[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Unsettling Paintings

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 8

File: 300px-Christinasworld.jpg (19KB, 300x201px) Image search: [Google]
300px-Christinasworld.jpg
19KB, 300x201px
Why do I find this painting so unsettling? I also really enjoy looking at it.

General unsettling paintings thread.

Try to keep the paintings uncanny and unsettling, rather than straight out horror/scary.
>>
>>19268676
Because her pose suggests that she just suffered domestic violence, but her husband is nowhere in sight. Wouldn't he normally raise his fists to her in private where nobody can see, as opposed to out in the open where everyone can see? Something is amiss here, and my guess is that someone has teleportation abilities.
>>
>>19268687
woah

Also, this thread feels pretty deja-vuey right now
>>
File: Sad.jpg (33KB, 307x409px) Image search: [Google]
Sad.jpg
33KB, 307x409px
>>19268676

The paintings subject was a polio victim, incapable of walking.

As the title says, this is how the world looks to someone as helpless as her.
>>
>>19268692
What do you mean? Like this has been posted before?
>>
>>19268773
I'm familiar with the artist and the background regarding the painting's subject. I just don't know why I find it so uncanny/unsettling, yet also so alluring and enjoyable to look out. Maybe it's just the colour and composition...
>>
>>19268687
Nope. Her pose suggests she's suffering from some schizoid mental breakdown. The isolation one feels when you're in this situation.
>>
>>19268773
>>19268676
That's interesting to know but I don't find that painting unsettling, just arousing. No joke.
>>
>>19268866
Yea, same pic, same story, and the first reply is the same.

Dunno if I've seen it here on x or if it was in a dream or what, but I'm pretty sure this is a duplicate thread, of which I've been noticing more of lately.
>>
>>
File: IMG_0026.jpg (70KB, 340x437px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0026.jpg
70KB, 340x437px
Van Gogh's friend, Pere Tanguy. His strange eyes, and the style in general, I guess.
>>
File: 1495124093305.png (791KB, 1024x640px) Image search: [Google]
1495124093305.png
791KB, 1024x640px
>>
>>19268676
Unsettling? Really? I find this to be one of the most beautiful paintings in the world. I always have.
>>
>>19268676
Because it depicts the ultimate fear of every living thing on this planet.
Being alone. Alone with no one to hear your cries. No one to help you. No one to console you. No one. Just nothing but the vast empty expanse.
>>
>>19269299
...that's your idea of ultimate fear?

Do you cry at night when you try to sleep or something? Are you terrified of monks for the hours they spend praying alone in small closets?
>>
Francisco Goya - Saturn Devouring his Son
>>
The garden of earthly delights (file too large)

https://jamesesz.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/bosch-the-garden-of-earthly-delights.jpg
>>
File: REPIN_Ivan_Terrible-Ivan.jpg (200KB, 1200x732px) Image search: [Google]
REPIN_Ivan_Terrible-Ivan.jpg
200KB, 1200x732px
>>19269320
ayyyy I got that hanging in my bedroom
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.