[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Taoism

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

File: 531653513.png (40KB, 605x848px) Image search: [Google]
531653513.png
40KB, 605x848px
Have you guys read this stuff?
It blows these Abrahamic cults out of the water! Anyone else likes this philosophy?
>>
>>19275790
you only say that because you haven't met a theological taoist. the deities and universal drama they bring put abrahamics to shame.

sorta' why all the people who brought it to the west ignored that part. easier to romanticize the east that way. that being said, the tao te ching, and the i ching are must reads.
>>
>>19275996
>deities
Man, it's like the first thing in the Daodejing that if you claim to understand or know the name of the origin of the universe, you're full of shit basically.
>>
>>19275996
>This
They set themselves and others on fire over relatively boring shit.

They do have intensely wise teachings though.
>>
Taoism is very logical, yes, but is it real?

I like many logical conceptions of Taoism.

I've heard "Tao" translated as "The Great Integrity".

The Tao Te Ching is a really fun book. China has always had a tradition of monotheism, from the earliest days. Traditional Chinese Medicine which incorporates tenants of Taoism is also some really insightful stuff, IMO.
>>
Confucius also spoke a bit about a monotheistic deity. I have never studied him in-depth, unfortunately,
>>
File: 1484234592572.jpg (39KB, 528x738px) Image search: [Google]
1484234592572.jpg
39KB, 528x738px
Imo it's oriental hermetic. Excellent teaching. But keep to the must read like the Tao Te King, the I Ching and the smile of Tchuang-Tseu. Dwelling in what >>19275996 describe is not worth it.
>>
>>19275996
The difference is that you can be a Taoist who doesn't believe in the Three Pure Ones whereas speaking of yourself as a Christian or Muslim who denies divinity is nigh incoherent.
>>
Look up Bruce Kumar Frantzis. He's a western lineage holder and has multiple online programs and books as well as yearly seminars which transmit the actual practices, not just theory.

He's the real deal IMHO.
>>
>>19277144
https://youtu.be/Iv9zocKASsM
Alan Watts is entertaining and doesn't try to sell any woo or fancy postures.
>>
>>19277118
This
>>
>>19275790
There are two types of Taoism, one is religion and the other is science(/alchemy).
The Taoism(science/alchemy) is the true "Taoism", the original one from over 15,000years ago.
The Taoism(religion) is a metaphorical version thats been misunderstood and twisted into a 'religion'.

Taoism(science/alchemy) originated with Fu xi.
>>
>>19277418
Which Taoism is the one I'm reading from The Tao of Pooh? (Yes I'm just starting to get into Toaism don't make fun of)
>>
>>19277434
The Tao of Pooh and Dao De Jing, all point towards the Taoism(science/alchemy), they hint on things metaphorically, helping you understand the Tao(Universe; Everything that is; physical, and Everything that is not; potential) and its Nature.
>>
>>19277463
Thank you. Any tips on avoiding the fake Taoism?
>>
>>19277477
1. Is it a ritual, rather than a dialogue/explanation?
2. Then it is not the eternal Tao.
>>
>>19277477
The religion one isnt fake, the myth of their gods etc are correct metaphorically.
(In math and nature of the laws of the universe)
Rituals and praying to those gods does nothing though.

Do try to avoid interpretations and interpreted translations. (try to look for original ancient texts and raw translations), and always try to treat the texts as if something may be hidden between the words/lines, as well as treat all words as metaphors to be comprehended.

Avoid 'King Wen' Bagua formation based systems/texts/works. King Wen is wrong.
(After you understand the basics you will understand why)

Origin of Taoism by fuxi is this:
無極生有極、有極是太極、
太極生兩儀、即陰陽;
兩儀生四象: 即少陰、太陰、少陽、太陽、
四象演八卦、八八六十四卦

Wújí shēng yǒu jí, yǒu jí shì tàijí
Tàijí shēng liǎngyí jí yīnyáng
Liǎngyí shēng sìxiàng: jí shǎo yīn, tàiyīn, shǎo yáng, tàiyang
Sìxiàng yǎn bāguà bābāliù shísì guà

The Limitless (無極; wuji) produces the delimited (有極; youji), and this demarcation is equivalent to the Absolute (太極; taiji).
The Taiji (the two opposing forces in embryonic form) produces two forms, named yin-yang (陰陽) which are called Liangyi (the manifested opposing forces).
These two forms produce four phenomena: named lesser yin (少陰, shaoyin), greater yin (太陰; taiyin, which also refers to the Moon[nature]), lesser yang (少陽, shaoyang), and greater yang (太陽; taiyang, which also refers to the Sun[nature]).
The four phenomena (四象; Sìxiàng) act(not produce) on the eight trigrams (八卦; Bagua).
Eight 'eights' results in sixty-four hexagrams.

And I suggest you read these 2 posts:
>>19277386
>>19277389

Good luck.
>>
>>19277503
Eternal Tao cannot be expressed within our Universe. Our universe is The Tao, a tiny tiny part of the Eternal Tao(which is limitless, which and by which the limitless is, and beyond[cant be expressed])
The Tao is all that can be expressed, in any way.
>>
File: 1393120219042.png (130KB, 369x400px) Image search: [Google]
1393120219042.png
130KB, 369x400px
>>19277503
>>19277557
>>19277569

Appreciate it.
>>
File: alan watts.jpg (275KB, 1252x1252px) Image search: [Google]
alan watts.jpg
275KB, 1252x1252px
>>19275790
>Have you guys read this stuff?
Yes.
>It blows these Abrahamic cults out of the water!
I don't know if I'd state it like that, but I did find the Tao Te Ching a lot more interesting than the Bible.
>Anyone else likes this philosophy?
Yo.

>>19277016
There are totally deities. Laozi mostly just talked about politics and the Tao though.

>>19277199
Fucking love listening to Alan Watts.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.