[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

cthulhu

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6

File: IMG_1297.jpg (137KB, 567x803px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1297.jpg
137KB, 567x803px
Do you think cthulhu is real or just fiction? I know he was made by H.P lovecraft but what are your opinions on the great old one?
>>
>>19253179
>I know he was made by H.P lovecraft

just answered your own question, newfaggito
>>
Think with your head.
>>
>>19253179
question is retarded, but I love the idea of HP Lovecraft and the whole forbidden knowledge meme that can drive you insane. Probably why I like bloodborne so much
>>
>>19253179
Short answer? Fiction, but the background on it is neat.

Lovecraft was a big fan of Mesopotamian myth, anyway, in the Mesopotamian pantheon there was this deity, Tiamat, now, Tiamat birthed eleven monsters, one of which was a fish-man, the name of that monster? KulullĂ»

Not that far off eh?
>>
File: Kutha.png (393KB, 2000x2202px) Image search: [Google]
Kutha.png
393KB, 2000x2202px
>>19253179
There was a city called Kutha in northern Babylon. Lord Nergal son of Enlil was the cities patron god.

There was also Lord Dagon who was more or less a fertility god that became somewhat popular in Akkad.

Other than those two examples there is no other correlation between HPL's lore and the real world.

TLDR
Cthulhu is total fiction...
>>
>>19253679
Tiamat fag here, that's a pretty neato tidbit
>>
Cthulhu's actually real. Lovecraft got him from the necronomicon.
>>
>>19253179
Real beings called the Elder ones that existed before time.
>>
>>19253712
this is correct.
>>
>>19253712
Necronomicon, lovecraft got that from his dreams, ans his uncle histories.

So Lovecraft uncle was the source of all.
>>
File: 18781997.jpg (35KB, 340x599px) Image search: [Google]
18781997.jpg
35KB, 340x599px
>>19253712
>Cthulhu's actually real. Lovecraft got him from the necronomicon.

The problem with this assertion is that the ancient manuscript known as the Necronomicon has never existed.

There have been various books published by that name, but most of them are works of fiction. The "Simon Necronomicon" is a compilation of Sumerian, Babylonian and Akkadian rituals intermixed with HPL lore.
>>
>>19253791
God bless HPL. Truly, history would have been irrecoverable without him.
>>
>>19253612
>Lovecraft was a big fan of Mesopotamian myth, anyway, in the Mesopotamian pantheon there was this deity, Tiamat, now, Tiamat birthed eleven monsters, one of which was a fish-man, the name of that monster? KulullĂ»

Stop spreading that bullcrap
http://www.hplovecraft.com/life/myths.aspx#sumer
>>
File: image14.aspx.jpg (102KB, 638x454px) Image search: [Google]
image14.aspx.jpg
102KB, 638x454px
>>19253612
>>19253822
>Lovecraft was a big fan of Mesopotamian myth
Possibly. But I did not get that impression from his writings.

>Tiamat, now, Tiamat birthed eleven monsters
Yes she bore eleven monsters in order the destroy Anu and his offspring.

Tiamat was the Babylonian name for the primordial mother. The Sumerians called her by several names depending on context.
>>
>>19253179
The cosmic horror of Lovecraft isn't so much that Cthulhu or Dagon or Hastur are real. It's that something like them could be real, and if it was, it would destroy any understanding of the universe we thought we'd gained over the last thousand years. And worse, it's almost inevitable that whatever is out there doesn't even care.
>>
>>19253791
Its real its just not something that mainstream scholars are aware of.
>>
File: 8778e854d54d00f3069d7fb410a48dde.jpg (170KB, 1024x706px) Image search: [Google]
8778e854d54d00f3069d7fb410a48dde.jpg
170KB, 1024x706px
>>19254437
>Its real its just not something that mainstream scholars are aware of.

I own 2 separate hardcover editions and several paperbacks. I know the book very well.

I have even had a lengthy conversation with the man many believe to be "Simon".

Is Sumerian religion real? Yes, I have faithfully practiced the faith for over 30 years.

Is the Necronomicon an actual ancient manuscript written by "the mad arab"? The "mad" arab? LOL, do you really have to ask?

Please do not take this post the wrong way, but if you have any evidence I may have overlooked, I would love to hear it.
>>
Eldritch
>>
>>19254437
>Mainstream scholars aren't aware of it
>But mr. 4chan user is
>>
>>19254620
There was no mad Arab the author is unknown.
>>
File: The Angry Arab wrote this!.jpg (115KB, 1062x332px) Image search: [Google]
The Angry Arab wrote this!.jpg
115KB, 1062x332px
>>19254963
Are we talking about the one that exists in Lovecraft's stories or the one published by Avon Books?

(pic related)
>>
>>19255005
The real necronomicon. The one Lovecraft writes about
>>
>>19255029
Still waiting for any evidence of it's existence.

Yes, I realize that there is 99.9% chance you are trolling, but I am an eternal optimist.

So lets hear it, anon...
>>
>>19255057
Lovecraft. I have my information from a reputable source but he'd chew me out for talking about it on here
>>
>>19255069
Now, I realize that there is 100% chance you are trolling.

Congratulations Anon, you have just won the internet, lol...
>>
pretty obviously real.
>>
>>19253179
This one time I smoked twice a regular breakthrough dose of DMT. The only time I met something worthy of the 'god' label. Somewhat similar to Azathoth/Yog Sothoth. Gigantic mass made from tentacles, mouths with sharp teeth & eyes. Grinned at me like I'm not in on some joke. Didn't seem evil, though. Felt my mind slipping looking at that, but also couldn't stop looking. There was also something shaped like a man to the left of that, I didn't get a good look to describe further. Not larping. Makes me wonder if he was onto something, his kind of stuff does come up in psychedelic art sometimes.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.