[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the difference between believing and knowing?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: Desert.jpg (826KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Desert.jpg
826KB, 1024x768px
I see the word believe used a lot on /x/ as opposed to know. Is knowledge just a sufficiently strong belief, or is it a belief that does not require faith?

For example, I know the capital cities of the US, but someone believes in God. I would ask if the difference is proof, but that isn't always true in conversation. For example, people say the know what the ultimate fate of the universe is cosmologically or they know what happens to consciousness when you die, but neither argument has particularly sufficient proof as it stands.
>>
>>19227457

>mountains used to be gigantic silicon trees
>>
>>19227457
Knowing is when you have factual infallible information that you've gained from firsthand experience.

Believing is when you're inclined to take information as fact enough to act upon it as if it were fact due to bias, faith, reliability of the source of the information, and/or because you desire it to be true enough to override logic.
>>
Knowledge is a sufficiently strong belief because it requires faith in the facts that are provided. Then again, I suppose the answer depends on who you ask.
>>
>>19227457

Knowledge is just belief that's too ignorant to understand it's belief -- What is "Science" but an organized system of ignorance?
>>
>>19227457
>What is the difference between believing and knowing?
delusion
>>
>>19227457
Oh those are tree stumps BTW
>>
File: 1375899349199.jpg (30KB, 488x372px) Image search: [Google]
1375899349199.jpg
30KB, 488x372px
Knowing is a feeling; believing is a desire of a feeling. You know ice is cold, you don't need to believe it.

>You know you'll get older. You believe things will be better when you're older.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.