[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to start Alchemy?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: alchemy.jpg (12KB, 224x225px) Image search: [Google]
alchemy.jpg
12KB, 224x225px
Books, guides, etc etc welcome
>>
Holmyard, Burckhardt, Evola. in that order.

also work through the stuff on Adam McLean's site.

if this doesn't make sense, anon, research and study ain't for you.
>>
File: 1493500548245.jpg (258KB, 1000x1381px) Image search: [Google]
1493500548245.jpg
258KB, 1000x1381px
psychonaut field manual
http://orig10.deviantart.net/abcd/f/2017/047/8/6/the_psychonaut_field_manual_fourth_pdf_edition_by_bluefluke-d8rjuxc.pdf
>>
>>19140226
looks like the occult met tumblr
>>
>>19140226
I almost can't take it seriously in that artstyle.
>>
>>19139915
start mixing shit together
>>
>>19140350
i don't think shit is good for mixing
>>
I managed to find "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Alchemy" in a Borders once. Was a good read, seems like a decent place to start.

>>19140226
Does it really have something to do with alchemy? I still haven't read it.

>>19140350
That's a bit reckless.

>>19140973
Actually, some have thought fecal matter may be the prima materia required for creating the Philosopher's Stone. I don't know if I buy into that though.
>>
>>19140037
>Holmyard, Burckhardt, Evola. in that order.
>Evola
Why though?
After the first two you're more or less prepared to delve into the actual source texts via Manly Hall's collection or any other such corpus.

I've got a folder on it, in /omg/.
>>
>>19141090
Because Evola has a somewhat different interpretation to Burckhardt, one which both complements if not completes it. Plus it's a more complex read, which raises the bar in terms of comprehending the original texts.

>muh fascist, right?

save the feels for the New Age thread, alchemy, of all things, is not about the politically correct.
>>
>>19141102
Y'know, I actually agree with most of his politics more often than I don't.

I'm more concerned about his speculations that tried to force alignments between his personal politics and the intent of source materials that weren't necessarily there.

Whatever, though. Source materials > All contemporary comments.
>>
>>19141114
in that regard, why not examine more closely E and B's differing reading as to the significance of the colour symbolism - and its sequence - in the alchemical work.

direct bearing on the cosmological view underpinning the social and political organisation of man, from the point of view of caste/varna.

reading too much into the original texts?

I doubt it.
>>
>>19139915
just get a chem set
alchemy is primitive chemistry
>>
>>19141744
On the surface, yes. Take some time to read the works of the alchemists though. They repeatedly state that their Work is more valuable than gold. The true alchemist is not materialistic and scorns those who take the quest for gold literally.
>>
>>19141821
>the true alchemist
Please tell me you're not one of these people who thinks that Paracelsus, et al. weren't literally practicing physical alchemy along with 'personal' and/or 'sexual' alchemy? Because most historical Alchemists were indeed trying to literally transmute baser substances into gold

So, tell me again about "No true Scotsman"
>>
>>19141090
Ape, you seriously have to overcome your biases. I'm speculating, but I feel as though they all stem from the fact that you're a shitskin.
>>
>>19141821
>They repeatedly state that their Work is more valuable than gold. The true alchemist is not materialistic and scorns those who take the quest for gold literally.
so almost like a science huh?
>>
>>19143500
It is almost like a science.
What it isn't is a science.
I'm not saying it's not valid because it's not science, it's valid..
>>
>>19141744
not in the slightest, no.

the proto-chemistry thing is a meme.
>>
>>19143526
>>19143588
Unlike chemistry there definitely was a sense of spirituality about alchemy, and I'm sure a lot of that is due to them associating basic chem reactions to magic and the supernatural. I'm still sticking to my guns and will refer to it as primitive chemistry, even though with their limited knowledge they did think outside the box and work outside the rules. I'm not downplaying it by any means, chemistry is a fantastic big boy game.
>>
File: 1468532961922.jpg (365KB, 750x725px) Image search: [Google]
1468532961922.jpg
365KB, 750x725px
>>19142900
ouch, harshing my mellow broseph
>>
>>19142900
He's the best poster this website including all boards has ever had. I don't care if he's a four foot tall cleft palate half jew half bantu that campaigned for Hillary.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.