[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Actual academic information on hermetics and other occult teachings

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_5160.jpg (904KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5160.jpg
904KB, 3264x2448px
Hey /x/. I am interested in getting into Hermeticism and occultism etc, but aside from the "recommended literature" from that people online tell me I should read, I am having trouble finding anything on it besides people on YouTube and new agey type websites.
In other words, nothing academic on the history of it or anything criticizing it, just more people rephrasing the same teachings.
I've read the Corpus Hermeticum and the Kybalion and I've researched what other books I should get, but generally anything that claims to be taken this seriously or has been around for this long will have things written on it aside from just more sources backing it up.
In short, some critical literature or ANYTHING of remotely academic nature on the subject would help legitimize it for me.
>>
>>19313349
If the Emerald Tablet of Hermes and Corpus Hermeticum didn't straighten it out for ya, idk what will. Also, if you didn't notice discrepancies between the so called "Hermetic" teachings of the Kybalion and the Corpus Hermeticum, you probably aren't ready to move onto commentaries on Hermeticism, yet.
>>
>>19313349
You will never find "actual academic information" on the subject. It's not science it's mysticism. Plain and simple. You won't find a scientific research paper on the stuff because it is not of that nature.

Mysticism schools and such are for spiritual growth. Spiritual growth and gained wisdom cannot be measured and replicated through controlled experiments.

Don't confuse the two.
>>
>>19313372
That doesn't mean there haven't been anthropological and other sorts of academic investigations into them.
>>
>>19313375
You're right.
My apologies, coming from an engineering background my first thought after "Actual academic information" was scientific papers.

I'm sure there's good academic papers from the anthropology and religious studies backgrounds.
>>
Start with the greeks.
>>
>>19313387
Yeah, I don't mean "science" persay, just a research or history paper or some such thing analyzing it.

It's not that I need "someone smarter than me" to say it's all true or something, it's just that in my experience something like this would have a ton of analysis done on it from multiple viewpoints. But haven't been able to find anything of that nature. Maybe I just haven't read the right books yet.

And sorry if I'm approaching all this the wrong way, I'm pretty new to this kind of thing
>>
>>19313387
No need to apologize. It just really depends on what the anon means in asking for "anything of a remotely academic nature." I would argue the Corpus Hermetic IS of an academic nature. But again, if they didn't notice that the Kybalion directly contradicts Corpus Hermeticum (which is likely, since they refer to both as "Hermetic" as if they are harmonious), they probably didn't read too carefully to begin with.
>>
>>19313407
I will admit that I gave both of them a cursory reading, it's all just stemmed from curiosity at this point anyway. I just mean a commentary or something written by someone who's done legitimate research
>>
>>19313420
Stephen Skinner or Jake Stratton Kent might have something. I know Skinner has excellent commentaries on the Greek Magical Payri.
>>
File: 11872.jpg (118KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
11872.jpg
118KB, 1280x720px
>>19313349
http://www.sunypress.edu/Searchadv.aspx?IsSubmit=true&CategoryID=7006&pagenum=1&groupnow=1

http://www.brill.com/publications/aries-book-series

Everything by him:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wouter_Hanegraaff
>>
>>19313442
>>19313451
Thanks anons

And thanks for everyone's patience with my uninformed inquiries
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.