[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Have you seen it? Did you watch it with the lights off?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 6

File: The Void.jpg (352KB, 1012x1500px) Image search: [Google]
The Void.jpg
352KB, 1012x1500px
Have you seen it? Did you watch it with the lights off?
>>
I think this would made an amazing lovecraftian book. The shortcomings in the production budget made it just "okay".
>>
>>19276466
I liked how things built up at a linear pace without going ultra-slow. There were parts where I kind of questioned the narrative, but I couldn't refute it at any point.

I started it with the lights off and turned the lights on for dinner. I decided to leave the lights on.

I think I might leave them on.
>>
Hold me /x/. I don't know how to deal with horror movies that aren't afraid to show me monsters. If only I'd watched a thriller instead...
>>
>>19276477
I wasn't particularly afraid at any point. I thought it had a few cool concepts but It's hard to show something visually in a movie that "your mind can't comprehend" or that "seeing would drive you mad"
>>
>>19276445
Great flick.
>>
>>19276529
>hard to show something visually in a movie that "your mind can't comprehend" or that "seeing would drive you mad"
I think they did a pretty good job, all things considered. I like how the characters weren't afraid to be afraid.

I think if I were simply afraid I wouldn't have a problem just ducking under the covers and falling asleep. It's more like I'm nervous, and that's a lot harder to deal with.
>>
On a scale of 1 to REALLY FUCKING SPOOPY how spoopy is it exactly
>>
>>19276552
I don't even know how to measure it. You know how horror films usually have unrealistic characters doing stupid shit to move the plot forward, effectively keeping us "safe" from actually empathizing with the characters and fully suspending disbelief?

It doesn't have any of those things.
>>
>>19276571
shit
>>
Is it on Netflix?
>>
>>19276445
i watched it a few days back with a friend while coming up on acid. good times
>>
>>19276735
and yes the lights were off. once full griped by the magical power of the drug we watched HOME and god damn! it felt like a documentary made by aliums about our planet.
>>
>>19276660
Yes.
>>
>>19276445
Yes and yes.
I liked it.
>>
>>19276445
Just saw it, it's 100% accurate sadly. The guy probably knows his shit, or had an episode of some dark inspiration.
>>
>>19277853
Also here is a link, if you like it I guess support it. But if you want to see it first in order to make your decision, then here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSyCt995vbY
>>
>>19277853
What the hell do you mean "accurate"? You telling me that you have prior knowledge of the void before knowledge of the movie?
>>
>>19278038
Yes. He's an avid reader of Lovecraft's works.
>>
>>19276747
Go home hippie
>>
for a recent horror movie i thought it was very, very good. at this point i expect to get to the end of a spooky movie and want my two hours back, and that didn't happen, so yay!

the plot doesn't completely make sense (some of that is on purpose in a "things man is not able to comprehend" kind of way, and some of that was probably on accident because the writer is just a human like me and you and fucked up). and some of the acting is probably not as great as it could have been.

the genre is a weird but mostly effective mix of lovecraftian eldritch abominations and goopy gorey creature effects like the original Thing.

the pacing is very odd and turned off at least one of my friends. it starts out going 180 mph, but by the end of the film it's (mostly) going kind of painfully slowly.

considering it's an indie film with a low budget i'd give it 5 fucking stars and i hope they make more shit.
>>
>>19278038
Yes, all the symbolism and what the doctors talks about hits all the rights spots. Surprised no one else realized this given it's /x/. But few seem to understand.
>>
Just watched it. Wow. What a masterpiece.

"Pure cosmic dread" sums it up well.
>>
And to think I scrolled past this hidden diamond a thousand times and never bothered to even give it a second glance.
>>
>>19278197

>But few seem to understand.

but few seem to be willing to roleplay that they have deep dark spooky knowledge of the things man can't possibly comprehend which drive you insane just to know about them

k.
>>
>>19278501
If I am insane then so be it. But, there are worse things our there than RP's. Remember that as you go to sleep tonight.
>>
>>19276445
Great non-CGI creatures, meh story, shot in THE COMPLETE FUCKING DARKNESS so you can't see the few good parts of the movie.

>Did you watch it with the lights off?
I had to, otherwise I wouldn't have seen shit. The whole movie looks like an old school cam bootleg of the Thing with the ending of the Beyond taped over the last 30 seconds.
>>
>>19278538
The darkness is for both effect and to help disguise the monsters.

Honestly this was fucking amazing for a low budget indie movie.
>>
Loved it. Any know of other similar style films?
>>
File: cronenbergs.png (408KB, 620x404px) Image search: [Google]
cronenbergs.png
408KB, 620x404px
>>19276445

loved it, but couldn't help myself, thought of these two the whole time
>>
>>19278552
It would've been much better if they had more money to spend on proper lights. In movies like Aliens, you could clearly see completely black monsters in almost total darkness, but the movie was expensive as fuck.

As for the monsters, they look amazing and it's so refreshing to see actual physical monsters, not CGI. I don't think they had to hide them in the dark.
>>
The nightmare/vision sequences were beautifully edited, right out of what I would envision for a nightmarish, otherworldly realm of darkness, but I felt the "netherworld" shown at the end looked too...plain. I dunno. I expected more of a starry, well, VOID. Not an otherwise regular looking landscape with some jagged mountain tips and fairly normal sky.
>>
>>19278605
except for ya know, the giant ominous triangle
>>
this looks pretty cool, is it on Netflix? where can I find?
>>
>>19278651
That's obviously besides the point.

The previous "vision" scenes with the cosmic shots were far more dreadful than the end world.
>>
>>19276445
it was okay i guess, nothing to write home about.
I didn't like pacing and there were many plotholes
>>
>>19276466
Are you the same fag that says this every time this movie is mentioned on here? Literally every time.
>>
I have a genuine question. Is the hype for this movie a meme, or something? Are you all in on some kind of prank? Is it all a joke? Because I went into the Void with very high hopes and it is genuinely, hands down, one of the absolute WORST movies I have ever seen. It's like if RE: Operation Racoon City took place in a hospital. It's 90 minutes of drama-less, horrorless, suspenseless and constant shooting and violence. There was not a single moment in my memory that anything even remotely scary happened. To say that anything in the entire film, save the last five minutes, were lovecraftian in the slightest is an insult to the genre that has Lovecraft himself practically spinning in his grave. I mean, the concept at its core wasn't even redeemable. It was about a bunch of dudes shooting at shit. What the hell? Where's all the slow paced terror? Where's the lovecraft themes, and vibes? Where's literally anything other than a stupid looking monster or a cultist getting shot in the face? Where's literally anything that constitutes a good horror movie, or at least a good movie, instead of a basic ass Michael Bay inspired bloodbath. I felt like I was watching fucking Left for Dead gameplay. Even that could maybe surprise you once in a while. The Void was just Killing Floor fan's wet dream, wrapped in shitty dialogue, basic characters, and lies. The Void was shit, but most of all, it was dissapointing. And yes, I watched it with the lights off.
>>
>>19279368
Yeah that's pretty much it. This movie is mostly just fan service for people who like The Thing and 80's movies. Lovecraft fags just like anything where they can insert "this is very lovecraftian" into a sentence as a proclamation that they can read a book.
>>
>>19278591
The thing hitting its head on a spike was pretty fucking vivid, lights or not.
>>
>>19278605
Honestly I think it's cool that they at least tried to show it. It felt like it gave some measure of actual closure, even if I couldn't make sense of what it was trying to say.
>>
>>19279368
>Where's all the slow paced terror?
You have a weird sense of pace. It sounds like you missed out of most of the film because you were looking for the Lovecraftian themes the entire time, which only really showed up at the very end. I wouldn't have described it as Lovecraftian, even though it did allude to such things.

Of course, if "ancient horrors before time" is a strictly Lovecraftian thing, then I was probably desensitized to it because the same concept played a major role in Doctor Strange.

I'm sorry that you had to watch it from a hyped state. Going into it expecting Lovecraftian horror would probably ruin it for anyone.
>>
>beginning of thread lots of people talking really impressive things about a horror film I haven't seen yet
>*fuck yeah gonna watch the shit out of this flick*
>thread progresses until someone very eloquently thrashes it with apparently very good points and people agree with him
>just fuck my shit up. jpeg
>>
>>19279862
Right, I was all for watching it until that, now I dunno what's right.
>>
>>19279920
>>19279368
that guys opinions are all valid arguments, but like I said after him, if you like good effects, awesome imagery, and 80's horror you'll enjoy it. I enjoyed it but i agree with everything this dude said at the same time. Plot is trash, actors are shit tier, but it is gooey.
>>
>>19279947
word
>>
>>19279787
I was looking for Lovecraft themes, but even if you drop the whole Lovecraft talk about the movie (I suppose anyone will call any occult monster Lovecraftian) the movie still isn't very good at all. From the first ten minutes onward it's "Shoot this, shoot that, uh oh, hit that with an axe, oh no, she's dead," etc. Like, they just drop monsters on screen, clear as day (or about as clear as it gets in the likely unintentional darkness) so that the badasses with guns can shoot them to death, over and over, for the whole movie. It's an action movie, not a horror movie, not a thriller. And it's fast paced. Since the whole movie is a bunch of guys running around with guns. There's no real tension because these dudes just blast the face of anything they see. There's no horror because the monsters aren't scary or unique, they're fleshy blobs that promptly get blown up after entering the screen. (Without any real build up, by the way.)

Okay, here's the deal that I'm most angry about. When someone says Lovecraft, it's about solidarity. It's about long, deliberate tension, building over time. It's about fine details. It's about quiet fear. It's finally about a brief, confusing, and explosive ending. The Void is none of those things, with the half-exception of the last one.

The Void is flesh blobs getting shot in the face. The Void is our protagonists killing cultists. The Void is people going crazy in the stupidest, most Hollywood way possible. The Void is cathartic, safetly telling you that the only surviving monster is locked away and everyone is dead. The Void is constant violence and explosions of blood. The Void is a bad movie.
>>
>>19279862
look it has flaws, doesnt mean its not enjoyable. why dont you just watch the damn thing and you know, make your own opinion?

>>19279368
this dude just had astronomical expectations or didnt watch the same movie.
>>
>>19279920
a huge misconception in horror is that horror movies need to be "scary", that they literally have to scare you to be good. To me that's just not a good way to judge a horror film and him not getting scared seems like his main problem with the movie.
>>
>>19279368
I'd say the movie is pretty suspenseful. For like half of it you have no idea what the fuck is going on. Kinda makes you feel like you're going insane when you watch it.
>>
>>19279978
Joke's on them I already feel like I'm going insane
>>
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SMg5lZFF2pM

Here's the good bits.

>Reminder that The Void was filmed in area 51 and that all creatures shown are real.
>>
Now I fucking know it. This movie is very similar to Splinter (movie)
>>
>>19280342
Holy shit you actually understood that. Bravo friend.
>>
>>19276445
me and my wife watched it. it was good enough to not have sex until the end. lights off the whole time
>>
>>19280450

Shits all over the place tho. Splinter had mroe direction
>>
>>19276445
I literally just finished this 10 minutes ago and all I have to say is what the actual fuck?
>>
>>19280783
pretty shit movie eh?
>>
>>19280821
I was completely and utterly lost from start to finish
>>
The movie had no idea what it wanted to be. Visually it was alright but that's about it. It felt more like a showcase in effects than anything else.
>>
>>19280058
Nobody noticed that post being the 51th post on the thread
>>
>>19280843
>51th
>>
I'm convinced that everyone in this thread were crew members for the movie. I simply can't see a single redeemable quality in the Void. It was utterly terrible. Either it's a meme, or I watched a different movie.
>>
I like the teenage film critics in this thread trying to critique a perfectly good low budget horror film, as if there's much in the way of good horror films being made.
It's sad the lengths some anons go to for a (you).
>>
>>19280857
>Listen to me. I need attention so I say outrageous things to provoke any kind of reply.
>Validate me, please!
>>
File: IMG_0674.jpg (200KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0674.jpg
200KB, 720x960px
I enjoyed it, thought it was much more original than 90% of horror movies out there.
Definitely my horror niche seeing as I don't have to have the plot totally spoon fed to me. however it's a lower budget horror movie so going into it thinking it's going to be a gang bang between Steven Spielsburg, Lovecraft and Ridley Scott is silly.
>>
File: IMG_0637.png (177KB, 697x768px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0637.png
177KB, 697x768px
>>19280857
Your like the kid who went to buy a Pokémon booster pack expecting to get a first edition holographic charazard and didn't, forever hating Pokémon for an imagined slight.
>>
File: IMG_0454.png (313KB, 852x480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0454.png
313KB, 852x480px
>>19281077
Also fuckin checkem nerds
>>
It was fun. Got windom Earle from twin peaks in it.
>>
>>19281134
Holy shit dude your right !
>>
File: 1350262130995.png (438KB, 542x549px) Image search: [Google]
1350262130995.png
438KB, 542x549px
Is alright. I wish it was available on Blu Ray tho.
It's fine so long as you're super into Lovecraft, otherwise it's just another B-horror movie. I liked it alot, but I'm a Lovecraftfag. In all honesty tho, the starchild monster at the end spooked me. Like if I were in that situation, I'd be powerless to do anything. The special effects were top notch, if anything. Give In the Mouth of Madness a watch if you liked this, it's twice as good, far better written and heavier on the Lovecraft. Also, fuck me, I payed to rent this and now it's on Netflix.
7/10
On that note, giving The Borderlands/Final Prayer a watch tonight.
>>
>>19280851
kek
>>
Don't know about others but it reminded me of Silent Hill movie. But better.
>>
i rate it pretty high.

especially given the quality of horror films now- which are mostly filled with cheap jump scares/excess gore & little substance.
>>
the *teleports behind you* cultists were scarier than the monsters
>>
>>19278532
IM GONNA MURDER YOU AND YOUR WHOLE FAMILY AARON
>>
>>19279952
>It's about long, deliberate tension, building over time. It's about fine details. It's about quiet fear. It's finally about a brief, confusing, and explosive ending.
Again, I think it had all those things. If you weren't paying attention to the plot I wouldn't really expect you to pick up on it, but there was a nuance there that I don't usually expect to see in horror movies.

>The Void is our protagonists killing cultists.
Only two or three of them were really killed on screen. The cult thing was more of a backdrop to tie the plot together than an object of aggression.

>The Void is people going crazy in the stupidest, most Hollywood way possible.
The one cultist girl aside, they didn't really go crazy. I don't think that was the point of the film at all, and probably mainly why I wouldn't have considered it Lovecraftian. From what I saw, it was mostly the characters bothering to actually show real fear, whereas most other horror movies just have people screaming and using "fear" as an excuse to push the characters to do stupid shit. If you were paying attention to the details, none of the characters acted just to move the story forward. There was always a legitimate reason behind every action.
>>
Still not available in my country til August 30. What is this, the 1990's? What a fucking travesty.
>>
>>19276445
Yes and yes.
Pretty good for a low budget movie. The ending was a little weak but that's almost the norm these days.
>>
>>19281992
I watched it on YouTube for 4 bucks.
Didn't even know YT had a streaming service before
>>
>>19282210
Stop encouraging them fucking retarded code monkeys. They've been bitched at to fix the algorithm for 3 years and have only made it worse. I scroll past about 150 videos before watching a single one. Oh and I have to manually remove every single recommendation or it will come back up infinitely.
>>
also just finished it, then found this thread. i genuinely enjoyed it. complaints are scarce, it did many things well and if youre 24-32 it will probably allude to many things you enjoy
>>
>>19282243
What are you babbling about?
>>
>>19282249
Carry on fanboy, that site is garbage.
>>
>>19282258
What? Take your meds.
>>
>>19281992
>1992
Apparently, yes.
Thread posts: 86
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.