[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there an afterlife in gnosticism? If there is, why wouldn't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 10

File: 1.png (2MB, 1500x1286px) Image search: [Google]
1.png
2MB, 1500x1286px
Is there an afterlife in gnosticism? If there is, why wouldn't all gnostics immediately kill themselves after accepting the gnostic belief in order to free their divine spark from their flesh?

Going to dump these cartoon versions of the gnostic myth according to Valentinus that some other /x/ dude made
>>
File: 2.png (2MB, 1500x1286px) Image search: [Google]
2.png
2MB, 1500x1286px
Also, if killing yourself won't do the trick, how will "gnosis" free you?
>>
File: 3.png (2MB, 1500x1286px) Image search: [Google]
3.png
2MB, 1500x1286px
I really wish the dude who made these would make more or elaborate on the story some more, I only have six pics.
>>
File: 4.png (739KB, 1500x1286px) Image search: [Google]
4.png
739KB, 1500x1286px
I still don't even really understand how the demiurge is supposed to be evil, really. Why is being material so bad anyway? Not to say being purely spiritual wouldn't be better, but I don't necessarily see how it's cruel.
>>
File: 5.png (130KB, 1500x1286px) Image search: [Google]
5.png
130KB, 1500x1286px
Oops, sorry, miscounted. I have 8 pics.
>>
File: 6.png (1MB, 1500x1286px) Image search: [Google]
6.png
1MB, 1500x1286px
Although I am being kind of sarcastic with my comments I am hoping to get some sincere answers. I'm Christian so I'm coming from a completely different mindset.
>>
File: 7.png (314KB, 1500x1286px) Image search: [Google]
7.png
314KB, 1500x1286px
Christ being the one who tempts Adam and Eve to eat the forbidden fruit is beyond edgy.
>>
File: 8.png (303KB, 3500x1900px) Image search: [Google]
8.png
303KB, 3500x1900px
Alright, this is the last one. I'll come back in a little bit, see you later gnostics.
>>
File: 1496363258765.jpg (913KB, 1225x897px) Image search: [Google]
1496363258765.jpg
913KB, 1225x897px
I love these pictures thanks a lot
>>
File: Demiurge 012.gif (98KB, 500x534px) Image search: [Google]
Demiurge 012.gif
98KB, 500x534px
Depend on your definition of life.

If killing yourself will put you on the "other side", you will surely not have developped what's required to stay in that kind if state of being. You need to actively rise yourself your vibration. Matter being one of the lowest frequencies of vibration.
Demiurge, aka matter can be seen as evil because it's not the totality, the complet truth, just a part. But evil does not exist.

Gnostic current exist in all religion. You can read about christian gnostic, using a system you're already familiar might help you understand. Thought remember, truth is higher than religion.

Christ is not a person, but a state of being.

Though this comic is funny, you will not get much of it. Start with an internet research, read, think, reflect, meditate. The word, in itself are meaningless, they are just here to help us grasp what's beyond, what can't be named.

Sorry for my english, hope this will help you.
And for a starter, here is a link :
http://www.kheper.net/topics/Gnosticism/intro.htm
http://www.kheper.net/topics/Gnosticism/glossary.html

Good luck !
>>
Goes on and on and on...
>>
Those are great, thanks for posting
>>
>>19159000

the idea that the demiurge must be evil, or at least flawed, comes from the philosophical "problem of evil".

if your religion teaches (as most do) that your god is all knowing, all powerful, and all good - then why do bad things happen to good people? why are there starving innocent children in Africa? why did the Black Plague wipe out 2/3 of the population of Europe or whatever it was? etc.

it's not hard, especially in ancient times, to see that the world has a lot of bad shit in it. or, at least, broken / imperfect shit. if God is absolutely perfect, and he's incapable of creating anything shitty, why is there shit everywhere?

anyway, Greeks borrowed an older word for "guy who makes shit" and posited that he was less perfect than the real God god, and other people ran with the idea and smashed it into the religions they were working on, and Gnostic Christians were one of those groups.

it's kind of just kicking the can down the road (like all the answers always were), because now you've got a perfect God creating an imperfect Demiurge (or creating a less perfect Sophia which created a less perfect Demiurge, or however many layers it takes), but anyway here we are, with the 6,389,123rd religious idea that kind of doesn't make sense.

the Demiurge isn't always "evil", sometimes he's just fucked up and broken like Men are and he doesn't know any better.
>>
>>19159292

(cont)

anyway i believe separating the divine and material realms is a big deal for Gnostics because of the idea that perfect Truth exists out there somewhere but you can't get it for yourself, it can only come from someone perfect (God). he can choose to reach down out of heaven and stuff some wisdom into your head, but because you're still flawed you can't communicate it to anyone else in a way that makes it distinguishable from the madman next to you on the subway ranting about thetans.

which does do a reasonable job of explaining the situation we seem to be in, with a couple hundred competing religions and philosophies all seemingly with about the same amount of evidence and logic, and none of them statistically differentiable from the idea that there isn't any God at all, yet somehow we're supposed to pick the "correct" answer from this hodgepodge or go to Hell for eternity, which is obviously a pretty fucked up thing for a benevolent entity to do to us.
>>
>>19159000
The demiurge also controls the three abrahamic religions, and convicned them to murder convert and pillage in his name. He is believed to be the god Yahweh. So all of his shitty Old Testament actions make him evil. Instead of letting humans reach the first father. The demiurge takes those who have not achieved gnosis and forces them to reincarnate into another body and shit. So it's like an eternity of being with your asshole uncle.
>>
>>19159292
The first father isn't even really a god. It's kinda like Brahmn in Hinduism. Or like azathoth in love craft books. It's more of a force and representation of being and divinity. Sounds like niggas got high and made a new religion to me.
>>
>>19160117
>cave gases
>hallucinations
drugs play a major role in divine intetaction
>>
reincarnation senpai. When you die you and have not reached gnosis you come back into another body or something else
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.