[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this a good starter point to magick?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: 1.jpg (50KB, 333x499px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
50KB, 333x499px
>>
>>19093017
>Gossip
>Bullies
Kek. Read Ophiel's Art and Practice of the Occult or Kraig's Modern Magick. If you are interested in Crowley he's an option too.
>>
>>19093017
I've honestly never heard of this book. Anyone know if it's any good?
>>
>>19093017
Franz Bardon: Initiation into Hermetics
>>
>>19093562
I don't think Kraig knows wtf he's talking about. He apparently recommends the Watchtower Ritual (an Enochian Rite) as a catch-all opening for evocation. Liber ABA and Liber O (Crowley) are much more useful for that sort of thing, in my opinion. Of course, anyone marketing a book as "all you need to know in one book" (Konstantinos, Kraig, Bardon) is probably full of shit, anyway unless that book is the size of a dining hall
>>
>>19094299
I read Kraig's book a while ago as an intro. He does a decent job explaining the Middle Pillar and LBRP. I never made it through the whole book. Ophiel introduces a variation of the LBRP also (very beginner text but the underlying concepts are good). Crowley's works are great but sometimes his presentation isn't the clearest.
>>
>>19094557
Some of his more poetic books can be difficult, particularly Liber 333 (Book of lies). But I think Liber ABA (Book 4) and Liber O are pretty darn straightforward.

I think for the two Rites you mention, Regardie also does an excellent job explaining them in his "The Middle pillar."

What do you mean by "variation of LBRP?"
>>
>>19094570
True. Those are straightforward. I'm having a tough time figuring out his messages in Liber Aleph though. Ophiel adds in some extra visualizations with the four winds and you call them by name. It's a little more focused on the elements.
>>
>>19094595
What do you mean 4 winds? Can you link me/copy/paste please?

liber Aleph deals with the "birth" of his "magical son" Charles Stansfield Jones (aka frater Achad) and the implications of Achad's discoveries of the "keys" to Liber L, what that means, &c.
>>
>>19094607
All his works are hosted here:

http://www.theakurians.com/AkurianDocuments/Ophiel/

The rite is given is his visualization book and he gradually builds upon it in the occult book.
>>
>>19094649
Hmm. It reads like it was translated from another language. I guess it's alright. Certainly nor as bad as the book that got me into occultism (actualy the Satanic bible got me into 'occultism' but I read "Summoning Spirits" by Konstantinos. he gave some decent exercises to help with visualization, and a decent outline of the lesser banishing rites, but really didn't go into detail RE" the "why" and "wherefore," or teach any invoking rites other than Watchtower. Seriously, I can't understand why there are so many "All you need is this one book" type 'occult' authors.
>>
>>19094913
Ophiel has a unique style and his writing can seem all over the place but I have heard that his techniques work.
>>
>>19094946
I don't doubt that his techniques work. Bardon's techniques 'work" as well, but I wouldn't recommend him to anyone.
>>
File: cover.jpg (144KB, 880x1333px) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
144KB, 880x1333px
>>19093831

Damon Brand and his associates are just regurgitated and superficial "western tradition" stuff. This one is better.
>>
File: cover.jpg (120KB, 1006x1569px) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
120KB, 1006x1569px
>>19093017

This book actually does a pretty good job of covering the basics from a non-sectarian position. Shows the common ground that underlies all (or at least most) systems of magic without being locked into any specific one. Good place to start and might make it a little easier to decide what direction you want to go in.
>>
thank you anon, do you have the download?
>>
>>19093017
if you are interested in chaos, here is a good starting spot
http://disinfo.com/2012/12/a-beginners-guide-to-sigil-craft/
page 4 of a 5 page tutorial
you could play it safe and go to the beginning.
or, you could start by just trying some shit and seeing how well it works out.
>>
Soo.. are there any recommends that, you know, aren't boring to read?
>inb4 idiot read book or die.
>>
>>19095078
Oh good, I actually have that one in my collection. I'd better get reading.
>>
>>19095091
is this in the ape's library?
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.