[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's The Deal With Mercury?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 5

File: 14980098215852.jpg (77KB, 640x533px) Image search: [Google]
14980098215852.jpg
77KB, 640x533px
I've always been curious about that. Primitive people were pretty obsessed with cinnabar (mercury containing ore), 'rivers' of mercury are below mesoamerican pyramids & tombs of chinese emperors, alchemists are obsessed about mercury & transmutation. Also some forms of traditional medicine (chinese etc) dictate to consume mercury for certain purposes.

Thoughts?
Also curious about gold because related.
>>
to intelligent for X OP...
>>
It's a solvent. That's what makes it important. It wasn't used as a medicine, but was used to extract and manufacture them.
>>
>>19193440
Ayys used to like it, same with gold
>>
>>19193468
Care to elaborate? A solvent for what? I'm fairly certain cinnabar is consumed by the chinese, same as arsenic containing minerals, but might be wrong.

>>19193467
Maybe, but I know next to nothing about it. So grateful for any hints.
>>
>>19193471
There does seems to be something going on with mercury & magnetism.
>>
>>19193467
Lurk more.

>X OP. XD guise.
>>
>>19193440
The Mad Hatter, was a result of mercury exposure. It causes you to lose your mind.
>>
It had a prominent role in Eastern alchemy (Indian and Chinese) but not so much in the western. It was always meant to be a metaphor for some other substance or a spiritual transformation, as some claim. This is an example of the former https://www.labyrinthdesigners.org/alchemic-authors-1833-x/kamala-jnana-introduction-to-a-live-secret/
>>
>>19193574
>Mad hatter disease, or mad hatter syndrome, was an occupational disease among hatmakers, caused by chronic mercury poisoning. ... The neurotoxic effects included tremor and the pathological shyness and irritability characteristic of erethism
>>
>>19193586
Your teeth loosened and people had delusions, sometimes similar to schizophrenia.
>>
Because it is the essence of alchemy. Modern physics proves it can be turn directly to gold. You will however need a nuclear reactor.
>>
>>19193499
Damn, well it reacts to a huge number of metalic minerals, bondinf with them into amalgams. This is used to isolate or remove this minerals. You can actually use mercury to DETOXIFY many medicinal plants (usually roots) of their toxic metals, and use mercury in many processes related to alchemy/chemistry.
The confusion about mercury being used as it is, is due to secrecy in the trade. Your recipes are trade secrets and you can lose your livelihood if the competition steals them. As a result, the details are usually passed on orally, and notes are encoded. So, many fools misinterpret this information or do a half ass job, see mercury and go "Oh, see, they used mercury! Dumb ancient!" and never consider that it was used as a processing agent. Shit, if people knew how many things are used to make our daily medicines and products around us, they'd be shocked. Ethers, Naptha, sulfuric acid, ect. Just look up how they make corn syrup.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amalgam_(chemistry)
A bit of extra reading.
>>
>>19193440
Looks like silver, flows like liquid. It's not that complicated, people like shiny things.
>>
>>19193585
Thanks for the link. Very true, about the use as metaphor. Western alchemists sometimes talk about that in the same way daoists do with their inner alchemy. That whole hermetic microcosm/macrocosm perspective. What I'm interested in is how mercury got into that role. I think it might have something to do with its use in gold & silver mining. Still I find those tombs & pyramids suspicious.
>>19193634
What would that process look like and how would they prevent mercury contamination if at all? Cinnabar was & is consumed as plain rock powder though, and surprisingly less dangerous than I would've expected because of the low absorption rate.

Intersting article about chinese mineral drugs:
http://orthomolecular.org/library/jom/1995/articles/1995-v10n01-p031.shtml

Cinnabar toxicity:
https://www.hindawi.com/journals/bmri/2012/254582/

>Many studies have reported that the total amount of mercury accumulated in tissues from methylmercuric chloride (MeHgCl) was about 5000-fold higher than that from HgS [9], but that exposure to a high-dose of cinnabar or HgS (1.0g/kg/day, for 7 or 14 consecutive days) was able to cause neurotoxicity

Almost a pound per week, that's a shitton of rock to eat.
>>
File: 1497984447887.jpg (126KB, 1020x880px) Image search: [Google]
1497984447887.jpg
126KB, 1020x880px
Beyond the fact that it is really cool and was most likely on par with gold in terms of how coveted it was by ancient kings etc...

Mercury is a superconductor, in fact, I believe it was one of the first ones ever discovered. When you look at vimanas (indus valley civilization flying saucer) and the nazi ufos (hanibus etc.) they always talk about having mercury for the engine...

So, lets talk about what you can do with mercury and/or any other superconductor that can produce flight...

Below is speculation grounded in actual science so i will admit that i may or may not be right, but i am definitely not talking out of my ass...

If one can produce enormous currents, which is possible with superconductors, then one can use the Earths magnetic field to generate lift via lorentz force law. The problem with this is that it only works near Earth, or near a magnetic field. This isn't terribly bad but even though there are magnetic fields in space, they are very weak...

If you have a superconductor in a torus that is rotating "torodially", i.e. like a smoke ring then you can theoretically generate lift via frame dragging. This requires an ultrarelativistic rotation but this can be accomplished using a superconducting fluid since rotation of a superfluid produces small vortices which can add up to produce enormous rotational velocities without all the centrifugal force. This would produce a motion similar to the propogation of a smoke ring except it uses frame dragging of spacetime and not friction from air to generate thrust...

source: am phd physics
>>
It tastes sweet and it's shiny and kind of weird.
Ancient people loved it for the same reason taofledermaus loves uploading countless gay YouTube videos of himself doing stupid shit with it
It's mildly interesting when compared to ordinary dirt, no grand conspiracy here
>>
>>19193738
>>19193812
That might very well be it, but why make literal tons of the stuff though? Pretty hard labour for some toy. But the same could be said about gold.

>>19193810
The Glocke Superwaffe, was supposed to be run by some other element similar to mercury afaik No clue about the Haunebu. I did stumble upon some of videos of a french(?) dude that made working miniature models of UFOs, and he used mercury iirc. Am going to think about that last paragraph.

I just found out that in roman mythology, Mercury seems to be the same thing as Hermes or Thoth in Greek & Egyptian mythology, I never noticed that.
>>
>>19193859
Oh they probably made tons of it because they assigned some nonsense mystical value to it or considered it precious.

Why did south Americans think they had to murder children randomly in order for it to rain on their crops? People are pretty fucking retarded, in short.
>>
>>19193797
Mercury is poorly absorbed through the GI tract.
>>
>>19193810
can we make a small replica? how much would it cost to make?
>>
>>19193738
"Sometimes there's just not enough rocks" <--- you
>>
a lot of it is probably how weird it is, just in a physical sense. weird, heavy, liquid metal.
>>
Mercury was prized because it dissolves gold into solution and then by burning off the mercury you get the gold left behind. You can see how ancient civilizations that didn't know any better would think that this was magical or alchemy as they would process mercury and produce gold...
>>
>>19194624
also too add it's how many things got gold gilted way back in the day as items would be soaked in mercury saturated with gold and then the mercury burned off leaving the item gilded with gold
>>
>>19194373
Yeah, I just found out what initially got me interested in the chinese eating mercury & arsenic.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold-Food_Powder
Odd stuff both used to get high & as medicine or to get immortal.

But also :
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_alchemical_elixir_poisoning

>>19194624
>>19194633
I think that's got a lot to do with it too. Especially considering how gold resist most acids and how hard it is to work with.

I just found something interesting about gold.
Gold nano particles can be used to treat cancer, because gold hyperaccumulates in cancer cells, and doesn't do any damage if it's the right particle size. The particles do kill cancer cells by themselves, but also can be used as a carrier for other meds. The solvent DMSO can be used that way too. Pretty nice.
>>
>>19193440
Probably need it for advance technology and freaking flying saucers
>>
>>19193797
The orthomolecular guy was a schizophrenic jew, not to be trusted.
>cinnebar
Makes sense. It's mercury salts and vapors that are most dangerous, this mineral form is relatively stable. It likely has an effect on gut flora and possibly transmits rare trace minerals into the body.
>what would it look like
That would vary dramatically depending on what you're attempting to accomplish.
>>19193810
Anon, stop this. /x/ is not ready!
BUT... again, mercury is a solvent! Hint hint!
>>
>>19193440
its incredibly good for you, the elites just don't want you to know. That's why they shut down buildings whenever theres an incident where mercury spills, they don't want the common people knowing the power it has.
>>
>>19193440
Because it's shiny liquid metal and it looks cool
>>
>>19195872
This. Same reason why gold is valuable, it's shiny, rare and nothing else looks like it, nothing special. You guys are overthinking this.
>>
>>19193440
They put it in vaccinations and poison you.
>>
>>19195934
Die from polio nigger.
>>
>>19193467

Newfag
>>
>>19193810
>"but i am definitely not talking out of my ass"
yeah you are, dick weed. lots of metals are superconducting, you just need to cool them to around 5K, which, as you might have realised, is fucking difficult. it literally only became possible in the 20th century. the Indus valley civilization had no possible way of achieving this level of refrigeration.
also "ultrarelativistic rotation" is impossible because it's ULTRARELATIVISTIC, god fucking damnit i really hope this is a LARP
>>
>>19196391
It was the polio vaccines that started the whole AIDS epidemic
>>
it looked cool af

it probably was the equivalent of glowsticks to ancient people

they put it everywhere
>>
>>19193859
>That might very well be it, but why make literal tons of the stuff though? Pretty hard labour for some toy.
kind of like building pyramids when you could just dig a hole in the ground, or even any kind of less-monumental tomb; power and rationality are not directly correlated, the people didn't do "hard labour" for some toy, they did it because they didn't want to get beaten/killed for not doing it...
>>
It's a liquid metal, how cool is that. no wonder they were impressed
>>
>>19197286
Why pour toxic chemicals into a plastic tube and give it to kids
>>
>>19193440
Mercury in any form is poison. Kek.

>Mercury may have toxic effects on the nervous, digestive and immune systems, and on lungs, kidneys, skin and eyes.

They used lead as a medicine ffs. Ancient doesn't mean good, always.
>>
>>19197530
I think you misunderstood...I wasn't saying they did either thing for a good purpose. Just novelty.
>>
the idea of mercury for the alchemist was that, when you look at it than you see you self. And what the alchemist saw in they alembics, was the chemical processes to distill mercury and see they own mind.
>>
>>19195446
>That would vary dramatically depending on what you're attempting to accomplish.
What you claimed. Say I've got some roots that tend to be full of aluminium (just an example), how would one clean it up with mercury without mercury contamination & not destroying what one was after by doing it.
>BUT... again, mercury is a solvent! Hint hint!
For?
>>19195472
Do you consume mercury?
>>19195934
>>19196391
That's true though. Aluminium & mercury shouldn't be in vaccines. The official reason that stuff is in there is that one increases the shelf life, and the other increases the efficacy rate a few percent. Both wreck your brain, strong evidence for causal relation between aluminium & alzheimers disease & I've posted the article about the neurotoxic effects of mercury. But everyone keeps talking about autism.

>>19197286
These monolithic structures were not built for fun though. And the evidence for involment of slave labour is very weak, even mainstream archeologist are slowly getting away from that idea. Slaves don't do quality work like that.

>>19197936
Interesting thought.
>>
>>19193468
It was used on medicine a lot and thermometers have it and you use that in medicine.

>>19198710
I think the guy that mentioned it's properties as a superconductor had something, it was probably used to do some impossible stuff, specially if you had a way to get massive amounts of it in the past, those reserves where probably depleted, cause mercury it's fun to use, but lethal.
>>
>>19198710
I thought that aluminum doesn't react with anything in the body? That is, it is inert and merely passes through.

Unless you're talking about faggots who wore large amounts of aluminum-containing stage makeup. The problem was their pores got clogged, irritation, something like that, over large areas. You can get killed by being covered in tar, the same.
>>
>>19199526
Aluminium is a neurotoxin, same as mercury. Many metals are, but aluminium is one of the nastier ones, once it's in your brain it really messes things up.
>That is, it is inert and merely passes through.
Do you mean like when you eat a ball of aluminium foil? Wouldn't call it inert, it readily forms salts with stomach acid that are absorbed. Luckily surface area is key though, and the salts aren't that bioavailable compared to others. But it never passes through untouched. Injecting aluminium compounds is just malicious, that shit shoots right for the brain.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0140673683912734
>tl;dr aluminium damages blood-brain-barrier and eases access for itself to brain.
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0022519305807696
>tl;dr not sure how aluminium does its thing, but it causes increased cell death
https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2FBF01734064?LI=true
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0140673689914256
>tl;dr old folks in areas with much aluminium in drinking water more likely to get alzheimers, parkinsons etc than old folks that don't .

Be careful what deodorant you use, they keep insisting it's harmless but come on.
>>
File: 1496985074591.png (2MB, 1296x864px) Image search: [Google]
1496985074591.png
2MB, 1296x864px
>>19195472
There's mercury in vaccines
It really seems to be the other way around
>>
>>19199793
I don't doubt that. Metals generally don't do well with strong acids, like stomach acid HCl. I could see inert compounds getting stuck, even if they don't react.

I'll still keep using deodorant so people don't hate being near me. Because I'm a self-absorbed cunt, I guess, and I hate BO.
>>
File: 7d723-3.jpg (64KB, 625x625px) Image search: [Google]
7d723-3.jpg
64KB, 625x625px
>>19193810
>relativistic
>>
>>19193440
i always hated mercury. it is the faggot of all the metals in this planet. it can't even stay solid at 1 atm and average temp without wetting itself. fucking pussy.
>>
>>19193865
>why human sacrifice in 'merica
Because it terrified the shit out of the subjugated tribes.
>>
>>19200047
I'll go to an early grave with ya, bro. Smell good for life, man.
>>
>>19200159
I'm a girl. I need to smell good from 12 to 40 then I get discarded. I don't care, my hubby and children love me.
>>
>>19200047
>>19200159
>>19200206

I actually meant that there's aluminium free deodorant in stores these days, at least in europe. People have caught on, so no need for that shit.

>>19200136
Truth.
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.