[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Odinism

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

File: odinism.jpg (44KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
odinism.jpg
44KB, 480x360px
Are there any Odinists about? I'm struggling to find any good amount of information on it on the internet. I'd like to learn more, and I'm interested in converting to it.

All I really know is that it's considered a "heathen" religion, notes multiple gods with Odin being the allfather (hence the name), and that it's either Vanir or both Aesir and Vanir.

There's also a difference between Odinism and Asatru, from what I gather, and I'm primarily interested in Odinism.

Any information helps, but specifically, what should one -do- as an Odinist? How do you get started? What are some good materials to branch into it? What are some good respects to pay as you make your way into it?

I've also read that it requires a certain heritage, could someone enlighten me on that? I'm Irish/English.

Thank you in advance.
>>
File: 1498904802717.jpg (433KB, 584x584px) Image search: [Google]
1498904802717.jpg
433KB, 584x584px
>>19245814
>Are there any Odinists about?
No.

>I'm struggling to find any good amount of information on it on the internet. I'd like to learn more, and I'm interested in converting to it.
Because no real records of it exist. Just people who tried to recreate it. On one hand you have new age people trying to start a pagan revival based on their peace and love bullshit, on the other you have right wing retards thinking it needs to be recreated as a racial religion. But neither of these are valid because we have so few traces of what any of these pagan faiths were. Mainly due to two factors.
1. Christianity stamping it all out and destroying that shit when they converted them.
2. Most of it it was in oral traditions so the vast majority of it has long since been forgotten once Christianity was the major faith. If nobody around believes in it and passes this knowledge on, it dies out. Especially when the people around you aren't fond of people spreading that knowledge. About the best you can do is get together some vague scraps from what did survive, some folklore, and the occasional holiday that was co-opted by Christianity.

>I've also read that it requires a certain heritage, could someone enlighten me on that?
That's bullshit.
>>
>>19245874
Then what should one do from this point, then?

Is it effectively a 'dead' religion too far gone to follow properly?
>>
>>19245883
>Is it effectively a 'dead' religion too far gone to follow properly?

Yep. Unless you want to follow one of the recreations. But if you wanted to follow the original then you are shit out of luck. That goes for any variant of European paganism. It's literal LARPing based on what people think it was about/want it to be about. But it's a bunch of guessing.
>>
>>19245900
That's somewhat disappointing, honestly, but I appreciate your feedback. Thank you.
>>
>>19245874
>Christianity stamping it all out and destroying that shit when they converted them.
Wrong. Syncretism is the mode Christianity uses when it enters a new area, i.e., taking parts of local religions and making absorbing them. Today is Odin's day, Woden's day, or Wednesday as it is pronounced today. The christian churches made great leaps and bounds because they never gambled on defeating Europeans outright. They compromised with them instead.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.