[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Urban Legend/Cryptid/Creatures thread.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 23

File: image.jpg (43KB, 436x349px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
43KB, 436x349px
ITT: post urban legends, cryptids, or other more obscure/unexplained creature

Spookier the better
Bonus points for evidence or sources.
>>
>>19175159
Literally the only good thing on /x/ and 0 replies
>>
>>19175513
Hey, I'm with you; but /x/ is slow. Here's a friendly bump for the things that go "bump" in the night
>>
Bumpppp
>>
>>19175513
All OP had to do was post that fucking pic of the skinwalker or some shit. /x/ is so autistic, they can't even function unless you do shit the traditional way.
>>
>>19175159
Niggas, I got a new phone and need to rack up them urban legends to creep our my normie friends
>>
File: 1497237707559.jpg (68KB, 1190x893px) Image search: [Google]
1497237707559.jpg
68KB, 1190x893px
>>19175513
Nice contribution there.

Anyway, here's a photo of some cryptid. Don't know what the fuck it is, some people say it's a bear but no way that's a bear.
>>
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raymond_Robinson_(Green_Man)
>>
>>19175159
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHsEr_9IIVM
This city is near me. I want to go up to Yosemitie and hunt these cryptids one day.
>>
File: Ningen.png (189KB, 468x351px) Image search: [Google]
Ningen.png
189KB, 468x351px
Here's another. Ningen.
>Oceanic Cryptid
First Sighting 1960's
Last Sighting N/A
Country Antarctica
Habitat Antarctic Ocean

Over the past few years, rumours have circulated in Japan about the existence of arctic Humanoid Life-Forms inhabiting the icy waters of the Antarctic. Reportedly observed on multiple occasions by crew members of government-operated "whale research" ships, these so-called "Ningen (人間, "Ningen", meaning "human") are said to be completely white in colour with an estimated length of 20 to 30 meters. Eyewitnesses describe them having a human-like shape, often with legs, arms, and even five-fingered hands.
>>
File: 220px-Bertuch-Vegetable-Lamb.png (80KB, 220x139px) Image search: [Google]
220px-Bertuch-Vegetable-Lamb.png
80KB, 220x139px
Plant cryptids are always cool.

>Lamb of Tartary is a legendary zoophyte of Central Asia, once believed to grow sheep as its fruit. The sheep were connected to the plant by an umbilical cord and grazed the land around the plant. When all accessible foliage was gone, both the plant and sheep died.
>>
File: Thunderbird.jpg (155KB, 660x426px) Image search: [Google]
Thunderbird.jpg
155KB, 660x426px
>The Thunderbird is a cryptozoological creature associated with large bird-like animals that live anywhere in Northern Canada and Alaska down to Central America. Similar animals often appear in Native American mythology; some tales tell of enormous eagles strong enough to carry whales back to their nests. Since pioneers began moving west across the North American plains, sightings of large birds have been reported. Similar stories appear from civilizations around the world.
>>
File: Last-Night-at-Grandmas-.jpg (959KB, 960x1148px) Image search: [Google]
Last-Night-at-Grandmas-.jpg
959KB, 960x1148px
>>19175159
Since you're too much of a dumb cunt to post a better quality pic.
>>
File: Gnomo_de_Gerona.svg.png (24KB, 225x370px) Image search: [Google]
Gnomo_de_Gerona.svg.png
24KB, 225x370px
>The Gnome of Girona is the name given to the remains of an animal or a fetus found near Girona, Catalonia (Spain), in September 1989.

>The body was bluish, devoid of hair, with some little spots mainly in neck and face. Its total length was approximately 12 centimetres (4.7 in). It showed a protuberance in the forehead area, elongated ears, reddish eyes and a snout similar to that of rodents. Its fingers showed interdigital membranes.
>>
File: MissisipiHyena.jpg (16KB, 440x333px) Image search: [Google]
MissisipiHyena.jpg
16KB, 440x333px
>In the Great Plains of the American West, from at least Montana to Nebraska, there have been reports of an animal that seems to be a hyena. With a sloping back and hyena-like features, this beast was known to the Ioway Indians as the Shunka Warakin. Similar creatures, with different names, were reported from the lands of other tribes. This animal was generally described as having dark fur, often black and sometimes red. The shaggy areas were distributed in a different way than on wolves.
>>
>>19175953
That's a weird one. But definitely cool. Ya don't see many plant cryptids.
>>
>Atmospheric beasts are the strangest of the flying monsters from cryptozoology. According to eyewitness reports, they are things that seem like living creatures, but they break all the usual rules that we apply to living things. They fly without the need for wings and their bodies are only semi-solid, often partially invisible.

>Many atmospheric beast sightings were originally classified as really unusual UFO reports (in the sense of UFOs being defined as supposed alien spacecraft or machines of some other sort, not in the technical sense of being unidentified flying objects). Noted Bigfoot author Ivan T. Sanderson devoted an entire book to the theory that many UFOs are actually extremely low density animals native to the clouds.
>>
>The Greek Dolphin Monster, also called Grecian Dolphin, is a strange, mutated, dolphin-like animal sighted two times off the coast of Greece by tourists.

>The picture was posted on Twitter and caused big discussions, calling on some cryptozoologists. Many theories abounded, one saying a hoax, another a mutated dolphin from nuclear waste, another one said it was an alien. Some people suggested it to be some type of pike fish or long snout manatee/dugong. It highly resembles the Zeuglodons ancestor, Ambulocetus. It remains unknown what the thing is.
>>
i grew up in massachusetts and now l live in new hampshire. in mass we had the legends of the wendigo and pukwudgies. here in new hampshire pukwudgies are still seen. here is a link from an article that came out last year about cryptids here.

http://mysteriousuniverse.org/2016/02/exploring-american-monsters-new-hampshire/
>>
>>19176086
Pukwudgies!!

I also used to live in that area. I'd go on the bike trails in Belchertown, Boston area, etc. Belchertown was my favorite by far.

There was one trail I went on that had a lot of rocky cliffs. It wasn't busy at all- maybe one or two bicyclists per mile. It started to get dark and I could have sworn I saw a small child up on one of the cliffs overlooking the path. I slowed down to look up and whatever it was started throwing large rocks at me, about the size of bricks. I started yelling when one whacked me in the leg, and another bicyclist approached and asked me if I was ok. I said "some stupid kid is up there throwing rocks."

I shit you not, the guy goes "you should get out of here before it gets dark" and he pedals off.
>>
>>19175918
whats the chances there are whales? how big of a deal are these things in japan anyway?
>>
File: sloths.png (1MB, 1928x2796px) Image search: [Google]
sloths.png
1MB, 1928x2796px
In which Anon claims to have seen (and taken shots at) a strange creature
>>
What's interesting about cryptids, anyways? I always found it a bit dispiriting. LIke, if there's something I expect science to be good at, it's noticing wild animals.
>>
>>19176217
theyre basically super rare pokemon. the way i see it the fun is in the fact that there is no imagery or footage of them. capturing one is a surefire way to be famous and maybe even rich.
not all cryptids are animals-- some are humanoid and smart like elves, sirens and fairies. some are just straight up paranormal like springheel jack and witches
>>
ive posted this before. just want to bump my favorite topic: cryptids
this cryptid is mexican and it should not have happened to me because this took place in texas and i am very whitewashed anchor baby
>laying in blue race car bed watching tv
>cartoon network, channel 22
>fuck channel 24, nick is boring and disney is for girls
>racecar bed is against the wall, in the corner in front of the door
>feel something land on my stomach
>its a hairy hand, the entire hand is charcoal
>its feeling my entire body as if frantically looking for something
>doesnt grab me, just sorta feeling me
>i scream and jump out of bed
>torpedo myself towards the door, my head is almost in the corridor
>too scared to move
>mom comes in asking what
>she gasps as we both look at my bed, its still flailing around, feeling my blanket and bedsheets
>can now see it is in fact an entire arm, having emerged from the side of the bed against the wall
>looks as if a man is under my bed and sticked his right hand out to grab me
>you cant see any skin, best way to describe it is an arm is wearing mittens made out of black rug
>dad appears
>very notorious for not believing in ghosts
>is shocked at the sight but only for a second
>eyes locked on the bed and hand, he walks over me as i am on the ground
>he moved the bed away from the wall and looks at the carpet underneath
>had the same idea i had of perhaps there being a creep under it
>theres nothing there, the hand disappeared as if sucked into a void
> i vomit
we have never talked about it. not out of fear but because i had no idea what that cryptid was until i found a cryptid book in like 4th grade. the hairy hand or la mano peluda is its name. lots of my classmates also had encounters with it, its actually famous among mexicans. it didnt harm me and it never appeared again so didnt really remember it until i got older and developed an interest in paranormal later. my dad still doesnt believe in ghosts despite my grandparents living in a haunted house
>>
>>19175976
Had a friend up by Thunder Bay when he would come to visit he would tell me stories about shit that happens near her. She told me that who grandfather saw one but described it at a fucking winged dinosaur thing. Her Grandpas dead now which sucks I never got to meet him and ask.
>>
>>19176284
Wow so that's what it is, like you i have met the arm before and unlike yours mine just a normal human arm coming from under the bed. Weird thing is i live in SEA region. Wonder if they're related?
>>
>>19176284
Cripes, how could you sleep knowing "busy hands" could show up at any time? Racecar beds are comfy, but not *that* comfy.
>>
Theres this legend in my town that if you cross this property you will get severely injured in your house at midnight because this "Being" follows you. Only turned out to be a former hells angel who is really defensive of his territory
>>
>>19176284

lool la mano peluda.
not much to be said there, it is literally a bedtime boogeyman.
Everyone and their grandma knows it.
What an interesting experience though, I thought for sure that one would be fake.
>>
>>19175976
Aren't thunderbirds now believed to have been the (very much real) terrorbirds of the southeastern US?

Brasstown mountain bald of N Ga was famously home to one, it was a native Georgian legend that may have been true.

They were massive and would carry children away, they only died out around the early 1800's.
>>
>>19176164
Whales are pretty much confirmed and Japan loves to eat them.
>>
>>19175915
What city are you talking about ( the video wont open) Im currently living in merced, so pretty much right next to Yosemite. Also I wouldnt recommend going too deep into yosemite with out experience because a lot of people go missing / get lost in the park every year
>>
>>19176882
in legend Thunderbirds are supposed to bring thunder by batting their wings, being so massive that they can carry the ocean on their back(at least a part of it).

>>19176888
also used to be used in toolmaking and transmission fluid
>>
>>19176904
I know that, just saying the animal itself was real and the legends came from that.

Terrorbirds were said to make a loud whistling sound when descending on prey, something like that was bound to be exaggerated back then.
>>
>>19176969
Looked up terrorbirds, they were flightless and existed before humans walked the earth. Idk what you are referring to.
>>
File: jonathan-kuo-terrer-bird-low.jpg (397KB, 826x1445px) Image search: [Google]
jonathan-kuo-terrer-bird-low.jpg
397KB, 826x1445px
>>19177097
I think I found my new favorite bird
>>
>>19176057
that cryptid was sighted just off the coast on the Greek island of Corfu/Kerkyra.

I am a native of that Island and and i saw things like these too while diving , they kind of like a dolphin/seal hybrid , i saw "weird" animals like that both in the south and the centre of the island , im pretty sure i even heard the cry of one which sounded like a banshee or something else that screams loud , and high pitched and just gives you the chills , however i do not think it is a "evil" creature , whatever it is i hope to see more of it one day
>>
Any Southern cryptids? I live in the Deep South near the coast and while there's a TON about ghosts and hauntings there really isn't much about animals/creatures.
>>
File: 1450802006249.png (10KB, 495x791px) Image search: [Google]
1450802006249.png
10KB, 495x791px
>>19175915
It looks like someone pulled their sweatpants up over there arms. Or pic related.
>>
>>19177481
Skunk Ape, Fouke Monster, Honey Island Swamp Monster, Lizard Man, Pope Lick Monster, Mothman, Ozark Howler...
>>
>>19176057
It's a boat fender.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWAKTtTHvbs
>>
>>19177692
Is there even a chance that any of that stuff is real, though? I've spent a ton of time in woods and swamps and I've never personally encountered anything that was definitely not a known animal or met anyone who has.
>>
>>19177743
There is a chance of ocean cryptids being real, as it's pretty damn huge. Cave cryptids could very well be real too, as we haven't discovered all the caves on the planet. I'll go as far as to say maybe there are some mountain cryptids that are real and hiding. Stuff like Bigfoot? I'm not sure.
>>
>>19177097
This. What was that anon talking about? I couldn't find anything about huge birds known to have existed recently in Georgia.
>>
Only Scottish one I can think of is the Loch Ness Monster (pleiosaur?)
Zero proof for Kelpies however (water horses) and we dont have sea horses here
>>
>>19177734
okay i saw a swimmig boatfender, just remember Greece has alot of areas in and out of the water that are isolated and could easily harbor "other" animals apart from the regular fauna , also mind that i am a certified diver who spents hours in the sea (harpoonfishing, cleaning up junk and just enjoying ) but okay american youtube scientists always know it better
>>
>>19177762
I wish huge birds were real. We get huge fishes but no birds? fuck
>>
>>19177734
>Some guy has an explanation for it. Bam, it's debunked boys

Nah, that's not how it works bub
>>
>>19176969
>>19177097
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teratornis
You're thinking of this, not terror birds.
>>
>>19175159
My local cryptid is the Fouke monster in southern Arkansas. Basically a bigfoot knockoff only it was a lousy hoax where it had only three toes on each foot. Pretty sure it was just a means to scare off niggers considering there was a KKK chapter there.
>>
File: jackalope.jpg (145KB, 827x522px) Image search: [Google]
jackalope.jpg
145KB, 827x522px
I'm gone for a day and no one fucking contributes? You guys are lazy. I'll start again with some of the known cryptids.

>The Jackalope or Antelabbit (Also known as the Warrior rabbit) is a mythical animal of North American folklore described as a jackrabbit with antelope horns or deer antlers and sometimes a pheasant’s tail (and often hind legs). The word “jackalope” is a portmanteau of “jackrabbit” and “antelope”, an archaic spelling of “antelope”. It is also known as Lepus temperamentalus.
>>
File: jerseydevil.jpg (113KB, 1136x640px) Image search: [Google]
jerseydevil.jpg
113KB, 1136x640px
>In New Jersey folklore, the Jersey Devil is a legendary creature said to inhabit the Pine Barrens of Southern New Jersey, United States. The creature is often described as a flying biped with hooves, but there are many variations. The common description is that of a kangaroo-like creature with the head of a goat, leathery bat-like wings, horns, small arms with clawed hands, cloven hooves and a forked tail. It has been reported to move quickly and often is described as emitting a "blood-curdling scream".

>According to popular folklore, the Jersey Devil originated with a Pine Barrens resident known as Mother Leeds. The legend states that Mother Leeds had 12 children and, after finding she was pregnant for the 13th time, cursed the child in frustration, crying that the child would be the Devil. During 1735, Mother Leeds was in labor on a stormy night while her friends gathered around her. Born as a normal child, the 13th child changed to a creature with hooves, a goat's head, bat wings, and a forked tail. Growling and screaming, it killed the midwife before flying up the chimney and heading into the pines. In some versions of the tale, Mother Leeds was supposedly a witch and the child's father was the Devil himself. Some versions of the legend also state that there was subsequently an attempt by local clergymen to exorcise the creature from the Pine Barrens, or that the creature proceeded to kill local children.
>>
>>19177780
>looks exactly like fender
>even has hole for rope clearly visible, and in a spot where animal know has "nostrils"
>it can't be a fender because that destroys a fantasy I had about unknown creatures no one has noticed in thousands of years of inhabitation on that island
>>
File: lovelandfrog.jpg (109KB, 340x340px) Image search: [Google]
lovelandfrog.jpg
109KB, 340x340px
>These amphibious anomalies have shocked and terrified both business men, farmers and police officers and remain one of the most intriguing cryptozoological mysteries in the United States.

One of the most intriguing cases encountered is that of the Loveland Frogmen, or Loveland Lizards. The story of these unique creatures begins in May of 1955, on a lonely stretch of road that runs along the Miami River in Clermont County, just on the outskirts of a small town known as Loveland, Ohio.

At approximately 3:30 a.m., an un-named business man claimed to have witnessed three, bipedal, quasi-reptilian entities congregating by the side of the road. The man pulled his car to the curb and observed these creatures for what he estimated to be about three minutes. During this time he noticed that these strange beings stood between 3 and 4-feet tall, were covered with leathery skin, and had webbed hands and feet. Their most distinguishing characteristic, however, was their distinctly “frog-like” heads, which the man claimed bore deep wrinkles where there hair should have been.

Just as the man was about to steal away, one of the creatures suddenly held what the witness could only describe as a “wand” above its head. The anonymous source further claimed that sparks spewed out of the end of this device. He left posthaste.

Thus begins the bizarre legend of the Loveland Frog Men.
>>
>>19177821
Ultimately, still just speculation.
>>
>>19177821
>no one has noticed in thousands of years of inhabitation on that island see >>19177440
read the thread you blind fuck
>>
>>19177836
Yes, some guy on an anonymous image board saying he saw one after that picture has already been known for years is definitely proof this is something people have known about at some point throughout the long history of people living, and writing about things, in Greece.
>>
File: yateveo.jpg (43KB, 271x300px) Image search: [Google]
yateveo.jpg
43KB, 271x300px
>The Ya-te-veo is a famous Carnivorous Tree found in South America with a more famous African cousin. In J. W. Buel's Land and Sea (1887), the Ya-te-veo ("I-see-you-already") plant is said to catch and consume large insects, but also attempts to consume humans.

>The Ya-te-veo is said to be a carnivorous plant that grows in parts of Central and South America with cousins in Africa and on the shores of the Indian Ocean. There are many different descriptions of the plant, but most reports say it has a short, thick trunk and long tendril-like appendages which are used to catch prey. Some even claim it has an eye to locate its prey with.
>>
>>19177848
>don't believe this guy on 4chan
>but believe this dude on youtube

o i am laffin
>>
>>19177754
Yeah, I could buy there being some pretty freaky deep ocean or cave dwelling creatures
>>
File: Minhocao.png (316KB, 445x479px) Image search: [Google]
Minhocao.png
316KB, 445x479px
>The Minhocão ("big earthworm" in Brazilian Portuguese) is a large earthworm-like cryptid that allegedly exists in the forests of South America. It reportedly resembles a giant worm, with scaly black skin, a readily visible mouth and a pair of tentacle-like structures protruding from its head.

>According to at least one witness, it also has a pig-like snout.
Although this species is principally fossorial, it also has aquatic habits. It has been reported to prey on large surface animals, including cattle, by suddenly capturing them from below the water.
>>
File: MongolianDeathWorm.jpg (194KB, 1200x630px) Image search: [Google]
MongolianDeathWorm.jpg
194KB, 1200x630px
>The Mongolian Death Worm's native name, Olgoi-Khorkhoi, means "intestine worm", due to its red blood-like color, and size, which is the size of an intestine. It has been described by many to be from 2-7ft long, have the ability to spit out a corrosive yellow saliva and to generate blasts of electricity. However this latter power is thought of as being folkloric by the nomads of the Gobi. Western culture has come to call this monster the "Mongolian Death Worm."

>Mongolian nomads believe the giant worm covers its prey with an acidic substance that turns everything a corroded yellow colour. Legend says that as the creature begins to attack it raises half its body out of the sand and starts to inflate until it explodes, releasing the lethal poison all over the unfortunate victim. The poison is so venomous that the prey dies instantly. Livestock and humans are supposed to be its main prey.
>>
File: La_bete_du_gevaudan (1).jpg (62KB, 534x387px) Image search: [Google]
La_bete_du_gevaudan (1).jpg
62KB, 534x387px
What was it, /x/?
>>
File: SewerAlligator.jpg (45KB, 480x358px) Image search: [Google]
SewerAlligator.jpg
45KB, 480x358px
Kind of a cryptid, as they aren't recognized by the scientific community.

>Sewer Alligators are said to be alligators living in the sewers. Dissenters view them as urban legends, though many alligators have been discovered. They are often thought to be pets released into the sewer due to them growing too large. Most often reported in New York City and other popular cities, they have also been found in states where alligators are common, such as Florida. Sewer alligator stories date back to the late 1920s and early 1930s.

>In coastal cities, tourists could often buy small baby alligators. A common belief is that these alligators would be brought back into the city, and discarded when they grew too large.
>>
>>19177785
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teratornis
>became extinct 10,000 years ago
Nope
>>
>>19177743
Don't know, I've never seen a cryptid either. Didn't realize this had to be a "Monsters whose existences were confirmed thread." Shall we talk about the mountain gorilla, then?

What state are you in? I don't expect they'll just be out there, eager to meet a human, whatever there is in your area.

>>19177766
What about the Big Grey Man, or Scottish fairies? What about the bodach or cailleach? Redcaps? Selkies? Trows? Wirry-cows?

In looking up Scottish monsters for this post I did notice a lot of kelpies and water horses. I'm curious why you don't think there's any proof for kelpies though, and why you think the Loch Ness monster is a plesiosaur.
Thread posts: 67
Thread images: 23

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.