[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alzheimers and other brain disorders

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

File: alzheimer_brain.jpg (93KB, 351x362px) Image search: [Google]
alzheimer_brain.jpg
93KB, 351x362px
So innawoods and skinwalkers are spoopy, but this is about something more real; Alzheimer's disease. It's not really paranormal but the thought of it to me is much scarier than any "gone camping and things went quiet.... too quiet" story. It is a person's brain decomposing while they are still alive, removing all memories and knowledge gained throughout their entire life. Not recognising your family, your best friends, looking in the mirror and not recognising yourself. Eventually you forget how to do basic important functions and your body fails, and you die knowing nothing. You know even less than when you are born.
Anyway, here's my story. It's not particularly scary but maybe some of you guys have more interesting ones.

>me and my family go to visit gramps, i would've been around 12 years old at the time
>gramps has had alzheimer's for a few years now
>i'd only met him once or twice before because he lived in WA and we lived in victoria (Australia)
>when we get there his current wife betty brings us in the house. my actual grandma died before i was born
>gramps is sitting in the living room, we all walk in
>"now who is this?" says gramps
>dad doesn't say anything. he hasn't seen him for a few years
>betty says "this is your son and his family"
>"my son? matthew?"
>"yes, dad, it's me"
>gramps pauses for a bit and gives dad a cautious look "you aren't my son"
>cue awkward laughter. i was a stupid kid but i could see the pain in my dads face
>betty and dad spend time explaining to (or convincing) gramps that it is actually his son
later
>after dinner we watch some footy
>gramps talking about players from a long time ago like they were playing now
>nobody corrects him
>"have we had dinner?"
>"yes gramps we just ate"
>"oh, what did we have?"
>"bangers and mash"
>"oh, ok"
>maybe 15 minutes passes
>"have we had dinner?"
>same conversation ensues
>at other points he refers to betty as janine, my late grandma's name. also refers to me as matthew
cont. 1/2
>>
later again
>betty puts gramps to bed at around 9pm
>my sister and i watch the south park movie (classic), after it finishes i go to use the bathroom
>everything is dark, walk past the living room, gramps is sitting in a chair
>"hi gramps, just going to the toilet"
>in a stern voice he says "boy, come here"
>i do so
>he says to me "matthew (my fathers name), i've realised i don't have much more time. you're young and have your whole life to live. but life goes fast, my boy. one day you're young, healthy and smart and next, you're like me. one day you'll look in the mirror and wonder what happened and where everything went. and what can i say for my life?"
>he went silent for a long time, i thought he was done so i stood up
>"i don't know matthew. i just don't know"
>like i said i was a stupid kid with probable ADHD so i just walked out and went to the bathroom
>but i still remember the look on his face
>it was desperate, like he was searching so hard for something beyond his reach. as if he wanted me to help him but at the same time knew i couldn't. underneath the visage of a simple man with alzheimers there was him understanding he was losing something, that things weren't as they were supposed to be.
>on the way back he's still there, i say "night gramps"
>"night boy. please make the most of your time here"
after a few days we flew back home and gramps died a few months later.
I think about him and his mind a lot. To him he would've died having barely lived as he had next-to-no recollection of anything. His mind rotting away like a dead person's while he was still alive. Perhaps he would've been peaceful due to the fact he wouldn't know what was going on, but in some way he had to have known something was up, and to me that small knowledge would be agonizing.
But anyway, that's the story. Like I said it's not super interesting but personally I'm more afraid of getting alzheimers than getting eaten by skinwalkers or whatever shit
>>
File: images.duckduckgo.com.jpg (324KB, 640x562px) Image search: [Google]
images.duckduckgo.com.jpg
324KB, 640x562px
>>19234138
Wow. Anybody noticed how much the brain actually looks like cauliflower?
>>
Huntingtons sounds horrible OP.
>>
That story just broke my heart. I came here for spooks and conspiracies, not feels my dude.
>>
>>19234165

Yeah reading back on it I realise it was more depressing than scary (if at all scary). Sorry /x/
>>
Cool story bro. Did your gramps try to touch your dick?
>>
>>19234138
Alzheimer's is one hell of a beast. My grandma used to yell at me and my mother (her daughter) to get out of her house everytime we went to visit her. Apparently she thought we were nurses that wanted to take her to the retirement home/hospital. Sometimes she would even start throwing stuff at us.
>>
>>19234183
Did your grandpa touched yours? Bitch i can see you havent had enough love in your life. Please suicide.
>>
>>19234138
>tfw Early Onset-Dementia
>tfw I can't remember anything short term, and my long term has been getting worse for a couple of years now
>tfw I'm only 19
It's hard to envision the rest of my life like this, which is natural given the situation I suppose. My apologies about your grandpa OP. My grandpa went through the same thing before he passed, though it was for the most part worse on him. He went on for years with little recollection of anything and some understanding of what was going on around him.
>>
>>19234138
>>19234151
>>19234170
This bummed me out man. If my wife dies before me and i get diagnosed with this, saying goodbye and a quick suicide is really the only option, putting myself and the family through that hell
>>
>>19234138
I agree, it's pretty scary.

you never know, it could also be kinda paranormal too. not that alzheimer's itself is paranormal, obviously it's not. but it brings up the question of what happens to your spirit as your mind disintegrates. does dementia affect the soul? on the one hand you would think not, since the soul and the mind are not considered to be the same thing. but if the mind, body, and soul are all interdependent on each other while you're alive, what effect does that kind of degenerative disease have on that interdependence?
>>
The body is just the hardware (or wetware if you prefer), not the software.
Those who've worked hospitals and other places where people are close to death have very commonly found the final hours to bring a very large percentage back to full lucidity.
The data is still there.
The memories aren't gone, only difficult for the physical body to access.
>>
>>19234138
Look up "horsetail" an herb, omega 3's 6's and 9's, turmeric and ginko biloba.

All good, also a diet high in protein and good fats helps along with hobbies and activities.
>>
>>19234138
>It's not really paranormal
SAGE
>>
>>19234138
>>19235585
Please take care if yourself anon, you need to actively take measures to maintain your brain since this runs in your family. I cant imagine a worse kind of hell
>>
>>19234138
>>19234151
>>19234717
I wasn't going to reply as this is a sore subject since my grandfather died of it and my 64 yo father has early onset dementia, but fuck it. Knowledge and experiences help with this shit.

In families with Alzheimer's present, offspring are genetically predisposed as evidenced with my father. That makes me twice as likely to get it so at 31 I'm treating that fact seriously. My grandfather fought it for 7 years and died at 93. The second to last time I saw him was 2012 and at that time he had a very limited short term memory but his long term was excellent. He told me about being in the army corps of engineers in the pacific during ww2, how they would build airfields practically overnight and how he was in one of the first groups to go into Tokyo after their surrender. He told me how they were a week or two away from their own atomic bomb and how the lead scientist was crying and tried to kill himself as the coprs disassembled their bomb. He did it with amazing accuracy. He was a man wi the exceptional knowledge in many fields, that fact along with his constant walking and working up until he was put in a home 2years prior to his death is what I think helped him hold on so long. He knew who my father and I were up until about 6 months before his death.

My whole point is if you make an effort to complete a task at least an hour a day, read and recall, and generally move around throughout the day then you up your chances of using your brain quote a lot longer. I've noticed improvements the past 2 years since I started, as has my father.

That being said I hope I don't make it past 70 but my luck I'll be 100 and trapped In my body...
>>
>>19234154
The same genes control folding in brassicas as in brains.
>>
>>19235415
Native Americans believed that those who developed alzhiemer's had their mind partially the spirit world, while their body remained in the physical world.
>>
>>19236187

Its not uncommon for alzheimer patients to hallucinate and see Dead relatives, people who aren't here and never were. Very strange. It'd be interesting to see if their brain can pick up different frequencies and maybe see something we can't.
>>
File: 6f4.png (568KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
6f4.png
568KB, 960x720px
>>19234506
>>
>>19234138
Yeah if you condition your brain wrong and don't feed it actual functioning nutrients, you can count on your semantic qualities taking second seat in the metabolic cycle that is your brain.
>>
This pic looks a lot like a walnut and funnily they were used in a study to ameliorate cogniute deficits.
>>
I was just exposed to Alzheimer's a few weeks ago. I knew about the disease, but I never really had to handle it face to face as no one in my family has ever had it (thank God). I began working my new job as a secretary and discovered one of the clients we deal with has it. He'll try and stay on the phone with me believing that I'll be able to help him with general life issues (bills from other companies, etc.). I schedule his arrivals and departures from our clinic, and often times he's just missing- no one can find him, so he simply doesn't come. One day he had called us stating that he wasn't going to be able to come in because of issues with his driver, and because he didn't know where he was going. Five minutes later, he was standing in front of me- I was shocked. It's a very scary and very sad sight to see, and I, unfortunately, will have to watch it happen to this poor man during my employment. I can't do anything to help him.
>>
>>19234138
>>19234138
Healthy brain is an illusion. As you live your life your brain performance variates day-to-day. Every time you wake up you feel zoned out but replenished. Have a cup of coffee and you feel focused but jitterish. Some time in the afternoon is the peak of your creativity. Some time in the evening while you are taking a shower you have a peak of insightfulness. Alzheimer is nothing new that you haven't experienced before, it's just a very specific gulley of your brain performance multiplied many times.
>>
>>19236766
>Yeah if you condition your brain wrong and don't feed it actual functioning nutrients

Care to elaborate anon?
>>
When I was 17, I saw my 76 year-old grandfather in the late stages of Alzheimer's. A man who had been a strong, dignified farmer was reduced to screaming in terror at any nurse who tried to do anything for him.

OP was right. It was horrifying and a little /x/. My sister and I had to leave, because it was just too disturbing to see. Didn't get to say good bye to my grandpa. He died a few weeks later.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.