[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I into meditation, /x/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 7

File: ultraheaven.png (335KB, 483x700px) Image search: [Google]
ultraheaven.png
335KB, 483x700px
How do I into meditation, /x/?
>>
>>19141864
Not by posting a thread
I have meditated before, and it's very different from what most people think. AMA
>>
>>19141901
How is it different from what most people think? Or rather, what do you think people think it is? and what techniques/system did you utilize?
>>
>>19141924
Most people would think that it's some autistic Buddhism thing. Sitting down and making weird noises on the ground while a waterfall cums all over you.
Meditation is basically keeping a clear mind, thinking of nothing or one thing in particular. Whilst making full use of their conscience. Don't focus on what you hear or see, but realise what's happening in your mind.
I doubt you'd make use of my techniques since they're not applicable for every person.

Protip: it's not gonna be a one night thing, might take at least several months
>>
File: 1495399075035-x.jpg (2MB, 2215x2711px) Image search: [Google]
1495399075035-x.jpg
2MB, 2215x2711px
Try this. The basic thing is to just keep your mind clear, the magic comes after you relax.
>>
File: 1496967881951.jpg (481KB, 1500x1060px) Image search: [Google]
1496967881951.jpg
481KB, 1500x1060px
>>19141901
>I have meditated before
I meditate daily.

>>19141924
It's as simple as closing your eyes and focusing on your breathing and only your breathing. It won't work for a long time if you're like most people. It takes hours of practice, but is very worth the effort.

The benefits are as such;
>clearer thought patterns both while meditating and not
>the ability to flick your gnosis switch on and off(singular thought essentially)
>heightened problem solving skills in critical situations
>general good vibes. You gain more control over your thoughts, which leads to more control over your feelings, which is very good for those of us that are a little bit depressed/angsty/etc.
>makes for a more patient person
There's a lot more, really. The benefits are as expansive as your own imagination and will.

Start by simply focusing on your breathing.

Inhale.
Exhale.
Repeat.

Next up, you'll want to learn to focus your ideas in one unified direction.
This can be done in innumerable ways. The way I was taught was to focus on one point, directly between my eyes and about an inch above. Just focus on your breath.

Inhale.
Exhale.
Repeat.
And imagine pooling all of your bodies inert momentum and energy into that one point.

It might start to tingle. This is not your third eye opening. People telling you that your third eye will literally open and it is something you can feel are full of shit. It's all metaphor. The idea is to emulate the idea, though.

See, the third eye opening is supposed to represent a new kind of sight that most people never get to experience. This sight is something of a spiritual tool for both self-examination and to understand the common strings tying you to each other person and thing. Sight beyond sight is literally understanding that we are all made up of practically the same stuff, both physically and mentally. This, along with learning how to attain peace of mind, is the entire point of meditation and most belief systems involving it.
>>
Get comfy, clear your head.
That's it.

Eventually you can start linking it to astral stuff and making a place on your head when you meditate. But start easy.
>>
>>19141992
This is what I meant by normies meditating
This is what a 40 year old white woman who got divorced would do.
Third eye my ass
>>
>>19141992
The point will feel tingly because you are literally directing your bodies resources to that one point. Your blood flow will change to fit this singular idea. Not in any way large enough to affect health, mind you.

Anything else you wanted to know?
>>
>>19141960
Lol how the hell do you think this is what "most people" think meditation is? I haven't even met ONE person who thinks that's what meditation is.
>>
>>19142006
What do you, mean? I'm not OP and I think that is pretty solid advice for a newcomer.
>>
>>19142006
It actually sounds a lot like a technique from Psychonaut.
>"Normies"
And you think most serious yogis are what? Addicted to 4chan?
>>
>>19141992
When your third eye opens, your psychic awareness is active and you can start to harness it for occult purposes.
The first exercise you should try is levitation.
Gather the focus and project it at the ground underneath you until you feel lighter.
While sitting, thrust your legs downwards a bit so you hop. Maintain focus.
Keep doing this, and each time you can feel yourself stay aloft slightly longer.
You can use a cushion to keep from bruising your butt, but not using a cushion is holier.
Eventually, you will start levitating.
>>
>>19142011
They sound like someone who got introduced to the idea thru Psychonaut...so maybe they haven't been doing it for years, but can you point to one thing they said that's epistemologically incorrect?
>>
>>19142016
>>19142022
I played all of Psychonauts and I don't remember this at all. Was it in occult code? I always knew that was a really greenpilled game.
>>
File: 1496975189495.jpg (942KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1496975189495.jpg
942KB, 1920x1080px
>>19142006
Did you read what I posted? I don't think it took. Might want to give it another shot, friend.

The third eye is not real. It's a metaphor for something real. Nothing magical about it. Just smart people(long, looooong dead smart people) that figured out something good and tried to teach it to all of those that would otherwise never figure it out on their own.

it wouldn't stick for them either, initially. The story was too dry or something, so they added all the magical/religious aspects to kind f trick people into bettering themselves, while they believe they're communing with god/reality/whatever they want to believe.

That's my take on it, at least.
>>
>>19142022
It's not true meditation, maybe they'll feel somewhat close to what they're doing. But it's not the real deal.
Won't say anything about true meditation, you wouldn't be interested in it
>>
>>19142030
This is exactly what he meant by normies meditating
This is exactly what a 40 year old white woman who got divorced would do.
>>
>>19142038
True meditation is just for killing off the rest of your desires if living in a 10'x10' box and eating plain rice for years doesn't do it. You get magic powers as soon as you don't care enough to use them.
>>
>>19142038
>won't say anything about true meditation
Hmm... Could it be, perhaps, because you are talking out of your ass? Naahh that can't be it, I'm SURE you know all about what you're talking about, despite not being able to back up ANY of your assertions with reference to any of the various traditions with literally thousands of years of accumulated knowledge, texts, techniques, &c.

Yeah, seems legit.
>>
>>19141864
Eh, by just doing it. Too many people get stuck on talking about meditation than practicing it, especially beginners.

The fact is, meditation can be very boring at first and not at all like your pic. If you'd like to get into the practice, you should know that ahead of time. It's not going to suddenly be mystical experiences every time you sit. It may happen later on or so but it's not something you should expect.

There's not much to say about it except try it out and see how it goes. There are many different kinds of practices with different goals. You can do a bare-bones kind of meditation which is just to watch your breath rise and fall, repeat a mantra with each turn if you need help with your concentration.

Try this. Sit in a comfortable position, on a chair or wherever. Sit in a lotus posture for balance. Place one hand over the other palms up on your lap. Close your eyes and watch your breath. For each inhale say the word "So" in your mind or out loud. For each exhale say the word "Ham". Do this and you will eventually find a rhythm. Do not attempt to force your breathing, just let it happen naturally. If you get distracted by thoughts, bring attention back to the breathing.

You can start with 20 mins at first then go up to 40 eventually. That should be a comfortable starting practice. Try to do it each day if possible but don't burn yourself out.

Chakras and third eyes are not your concern at the beginning stages. They will automatically take care of themselves.

If there was a goal to be had in meditation, it would be to continually dive deeper into the silence, as far as you can go and more. It will be nothing like your picture. You will not have vast array of visions and if you did, they will be more distracting to you as a beginner than of any use. You are not tripping, not high, in fact you will be in your most sober state. It will be unbearable to be this sober at first, but if you want to know yourself, you have to be willing to sit.
>>
>>19142027
They're referencing the psychonaut field manual, and while I have read it and like a lot about it, I was taught by a now dead friend in the early nineties. They paid a spiritual guide to teach them and gave me the lessons for free. It's helped me in various ways, since.

>>19142038
We're all entitled to, at least, our own ideas. I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on the topic, if you're interested in sharing. might sway me even, if you choose your words tactfully.

I think when you get down to it, anything religious or spiritual is only as real as you believe it to be. I can't prove anything besides the tangible exists, besides my own thoughts. I refuse to buy anything magical or paranormal is true unless it can be proved to me, but at the same time feel all things magical and paranormal are real to those that believe them to be. Again though, just my take on things.
>>
>>19141864
That picture really sucks by the way because it teaches people to think of meditation as some kind of spectacle. That mindset can be the biggest obstacle and detriment to actual meditation.
>>
>>19142066
Solid advice and well said. Not op, but thanks for sharing your take.
>>
>>19142087
No problem. I hope it helps.
>>
>>19142079
Meditation would be boring if it were interesting enough to be boring.
>>
File: ultra-heaven-manga-03.jpg (513KB, 883x1280px) Image search: [Google]
ultra-heaven-manga-03.jpg
513KB, 883x1280px
>>19142079
it is a page from a short and creative manga about drug use/altered states of consciousness
>>
File: A1E.jpg (29KB, 277x403px) Image search: [Google]
A1E.jpg
29KB, 277x403px
>>19141864

First things first, you need to learn how to breathe. Not that instinctual shit you're doing right now. Find a place near you that teaches yoga or qigong and take classes. Breathing is one of the fundamentals of both, and any competent instructor will make sure you damn well learn how to do it right before teaching you anything else. As for meditation itself, there's different types. A common choice is zazen, so that's roughly what I'm going to explain.

>Concentration: Babby's First Step -- You focus on your breathing or reciting a mantra, not letting yourself get distracted

>Koan: You keep something like "What is the sound of one hand clapping?" in mind

>Shikantaza: Don't focus on anything in particular but be aware of your surroundings and your thoughts. Observe without interaction
>>
>>19142203
IDK if I would call mantra yoga "Baby's first." it's pretty hard at first to get the mantra so ingrained as to repeat it "unconsciously" from the moment one awakes until the moment one falls asleep. Unless of course you meant just using the mantra DURING meditation?
>>
>>19142218

During. It's a tool to disciprine the mind, in this particular instance.
>>
>>19142184
Cool. I like the art actually, just not tying it with meditation because of the expectations it creates. Is the title Ultra Heaven? Seems like an interesting read.
>>
>>19142268
yes ultra heaven. would highly recommend.
>>
>>19141978
Nicé, thanks.
>>
>>19142006
the REAL redpill is that your asshole is the third eye
>>
File: pet.jpg (84KB, 450x338px) Image search: [Google]
pet.jpg
84KB, 450x338px
>>19141864
Only true form of meditation I have tried is while on psychedelics (Shrooms, LSD). There is a sweet spot in your mind that you can access while on them, probably referenced as the third eye as it feels like it is inbetween your eyes, and a bit above them (Lower middle of the forehead directly above nose). When I reach this location in my mind while on this substance, I am able to push forward into different realms. It literally looks like you are travelling through a wormhole of some sort, you keep on going inside of different shapes. I normally achieve this state by first off, having absolutely NO distractions, your mind must be free of any sort of guilt, stress, anxiety, etc. This will distract your mind to no end, and will make you become lost in distressed thought. Secondly, I like to do this while sitting in a very comfortable position. Typically when there isn't a really nice chair available, criss-cross is the most comfortable method. Good posture while performing this is also indefinitely encouraged, as it allows the deepest breaths. Sometimes when doing this, I become distressed by my breathing, sometimes think I may be breathing too hard or too fast and might somehow be giving my brain too much oxygen, I doubt this is even mildly logical, but my brain somehow tricks me into becoming stressed.
tl;dr
>Good Posture
>Breath
>Clear Mind
>Enhanced experience: Psychedelics
>>
I'd give Sam Harris' book "Waking Up" a read if you have the time, or Dan Harris' one (they aren't related)

You get different kinds of meditation, most common methods are Vipassana (Insight) and Metta (loving-kindness).

Vipassana or the insight you gain is through the practise of mindfulness. The goal is to see things are they really are; without judgement, expectation, clinging and aversion. To just be totally 'with' experience.

The practise is especially simple but not easy. Like other people said, you pick an object of meditation, usually the breath for beginners and focus on the sensation of respiration and when you become distracted by a thought your return to the practise. You do this for your whole sitting.

This meditation is good because it requires not belief in a god or deity, just a capability everyone has.

The main obstacle you will find in meditation is the fact the mind wants something from everything. The moment you get a desirable result, like some bliss, the mind clings to it and corrupts your meditation.

The path is to always let go, bliss isn't what your after, the letting go of your want of bliss is the goal
>>
some basic and helpful resources, an ebook and some guided meditation audio. the trickiest part is getting into a regular routine.

http://www.meditationexpert.com/ebok/howtomeditate.pdf
http://www.mediafire.com/file/9avnnk9e5180bon/Meditation.zip
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.