[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My friend is in a strange group, and wants me to join.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 4

File: Ananda_Marga_tilhengere.jpg (54KB, 528x314px) Image search: [Google]
Ananda_Marga_tilhengere.jpg
54KB, 528x314px
Might be a cult and /x/ related, but it could also be nothing. Story below.
>>
>>19219297
Might be a cult, might be a really secretive branch of Jehovah's Witnesses, but fuck it, I'll share it here. An old high school friend recently had a chat with me, and probed me about what I was doing since graduating. I told him my barely-worthwhile sob story about how I'm currently having job issues and feeling pretty shitty on the matter. He informed me to meet up with him and two of his "mentors", as he put it, the following week, and we arranged to do so. While doing this, he kept repeating a mantra that they taught him, about how we need to not think about what we want to do, but "how we want to live".
>>
>>19219302
I thought this would be an interview about some possible job, or even just general career building advice, so I went in with a relatively open mind. I was to meet them in a coffee shop, and my friend and one of his mentors (who I would learn is beneath the second in their hierarchy.) met me inside. They were both wearing suits, and the formality put me off a bit, but we began talking. The Beta Mentor, we'll call him, began talking to me about similar things as my friend did, even repeating the same meme phrase: "How do you want to live", probing me on my past, and what my life plan is. I answer to the best of my abilities, and the conversation stalls somewhat until Alpha mentor shows up, accompanied by someone who wasn't dressed up and remained absent from the conversation, and proceeds to ask the same things that his beta associate did, repeating the same phrase over and over, how it's what I need to focus on, and then going on about dollar store positive thinking philosophy.
>>
>>19219304
He then begins to talk up himself and his vaguely defined organization, about how it's made the best version of so many people including himself, and finishes by asking if I'd want to become the best version of myself I can be. I respond by saying "I'm open to hearing about it", and the Alpha becomes visibly upset for a brief instance, and quickly spits out "yes or no?" I say yes with a note of confusion, not wanting to embarrass my friend in front of the man he clearly respected deeply, and the Alpha mentor kept going on with similar questions to the "best you can be" probe. Things like "do you want to have your negative thoughts turned around", "do you want to change your life", and so on. Each time, when I tried to give an answer stating how I'd like to at least hear him out, he'd put on the same stoic expression and demand a yes or a no. After this, he decided to go on about how important he believes keeping one's word is, and asks me once again, yes or no. I said yes, to get this over with, but began to sense a pattern.
>>
>>19219308
Alpha then says that he wants me to start working towards a 6 step process to become a part of his "mentor program", and how I need to complete a homework assignment before the same time the following week. If I were to become successful in this training program, he offered to take me to a "family reunion" of the other members of this mentorship program. Completing this would be step one, and if I didn't complete it to "their" (I.E. his, I imagine) liking I would have to repeat that week over again. He says we're meeting again next week, and he heads out. Before leaving he tells me to, on top of the homework, practice smiling. I thought it was a joke at first, but he seemed to want me to actually stand in front of the mirror and smile at my reflection for minutes at a time, telling me he gets his kids to do it when they're not smiling as well. I then notice all three, Alpha, beta, and my friend, are smiling. I say my goodbyes, and take my leave.
>>
Yeah that's a cult. Stay away. At least join an Order instead.
>>
>>19219313
A few reasons I was so apprehensive as the talk went on was due to a few details. The Alpha mentor's pupils were constricted during the entire conversation, despite his smile rarely leaving. Said smile would leave, but only when I would question a point he raise, or didn't immediately agree to his offers I knew nothing about. The aforementioned, distant companion was another odd detail: when they complained about being somewhat cold, but my friend and the Beta mentor leaped at the opportunity to give their suit jacket to the companion. Throughout the entire conversation with both the Beta and Alpha mentors, "God" was brought up many times, though never directly enough to vocally call upon it. While leaving, I overheard a brief conversation between the Alpha and the others, about how they needed to shave their mild stubble to look presentable, then proceeding to tell them "you don't have to though". He himself had stubble, but didn't need to shave, apparently. The Alpha also seemed to know an awful lot of the people in the coffee place, greeting them as they passed.
So now my friend has told me what the homework is, and I have to wonder what this is all about. You guys think this is a cult? JWs being incredibly esoteric? Pyramid scheme? And I'm very open to the possibility of me being a paranoid loon over this. Also, should I keep going deeper, or just cut all ties now?
>>
File: 25hifk4.gif (466KB, 302x150px) Image search: [Google]
25hifk4.gif
466KB, 302x150px
>>19219297
you should probably kill your friend and drink his blood
>>
File: hmm.jpg (15KB, 470x350px) Image search: [Google]
hmm.jpg
15KB, 470x350px
Also, I apologize for the shitty formatting. I'm somewhat tired, and I was copy\pasting from a word document. Question still stands: Where should I go from here?
>>
>>19219319
The fact that your even considering going along with it is a huge red flag that they are already influencing you. Get the fuck out while you still can.
>>
>>19219341
Taken into consideration, but I can safely tell you that I'm not buying what they're selling. Mostly just thinking about fun ways to mess with them.
>>
Wow.. sounds awful cult-ish to me op. I seriously don't know what I would have done if I was in your position. Guess if you are liking what you are hearing from them.. do your homework or whatever else they require of you and see what the next steps entail.

>if they start trying to get your money, get you to cut ties with current friends/family/support system, or have you try to kill goats or virgins then maybe you should run.

Sounds like your friend is in deep op. Did they ask of you anything really odd or off putting while you had your talk?
>>
>>19219353
>Guess if you are liking what you are hearing from them
I'm not, it's horse shit.
And my friend didn't say anything off putting to me, but he seemed pretty dead set on getting praised by and giving praise too the Alpha mentor. After the Alpha's friend finished a fast food lunch they were having, Alpha offered it to both of the two, and gave it to my friend. He thanked him enthusiastically for these food scraps, cold fries, and half-finished barbecue sauce container by saying "you're the best".
Very odd.
>>
>>19219348
That's what they want you to think.
>>
>>19219364
Fair point. I have to remember that these people have to be adept at what they do, despite how thick skulled and stubborn I personally may be.
>>
>>19219362
Yeah bro.. shit sounds fishy. I just read the first few paragraphs on this page..
>http://people.howstuffworks.com/cult3.htm
And it sounds eerily similar. Guess if your thinking it's shit... you should stay away. Get your friend out too if possible.

Do you know your friends family well? Maybe you should ask if he has been acting like a weird fuck lately too.
>>
>>19219381
>Do you know your friends family well?
Literally never even met them.
>>
Op, join the cult and update anons as you go deeper
>>
>>19219394
Thinking about it, as I'm meeting them again next week.

Also, tripping to make things more convenient.
>>
What is this homework that you have to do?
>>
>>19219319

What was the homework about?
>>
>>19219383
Shitty. Guess it's on you what you do but keep your head about you if you meet back up with them.

Guess if your life is no fun you could always go undercover and see where that leads you.. maybe assassinate mr. 5 o'clock shadow and then make love to his woman whom has a shaved head.

Stay up anon.. and godspeed!
>>
>>19219403
>>19219407
I have to imagine what I would do if I had 300 million dollars but only five years to live, and detail 30 things I'd would act upon. The three categories are "What would you do for yourself/your family and friends/God and the World."
I also have to watch these videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qp0HIF3SfI4&feature=youtu.be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8grVwcPZnuw&feature=youtu.be
>>
Ehh, sounds like a cult.
>>
>>19219415
The question is a personality test. What you do defines your ideals and values and what type of person you currently are. The leadership thing is literally a reconditioning of you. Whether it's a cult or not is debateable. But non the less they want to make changes in your life if you accept.
>>
I had a friend in a cult. He eventually got shunned, this sure sounds like a cult. Upon hearing I demanded he take me to the cult grounds and he was totally freaked out the whole time.

This one sounds way more intense than that though. I'm not so sure that, if you "join", they wouldn't be able to extort you or something to prevent you from leaving it... a la so many other cults
>>
>>19219415
This is honestly the most basic "leadership" bullshit. Your friend is a moron and you should probably just not meet with these people again at all, because you never know what a fanatic is capable of
>>
>>19219447
I totally agree. Too much of an actual risk. You could be put into any number of forced situations. I mean they forced "yes's" out of you and in a public place. Imagine in more private settings.
>>
Is this Simon sinek that's in the videos you linked partner the organization or some random?
>>
>>19219424
Makes sense, actually. Should i answer it, but throw them off by giving fake answers?
>>19219447
Thank you. The TED talk in particular is the worst: All he does is spout pseudo science, unverified claims, and full on ass pulls for 20 minutes. And he keeps repeating the same mantra of buying what you believe over and over.
>>19219437
Sorry to hear about your friend, and thanks for the warning.
>>19219458
I kept saying yes for his sake, and just to get the damn conversation over with to be frank. Anything more than that, as in actually demanding I do something like play missionary for them, I'll flip shit.
>>19219462
Different countries, so there is no connection I'm aware of.I know nothing about this "mentorship organization" though.

I'll be signing off for the night in a bit, as I have to get up early tomorrow. Thanks for humoring me so far, /x/.
>>
>>19219468
Saying yes for his sake was his point is what I meant. It's a manipulation tactic easily used in leadership roles. They are all smiles unless you say something incorrect. Then they give you that stern look and the natural reaction is to agree. You should be able to probe them for more information if you can contact them. Sound unsure about the homework or ask for examples. If they answer you'll see what they want.
>>
>>19219482
What should I ask, as my only contact is my friend at this point?
>>
>>19219468
imho is you think its a cult it acts like a cult and they are similar to how you have described them
then yeah there PROBABLY a cult

i recommend trying to get your friend to split from this group if hes insistent then hes probably already to far gone

people need to stop thinking that cults are run by raving madmen cults are actually run by cunning pychopaths/sociopaths with no true emotions who are fine lying to others

ironically the groups that are all "find the best version of yourself" and "peace and love" are usually the darkest

so essentially stay the fuck away and get your friend the fuck out if you can
>>
>>19219489
Biggest problem is trying to talk to him off the record: What will he share? the guy knows my email, phone number, etc.
>>
>>19219489
I actually agree more with this. Cults are ran by manipulators plain and simple. Sociopaths that bend people to whatever twisted ideals they have. The Alpha is exactly that. If you want ask questions about what they might be looking for. Like what are examples of answers to the homework. But honestly probably stay out of this one.
>>
>>19219319
You're just so Omega, it's embarrassing that you think he's the one who looks foolish, you're only fooling yourself. From what I understand he wants you to "know yourself" and be comfortable with yourself and know what you want from life in general. You just made yourself look awkward acting like life is just some series of events rather than a interrelationship with all your thoughts, feelings, and intentions. Do you know who you are, exactly?
>>
>>19219468
Ya.. just researched him. Sounds like some big motivational speaker but alot of that shit some of those guys spout, especially when it's in a business mentorship situation can be construed as cult like.

I remember I went to a job interview a few years back for some help desk type job. They took me in and had me fill out the application and while I was doing so, I happened to notice a book shelf in the room that was filled with scientology and dianetetics shit. Mental note.. kind of odd but I know people do use that shit for better business building. They take me to meet with two guys who start asking me all these random questions similar to your homework. I noticed the same set of reading material at each of the desks located in this room.. odd again. These fucks never asked me anything pertaining to what the position should have entailed. Juat a bunch of random what is and what would you dos.

I just gave bullshit answers and ran.

Anyways.. keep us updated op.
>>
>>19219509
Think you ment beta bud
>your so omega
Kek
>>
>>19219491
if you really think hes at THAT stage (where he begins telling shit about friends and family to the cult) its probably already to late
>>19219499
oh of course like just look at jim jones or manson they WERENT raving lunatics THATS what made them so dangerous
it may not have looked like it but behind that hippie beard and those aviator sunglasses were two cold manipulating pycho/sociopaths and thats the truly scary thing
>>
>>19219524
Nah beta's are just wannabe alphas. People who want to be someone else's version of alpha. He's just not beeing himself :^). An omega, though, is a do nothing person who just thinks. No emotions attached with anything, just a pure nobody just living. Basically AI. They'll watch you die as you cry out for help like their not even there.
>>
>>19219611
"Sociopath"
>>
Report to local authority as suspicious and dangerous activity, make money from silent witness payout
>>
>>19219616
Technical term yes
>>
>Alpha then says that he wants me to start working towards a 6 step process to become a part of his "mentor program", and how I need to complete a homework assignment before the same time the following week. If I were to become successful in this training program, he offered to take me to a "family reunion" of the other members of this mentorship program. Completing this would be step one, and if I didn't complete it to "their" (I.E. his, I imagine) liking I would have to repeat that week over again.

This is one of the best ways to detect if you're being initiated into a cult. All cults, religions, and secret societies rely on gradual initiation into mystery. Anything with "levels" or "ranks," beware.
>>
>>19219509
>>19219623
Could you elaborate how i'm a sociopath? Like I said, I'm open to knowing that i'm completely overreacting.
Also, "Do nothing person"? What evidence do you have for that? I admit i'm at a bit of a rut currently, but I do try to improve my situation.
>>19219618
If i'm wrong and just overreacting, this seems like a bad idea.
>>
>>19219517
I will. I hope i'm wrong, but the fact that they're putting me through a "program" without telling me what exactly this mentorship thing is seems odd to me.
>>19220552
Thanks for the tips.
>>
>>19219308
>I respond by saying "I'm open to hearing about it", and the Alpha becomes visibly upset for a brief instance, and quickly spits out "yes or no?"

An obvious sign. It's a cult. Get away and don't talk to them.
>>
>>19220552
>All cults, religions, and secret societies rely on gradual initiation into mystery. Anything with "levels" or "ranks," beware.

Name me a system of education that DOESN'T have ranks or levels.

Learning Judo? Oh no, there's a ranking system - it's a cult!
Going to college? Look out there's Physics 101 and 102 and 201! They're indoctrinating you!
Want to SCUBA dive? Oop, there Jr Open Watyer, Open Water, and lots of other certification levels. Must be some sort of aquatic secret society!
>>
Quit being a pussy and join the cult OP, You could get in on the ground floor and become the next David Miscavige
>>
>>19220998
I imagine he was referring to how secretive they're being about the ranking system. In all of your examples, you would know exactly what the steps would be towards finishing the education program, as well as what the end result would be. Here? Not so much.
Or he did just mean the ranking system, and you'd have a point there.
>>
>>19221026
There was no mention of hidden knowledge or secrecy anywhere in the quoted text or in what anon typed in the post.
>>
>>19221039
They demanded that I commit without telling me what the program even is, or what the end result may be.
Forgot to throw up the trip, my bad.
>>
>>19221039
If wedon't know about them, that means that they practice secrecy or aren't huge attention fags.

I don't believe in the existance of non attention fags.
>>
>>19219371

Exactly, Anon. People come to 4chan for the "entertainment", they stay for the pills.
>>
>>19221050
You misunderstand. I knew from your original posts they were being very secretive, and I agree secrecy in their actions is a warning sign for cults and harmful organizations.

None of that is relevant to my first post, which was SOLELY about whether having ranks/levels in your education is a warning sign for cults or harmful organizations. Which I think is silly.
>>
>>19221100
On that point, we both agree. The ranking system doesn't bother me, it's how they won't tell me what it entails that does.
>>
>>19219468
>Should i answer it, but throw them off by giving fake answers?
No, when people answer these kinds of questions they always give fake answers. They answer with the kinds of things that their idealized self would do, the kind of answers that you would give if you want a stranger to have a high opinion of you, the kind of self-delusional platitudes that they wish they would really do. If you really want to throw them a curve ball, give them a really honest answer. Tell them the worst things that the worst version of you would do. I would bet they've never gotten a really honest answer to that question.
>>
look, your life is pretty boring. do this and you'll have a fun story to tell, or maybe get sacrificed on a blood altar.

don't do this and you continue browsing this website and being depressed. when you get older you will regret all of these years you wasted on being cautious and boring.

why do you think so many retired people act out and do stupid shit? because they regret having boring lives and are desperate to feel something before they die. take a close look at your parents, that's your future.
>>
>>19221517
Alright, fuck it. I'll follow through with it until they tell me to fuck off\do something really off putting.
>>19221476
Fair enough, though my honest answers might be a tad bit quaint.
>>
>>19219308
Run like hell. As soon as anyone tries to deny you essential information and forces you to cut off your higher-order thought processes, you know that it is a Very Bad Thing that they're selling.

What someone who does this is selling may vary, but it will always be bad. This particular thing seems to be a cult, especially with the presence of the meme phrase, but the rule holds regardless of the specifics.
>And I'm very open to the possibility of me being a paranoid loon over this.
Stop being open to that notion. They're counting on you feeling that way.
>just cut all ties now
Again: RUN LIKE HELL!
>>
>>19220663
Don't listen to that faggot calling you a sociopath. He's working his wiles like the cult dudes because you're so obviously open to listening to shit like that.

Such trusting naivety will get you screwed over. Keep your skepticism glasses on and well-cleaned.
>>
>>19222097
>Such trusting naivety will get you screwed over.
Fair point. I do seem to have this issue in general, even if I'm very distrusting of these people.
>>19222052
the rational part of me obviously is saying cut all ties, but if this is something more malevolent than a feel-good pyramid scheme, I think it might be my responsibility to uncover it. It's also possible that it;'s harmless, and the guys I spoke to were just passive aggressive people.
>>
OP you think this is funny like trying to fuck with them but it's not a game to them. You don't know how much a cult can fuck you up whether you're in it or not. Like they'll legit send guys to try to murder you or sabotage your life even further (destroy your reputation, keep you from getting a job, etc). Reading that they knew quite a bit of people in that restaurant is very alarming since it shows just how big they are.

And you think that you can back out any time but they can literally trap you at one of their camps if you decide to go there. You can't call for help either since they'll most likely take away all of your things upon entering like your cell phone and car keys.

But if you still want to risk it, just keep it on safe grounds like the whole meeting in public to discuss about it.
Also I would say your friend is a lost cause, he'd need real help and protection to be deprogrammed. The fact that he's trying to recruit you means he's no longer your friend, just another brainwashed "puppet" who was told to recruit anyone he knew that could join.
>>
>>19219302
I would wear a recording device if I were going to meet them again.
>>
>>19222531
This. Download an audio recorder app on your phone and stick it in your pocket or something. Just make sure the mic is able to pick up what they're saying.
>>
>>19222455
I'm pretty familiar with cult practices, so I can see what you mean. I personally don't think whatever this is would be something so intense that they'd outright kill me, but i do appreciate the consideration.
I can say that I will absolutely not go to any of those camps, if they exist.
>>19222531
>>19222575
I'll find a way to make this work, if I can.
>>
>>19222862
Good luck, OP.
>>
File: pobrane (14).jpg (5KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
pobrane (14).jpg
5KB, 259x194px
Join, then get into one of their meetings bollock naked and scream
>AAAAAAAAAUTISM
It would be gold
Digits confirm
>>
>>19222862
This complete blindness to your own physical safety and the underestimation of the people you are dealing with, could come back to bite you, big time.
>>
>>19222988
It could, but like I said, I'm in a rut anyway. I admit my own self preservation instincts aren't at their peak right now.
>>19222900
Thank you
>>19222918
If I ever get in too deep, this seems like a viable escape plan.
>>
Man, run away as fast as you can.
Don't mix up with this people
>>
Who cares as long as you get some of that good pusy
Thread posts: 72
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.