[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Welcome to Night Vale

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 11

File: 600x600bb.jpg (39KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
600x600bb.jpg
39KB, 600x600px
Is it any good or just tumblr shit ?
>>
>>19263995
The first 20 episodes are worth a listen.
>>
>>19264078
Do the dots connect or is it just ramdom ?
>>
>>19263995
Redpill me on this.

I have no idea what it's about.
>>
>>19264101
Is like a radio podcast to a fictional city in the desert where ''strange'' things happen

First episode:
https://youtu.be/Ujksjzqrhys
>>
>>19263995
I enjoyed it at first, but it's really just the same nonsensical stuff over and over again. I lost interest by episode 10.
>>
It' more "weird" than spooky. Good for semi-background noise. I got through a good 50 episodes before I just stopped listening. Sometimes I reply the early ones.
>>19264091
It has continuing plots across episodes. Like a man no one remembers, a city under a bowling ally, a door in the desert. It touches back on them as "news updates"
>>
>>19264078
It's still good past that dude.
>>
>>19263995
General consensus is that it's first one, then the other.
>>
>>19263995
twin peaks for tumblrfags
>>
>>19265472
Essentially
>>
>>19263995
tumblr tier autism, it's not good, funny, interesting, or anything. My sister likes it and has pretty trash taste for most things.
>>
It had potential but then they had to inject muh gay romance into it and essentially turn it into gay Lovecraftian fanfic in the desert. Sad!
>>
>>19265583
>>19265598
This
>>
Alice isn't dead is made by the same people and suffers from the same problem. Decent writing, decent creepy vibe and then just heavy handing "MUH GAYNESS" into it until it permeates absolutely everything and there is no escape. Why can't they just make a creepy/otherworldly thing without making about taking it up the ass, I will never understand.
>>
>>19265720
So you're saying it's the story of how a pro-homosexual message is infiltrated into all forms of media even when it makes no sense to be there? That really does sound terrifying.
>>
>>19265848
No, I'm saying it is a story that starts out normal enough and then the pro-homosexual message is worked in bit by bit until by the end you might as well be listening to Gay Pride: the podcast. Which is cool if that's what they wanted to do, but they should have advertised it a little bit more honestly.
>>
>>19263995
It's good, I wish 'the weather' wasn't on there though. all the music sucks. Always have to fast forward through it.
>>
>>19263995
Nightvale is wannabe lovecraftian stories made by a homosexual jew who despises lovecraft because lovecraft didn't like niggers. That should tell you enough.
>>
File: Joseph-Fink.jpg (102KB, 750x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Joseph-Fink.jpg
102KB, 750x1000px
Pic related is the creator of nightvale.
>>
Fucking loved it at first, the weather always played good music too.
Got fatigued once Cecil started talking about how gay him and his bf was, dropped it after the whole dragon raid happened.
Last I checked, some ancient female god was fucking around, I don't bother with it anymore.
Real fucking cool idea, started strong but collapsed into its creator's political opinion, like a lot of things these days.
>>
>>19265932
Wait, the creator hates Lovecraft?
He's ripping him off completely yet hates him, fucking wew lad.
>>
Also, the Glow Cloud got way fucking overused.
>>
>>19266075
“People area always assuming is a major influence, and the funny thing is that Lovecraft is not something that I’m into – in fact, I strongly dislike his work,” said Fink in the course of the interview. “I don’t think it influenced me, though I do like horror in general, and I recognize the strong influence Lovecraft as a writer and idea man had on horror.” Citing Stephen King, Cranor then added: “Like Joseph, I’m not a fan of Lovecraft’s work, and he kind of sounds like an awful person. "
Excerpts from an interview with these fudge packers.
>>
I've been wanting to check our nightvale since I've seen that nightmind made a video on it, and I love his recommendations. I gotta finish everymanhybrid and twelve tribe first though
>>
File: fink.jpg (18KB, 250x375px) Image search: [Google]
fink.jpg
18KB, 250x375px
>>19266075
>>19266121
" I actually hate Lovecraft, both personally and for his writing. I don’t think anyone can deny that he was a shitty person. His whole “cosmic horror” thing mainly came out of his intense racism. And I think that, on a prose level, he was also a deeply shitty writer. I mean his stuff his almost unreadable for me. That said, I think he was brilliant on an idea level, and that’s definitely where we connect with him. Our Lovecraft book, for me, is a way of leaving behind all vestiges of his writing, including the stupid names of his gods, while keeping the brilliance of his unnerving ideas and images. Night Vale is often called Lovecraftian, but we never consciously chose to make it that way. I just think Lovecraft, awful writer that he was, has had such an impact on modern horror and science fiction that it’s impossible to work in that field without using some of the ideas he generated. Which kind of annoys me, but I respect the old racist bastard all the same."

^^http://teleread.com/mutual-shunning-around-night-vale-h-p-lovecraft/index.html

So basically, yeah. Completely tries to rip off lovecraftian themes, injects social justice into them (hamfistedly at that) and then shits on the person that arguably inspired this whole shit show. That's nightvale summed up for you. Pic related: this is what is killing entertainment and literature.
>>
>>19266121
>>19266141
This is gonna make it hard to listen to Nightvale anymore. I'm all for seperating a man from his work, but jeez.
>>
>>19266141
Are the creators themselves gay?
They really fucking shove it in there.
>>
>>19266153
I'm all for that too. Thing is, the man can't separate himself from his work and this makes it shitty. Like I said, the writing is actually decent. Its the politics and gayness that is overtly shoehorned in that ruins it for me. Its like tumblr pandering, and it should be no surprise that tumblr is where most of the nightvale fanclub resides.
>>
>>19266163
I can't find anything on if Fink himself is gay, although judging from his picture and his works I would say that its a safe enough bet. However, both him and co-creator Jeffery Cranor are both Jewish. So it can go either way really.
>>
>>19266170
Agree completely. I understand if they wanted to put a gay character in, even. It wouldn't bother me at all.
But holy shit, the way they go about it is as subtle as a cinderblock to the head.
And it adds absolutely nothing to the story. Who the fuck was listening to it and thought "yeah, this is cool, but I wonder is Cecil likes dicks"?
Learn to be subtle if you absolutely MUST shove politics in, but it's always better if you just maintain the goddamn story.
Looking at you, Last Podcast on the Left.
>>
File: 31849216_p6_master1200.jpg (490KB, 1092x1158px) Image search: [Google]
31849216_p6_master1200.jpg
490KB, 1092x1158px
I live in the place Night Vale is based on. Not far from Death Valley.

It doesn't really encapsulate what goes on out here. There's so much more. Much... subtler.
>>
>>19266211
Where is it based off of?
>>
>>19266203
Have to agree with you as well. It would have been bearable if it had been a little more subtle and less in-your-face, but the way they wrote out the whole Cecil-Carlos romance almost made it seem like the central point of the story. Alice isn't dead is even worse, where a lesbian relationship is literally the central point of the story. Repeating myself here, but a lot of potential for entertaining horror completely squandered for social justice brownie points.
>>
are there any nightvale-ish podcasts that /x/ would recommend? I also dislike nightvale for the gay shilling
>>
>>19266227
I've never checked out Alice Isn't Dead, is it like Nightvale only with lesbians instead of gays?
>>
File: whatlake.jpg (300KB, 868x713px) Image search: [Google]
whatlake.jpg
300KB, 868x713px
>>19266215
The Salton Exclusion Zone in general, but specifically further north into Kern County and south of Death Valley. I really don't recommend visiting, as the air out here is pretty poisonous to outsiders. You'll end up with bronchitis if you don't use closed circuit AC, and the cops/military convoys are pretty wary of outsiders.

Pic related. This is a lake of blood right up the hill from where I live.
>>
>>19266241
I also have an interest in this. I liked the feel of Nightvale but the creator won't shut the fuck up.
>>
>>19266245
How the hell do people live there if that's the case?
>>
>>19266242
Its the story of a lesbian truck driver trying to reunite with her lost lover and being trailed by spoopy skinwalker-type creatures. Otherworldly, yes. But its not styled in the form of a small town radio show.
>>
>>19266245
Tell us some spooky things about your hometown, desertanon
>>
>>19265178
This is right. It turned from cool to cringey. Except the music which was always cringey.
>>
>>19266270
some of the music is great
peaches was 10/10 and they had an adam green track on there (don’t remember the name)
>>
>>19266257
Sounds like it'd get boring fast, especially seeink how Fink handled Night Vale.
>>
I love the first bunch of episodes but I think for me it got unbearable around the live episodes. IMO they end up answering too many questions, ruins a lot of the mysteries
>>
>>19266281
I liked the music too.
>>
File: 0235.png (177KB, 506x832px) Image search: [Google]
0235.png
177KB, 506x832px
>>19266256
We got used to it, I guess? I've lived here my whole life. The few times I left for any significant period of time, I got bronchitis when I came back and then it faded and I was fine. I'm told it's some kind of special mold on the sand out here that activates and infests your lungs when it's moistened by being in there. Kills a few people every year.

As for the cops and convoys? I dunno. You get used to those and they get used to you. Small town stuff, I guess.

>>19266261
A common farewell out here is 'don't die in a pit'. There's a lot of random tin mines and pits out in the desert and people die in them all the time, so it's kind of a morbid way of telling them to take care.

Elderly folks, when they think it's time to die, tend to drive out into the desert and just... walk. That's also it's own kind of saying at the elderly home; 'If I ever get so old I don't know who my kids are, take me out to the desert and tell me to walk.'
>>
>>19266299
That's how I plan of dieing if I get old. Grew up in the desert and that shit calls to me every day. I regret moving away
>>
>>19266285
That was basically my assessment of it. I tried getting into the whole nightvale/alice thing during my trucking days but the creators insistence on making it the gay pride show just ended up turning me off, despite the writing. Shame really, but I ended up listening to lovecraft audiobooks through the long nights and that more than made up for it all.
>>
>>19266299
That's fucking nuts, dude. Honestly, it sounds like a vety unique corner of the world.
>>
>>19266299
Ever see spirits out in the desert? The ones that come out just as night is starting to fall and the shadows grow long.
>>
File: 1497581489856.jpg (1MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
1497581489856.jpg
1MB, 2048x1536px
>>19266313
I hope to follow in your footsteps. The heat and wind have been getting to me lately. Want to just get on my bike and get out of here, someday. Tired of the violence.

>>19266320
It's normal, to me. Only when I leave the desert do I realize how strange my town must look. Your air is so thick to me, and I can't believe you aren't just killing each other.

>>19266330
I've seen... things, in the desert. Elaborate further?
>>
>>19266332
>elaborate further
Please.
>>
>>19266318
Ever see anything odd during your trucking trips?
>>
>>19266347
Odd, yes. Paranormal, no. Oddest thing I seen was some tweaker at a gas station at 6 in the morning insisting he just saw Michelle Obama drive by. Fuckin florida.
>>
>>19266332
What are you 45?
How many people live there?
>>
>>19266353
Is trucking a comfy job?
>>
>>19266377
Yes and no. It got me out of a shitty place in life so I needed it at the time. But its long hours for low pay and I ended up falling asleep behind the wheel after not sleeping for nearly two days. That's why I'm not doing that job any more. You drive by lots of new places, rarely do you ever have the chance to interact with these places outside of trying to make small talk with gas station clerks or walmart workers just because you realize its been days since you had a conversation with someone in person.

Some people seem to love it though. Good for them I guess.
>>
>>19266332
>>19266343
Come on desert anon, I've stayed up waiting to hear spoopy desert stories now would you please deliver?
>>
File: 01515_973rvjtDmfG_1200x900.jpg (88KB, 675x900px) Image search: [Google]
01515_973rvjtDmfG_1200x900.jpg
88KB, 675x900px
>>19266343
Evening and nighttime are fine. You get some things around that time, like convoys that move at night, the hidden underground plane hangars for night test flights out on the base, idiots trying to explore the tunnels... But that's all logical stuff. The real shit happens during broad daylight. I blame the 115F heat and brightness.

I see joggers out in the desert sometimes. Crazy bastards, endurance athletes, maybe heading to the buddhist temple south of here on some kind of trial. I try to stop and talk to them if I ride past. Sometimes, they just... don't even acknowledge you. I've seen them just turn off the road when I get close, run into the bushes, and vanish. Bunch of fucking crazies, I guess, but there's one time that really stuck out to me.

Older guy, maybe in his fifties, wearing a leather vest. Looks kind of like he's a hell's angel(we get those out here) but didn't have a patch or anything. Just walking along. I was thinking he got ditched out here or maybe wiped his bike out and was wandering around in a pain stupor, so I pull up alongside him and ask if he's okay. He tells me he's fine, waves me off, and I shrug and go on. Then, in my mirror, I see him turn around and... walk up. I dont even know how to describe it, really. It looked like he fell over for a second, but he started kicking his legs and went *up*. Like he just decided air was now ground. I do the hardest double take of my life, and it's not just my mirror. Real quick I turn around, but in the time I'm looking both ways up the road he's gone. Just vanished on a straight road in a huge open desert. Nowhere to hide. Just vanished.
>>
>>19266365
I'm 27. According to the sign at the edge of town, 27,313 people live here.

Oh, and about that lake of blood, I have no fucking idea. I go up there on occasion, it's an abandoned farm. Always figured it had something to do with cattle getting slaughtered in the nearby building, but it's always still wet.
>>
>>19266423
Thats a fascinating story anon, thank you for sharing. Something about the desert has always made it a magnet for odd occurrences, I wasn't being ironic when I asked if you've ever seen spirits out there. Reality can slip in some places, it can crack.
>>
>>19266434
The blood lake is caused by algae dont worry, also nice bike, looks excellent, I was thinking of buying one kind of similar to that look.

That's interesting, for some reason I thought you were older, specially because of the place
>>
>>19266461
I'd wager this is one of those places.

>>19266549
Algae surviving in regular 100+F temperatures? I guess it's possible.
>>
>>19266575
Well it's either that, contamination specially.with Cooper, blood or high levels of salt concentrations in the water.
In any ways it is not a good sign
>>
>>19265912
the weather segments are the best parts you uncultured swine.
>>
>>19267096
I agree. Except when Fink uses his own music.
He's awful.
>>
>>19266423
What's this town named?
>>
>>19267140
Eh... Well, it's not like you're gonna find me with just the city and the fact I ride a bike. Ridgecrest is where I'm at.
>>
>>19267148
Thanks, i wanna research. It sounds very very interesting.
>>
>>19267148
Honestly, I'm kinda sad I can't visit because of the air. I've always wanted to visit the desert but I've lived in the midwest my whole life, nothing but corn fields as far as the eye can see, and a creepy little desert town sounds rad.
Fuck, Minnesota is boring.
>>
>>19265598
Fuck. I can't believe the US President listened to WTNV before he got sworn in.
>>
>>19267251
He listens to Alex Jones too, so it's not too far off.
>>
>>19267187
>>19267199
It is if you're into odd things, but there's really not a lot out here. If you're dead set on coming into this place, just don't stop at any of the shantytowns. You'll know what they are when you see them. I think one of them put up a free weed sign to bait in travelers.
>>
>>19267369
Got any good shantytown stories?
>>
File: 1497344846649.jpg (216KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1497344846649.jpg
216KB, 1024x768px
>>19267394
Don't really go out there often. It's the normal stuff though, people holding machetes and clubs in their doorways if you stop, cars vanishing in those areas, the census skipping them over, ect.
>>
>>19267418
Goddamn, that sounds unsettling as fuck.
So are they pretty small?
>>
>>19267429
What you consider to be unsettling seems pretty soft to me, desu. Most of them are less than a city block in size, and just stuck to the side of a freeway in the middle of the desert.
>>
>>19267443
This sounds like an absolutely amazing setting, it's a shame Night Vale swuandered it. You've really piqued my interest in it. Thanks for taking the time to talk to me about it.
Got any?stories you wanna share? That one about the leather vest guy was spooky as hell, like a glitch in a Bethesda game.
>>
>>19267450
Sorry for the odd typos btw, I'm phoneposting scum.
>>
File: tumblr_od6klybDOZ1tod76fo1_540.jpg (232KB, 540x736px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_od6klybDOZ1tod76fo1_540.jpg
232KB, 540x736px
>>19263995
pretty good storywriting if you don't mind all of the tumblr fan service, they just finished their 5th year (with each year being a different story line). they are really good about reconnecting random non sequiturs into the over-arching plot, and a lot of their diatribes can get pretty profound if you think about them.

the first two years stick to a very vague and eerie plot development style where they allude to things and let your imagination run with it. after the Strexcorp arch is when they start pandering (i don't blame them since it's tumblr that made them popular in the first place). but it starts to get more in detail with world building and character development which takes away from the eerie and uncertain atmosphere

if you can power through year three, year 4 is about "strangers" slowly invading, replacing the citizens and destroying the town and year 5 has to do with the reality(ies) in which nightvale exists collapsing in on eachother.

they also had a book that had to do with the man no one remembers that was a good listen.

>if you can get over the host being a very openly gay man and how blatantly PC the writers make things it's pretty entertaining and there are a lot of pretty interesting details and parallels to other fiction.also there is some damn good satire in there
>>
>>19266058
> some ancient female god was fucking around

turns out she tried saving the town from nuclear destruction and in turn is the reason the town is so weird to begin with.
>>
>>19266203
from what i've read a lot of that over-the-top gayness is from the narrator. (who is gay IRL) the idea is to normalize that gushyness like you'd see in a straight couple (basically make it just as real as you'd imagine a gossipy young woman who is deeply infatuated with her boyfriend)

it's still cringy as well and unnecessary 90% of the time but it makes cecil seem more human in that regard. disregard that it's a queer relationship and it's no different someone talking too much about their personal life in reality
>>
>>19266285
it picks up after a few episodes, season 2 isn't so much about alice but trying to figure out why she had to disappear, it gets more subtle as nightvale gets less subtle
>>
>>19266211
Ridgecrest/Inyokern reporting in here. Valley is creepy as fuck, military base doesn't help. Considered doing a comic based on the spoop around this area until I discovered WTNV exists. Oh well.
>>
>>19264078
Correction: The firsrt 5 episodes.
>>
>>19266241
knifepoint horror
tanis
the message
the black tapes
>>
>>19266290
yes would have liked it better if they didn't try to flesh it out. storylines longer than two episodes made it cringe
>>
>>19270691
tanis is awesome
>>
>>19267187
Oh my god. I've been reading your replies for a while now, wondering where you live. I grew up in Lake Isabella, and have been to Ridgecrest several times when I was growing up, and my sister even lived there for a year. Military doesn't care about people coming into the city, and the air is fine; it's just a lot more dry compared to surrounding areas in California.

Ridgecrest ain't shit
Thread posts: 90
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.