[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

SPACE

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 18

File: cosmonaut.jpg (119KB, 960x640px) Image search: [Google]
cosmonaut.jpg
119KB, 960x640px
ITT: Facts and mysteries about space that scare the shit out of you. Dark moments in the history of exploration. Art and artifacts that give you the cosmic spooks.
>>
earth is flat, there is no space.
>>
The Fermi paradox theories scare the shit out of me. For those who don't know; it asks why, in all the probability that there has to be other life in the universe, why we haven't found any yet.

One particular theory, copy/paste from Wikipedia, posits that it is in the nature of intelligent life to destroy itself once it reaches a certain threshold of complexity.

>This is the argument that technological civilizations may usually or invariably destroy themselves before or shortly after developing radio or spaceflight technology. Possible means of annihilation are many,[68] including war, accidental environmental contamination or damage, resource depletion, climate change,[69] or poorly designed artificial intelligence. This general theme is explored both in fiction and in scientific hypothesizing.[70] In 1966, Sagan and Shklovskii speculated that technological civilizations will either tend to destroy themselves within a century of developing interstellar communicative capability or master their self-destructive tendencies and survive for billion-year timescales.[71] Self-annihilation may also be viewed in terms of thermodynamics: insofar as life is an ordered system that can sustain itself against the tendency to disorder, the "external transmission" or interstellar communicative phase may be the point at which the system becomes unstable and self-destructs.
>>
File: star scale.jpg (3MB, 6424x4430px) Image search: [Google]
star scale.jpg
3MB, 6424x4430px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaGEjrADGPA
>>
The sounds of Saturn's rings: https://www.sciencealert.com/nasa-has-recorded-the-first-sounds-of-the-eerie-void-inside-saturn-s-rings
>>
The sounds of Vladimir Komarov, crashing into the earth due to a failed chute and broken equipment: https://youtu.be/3Z_m7onLw74?t=53s
>>
>>19354999
fucking boring, give me something better.
>>
>>19354999
>one of the theories that will never be suggested because it is completely implausible is that people in authority would see this knowledge as infinitely more priceless and powerful than say religous/historical artefacts and hoard it for that simple reason using all the influence they have at their disposal.

Jazzhands.
>>
space isnt real its just a big place to hold us.
>>
File: space_void.jpg (167KB, 450x350px) Image search: [Google]
space_void.jpg
167KB, 450x350px
>>19354985
The Boötes Void
>It has a diameter of 330 million light years, and only 60 galaxies exist in it
>60 galaxies might sound like a lot, but if our galaxy was placed in the middle of it, the sky would be so empty that we wouldn't know about other stars and galaxies until we developed telescopes
>>
File: Apollo 1.jpg (86KB, 630x412px) Image search: [Google]
Apollo 1.jpg
86KB, 630x412px
>>
Heard somewhere that everything in the universe is seemingly being pulled by some unseen force. What could it be?
>>
>>19355566
nice tripdubs! but still, most celestial objects we see are within our galaxy, so a nightsky inside the bootes void might be not that crowded, but you could see at least nearby planets/moonsstars/clusters/nebulars.
>>
There are rumors of lost cosmonauts, the soviets sent a bunch of people into space and they died and are now floating in space forever
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (28KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
28KB, 1280x720px
>>19354999
>>
>>19356268
Dead cosmonaut.
Floating into outer space.
Dead cosmonaut.
Represent the human race.

That's 'dead cosmonaut' off my self titles debut album snakeskin.
>>
>>19354999
The universe is very young and other life forms far away have not evolved to a point where they are at least """"as intelligent""""" as humans, that or they are just too far away.

Spooky subject though
>>
CIA brought in a psychic and gave them coordinates that were located on Mars. The psychic wasn't told the location they wanted discussed was on Mars but they proceeded to describe ancient peoples and other stuff.

https://www.cia.gov/library/readingroom/docs/CIA-RDP96-00788R001900760001-9.pdf
>>
>>19355566
>The KBC Void, named after astronomers Ryan Keenan, Amy Barger, and Lennox Cowie who first inferred its existence in 2013, is an immense, comparatively empty region of space that contains the Milky Way itself, the Local Group and much of the Laniakea Supercluster. This void is roughly spherical, approximately 2 billion light years (600 megaparsecs) in diameter, with the Milky Way within a few hundred million light years of its centre. The KBC void is the largest supervoid known to science.
>>
i dont want this thread to die
>>
>>19356395
Serious bump niggas
>>
>>19355072
I've stared at this comment for 5 minutes now, and I can't for the life of me understand what you tried to say...
>>
>>19356259
the jews
>>
>>19356295
Yes! I love these!
>>
File: 1405765856572.jpg (59KB, 441x539px) Image search: [Google]
1405765856572.jpg
59KB, 441x539px
>>19354990

That is a Lie the Demiurge tells you to keep you a dumb, ignorant slave.
>>
>>19355005
>minecraft world
Lmao
>>
>>19356363
Huh, I guess I were misinformed. Also potential explanation as to why we haven't made any contact with extraterrestrial life yet?
>>
>>19354990
/thread
>>
>>19356670
nah, just look at our supercluster, it's very crowded within that space in our void. we're talking about distances that would not matter if we are in a void or not.
>>
>>19356514
the first thing you'll notice is that the money is being pulled out of your wallet by mysterious forces
>>
>>19356295

Remote viewers and psychics are completely different.
>>
>>19356259

Its gravity.
>>
>>19354999
because aliens are fallen angels. they are not from Earth like planet blah blah blah...the Bible is true. Honestly thats scarier than anything else...
>>
File: 1285179178818.jpg (261KB, 842x1068px) Image search: [Google]
1285179178818.jpg
261KB, 842x1068px
Is it time to embrace the void?
>>
File: 1492475190877.jpg (385KB, 811x1253px) Image search: [Google]
1492475190877.jpg
385KB, 811x1253px
>>19354985
Here is wallpaper version
>>
>>19354985
what was the thing about Belial being dead and something on earth replacing him?
>>
>>19354985
http://perdurabo10.tripod.com/id1173.html
>>
File: red-dragon-of-revelation.jpg (39KB, 640x399px) Image search: [Google]
red-dragon-of-revelation.jpg
39KB, 640x399px
this thing that is censored by some Sites for no known reason
>>
>>19354999
I've always thought that was kinda bogus desu, first you would need a planet to develop life, then complex life, then intelligent life. With natural destruction considered it seems reasonable that many lifeforms on the way to intelligence would die in their infancy.
>>
>>19356363
Whoa, do we know what's beyond it?
Is it possible that this void is all "space" is?
>>
>>19356294
we are alone
>>
That we live in a massive, potentially infinite universe and yet it's highly unlikely we will ever explore past our own solar system
>>
I'm less spooked about the alone theory than I am by the idea that we are extremely NOT alone, but knowledge of the potential hundreds of races of aliens, and events, and situations, happening between humans and aliens is being kept from the general populace by certain (people). And it will remain that way likely until that knowledge is grabbed forcefully.
>>
>>19354990
fpbp
>>
The dark forest theory

https://philosophy.stackexchange.com/questions/18127/dark-forest-postulate-used-to-explain-the-fermi-paradox
>>
>>19359075
man of all the cool alien races we could have been born into we had to be born with this retard species
>>
>>19356514
It's true, my friend Moishe goes and does a shift at the edge of the universe every Thursday, it's a big fishing rod they clinch the edge of the big bluish black thing.
>>
>>19354985
i have a math degree and its not so hard to believe. we really dont know how everything originated or how life starts, so if space is near infinite the probability of running into intelligent life is relatively low.
>>
>>19354999
wow lol actually read the wiki and its complete bullshit.
>>
everyone should read this wiki:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_the_far_future

"10^{10^{10^{56}}}[b] Around this vast timeframe, quantum tunnelling in any isolated patch of the vacuum could generate, via inflation, new Big Bangs giving birth to new universes.[102]
Because the total number of ways in which all the subatomic particles in the observable universe can be combined is {\displaystyle 10^{10^{115}}} 10^{10^{115}},[103][104] a number which, when multiplied by {\displaystyle 10^{10^{10^{56}}}} 10^{10^{10^{56}}}, disappears into the rounding error, this is also the time required for a quantum-tunnelled and quantum fluctuation-generated Big Bang to produce a new universe identical to our own, assuming that every new universe contained at least the same number of subatomic particles and obeyed laws of physics within the range predicted by string theory.[105]"
>>
>>19356222
God that's got to be one of the worst ways to die, trapped in a tin can with two friends has you burn alive and your suit melts onto your body.
>>
>>19359062
It's not really that unlikely, you don't really need much more technology than we have now (I'm talking tech we actually know about here not some secret bullshit) it's would just take time and risk.

We are to cowardly to send a nuclear powered generation ship out to the stars though
>>
>>19358837
>Is it possible that this void is all "space" is?
no, because we can watch the universe beyond that void.
>>
>>19359004
i thought about it a lot and read various comments and opinions on this and my personal conclusion ist, that we are not alone in this universe but most likely will never meet anyone else. to form life like we know it on earth you need:

>a star that is not too big or too hot or too small or too cold
>a reasonable sizes rock planet within a certain range of it's sun, so water won't vaporize or freeze, with no other major objects within a certain range
>one (!) moon, tidal locked
>planets like jupiter that "inhase" most of the "cosmic bombing" in forms of asteroids
>generally a nice and quiet spot in the galaxy, not disturbed by supernovae or gamma rae bursts - or other celestial objects that might interfere with your system, like rouge planets, nebulars and so on
>at least millions of years of undisturbed developement of life to get pass basic bacteria, something i believe is very common in the universe
why this list? because it works. it's the best case scenario known to mankind for developing higher forms of life. maybe there are other ways and places different to us, but we don't know (yet). so, if you add all of this, i guess we have about five higher civilisations within a single galaxy compareable to the milky way (starburst galaxys will probably develope no planetary systems that can develope higher forms of life). some of them might be technologically ahead of us, because they never had extinction events like earth had, others might be still living in caves.

sadly, i don't believe we will never know.
>>
>>19359432
>We are to cowardly to send a nuclear powered generation ship out to the stars though
it would just not make any sense right now. where would you want to send it? we don't know any planet that is proofen to habitate life as we know it, just suspected. and even if so, the ship would be on it's way so long that we would never hear back of them, we would never know if they ever reached their destination or just killed themselves in a civil war 300 years after the launch - or probably the planet was picked wrongly.

i'm all in for space exploration, but the more realistic scenario is seen in shows like "the expanse". as long as we don't use up the space we have within our solar system we don't need to even think about leaving the sun.
>>
>>19359479
i'm sorry for the typos, english is not my first language and i'm very tired right now.
>>
>>19358837
>Galaxies inside the void experience gravitational pull from matter outside the void, yielding a larger value for the Hubble constant.

Plus we can see stuff that's clearly outside of the void
>>
>>19354985

It is called The Great Filter

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Filter
>>
File: future evolution.jpg (35KB, 260x330px) Image search: [Google]
future evolution.jpg
35KB, 260x330px
>>19359492
I think you would really like the book Future Evolution.
>>
>>19357467
No it is time to charge the void
>>
>>19356281
..is it on itunes? ide buy it
>>
File: IMG_20170530_193438_358.jpg (154KB, 728x836px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170530_193438_358.jpg
154KB, 728x836px
>>19358708
This thing kinda spoops me out. It looks brutal
>>
>>19360104
thank you anon, i'm going to look into it.
>>
File: 636x460design_01.jpg (175KB, 636x460px) Image search: [Google]
636x460design_01.jpg
175KB, 636x460px
In 1976, Cosmonaut Nikolai Peckmann was sent alone to an orbiting space station for what would be called Mission Six- to study the radiation levels and strange circumstances that killed all four crewmen of the last research mission. By the third day, Peckmann’s broken transmissions were coming back to ground control filled with increasing paranoia and delusion. He claimed that the spirits of the dead cosmonauts were coming to claim him, and that he had to keep moving to evade them. He shouted that if he could capture consume these spirits himself while he still had strength, he could move to the next level of consciousness…Truly the rantings of an insane man. Indeed, video recovered later would show Peckmann running around the confined but maze-like station, downing emergency sedatives like a madman….pausing in a corner momentarily, only to throw back vitamin pills and give chase to his invisible demons. He had exhausted the entire cargo of vitamins, pills, and fresh fruit well ahead of schedule…It was determined that another mission to recover any remains or gather any more research would be a waste of the people’s money, and the station was allowed to drift out of orbit and into space- a failure never to be mentioned again.
>>
>>19360817
Nice hahaha
>>
>>19355046
you clearly don't understand it. It's far from boring.
>>
File: 25c.jpg (46KB, 484x417px) Image search: [Google]
25c.jpg
46KB, 484x417px
>>19354985
>cosmic spooks.
>>
File: ms pacman.jpg (16KB, 233x239px) Image search: [Google]
ms pacman.jpg
16KB, 233x239px
>>19360817
You forgot to mention the part where Nikolai Peckmann ran around in drag.
>>
>>19358640
i'm interested in this
>>
File: 1501217268762.gif (505KB, 417x465px) Image search: [Google]
1501217268762.gif
505KB, 417x465px
>>19358708
>>
>>19360104
Fun book. Love Peter Ward.

Biggest criticisms though is that I feel he underestimates both genetic engineering and A.I.. I agree with his notion that humans will die with earth, but I struggle to think we cannot design humans or machines that are spacefaring.
>>
>>19363655
Agreed. I don't think we will ever become interstellar in that humans will travel from star to star within their lifetime. I think our best bet is to send seed ships with frozen embryos and AI to judge environments and start terraforming when a suitable planet is found.

Earth civs will not survive the death of the sun, but humans just might. Still, if I can live to see asteroid farming I'll be happy.
>>
>>19356259
Dark matter. Still a theory but experiments are being conducted to prove it's existence but not at CERN.
>>
>>19358708
It's Jupiter you and you can play around with different survey options in the NASA's SkyView page and make it look like so many things. The exact one combination, I can't remember right now, shows the planet big enough to confirm it
Thread posts: 74
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.