[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Total Number of Souls in Universe

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 4

File: reincarnation.jpg (246KB, 1600x791px) Image search: [Google]
reincarnation.jpg
246KB, 1600x791px
What is the total number of souls in the universe?

Just a few choices to get you started:
>1
>2
>infinity

I'm curious to know what you think
>>
>>19288143
I would say a lot, I'm not sure how much "a lot" is though. I want to say trillions but could be a lot more.

I attribute souls to more than just humans, probably a finite amount
>>
>>19288155
do you believe in reincarnation?
Or one soul = one life?
>>
>>19288143
I think we can narrow it down to zero or one
>>
>>19288169
i left zero out of the OP because like even if all of use lifeforms are soulless, surely the universe itself would count as one soul?
>>
>>19288175
yep

or there's two, but it goes on a subjective basis. Onesself and the Other
>>
>>19288143

Zero.

>>19288175

No. We're simply an infinite chain of interactions and reactions. Soul is a delusion for those who are slaves to their ego.
>>
>>19288175
It's rather arbitrary to label the universe itself a soul, isn't it?
>>
>>19288181
the Other is a pretty cool guy. i like him.
>>19288188
>>19288190
I think if we're gonna say that *we* don't have souls then we have to say what a soul is (as opposed to "just" a conscious stream of experience)
>>
Also I'd love to hear from someone who thinks they know the exact number > 3
Christians? I'm lookin at you
>>
>>19288195
A soul is an eternal conscious experience. For the universe to have a soul, it must be eternal and capable of experiencing itself. If nothing else has a soul, then none of the universe's conscious experiences are eternal and therefore the universe is soulless. However, if anything else has a soul, then the universe itself contains eternal conscious experience within itself, and therefore is soulled.
>>
>>19288229
>eternal conscious experience
>must be eternal
Why this? What would you call a conscious experience that only lasts for a limited time?

Also, couldn't a universe with no conscious experiencers inside it still experience itself?
>>
Recarnation and unlimted souls

Some souls can be older than other while ''new souls'' are being born
>>
>>19288294
if souls can start existing when they didn't before, do souls ever cease existing?
>>
File: whatsthissay.jpg (38KB, 750x490px) Image search: [Google]
whatsthissay.jpg
38KB, 750x490px
>>19288143
Define soul.

>>19288229
>A soul is an eternal conscious experience
Zero.

Next thread.
>>
>>19288313
>eternal
arbitrary requirement
>>
>>19288143
its 1, 0 and infinity all simultaneously
>>
>>19288324
can you try to use words to approximate an explanation for that?
>>
>>19288318
>arbitrary requirement
Any definition of soul is arbitrary, anon.

If you have a different definition for soul then the answer is different. I'm not interested in debating the definition of a term that has no accepted meaning. Define souls for me and I'll tell you how many of them I believe exist.
>>
>>19288341
Instances of consciousnesses.
>>
>>19288341
just the same as you said but count the ones that only exist for limited time too
>>
>>19288345
this, except, could a single experiencer have multiple instances of consciousness? if so, then 1 soul = 1 experiencer.
something to think about.
>>
File: 96.jpg (155KB, 591x850px) Image search: [Google]
96.jpg
155KB, 591x850px
>>19288143
There's two. When they finally meet its gg.
>>
>>19288351
Uh, no?
Consciousness is what I assume you're experiencing right now. The best way to describe it is thusly:

You don't feel like a robot, you feel as though you have actual control and free will, even though you don't, and you're experiencing everything. It's a weird concept.

How could you have multiple instances of consciousness?

Just be aware by instances I mean beings with consciousness, e.g. humans, pets, other beings on other worlds
>>
>>19288345
>>19288346
define consciousness
>>
>>19288143
>Gaudiya Vaishnava perspective
Just one universe? Uncountable but limited. Every human, every plant, every animal, every microorganism, every lifeform is an embodied soul. Like trying to figure out how many grains of sand are on the Earth. There is an exact number, but it is a changing number, and practically impossible to determine.

Total number of souls is infinite.

>>19288229
The universe is like a body; it is material energy with Garbhodakasayi Vishnu pervading it and providing an energizing principle.

>has a soul
Material energy does not "have" a soul. Souls have material bodies.

>>19288294
>>19288309
We are eternal. A soul is never created, a soul is never destroyed.
>>
>>19288378
I don't even think that's possible.
>>
>>19288384
Then OP's question is meaningless.
>>
>>19288383

No a soul i born like a child is born on heart a soul is born in heaven
>>
>>19288385
Yeah, well, I should think that was obvious. "Soul" as a term is often used in abstract ways that make no sense.
>>
>>19288143
Souls aren't a measure of the physical universe, but rather the conscious beings who observe that universe, either from the perspective of an individual or collective consciousness--possibly including variations therein. The total quantity is equal to Dunbar's number, on the understanding that Robin Dunbar's estimate, or even method of estimation may not be the only valid answer to the question of how many souls exist in totality.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunbar%27s_number

Combine this with Gödel's incompleteness theorems, and you have a perfect understanding of why soul categorization by way of set theory escapes the logic of digital computation methods.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C3%B6del%27s_incompleteness_theorems

Souls reliably evade digital measurement, as this is part of their defining quality which allow them to be used as monades for purposes of generating unique reality experiences, crowd sourced with the others connected to the social network by which a soul measures its own existence in relation to others.

Entities of higher densities of consciousness are simply capable of interfacing with a literally denser set of network nodes within the collective consciousness, creating their likeness in measurably more coordinates within the reality experience of those of a lower density of consciousness, including various forms of recursive protocols which enhance the efficiency of the administration of their own personal value of Dunbar's Number, through the consciousness of others. As an example, by establishing such a consciousness network with consent checking protocols between nodes, the entity with a higher density of consciousness can use this consciousness based network to compute solutions to digital algorithms at processing speeds equivalent to a non-deterministic Turing machine.
>>
Souls are endless because God is endless. This is the soulless prescription of brotherly love, and so forth. Souls are limited because God is limited. This is more practical, because God is what is, nothing more, nothing less. What I can tell you is that, in my conception of reality, many, many more than you would ever think exist do, and that's because, in the "land before time", i.e. before our existence as we know it, God had to have slaves or something. Someone to do some sort of job, perhaps extermination or enslaving the enemy, perhaps cocreating this world (God knows every hair on our heads, so it goes, perhaps because that's the manner in which he created us?) I... don't know. This makes sense in my head because it lines up with my experience that I'm unable to communicate to you. But what I've been given as an insight is that many of those creations that cocreated this reality were condensed into one body, hence my remarks that there are many more than you would be able to count, if you even could do so. And the reason for that is so that they would be equal to each other. They performed the same duty, now they are rewarded with the same place in the universe. Anyway, who knows. It's a silly question. So my answer's a bit silly. Something to think about, if you're at all like me.
>>
>>19288390
I don't think you understand what Dunbar's number is.

Have a nice day.
>>
>>19288385

The soul is energy, energy is eternal
To become gods child you need to be born from the energy
>>
A soul can be said to be the source of the symptom of consciousness, but consciousness has a lot more meaning to it, and this can cause confusion. In the Gita the atma is defined as "the knower of the field of activities" or to put it in more modern terms, the soul is the source of suffering and enjoyment. It is the answer to neuroscience's hard problem of "why do we have subjective experience?" The soul has no other interaction with the activities of material energy other than to suffer or enjoy the events/items perceived.

>>19288387
I put "Gaudiya Vaishnava perspective" at the top of my post specifically to deal with this concern. You may have a different understanding, but according to GV, the soul is eternal, it was never created. It has a source of its eternal existence, but there is no time when there is generator without the generated.
>>
>>19288408
Energy is not "eternal", there's entropy and the eventual heat death of the universe.
>>
>>19288143
Don't bother explaining what a soul is to one who cannot even see depth. People who remain logical will stay that way. Their God is the laws within the universe not the metaphysical aspect of life. Do not bother explaining anything to anyone unless they want to believe.
>>
>>19288465
Laws of physics are observable and testable. Your "metaphysical aspects" aren't.
>>
>>19288411
I'd like to reiterate because I feel this is a unique point in Gaudiya Vaishnavism. No other major religion says your eternal soul is ACTUALLY eternal. The Abrahamic faiths say your soul is created by God prior to your physical embodiment; that before this you did not exist. Buddhism says your soul is an illusion, that the movements of matter in concert give rise to experience and said phenomenon will fade as well. Even Advaita Vedanta says the individual soul is a temporary division of the One - that the truth is we are a single entity and our distinct existence is temporary.

It is only in Gaudiya Vaishnavism that we understand the distinct individual to be an eternal soul - never created, never extinguished. A common analogy is that of the heat and light from a fire. Heat is not fire. Light is not fire. But you cannot give me a fire without heat and light. There's no time when a fire exists, and THEN heat and light are created from the fire. No. If fire exists, heat and light are there, even though heat and light are sourced in the fire. Of course, analogies are not perfect and we can say when the fire starts is when heat and light start. But if we apply the principle to the concept of an eternal source - a fire with no beginning - then we can gain some understanding of how a soul can have a source but no beginning.
>>
>>19288474
That's the thing, you don't want to think of it other than it's most objective function. You see it the way you view life. Just empty and full of trial and error. You don't even know yourself which is why you have to resort to thinking like a robot, but that's probably a compliment to you.
>>
File: the-grady-twins.jpg (445KB, 1229x922px) Image search: [Google]
the-grady-twins.jpg
445KB, 1229x922px
I keep playing this game called life, but the programmer keeps recycling assets.
>>
>>19288442
Lovely
>>
>>19288143
One and maybe an other
>>
>>19288143
There is one soul wearing multiple masks.

Quite an actor "I" am. Sneaky fuck lol
>>
>>19288188
Is that because I'm a ginger?
>>
>>19288333

I'm a different Anon, but that seems unnecessary to me because all three of those are literally the same thing.
>>
At least 11
>>
>>19288143
>implying it isnt all those at once
>>
>>19288143
From what I've learned from the old gods
They're 12 types of souls
Based on the Zodiac
Other types of personalities in other galaxies
So their is an infinite numbers in the universe but in our realm they're 12 main souls and we are kinda like aspects or pieces of that soul

This is why we click and link up with people who have compatible signs for no reason, were connected on a grid
>>
>>19288143
I'd say 1, 0, and infinite all at once, since all three are the same thing.
>>
>>19288378
define define
>>
>>19288143
The Buddha did say that there are as many tathagata Buddhas as there are grains of sand in the ganges river.
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.