[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any of you guys ever been surrounded by reductionist science

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: 1467160896152.jpg (210KB, 1600x1295px) Image search: [Google]
1467160896152.jpg
210KB, 1600x1295px
Any of you guys ever been surrounded by reductionist science types (a ala dawkins) and ridiculed for expressing "esoteric" concepts?

It happened to me today
>talking with co-workers about the future of the internet
>me: " so instead of a collective unconscious the inevitable result of the evolution of the internet will be sort of a collective conciousness"
>co-worker: " collective unconcious? wtf is that? did you just pull that out of your ass? we're just talking about the internet you wierdo!"
>feel insulted

I shouldn't give a shit what anyone thinks of me but sometimes I do.
>>
>>19289737
Tell them they need to learn about the latest advances in String Theory and Quantum Fields
>>
They're right, that doesn't make sense and wouldn't be applicable to future technology
>>
>>19289737
4chan already serves as a cultural collective unconscious. /pol/ in particular is the very definition of the shadow. I think you were on the right track. Who cares what they think.
>>
>>19289737

People are going to believe and act as the want, regardless of what anyone else says or does. Make peace with that or life is going to be very unpleasant for you. The more you learn about yourself, and existence, the greater the divide between yourself and civilians. Candor is nigh impossible, because more often than not people need to be led by the nose so that the come to understand what you communicate.
>>
>>19289831
>civilians
whoa I'm not trying elevate myself above anyone else, just want to have a simple conversation without the insults
>>
>>19289737
Well, I like to think about it this way: they are living with a lot of limitations (personal, intellectual, etc etc) as a result of scientific fundamentalism, whereas you are not. If you're benefiting from your "esoteric" knowledge more than they re, you get the last laugh
>>
>>19289851
I like to think that if someone is happy with their paradigm they have every right to just stay inside it. Life is too short to keep arguing. I guess...I dunno anymore....
>>
>>19289737

Your co-worker is a skep-dick dumb fuck anon. That new class of social media born pseudo rationalist, who read a Dawkins book, and if they are not being spoon feed a scientific fact, theory, etc, by approved media, automatically dismiss it while ridiculing the discussion of, or further legitimate, scientific exploration for further facts to guide better testable hypothesis being put forward. These are also the people who will get into arguments with you over aesthetics either being

a.) of no value as they are beyond the scientific method's ability to measure and repeat experiments on.

b.) able to be scientifically measured, and have repeatable experiments performed on, via provable hypothesis.... Which is completely fucking nonsensical.

Also, tell your co-worker Carl Jung was writing about the possibility of a collective unconscious in very concrete and scientific terms a long time ago, and that many researchers are still exploring that as a legitimate possibility.

Bottom line, your co-worker is a dumb fuck, and a dismissive one at that. IT sucks you are stuck in the Hell that is the modern work place where his shitty personality trait can have negative impact on you. Best to just not interact directly with him, unless you have to. And then just assume he'll be a sabotaging shithead, who has an ego driven compulsion to be the smartest person in the room, even when he is a moron.
>>
>>19289873
lol I'm 34 and he's 20, just wanted to throw that out there
>>
>>19289873
>>19289888
The fact that he can't see your correlation between Jung and the internet means he is not very well read.
The internet is in many ways like the collective unconscious or a latent bed of information accessible to most. If your not in a 3rd world shit whole or fucking retarded.
>>
https://youtu.be/FvgmyaSTosg
>>
>>19289737
I don't think you can could call anything you'd learn in a freshman-level college course esoteric. At most you could say it might not be common knowledge.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.