[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can you reach Enlightnement/Liberation in a single life?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 9

Can you reach Enlightnement/Liberation in a single life?
If yes, how hard/likely is it? and how?
>>
File: death.jpg (66KB, 529x529px) Image search: [Google]
death.jpg
66KB, 529x529px
>>19284494
>>
File: 1482437986390.gif (185KB, 768x368px) Image search: [Google]
1482437986390.gif
185KB, 768x368px
>>19284494
Look at that guys head. It's gonna be hard as heck!

You want to achieve that, all I can say is:

Gonna need at least a dozen lives. Or 108, maybe. Better get started collecting them.
>>
>>19284494
If anyone knew the answer to that, we wouldn't be here now would we?
>>
if you are the motherfucking buddha himself, sure
>>
>>19284517
I know the answer.

Enlightenment as a single maneuver and destination is a joke. It's false.

You never stop learning unless there is stunted growth within the Mind, Body or Soul.
>>
>>19284494
Perhaps. But even if not, what does it matter? as long as you are ever striving for it. If you attain it in this life, it still doesn't mean it was done in a single lifetime, it means all your previous lives led up to that culmination. If you are ever striving and don't make it in this life, there's always the next one. But there ARE different schools of thought on this.
>>
>>19284494
I thinks all it takes in the unraveling of the ego.
>>
File: [Pyramid].jpg (124KB, 1024x819px) Image search: [Google]
[Pyramid].jpg
124KB, 1024x819px
>>19284494

1) Yes

2) It depends on things like Method,Age, Group/Society/Level, etc.

[KB Archives: http://archive.4plebs.org/_/search/subject/knowledge%20bomb/username/anonymous5/tripcode/%21%219O2tecpDHQ6/]

Meditation,Experimentation & Knowledge are some of the ways it can be achieved.
>>
>>19284881
What method would you recomand?
>>
>>19284923
>asking a schizophrenic
You're better off contemplating it yourself
>>
>>19284494
Do tons of psychedelics its easy.
>>
>>19284494
Yes.
Total and complete reunion with the God state is available the moment your soul truly desires it.
>>
I can only speg frob bersonal egsberence.

For me, enlightenment was a moment I was only able to recognize in retrospect. During that moment, no thoughts were possible. It was the first time during my life when I was without thought but lucid.

I had been without thought at specific moments of drug trips, but during these moments there is always an underlying process which is moving you through that state, and hence an underlying anxiety.

At the moment of enlightenment and for about a minute afterward I was lucid and aware but without thought. But perhaps what I really mean is without unwanted thought. Because it was a state of pure awe. And I was thinking, "This is it." And I even went and looked in the mirror at that moment, because I had heard it written about liberated people, "His eyes are like a dead sheep." (Look at Ramakrishna's photo and you will know what I am talking about.)

But all throughout this minute, no thought held me back. It was not that there was no thought, it was that there was no unwanted thought. Nothing obscured the awe.

At the exact moment the change occurred, it was like nothing though. No thought at all.

After that minute of awe ended and I regained enough verbal sense of thought to be drawn back into a regular thought stream, my first thought was "I am the same as Buddha, Krishna." This was the exact thought, the comma means "and", but these are the exact words that I thought.

I did not mean by this that I am special, I meant that I knew my own nature as just the same as these beings I had idealized for so long.

Then what happened is I began to doubt that that was a real enlightenment, since I had had mental experiences prior. I thought, if I can doubt at all, this must not be enlightenment. Then I returned to practice.

A week later I realized suddenly that that moment that I had somewhat quickly dismissed was all there was. It was the last recognizable point in my practice and the last event in my mindstream. cont'd
>>
>>19285653
cont'd

I realized that I felt as though no time had passed since that moment. The preceding week of practice immediately disappeared from my mind as I realized that it was completely circular and insignificant. My mind collapsed back to the moment of enlightenment, and I realized that it is possible to be enlightened, and even doubt afterward.

It is possible to do anything in the mind afterward that one could do before, even doubt one's enlightenment, and question one's understanding.

It has been a year since that moment and it still feels like no time has passed. Thoughts and experiences that have occurred between that moment and now have still lead to growth, and are still significant--if anything, even more so ("the mode of a Buddha is become more enlightened")--but every experience after that moment continually resolves itself into that moment. The experiences aren't bringing me closer to anything, and they have no intrinsic existence.

Everything from then on was, and still is, part of that moment. Liberation is something which begins and never ends.
>>
File: chill-homie.jpg (101KB, 500x499px) Image search: [Google]
chill-homie.jpg
101KB, 500x499px
>>19285684
wicked sick!
What practice?
>>
>>19286702
Following the impulse inside my head.

The impulse generally pulled me to direct conscious attention to my thoughts, but often it would pull me to do various other things for reasons that would arise in my mind.

I had set forth enlightenment as an unconditional goal, and there was therefore an unconditional force in my mind for quite some time directing every action with the force of demand.

It is the inner guru I suppose, but once you fulfill this impulse's requirements, this impulse gives all your consciousness-moments the validation of divinity.

Thank you senpai.
>>
>>19286765
If you want me to expand on this and try to triangulate it as a special practice, I'd say. Make an unconditional vow of enlightenment. You will then fulfill this vow in all your actions, including your failures. You will contemplate your failures and understand that the failure, the contemplation and the correction were all originally fulfilling of this practice.

Vow that all you do is enlightenment practice. Spicy!
>>
>>19286785
I find myself unwilling to make such a vow, because there are parts of me I don't want to give up - attachments I currently hold strongly.
I fear that such a vow means I value the pursuit of enlightenment higher than some of my currently personality traits.
Hmm, so I suspect that a starting point would be to examine these attachments?
Can staying attached yet being aware be enough?

And congrats, that seems like a simple, elegant and powerful technique.
>>
>>19284494
Buddha did, that's why he's Buddha
>>
>>19286852
>Can staying attached yet being aware be enough?
Absolutely. Don't call it a vow if you feel vow is too weighty a word. Just call it an idle passive experiment that you nevertheless spend all your time studying.
>>
>>19286852
>Can staying attached yet being aware be enough?

Of course. You're onto it.

Exactly what you're envisioning as your path, that attached awareness, hoping it will bring success, that exact thing is your path.
>>
File: LSD.jpg (93KB, 432x768px) Image search: [Google]
LSD.jpg
93KB, 432x768px
>>19284494
High dose of LSD and cannabis and meditate on a mountaintop with a 360 clear view.
Spend the full 40 hours aware of your awareness and integration with the whole universe, observe the mechanics of your mind, and as you slowly sober up and reconstruct your being, only create what is the realist and wholesome and valuable.
>>
File: Falun_Gong_Logo.svg.png (19KB, 323x322px) Image search: [Google]
Falun_Gong_Logo.svg.png
19KB, 323x322px
>>19284494
Yes you can.
http://en.falundafa.org/
>>
>>19284494
Yes, it's not that hard. Just drop the pretense that even the past exists. Refuse to believe another moment exists. Just exist. The become black body radiation and you know, vanish.
>>
>>19284494
This is a hard question to answer, because you are framing the question in the context of having a "single life." It really depends on where you draw the limits at "life" as to how capable you are of understanding the way this works.

I'm not speaking with this tone as a way to sound didactic or haughty; but there are mathematical problems to be considered which would render the idea of having a "soul" as commensurate with the life of a human body quite impossible.

For one, if the soul cannot die, and we are reincarnated with them, then what happens when there are more bodies than there are souls? How do these souls become "created?" Is there a sum-total, because there are limited resources in the universe, or is it an infinity of soul-juice on which they run?

See; it doesn't really make sense. Thus, we must consider that the problem of the soul is a problem of identity. What we imagine are the "important" parts of who we are - our bodies, our traits, our "personalities," all of these attachments to self and ego. These aren't permanent or nearly as unique as you imagine, by the way. You are a unique set of empirical senses aligned with a single path through spacetime organized through the arrangement of data into linear causality... but you ain't all that.

But we are more than our bodies. There is information that you receive epigenetically that communicates things as complicated as trauma and stress.

[cont.]
>>
>>19287100
[continuing]

So, you can potentially inherit PTSD, basically. I mean, it's very much a very real possibility, as much as the idea of inheriting any other predisposition or "disorder." Legit science shit.

This makes us wonder: how much of "us" is even really "us," then? If a whole host of irrational impulses and urges and fears are bubbling up from prior generations, perhaps stemming all the way back to the primordial ooze from which we all emerged, then really what percentage of my thoughts can I claim as "mine?" What is "me?" This is a central question that has plagued humankind for fucking basically ever.

Here's the answer: all of us. We are all of us. Everybody is part of a larger consciousness, and we are all experiencing each other by defining one another as existent in our individual worlds, the boundaries of which we share.

You may have memories from a "past life" as an instantiation of ancestral memories. This does not mean you "were" that person any more than those who inherit your memories are you... of course, this is a vast overstatement of how "memories" could be "inherited," but I'm speaking metaphorically here. The point is, "enlightenment" is often misunderstood as an endpoint of sorts, some sort of teleological goal to work toward like a final boss or something.

[cont.]
>>
>>19284494
A life is not a measure of time.

The sooner you realize this, the sooner you will be able to attain your spiritual goal in a single life. The longer it takes before you realize this, the more lives you will require to reach your spiritual goal.
>>
>>19287112
[continuing]

I'm just saying that the concept of enlightenment, however you want to define it, contains some element so inexpressible as to be inutterable by human tongue or word. Like, there's an ineffable quality to it that just can't be expressed, because if it could, then there would be some perfect expression of it that would allow others to experience it empirically, and thus it would not be enlightenment... you know what I mean?

I imagine a point outside all of human observation, but the sum-total of all perspectives possible; some vast panopticon where everything is known. Of course, outside of the spacetime continuum, there essentially must be some outer-perspective, some point outside the entire system of information by which we could possibly imagine communicating, and yet which can communicate to us through some extratemporal medium (my money's on quantum entanglement)...

Maybe enlightenment is that moment - that eternal moment that we have always known, because it exists beyond and before all knowing. Past self. Past ego. Past humanity. Beyond time. Where we are right now, and always have-been-being.

Maybe counting souls is impossible because we cannot tell where to place the limit. Maybe we are all of us on the brink of transcendence in ways we cannot even presently determine. Maybe more and more of us are realizing that we have inherited the entirety of human existence, and our pattern recognition is able to transcend the patterns of a "single life," reaching back throughout the ages to tell us that we need to break the cycle...

inb4 shill and "you need a better writer" comments... like, who *are* these people paying people to write like this? Seriously, somebody tell me, please...
>>
>>19284494
Odds are that if you're reading this then you've lead numerous lives already
>>
>>19284494
It doesn't matter.
>>
>>19287136
*led*
>>
>>19285465
Have you achieved it?
>>
>>19287282
The ego says yes.
The heart says no.
But the spirit says that you cannot stop being what you have always been.
>>
>>19284494
>>
If we live in a universe with infinite possibilities, can we ever truly reach full enlightenment if there's always something else to be enlightened about?
>>
>>19284494
Fuck you bitch nigguh
>>
We are the one, the other and the whole. Once you realize that, you realize the relationship to others and how the human quest is not finished, we still have to grow.
>>
>>19286857
buddha was literally able to see his past lives when he woke, so it was not the first life to him
>>
>>19284500
this

its a long long road of a lot of lifes
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.