[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Herumph

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: oh boi.jpg (71KB, 441x800px) Image search: [Google]
oh boi.jpg
71KB, 441x800px
So, if we live in a contained observation chamber, a virtual reality, are already dead or being mentally manipulated as we speak: Do my thoughts matter. Not just in that nihilistic sort of: "all must end and you are an insignificant speck in the mass of the universe" but more of a "Does anything I create, achieve or help in doing so matter. Do Ayn Rand's books still have to mean because they can touch someone's heart and teach them something? Does the grapes of wrath still have significants because it teaches of our history and is a gloriously detailed and tasteful read. Is all of that real, or is it fake and jaded because it's all someone else's idea or it's been done before?

I don't know if I can properly convey this question properly, but I am trying my best. I only ask if you could do the same for me.
>>
>>19347854
Most people's thoughts, feelings, opinions and beliefs don't matter to anyone else. This is good and right. Your ability to think is crucial to your own existence because having anyone else think for you would strictly take more resources and be less meaningful. They don't have to mean more than you make them mean, and that makes them useful to you.
>>
So you are saying that our thoughts should matter to us and that it doesn't matter if they are influential but rather if they permeate our own development and growth? Please correct me if I am wrong.

But what of people who believe we are in a matrix sort of virtual reality or those that believe there are aliens and extra-dimensional beings who can sublty control or change our current thoughts to help them in the grand scheme of things? If these thoughts are not my own then what do I do with them? Toss them aside like garbage? Do I use them and forever worry that I am merely another pawn, that what I do is not actually me but subtle electro-shocks that control my very thought process and therefore what I create is instead what another created for me?

I don't know.
>>
Shameless bump
>>
I don't really like to debate, so let's not. I will say that there are containers that have holes. You can put fish in one after all, but I understand what you're trying to say. I don't know, why not add what you think? Do our thoughts matter?
>>
>>19347928
>if they permeate our own development and growth
Correct.
>Toss them aside like garbage
>use them and forever worry
Do you do that with your own thoughts? I've had millions of thoughts over the course of my lifetime. There are definitely thoughts I've had, thought that genuinely came from me, that I tossed out like garbage just as there are things that worry me to this day. One little, two little, ten little intrusive thoughts mean nothing. People deal with their entire upbringing being willful and intentional brainwashing by their parents or their nation-state and they *still* find a way to overcome their beliefs and defect. Someone trying to control us by the most fleeting parts of our lives is wasting both their time and ours.

To think, it precisely the ability to overcome all the other thoughts you've had to deal with in your life, whether it was ideas others explicitly present to you or an impression you derived yourself. You can overcome it, and that means more than each of the thoughts that led up to you overcoming it.
>>
Thank you, you don't know what you've done for me. Perhaps not permanent but I feel as if I have put my heart to rest.
>>
I don't know. Perhaps, I am just being too emotion these days.
>>
>>19348165
>Perhaps not permanent
Hopefully not! Never lose your ability to learn and think and grow. Permanence is cancer.
>>
But is cancer not just cells that want to do their own thing? I am reading too far into that, sorry. I hope it's a permanent irradification of my fears of not being me.
>>
>>19348250
You have those fears for a reason. Maybe it was your own idea, maybe it was implanted somehow.

But no matter where it came from, the idea affects you more than it does the rest of us, for whatever reason. Maybe the degree to which you're able to remain coherent while pondering this is a degree that would give anyone else a crippling existential crisis/anxiety attack. Maybe you're destined to discover things about identity, affirmations that no mind could ever fathom that will uplift the rest of us and make enlightenment more accessible. Maybe you, alone, can face the fears that the rest of us quite literally can't stomach.

I'm not saying that's how it is, just musing about reasons that that fear could be a good thing to work through under your own reasoning. I do hope I've helped alleviate your fears some, but I respect individuality as an idea far more than I do the comforts my perspective might provide. Don't take even fear as permanent.
>>
Thank you. you know, for all the hate and concern I get for being on 4chan because the people are 'bafoons' and 'trolls', you have all seemed very kind and helpful.

I take from what you have written: "These fears are because you may be but it's important that you use them to overcome them and help others step to join you" sort of like someone who has survive drug addiction and grown stronger for it, helping others do the same.

But I am young, and my mind struggles with these complex emotions and feelings and it's like I am thrown in a cage far too small for me. I do not know how to deal with it and it's scary for that. Because no one has the answers it's all the more horrifying that I am basically cursed to suffer through these worries that I am not my own person in some sense.

Thank you, your efforts are valiant and may hold power yet.
>>
>>19348322
There are healthy and unhealthy ways to overcome fear. Self-discovery can be a lonely thing, sometimes, but everyone struggles with trying to understand who they really are. The people and forces that try to make that any harder than it already is are evil, but it's the fact that the most they can do is try to manipulate us at our weakest, when the most fleeting parts of ourselves (our thoughts) are most influential, that lets us know that even evil is incapable of ruining us. For awhile you might hate it, you might want to destroy it, or feed it a dose of its own medicine at times, but this is unnecessary. Nothing hurts evil quite like a healthy dose of pity does.

Don't fight the idea that you are you; you couldn't take a wrong turn if you tried.
>>
Sorry, But I am going to bump this.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.