[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Overrated and underrated horror films

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 1

File: noroi-the-curse-1.jpg (78KB, 1068x601px) Image search: [Google]
noroi-the-curse-1.jpg
78KB, 1068x601px
I'll start.

Overrated: Noroi (the curse)

Imma tryin be honest and not troll. I simply did not find this scary at all. I found it boring and -- at times -- unsettling. The fact that some consider this GOAT is bizarre. Alas, it seems possible the movie is simply outdated. Had I watched it back in 2007, before all these shitty found footage films, I may have found it scary. Also, that autist in the tinfoil was to much.

Underrated: 1408

Wow. What a spooky film. It seems no one talks about this on here. Cusack is brilliant, Samuel L. Jackson is fantastic, great plot, excellent cinematography. This is prolly my favorite horror film OAT.
>>
Ok, I'll go again: Babadook. Wow. Now, talk about a shit-tier movie. Nothing really to say. This is Pollack-tier dogshit. Absolutely horrible movie.
>>
>>19329536
>Pollack-tier dogshit

?
>>
>>19329541
Sorry, Pollock. As in, if you were duped into thinking this was a good film you also would likely be duped into thinking cia-funded Jackson Pollock was a good artist.
>>
>>19329491
It works as a pseudo-documentary.
>>
>>19329559
Right, and I think if I thought there was even a chance this was a real documentary I would have been spooped, as I was with paranormal activity. But, those days are long gone and this movie didn't even sort of scare me.
>>
overrated: the conjuring movies, babadook, shining (fell asleep to this one), cabin in the woods, suspiria, texas chainsaw massacre, halloween, friday the thirteenth (really, all slashers are garbage)

underrated: the innocents, changeling, exorcist III
>>
>>19329572
Meh, you got to find your own scary shit.
>>
>>19329577
I agree, but I can often appreciate films that I don't find scary, but are of high quality. I'm a paranormal guy, but I can enjoy and appreciate a slasher if it's done right.

>shining
Watch it again. You're crazy
>cabin in the woods
dumb and terrible
>texas chainsaw massacre
Classic. Don't get this
>Halloween
Not scary, per se, but really good movies.
>>
Overrated: Agreed on Noroi...not scary, badly acted, dumb story

Underrated: Cure by Kiyoshi Kurosawa....it's not scary, so don't go into thinking you'll jump out of your seat. It is haunting though.
>>
>>19329599
If you actually get scared by horror films, then 4chan may not be the right place for you.

>Texas Chainsaw Massacre
There's a few intentional and also unintentional comedic parts that make the film good. But it's shit most of the time. Its dialogue is very minimalistic and super repetitive. Still unsure if they intentionally made the wheelchair guy annoying as fuck, and his sister a bitch.
The "scary sounds" are nothing more than psycho shit that, especially nowadays, is outdated as fuck and more annoying than disturbing.

You know, she runs away from Leatherface at night for 10 minutes straight. Constant screaming. It's very comedic and likely intentional.

>The Shining is scary
lolwut. Yeah, similiar to TCM, if you lived around that time perhaps. Or if you're underage.

>Halloween
>good movieS
The sequel isn't much better than the first one and leaves a lot to desire. Halloween 3 is actually better than it as it's a much more entertaining and straight-forward horror story. It's basically Goosebumps with gore.

>Paranormal Activity is scary
You are either underage or highly emotional. Given you are on /x/, I find the latter highly likely. This would explain why you believe in paranormal shit in the first place.
>>
>>19329611
>If you actually get scared by horror films, then 4chan may not be the right place for you.

everybody stay back, we got an edgelord in the vicinity
>>
>>19329614
Oh fuck off, 4chan constantly posts gore and the like on most of its boards. How can you bear that and yet get scared by cheesy horror films. It just means you lose yourself into something, i. e. a movie, and get highly emotionaly by it. And that just shows you're a retard who belongs to /x/
>>
>>19329627
>gets called an edgelord
>doubles down on being an edgelord
>>
>>19329611
>If you actually get scared by horror films, then 4chan may not be the right place for you.
If you don't get scared/pooped/uneasy from watching horror films, why do you watch them?

>lolwut. Yeah, similiar to TCM, if you lived around that time perhaps. Or if you're underage.
Actually, the shining was so far ahead of its time it really doesn't seem dated. I watched it recently, and could have bought it was made in the early 2000s. And yea, it's spoopy and brilliant. If you don't think so, you're simply a pleb and an idiot.

>You are either underage or highly emotional. Given you are on /x/, I find the latter highly likely. This would explain why you believe in paranormal shit in the first place.
The question is what in the world you're doing on /x/?
>>
Overrated: The Conjuring
I know this board considers it very mainstream and uninteresting. But outside of 4chan it was very very popular and that makes no sense. It is not scary and contributes nothing new.

Underrated: The Collector and The Collection.
These movies are nasty, oppressive, excessively bloody, go further than Saw dared to in some respects, has an implacable psychopathic killer with diverse interests and protagonists that you root for. And a very interesting ending.
>>
>>19329635
Horror can be entertaining, it's not much different from watching Thriller. "being scared" isn't the only reason people watch such movies. They can be quite interesting, even if most of them suffer by being fucking cheap.

>Shining isn't dated
I never said it was. But it's not actually scary in any way. Its atmosphere is tense and "frightening", moreso than anything. Surely you can add the chase scenes as well, but then you can add many chase scenes from Thriller et al as well. It just means you get scared easily, that is it.

>pleb
Great, I spotted the guy who uses memes. Try to avoid using such terms.

>what are you doing on /x/
Not a lot, most of the time retards spout retarded shit about ghosts and aliens and then say "u dont belong" when all they want to hear is fictional or schizophrenic bullshit instead of facts or any of that.
It's much more interesting and fun to see what actually could be real instead of making themselves believe that everything in this world exists because of bigfoot.
>>
>>19329627
>Oh fuck off, 4chan constantly posts gore and the like on most of its boards.
I don't go to boards where gore is posted. Also, I don't find gore scary. Disturbing? Yes. Scary? no. it's entirely different emotion.
>>
>>19329648
>Horror can be entertaining
Yea, the entertainment comes from the fear/dread/suspense/unease etc.

>I never said it was.
Yea you did
>if you lived around that time perhaps

>Surely you can add the chase scenes as well, but then you can add many chase scenes from Thriller et al as well. It just means you get scared easily, that is it.
Nah, they don't compare to the chase scenes in Shining. Extra spoops because it's daddy x mommy and son.

>Great, I spotted the guy who uses memes. Try to avoid using such terms.
Get over yourself. You're on 4chan, faggot.

>what actually could be real
For example?
>>
>>19329667
Most people don't find Shining scary. Most teenagers don't even find it scary. It's a good movie, but that doesn't mean it has to horrify you.
It's a scary movie for you, yes, but not for most people. I never said otherwise.

Entertainment does not need to come from fear. Suspense is not the same as being frightened. Suspense can be something different altogether.
Entertainment can come from it simply being interesting, or fun to watch. People love slashers. Because people get killed in various ways while a superhuman killer akin to a supervillain kills them one by one. Some love it because it scares them, others just love it because it's really satisfying to watch. etc
Don't be so fucking stubborn on this.

>for example?
No example given, I am jus saying this board is retarded beyond belief because of their constant desire to make everything supernatural.
>>
>>19329684
Also, I am saying that Shining AS A MOVIE is not dated. It fucking is as a horror film. This is like saying "Nosferatu isn't dated" because you get scared by it.
>>
Shining (the novel) was such a disappointment after reading through IT and Rose Madder right before it. Any legit good King recommends for me?
>>
>Films without monsters
>Scary
lmao
Any time I'm watching a horror, as soon as I find out it's some shitty human going around killing people I immediately lose interest. That shit isn't scary under any circumstances.

Modern day horrors are also trash. You wanna know where the real gold lies these days? Short horrors. Shorts horrors are doing what the big budget trash we have now cannot do.
Things like Paranormal activity, sinister, the conjuring, and every other movie of that ilk are straight up laughable. They fail at suspense and when you do see the 'creature' they're fucking laughable.
>>
>>19329747
>You wanna know where the real gold lies these days? Short horrors. Shorts horrors are doing what the big budget trash we have now cannot do

this
>>
>>19329611
>>19329648
>>19329684
I agree with you at least anon
>>
>>19329747
Care to provide some examples and/or links?
>>
>>19329747
>monsters being scary
the only horror movies that have a possibility of scaring me are ones wherein realistic, disturbing things happen.
>>
>>19329491
>Noroi is teh suck
Ok, I completely disagree, but let's see what he considers a good horror movie
>1408 is gr8!
Yeah, you're a fucking idiot.
>>
>>19329768
I can indeed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jr2HsJnPc8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WOYI7lVbXQ
>>
>>19329768
Well, this was stellar. https://youtu.be/-fDzdDfviLI
>>
>>19329627
Good horror is scarier than random gore posts on /x/, anon. What's wrong with losing yourself in a film?
>>
>>19329648
>But it's not actually scary in any way. Its atmosphere is tense and "frightening", moreso than anything.

Surely that's an argument over semantics, though? Frightening IS scary for some people.
>>
>>19329775
What didn't you like about 1408?
>>
>>19329768
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKQpG7EjXsg

not that scary, but kinda spoopy
>>
>>19329816
Atmosphere =/= actions
Actions are intense, atmosphere is subtle. Me using "frightening" instead of "scary" was just me being tired of the same word.

>>19329809
Nothing's wrong with it. But the guy is overly emotional about everything scaring him and saying that they are all very scary movies. For him, yeah, but he should understand why. And what the norm is. And how most people think. Or that his opinion also is not any better than others as he tried to make it out to be spouting disliking a movie would make you a "pleb" or an idiot when personal taste is not the same as a more objective view on things in the first place.
>>
OVERRATED: The VVitch
Just a nothing. Not scary. Great acting, fine filmmaking. Never scary.

UNDERRATED: The Saw films.
Yes yes, I know. But pain is scary, and cruelty is scary. The scenery, aesthetics and the convoluted schemes are interesting and there is tension.
>>
>>19329850
>But the guy is overly emotional about everything scaring him and saying that they are all very scary movies
I'm not. I agreed with you on all but 3. TCM, Shining and Halloween. 3 of the best horror flicks ever made.

>>19329856
I thought the witch was bretty good, actually. Didn't think i would like it, wound up enjoying it. Need to watch with subs.

>Saw
I've been meaning to go back and watch these. Never got into them as a kid.
>>
>>19329871
>I've been meaning to go back and watch these. Never got into them as a kid.

None of the Saw movies are very good but the effort is there and some of the traps are intelligent. They definitely offer more of a thrill than most horror movies that played in theaters, but they never really managed to find interesting actors.
>>
it follows. what a shitty and overrated movie
>>
>>19329732
I have read a bunch of his novelams, but think only a few are really good. Hearts in Atlantis, and Duma Key are probably his best offerings for good writinf, and Duma Key is got some very creepy ideas and themes. I think Stephen King has a great feel for things that scare peopke, but it can get lost in his style of writing. Sometimes he just described these things too much.
I like some of the books in the Dark Tower series, mostly the first, and the Wizard and the Glass. The first being a hard sell because I read it immediately after reading Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy which has to be the most brutal, and best Western novel ever written with some supernatural elements hinted at, but never made conclusive.
>>
>>19329491
1408 is awful, what are you talking about? If I want a shite version of the shining I'll watch the sfyfy series
>>
>>19329551

>CIA funded Pollack

You've got your conspiracy theory all mixed up, friend. There was speculation that the CIA was interested in pop art, not abstracts, as a means of promoting capitalism during the Cold War. Think Warhol, not piss paints
>>
>>19329985
>CIA funded Pollack
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/modern-art-was-cia-weapon-1578808.html
>>
>>19329856
I think the VVitch is a great movie, but yeah, not that scary at all. Maybe a bit unsettling if you grew up catholic, I think it does a fine job in capturing the feeling of having to be religious because your parents/community are, the sense of oppression, the confusion when every sexual feeling you might start to have is deemed evil.. it was overall very well made
>>
›1408
the first half of the movie is fucking fantastic, then it all falls appart as soon as the axe guy appears. Then it suddently becomes not spoopy.
>>
I prefer the Insidious films to The Conjuring films
>>
>>19330419
Both series rely too much on musical changes and rote jump scares. But Insidious had a delightful callback in the 2nd film to spoops in the first, so it wins in terms of filmcraft.
>>
>>19329576
>suspiria
nah fuck you man, one of my all time faves. it's mostly about the aesthetics when it comes to his movies, super scary, no. Great atmosphere that makes you nervous and beautiful colours and death, yes.
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.