[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone know where I can find some sort of glossary on occult stuff?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

So, I have seen a lot of different sorts of manuscripts people mention on this board that just kind of give me the impression that they all are belonging to different occult divisions. Asides from that, I get the impression that a lot of this stuff is Satanist or something, if any of this turns out to be real I don't want to end up selling my soul or some shit and besides that, my parents are pretty christian and I think that although they wouldn't appreciate my interest in occultism, I am fairly sure that it would be much easier to explain than being involved in Satanism. So, does anyone know of some sort of guide to what's what in terms of the occult and potentially some recommended reading?
>>
>>19156504
idk maybe read the sticky?
>>
>>19156532
Oh shit, that has all that stuff? Thanks man, sorry I'm really bad at reading stickies on pretty much any board/site given that usually it's just really obvious generic rule shit.
>>
>>19156551
Yeah, so I went and took a look at the sticky but I still don't really get the divisions, as in what's satanist and what's not and the difference between Hermetics, Magik, and the hundred other different beliefs that seem to be prevalent on this board.
>>
check out the /omg/ thread

thoth's library is amazing - has everything you could need
>>
>>19156611
Heard of that, wtf do you mean by /omg though? I though all threads came in boards.4chan.org/(board_name)/thread/(thread_ID) format.
>>
>>19156551
>>19156603
Yeah, i know. thats alot of stuff to sort through in the Sticky.

Hermeticism might be a good place to start. Also since the term "Occult" when used to refer to ancient systems of belief or philosophy really just means "Hidden", or "secret knowledge", don't let the word "Occult" taint your perception of these different areas of study.

Also Manly P. Hall gave alot of lectures concerning some of these things. Some of his lectures were on YT in the past. He also wrote many books on occult teachings. his works have nothing to do with devil worship.

http://www.manlyphall.org/
>>
>>19156624
its the occult and magic general thread on /x/
its posted with /omg/ in the body

/OCCULT&MAGICGENERAL/
>>
>>19156603
Lots of the occult is based on the Mysteries of Ancient Egypt and Greece. These are adapted from teachings in the East. Hermeticism deals with the teachings of Hermes Trismegistus. It's not satanic. Early Christian fathers even praised him. The Gnostics were deemed heretical by the Church and their writings were destroyed but they were not a satanic group. Even Crowley wasn't a satanist (he hated being accused of being involved with black magic).
>>
Read Manly P Hall's "The Secret Teachings of All Ages." He explains the origins of the occult.
>>
>>19156661
Oh that one. Got it, thanks man.

>>19156659
Thanks for the leads on that man, I'll check out that guy's stuff now. Oh, and btw I'm not explicitly saying that anything on here is necessarily Satanist, but I have seen a few upside down pentagrams and post replies warning of Satanism in a few posts so I'm just taking precaution.
>>
>>19156504
Some classics that will give you some background and different insights:

"Morals & Dogma" by Albert Pike

"Melchizedek and the Mystery of Fire" by Manly P. Hall

"What the Ancient Wisdom Expects of its Disciples" by Manly P. Hall

"The Lost Keys of Freemasonry" by Manly P. Hall

"The Emerald Tablet of Hermes" and "The Kybalion"

"The Science of Mind" by Earnest Holmes
>>
>>19156504
>a lot of this stuff is Satanist or something
I've seen very little of that. Most Satanist stuff I have seen, though, has been full of edgelords.

>my parents are pretty christian
>they wouldn't appreciate my interest in occultism
That's an easy one. Stick to the Christian end of the spectrum. Heaven, getting ghosts to "pass over to the other side," command of demons with the names of God, etc.

Thankfully, the authors of many of the old texts were Christian, and thus justified their study as scientific or religious in nature.

I would agree with what people are saying about Ape's library, except it sounds like OP is having trouble with how convoluted it all seems to begin with, so I'd suggest just the Beginners section at first.

>>19156677
Ugh, I recently started reading it. Maybe it's because I'm using a text-to-speech reader to keep me on track, but it's so fucking dull. When does it get interesting?
>>19156659
>lectures
That might help.
>>
>>19156698
Secret teaching of all ages by mph is great and public domain
>>
Esoteric Libray; TONS of great info!:

https://mega.nz/#F!AE5yjIqB!y7Vdxdb5pbNsi2O3zyq9KQ
>>
>>19156742
>secret teachings
>Ugh, I recently started reading it

Yes, i have that one, its not a small short book.
I made several attempts and never got far. As valuable a read as it may be i wouldn't recommend it to a beginner.

which is why i recommend these first-
>>19156735

"Melchizedek and the Mystery of Fire" by Manly P. Hall

"What the Ancient Wisdom Expects of its Disciples" by Manly P. Hall

"The Lost Keys of Freemasonry" by Manly P. Hall

all relatively short quick reads but an easier introduction into the material
>>
>>19156742
I'm approaching SToAA like I would a textbook. The connections between symbolism in mythology should be analyzed in depth. Hall just gives an intro to these topics. I have a feeling that while the book seems to be all over the place he has an underlying message woven within.
>>
Many P. Hall lecture on Morals & Dogma

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QAUUkoX2Rk
>>
>>19156840
listening ti this right now. it's over 7 hours long

really interesting once you get past the first part that just talks about Albert Pike's life
>>
>>19156742
Well... when I said religous I kind of meant in the worst kind of way, but only in a moderate sort of degree. You see, they aren't really terribly religiously motivated but sometimes try to be, but are really just kinda kidding themselves as I see it. Them trying to keep my from "unchristian" stuff is kinda like taking a bite of a shitty cheeseburger, not liking it, and then putting it in the freezer convincing themselves that their "not in the mood for a cheeseburger" but then the cheeseburger tastes even more like shit. So, if they see anything that's not mainstream Christianity it'll just not really fly with them. And besides, the stuff you mentioned isn't quite the kind of shit I'm looking to do anyways but thanks for the advisory of Satanism's presence on this board.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.