you feel like you're super exposed to the sky so aliens can see you really well. There is also a decent cover of underbrush, and a bunch of small animals that go through it.

As far as supernatural shit is concerned though, the whole place feels really old. You get crazy storms and the coyotes are spooky too. Sometimes the saguaro cactus looks like a person too.
>>
>>19359772
>The city that stretches above and below and all directions is a repository for a million broken dreams and crushed souls. If there was a scale for human suffering, the city would be at the top.
>The city is for the weak. The city is for the opportunists and the slaves they own.
Seems like there would be more evil things there drawn to the suffering then.

>>19359786
>>>19359764 (You)
>Here it's not close at all, but you feel like you're super exposed to the sky so aliens can see you really well. There is also a decent cover of underbrush, and a bunch of small animals that go through it.
>As far as supernatural shit is concerned though, the whole place feels really old. You get crazy storms and the coyotes are spooky too. Sometimes the saguaro cactus looks like
So extremely exposed as opposed to trapped and small critters in brush. Don't get the oldness feel in the forest, pine forests can feel very primal though. We got the coyotes here and you can sometimes here them yipping in their packs, its when they go silent they are on the hunt. If its storming and you are in the forest you have things like falling tree branches to worry about, GTFO for purely physical reasons, don't really have time to thing about spooky things.
>>
File: PICT0130.jpg (2MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
PICT0130.jpg
2MB, 2048x1536px
I think I should clarify what I was asking as well. When I said types of things to worry about I guess I meant what kinds of myths and legends are said to inhabit them.

For example:
Rural:
>Wendigos
>BEK
>Weird woods critters
>Ayyy lmaos
>Witchy Wolves
>Ghosties
>Roasties
>Pan effect
>Rednecks gone crazy? I have seen that trope frequently in movies although it does not seem very supernatural.
>Treacherous sprites in the woods
>Things that impersonate people and pets

Cities:
>Crazies
>Ghosts
>Dunno desu, cities are not my thing
>>
I've lived most of my life in rural to small town settings, including now, but lived in a big city during college.

I was never afraid of the supernatural in the city. I lived in dorms and apartments, so I was constantly surrounded by other people even if I was "alone," so I never felt like I would be the target of some monster. If something spooky did happen, they'd get the people on the first floor first and I'd hear about it before it got to me.

But I'm not really afraid of other people at living in a small rural town like I am now. Living way out in the country might expose you to creepy hillbillies, but not in a town, even a very small one. I have no fears about walking around outside at any time of day or night, I don't even have to bring my cellphone. But, if I'm at home alone, the idea of ghosts and other monsters are just believable enough to make me a little nervous.

I lived for a short time out in the countryside, and that was probably the scariest to me, since I had to worry about both ghosts and wild animals. I was too young to consider the hillbillies but I probably would if I lived there now.

TL;DR: Cities are scarier, but rural areas are spookier.
>>
File: PICT0083.jpg (1MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
PICT0083.jpg
1MB, 2048x1536px
>>19359845
>I was too young to consider the hillbillies but I probably would if I lived there now.
Probably because I grew up in the country I do not understand this one. Are country people really viewed like in Tucker And Dale Vs Evil for example? I can see where there is a definite cultural difference, but not to that extreme. There are definitely unscrupulous lowlifes, but they usually just do B&Es and possible armed ones at worst.
>>
>>19359661
I second this. Cities are a cesspool of negative energies.
That can make for a highly paranormal region.
>>
From experience, cities generally have more paranormal activity due to the negative energies. However, you are far less likely to be a target for anything unless you have special features. Also, spirits that feed off fear don't thrive in cities because everyone is too preoccupied with their work to give a shit to them.
>>
>>19359650
Which are you more familiar with? That one will be less spooky.
>>
>>19360009
>" spirits that feed off fear don't thrive in cities"

Really? What makes you say that?

I'd think they'd be missing out on quite an empire of distracted souls to latch onto.

That is, souls that do not realize we come from a Source that transcends the very beings that could attack our emotions, doubt, or fear.
>>
Rural areas are spookier in the /x/ sense, but cities are scarier in the "oh fuck, I'm going to have to shoot that junky" sense. I can't say I've ever really been spooked in a city, I have been in situations where I thought I was going to have to deal with a criminal.

Of course, as other anons have said, certain rural areas, particularly the deserts surrounding Vegas (where I live now), can combine those two aspects in quite unsettling ways. A few months ago, a friend of mine ran across a meth operation while coming back from some offroading after dark. Needless to say, it was pretty alarming. The rural areas are getting worse and worse with the rise of meth and cheap heroin, and the decline of rural economies; for an example, there's been a string of break-in and home invasions, including a break-in at my parent's house, in the area I grew up in.

I suppose I would say that rural areas give me a sense of the sublime, in a Burkean sense, which is rather unsurprising. There's a more persistence (Although, not constant, of course, or I wouldn't enjoy leaving the city) sense of "something dangerous may be here." Cities give me a sense of apathy, and infrequent occasions where there's danger. I still prefer rural areas, to be quite honest.
>>
File: 1496691637001.png (8KB, 218x285px) Image search: [Google]
1496691637001.png
8KB, 218x285px
Rural: more alien abductions and Sasquatches

City: more poltergeist and vampires
>>
>>19359650
In terms of /x/ spookiness, rural areas. I've lived in small towns in northern Canada where, aside from a two lane highway that was your only connection to the rest of the world, you were surrounded by forests for hundreds of kilometers. There's bears, coyotes, and emergency services take hours to reach you (if you can get cell reception), so if something goes wrong out in the bush you better know how to handle it yourself.

With all that said, I'd still rather live in a rural area. I grew up in a city, and being crammed front to back with millions of other people is no way to live. In a rural area you really do have a better sense of community and being surrounded by neighbors. The environment is harsher, but that helps keep people grounded: they have a better sense of what's important they don't sweat the small stuff. Maybe I just fit in with the people around me, I don't know.
>>
>>19359650
In cities you fear humans
In the country you fear the unknown.

It's a matter of preferance, but rural spooks are spookier because I at least know how to kill a human attacker.
>>
File: coming.jpg (307KB, 1059x1600px) Image search: [Google]
coming.jpg
307KB, 1059x1600px
>>19360788
In the country, you fear humans even more. If you bump into a stranger in the middle of nowhere, especially in a forest or the bush, it can spook the fuark out of you.
>>
There ain't many scary movies that start off with a drive into the city. I'll tell you that much
>>
File: IMG_0893.jpg (914KB, 1443x1039px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0893.jpg
914KB, 1443x1039px
>>19359650
The woods is so flooping sploopy anything can goobildy gobble gook the shoop dawhoop out of you out of zoinkswheres
>>
>>19361185
Vamp
Night Of The Comet
>>
>>19359702
The difference is the level of spoopy. Being in a major city after something like the JFK assassination or 9/11 is waaaay scarier than being in the middle of nowhere. It's like Cloverfield Lane vs Cloverfield
>>
rural= ghosts
urban= niggers
>>
Is anyone else really spooped by industrial environments? They make me think of eraserhead
>>
>>19361197
Can I borrow some of your quaaludes?
>>
>>19359764
Woods spook the shit out of me.
In our folklore here, it's said that elves live in the woods in little hills or mounts.
Not Legolas archer faggot elves, but somewhat shortish, beautiful creatures. But they have large holes in their back. Like it's dug out.
They will dance in clearing during full moon, and if you wander across them, the will invite you to join them. It's supposively hard to resist, since they are very serene and beautiful, but if you do start dancing with them, they will take you back to their hill and hold you there forever. You will not die, you will simply be trapped in their world for their own amusement.

They scared the fuck out of me when I was a child
>>
>>19361737
>for their own amusement
Well shit, if you didn't want to amuse them then why did you start dancing with them?
>>
>>19361752
I have never seen them. Just know the stories about them. But yeah, dont know why people would do that. Supposively just very hard to resist them
>>
>>19359810
What is the "pan effect?" Google has yielding nothing but cameras and audio.
>>
>>19359695
this
>>
>>19363352
The god Pan supposedly doesn't like Intruders into his domain and will cause overwhelming dread to drive out Intruders.
>>
Going by Missing 411 logic, supernatural beings tend to live on land that is nore or less untouched like reservations or national parks. Rural a best.
There's also way less traffic, take that city shits.
>>
>>19359650
Cities are scarier, just because there is a lot higher chance that you're gonna to get mugged for your phone.

I'm much more willing to explore rural area's if they're creepy, because I'm less likely to run into feral blacks or something.
>>
I live in the forest. Or a house in a heavily forested area to be more clear. I also commute to the city because you have to do that shit when you live in the woods because you're outside of civilization. In the city, I'm spooped by people. In the forest, I'm spooped by unknown anythings that may be lurking in any bit of darkness. You dont know true darkness until you're in the woods. No light pollution whatsoever. No moonlight that night? Welcome to pitch black and everything in it.
>>
>>19361436
100% truth
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.