[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Kola Superdeep Borehole

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5

File: kola-super-deep-borehole.jpg (52KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
kola-super-deep-borehole.jpg
52KB, 600x450px
What was it for? The only reason I can find is "they wanted to see what happens when you drill deep"

I don't really belive this, why would they spend all that fucking money just out of interest?

Did they know something was there?
Where they trying to find something?
>>
>>19258559
there are people who actually have the means to satisfy their curiosity, poorfaggot
>>
They're gonna unearth the old ones
>>
>>19258575
This
Science is about doing things because you can for the sole purpose of learning
>>
>>19258559
>I don't really belive this, why would they spend all that fucking money just out of interest?

Large Hadron Collider - hey guys, what happens if we smash particles together at REALLY high speeds?
Apollo Program - hey guys, what's it like on the moon?
Challenger Deep - hey guys, what's at the bottom of the ocean?
Manhattan Project - hey guys, is it possible to split an atom?

I think you'll find most of the really expensive shit is done "just out of interest." It's after we do it that we find out all the stuff we can improve with what we learned in the doing. The best you're going to find for expensive projects with a purpose are things like the 3 Gorges Dam or ancient megastructures.
>>
I mean, it does teach us alot about the Earth and its history, so yes. I'm willing to bet they see spooky shit on occasion, tho.
>>
File: 1498786557823.png (1MB, 877x1195px) Image search: [Google]
1498786557823.png
1MB, 877x1195px
Bump, actual topic.

Yes you are all right. Done for curiosity, science, learning. But you can't deny that all these events have massive kinetic potential for future change.
Surely some scientists would hope to find a civilization was on the other side of the moon.
Essentially they are throwing darts in the dark, just maybe somehow they know where the dartbdartboard at. Maybe these experiments gave them a candle to light the dark just a tiny bit.
So in digging down deep, what's the potential?
Not pruning, just bumping.

How far down exactly did it go?
>>
they were unleashing the dark one. expect wwiii within the next century
>>
File: Eyes.jpg (565KB, 2560x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Eyes.jpg
565KB, 2560x1600px
>>19258678
>hey guys, what's at the bottom of the ocean?

We still have no idea about this, 95% of the ocean floor is unmapped.
>>
File: images-5.jpg (3KB, 144x144px) Image search: [Google]
images-5.jpg
3KB, 144x144px
>>19258559
It was to better study the consistency of the earths mantle and potentially be the first group of humans to reach the mohorovicic discontinuity
It didnt even get close.
As one would suspect the earths insides are hellish hot and any drill they used at such depths would begin to melt due to the molten plastic like state the crustal material was in.
>>
>>19258559
>I don't really belive this, why would they spend all that fucking money just out of interest?
have you ever read ANYTHING pertaining to science and discovery? half of the human progress is made because rich people are bored, the other half are accidents
>>
File: 1497644318804.png (869KB, 986x797px) Image search: [Google]
1497644318804.png
869KB, 986x797px
>>19258559
>Kola Superdeep Borehole
that is the sexiest thread title in a long time
>>
>>19258678
>LHC: Physics research
>Apollo: Space race, beat the russians, fufill JFK's goal
>Challenger deep: Because a rich fag with money could
>Manhattan Project: Develop nuclear weapons to win WW2
Big expenditures need big payoffs, the bigger the cost the bigger the justification needed. Governments and investors dont fork out money "just to see what its like".
In the case of the Kola SDBH its likely to research new oil drilling technology with some geological research payoff as bonus, as well as bragging rights because russians love those.
>>
>>19259653
Eww no.
http://moocs.southampton.ac.uk/oceans/2014/10/04/mapping-the-deep-and-the-real-story-behind-the-95-unexplored-oceans/
>100% mapped via satellite @ 5k resolution
>10-15% mapped via sonar at 100m res
>.05% mapped to 1m res, and sometimes actually visit via submersible (manned or auto)

>>19260894
>LHC: Physics research
>Challenger deep: Because a rich fag with money could
Right, that's what I said. "Hey guys, what if...?" But I'll give you the Apollo and Manhattan Projects had motives other than research.
>>
>>19258559
They wanted to find hell and they did. Hell is real.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyXtHeHNldE
>>
>>19258678
>Challenger Deep - hey guys, what's at the bottom of the ocean?

A fucking great, big door, apparently.
>>
>>19258559
That's exactly what it was. 12 kilometers, and they could go no further. Deepest anyone has ever gone.
>>
>>19260894
>geological and drill technology research
>>
>>19259900
Would it be possible now with lasers?
>>
>>19264633
That's interesting, considering how far oil drilling has gone since then.
>>
>>19258740
I want to believe this picture means something but I have a feeling it's just Bob Dylan/Cedric Bixler-Zavala style word barf.
>>
>>19258559
Geologists always get shit on, but when their work means something to the world everyone runs to them for help

The hole was a method to see what was actually 12 km below the surface and it was funded by the Soviets who spent tons of money relative to their total budget on scientific projects like this.

Next there's going to be a thread about the "actual purpose" of Mir and how it was used as a relay station between the aliens and earth.
>>
>>19258740
>Mars is Australia
kek

Fucking love that one, like as soon as you step on the shores of Australia you need a space suit
>>
>>19265317
the US tried to do something similar before the Soviets, but due to a lack of funding it had to be cancelled:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Mohole
>>
>>19258740
>But you can't deny that all these events have massive kinetic potential for future change.

Kinetic energy or potential energy, dipshit. There's no such thing as kinetic potential.
>>
>>19265334
I think he means the pictures from the Mars rover
>>
>>19264633
Actually it was passed in 2008 and 2011, just barely though.
>>
>>19265505
That's the "Australia is Mars" tier one
>>
>Australia is mars
>Abo randomly happens across mars rover
>'ey chief we wuz martians n' shiet
>Desperate to cover up their deception NASA leaks some information
>Breaking news: humans originate from aboriginals who came to earth from mars
>>
The purpose was to drill through the crust and see what was under it.
>>
>>19258678
LHC - Fake attempt at proving particles exist the us government already knows exist

Apollo - show boat program. I think it likely they did go to the moon but what u get to see is a production

Challenger - Exploring the harsh conditions of the bottom of the ocean provides scientists an insight to how life could thrive or evolve even in the harshest conditions

manhattan project - First energy weapons used.
>>
>>19266341
Lava?
>>
>>19267132
No, BEES
>>
>>19261341
Maybe I should watch baron blood, is it good?
>>
>>19267132
Magma you dingbat
>>
>>19261341
One of my all time favourite hoaxes
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.