[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Red pill me on Buddhism. Tell me what it's about.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5

File: 612siddhartha.png (76KB, 300x402px) Image search: [Google]
612siddhartha.png
76KB, 300x402px
Red pill me on Buddhism. Tell me what it's about.
>>
>>19274596
Ataraxia
>>
Look into it.
You can find this answer, like most, in the same place you found these questions.
Post wasn't phrased as a question though.
Implied questions then.

Buddhism might teach you how not to suffer. Try and meditate, Sit down and close your eyes? Being not doing? Like in the picture.
I don't believe for a second you couldn't have come up with that on your own, just look how peaceful he looks!
>>
>>19274596

>Tell me what it's about.

It's reverse Gnosticism
>>
File: 1468229338733.jpg (868KB, 862x1590px) Image search: [Google]
1468229338733.jpg
868KB, 862x1590px
>>19274596
Look into Zen if anything. Tibetan Buddhism is hopelessly tainted by Hinduism.

Buddhism is as close to sciece as anything. It emphasizes observation and clarity of vision over belief and faith. In fact it rejects belief. Buddhism in the end says look for yourself and disregard mere beliefs.

It's really not a religion since it doesn't invoke the paranormal all. Remember that reincarnation and all that mumbo jumbo isn't buddhist, it became attached to buddhism memetically as it passed out of India. Zen is an effort to go back to the real message. Don't fear pain or loss, face them.
>>
>>19274596
Theravada Buddhism is about looking objectively at reality, in order to eliminate suffering and increase compassion. The 8 fold path is outlined as the way to Nibbana or Nirvana.
>>
>>19274829
Also it teaches not to believe superstitious mumbo jumbo like magic chants, or useless wishes like prayer. Craving and desire lead to suffering.
>>
existence is suffering. i agree with them on this one, all throughout our existence as a human we go through pain and hardship, looking for small instances of happiness that we know wont last forever. buddhism teaches you to come to terms with the reality that everything in life is temporary and that you can find your slice of happiness in all parts of life but its up to you, not the world to present the positive.
>>
>>19274706
>Tibetan Buddhism is hopelessly tainted by Hinduism.

Do you even know the origins of Buddhism ?
>>
>>19274596
Want always ends in suffering. Therefore, change yourself so that you want for nothing (by which I mean never feeling desire for anything) and reach an enlightened state that will never suffer.

At least I think that's the general idea. I think there's something about how being removed from earthly desires frees you from the endless wheel of reincarnation?
>>
File: sorry1.png (584KB, 1000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
sorry1.png
584KB, 1000x1500px
>>19276334
Basically something like this:
http://existentialcomics.com/comic/102
Commentary on the page probably explains better.
>>
File: sorry2.png (603KB, 1000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
sorry2.png
603KB, 1000x1500px
>>19276344
>>
File: The burning monk, 1963 (1).jpg (466KB, 1600x1038px) Image search: [Google]
The burning monk, 1963 (1).jpg
466KB, 1600x1038px
>>19274974

Also. With a lifetime of practice you can endure shit deemed impossible by most humans.
>>
>>19276351
I mean, you can always read the sutras online if you want to learn more.
>>
>>19274974
Basically this plus the abandonment of material possessions and the idea that you "need" things in order to be happy.
>>
>>19274596
It's about realizing what existence is all about.

What is it all about? It can't be put into words so there's no point in describing it. The whole point is to realize and experience it for yourself.

Don't listen to anon's here about "suffering" in Buddhism. The cessation of suffering is just a selling point to get people into Buddhism. Yes, it can be a byproduct of practice but it's not really the goal.

Realizing what existence is all about can definitely relieve one of suffering, sure, but it really goes deeper than that.

>>19274706
>>19276334
>>19274974
>>19274854
>>19274829
Don't listen to these anons either, they don't know what they're talking about. Also most people here don't know what they're talking about when it comes to Buddhism. Neither do you until you have the realization.
>>
>>19274596
It's about doing a bunch of things in association with organized religion that were originally designed to free people from societal shackles like organized religion, governments, and other forms of mass-selfishness.
>>
>>19276452
Wait, then what about the four noble truths? I thought that they were pretty much the main part of Buddhism, and they're all about suffering or ending suffering.

Copy-pasted from Wikipedia, apparently a copy of the sutra about the four noble truths:

Now this, bhikkhus, is the noble truth of suffering: birth is suffering, aging is suffering, illness is suffering, death is suffering; union with what is displeasing is suffering; separation from what is pleasing is suffering; not to get what one wants is suffering; in brief, the five aggregates subject to clinging are suffering.

Now this, bhikkhus, is the noble truth of the origin of suffering: it is this craving which leads to re-becoming, accompanied by delight and lust, seeking delight here and there; that is, craving for sensual pleasures, craving for becoming, craving for disbecoming.

Now this, bhikkhus, is the noble truth of the cessation of suffering: it is the remainderless fading away and cessation of that same craving, the giving up and relinquishing of it, freedom from it, non-reliance on it.

Now this, bhikkhus, is the noble truth of the way leading to the cessation of suffering: it is this noble eightfold path; that is, right view, right intention, right speech, right action, right livelihood, right effort, right mindfulness, right concentration.
>>
>>19276594
OP asked for the red pill.
>>
Flower Sermon
All you need to know.
>>
>>19276619
This is kind of a red pill, maybe? More like listing the Ten Commandments, I guess. In my defense I was responding to the guy that claimed Buddhism was barely related to suffering.
>>
>>19274596
It's a branch of Vaishnavism; Eastern religious philosophy dictates that Buddha is an avatar of Vishnu. So that's it, in a nutshell.
>>
>>19276298
You sure don't.
>>
>>19274596
>We are caught in an everlasting cycle of suffering.
>We suffer because of attachment.
>There's a way to fix this.
>To do it, follow the Eightfold Path.
Or something to that effect.

>>19274706
>>19277201
Buddha was a Hindu. What the fuck, dude. That's like saying, "Avoid X version of Christianity, it's a bit Jewy."

Zen is good, but for fuck's sake.
>>
>>19274695

Basically they think all the Archons are good guys.
>>
>>19278356
No. It's like saying avoid make-believe and choose science. And are you saying that a man being hindu as a child traps him in that state for life? Hinduism, like any belief system, is trancended by an awakened person. Buddhism is NOT Hinduism, Tard.
>>
>>19274596

It's basically nihilism

accepting the meaninglessness and letting go
>>
>>19278816
Not nihilism at all. It is giving up the intrinsic pleasures for a far greater meaning. It is turning away from all theologies to discover true awareness. It is the pure and mundane place where the wicked find no pleasure, this contemplative state.
>>
>>19274596
It is this.It is when you go to bed.When you feel love or experience grief.

Then it isn't.It isn't you.It isn't your clothes,you family,your children,your job,your sickness or suffering.

Then, there is no I.No me.No him.No her.There is.
>>
>>19274596
A bunch of faggy asians and gypsies circlejerking about how they are one with everything and nothing matters, pretty boring stuff senpai.

Was invented to keep low castes docile and prevent a rebellion. "You'll do better in the next reincarnation." LMAO
>>
Basically, a life denying, nihilistic death cult.

I'm not kidding.
>>
>>19276452
this nigga has the red pill

Buddhism is the most branded religion. it was a divine act of marketing
>>
>>19276361
>They were accompanied by the person, it is said, who burnt himself to death at Athens. This is the practice with persons in distress, who seek escape from existing calamities, and with others in prosperous circumstances, as was the case with this man. For as everything hitherto had succeeded with him, he thought it necessary to depart, lest some unexpected calamity should happen to him by continuing to live; with a smile, therefore, naked, anointed, and with the girdle round his waist, he leaped upon the pyre.
What a show-off

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zarmanochegas
>>
>>19274596
The soul.
>>
>>19276344
>>19276351
This made me giggle like a schoolgirl
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.