[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Vertical Plane

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 7

File: tvp.jpg (468KB, 870x1387px) Image search: [Google]
tvp.jpg
468KB, 870x1387px
Let's have an actual discussion on here once

Have you guys heard of the book " The Vertical Plane " by Ken Webster. It was published some time in the 1980's and is very hard to find a copy of today. After searching through online forums trying to find a copy myself, a user brought up a great point that went a long the lines of " It's very strange that many people seem to have lent out the book and never received it back, a highly strange around, which could be coincidence or not. It's definitely something to think about ".

After originally hearing about the story on the Mysterious Universe Podcast ( great podcast if you've never heard of it, give it a try ), and have been hooked ever since. I found an online forum they reference in the show and a man, Gary Rowe, who is mentioned in the books comments on it.

He talks with other users on the site and says that he cannot say some information unless he is told he is allowed too, but says and hints multiple times that if you " read between the lines " of the book, that there is much to be learned.

Is this something you guys would be interested in? There's a lot too it and I'd love to have a discussion on it. I can post a summary of the book and the information I've found so far. What do you guys think ?
>>
>>19092321
>I can post a summary of the book and the information I've found so far

I'm interested.
>>
I'm interested too. There isn't any online/scanned equivalent of the book?
>>
>>19092328
Cool. I will be posting several different summaries I've found online, and I highly recommend checking out the Mysterious Universe Podcast , Season 17 - Ep 5, Here's a link ( http://mysteriousuniverse.org/2017/02/17-05-mu-podcast/ ).

Here we go lads!

From Dancin' Hamster in December 2013

"
For years I have been searching out a book called 'The Vertical Plane'. It's an acount of a very unusual haunting that took place in Cheshire in the 1980's. I have searched and searched on Google but thus far have only come up with the following information.

It's a fascinating story and one which I'm sure you'll all be interested in ~

When strange archaic messages appeared on his computer in 1984, in the midst of classic poltergeist activity, Ken Webster sought the help of top paranormalists and wrote a book about the phenomena The Vertical Plane. Confronting them with an active and complex mystery, Ken was surprised by the inadequacy of their responses and investigations.

'What would you do if something very strange and bewildering happened to you; something uninvited yet benign; something which happened over and over again and which involved your friends, lover and colleagues? Would you want people to know ? Would you want help in understanding it ? Yes, yes! But my experience suggests you would be wasting your time.

I was living with `D' (my girlfriend) and, for a short period, Nicola (a college friend) in Meadow Cottage, a small terraced house in the village of Dodleston, near Chester. Beginning in the Autumn of 1984, a series of poltergeist events took place, focused on the kitchen area, including the stacking of objects, noises, marks on the walls and `thrown' objects. Although we did not know

Pt 1.
>>
>>19092332
Nope, very strange as well. I've looked very hard online, no scanned copies or PDF's that I've been able to find
>>
>>19092338
it at the time, poltergeist events are relatively frequently reported `anomalous' phenomena and are, frankly, rather tedious and disruptive over a period of time.

What made this different was the appearance of `direct' communications in hand written form and, unusually, other communications mediated through a primitive computer. Personal computers were only just appearing in 1984 and, as a school teacher, I had access to primitive BBC `B' computers at school. These machines had around 32k of memory, a word processor on an installed chip and the only means of saving files was to a 5.25" floppy disk on an external drive. No networking, no modem, definitely no Internet.

One evening, the computer was accidentally left on and, on our return, there was a `message', a poem of sorts. It was treated as a joke of course, but saved to disk anyway. The computer returned to school and we to our sporadic poltergeist events. A different machine, borrowed on another occasion resulted, unexpectedly, in another communication. This time the language had an archaic flavour, seemingly of 17th century Elizabethan English. It wasn't right, linguistically as my colleague Peter Trinder pointed out but the tone was threatening and we felt the joke was now in bad taste.

Pt 2
>>
>>19092347
Setting out, deliberately, to try and catch the hoax meant borrowing yet another computer, checking the disk for preloaded material, checking the house was secure and leaving the computer in the kitchen as before. Another message appeared in the same quirky `mock Tudor' style. In a matter of fact way, over a coffee, a friend suggested, well, replying ... and the results were surprising.

The reply was met with a further response and the two-way communications began in earnest. At the same time Peter Trinder's language investigations into the language style pointed up a coherence and subtlety which was not easily dismissed. But they were not perfect and in one message soon to become notorious in following investigations Peter felt particularly uncomfortable both with the history and the language.

We increased our efforts to uncover any deception; but there was a positive side effect of the computer in the kitchen ... it seemed to calm the `poltergeist' activity. Over a period of around 16 months, other associated phenomena included altered states of consciousness for D and evidence of other communicators (besides the main communicator, one Tomas Harden). Some of these other communications were unreadable (their messages were child-like nonsense and often angry); others were coherent but seemed completely contemporary and designed to unsettle. Not all messages were on the computer; they appeared on paper that was lying around, the walls or the floor. Some messages seemed unfinished unsigned as if the writer had been disturbed.'

Pt 3
>>
File: IMG_20170210_213751-570x427.jpg (36KB, 570x427px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170210_213751-570x427.jpg
36KB, 570x427px
>>19092354
All actually guys, I'm not too fond a fan of this guy's summary, and I'd rather post a summary from my own memory to my best recollection. I'll post the link ( http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/topic/9878-the-vertical-plane/ ) if you'd like to finished the summary and some links to others. I'm also going to post some pictures associated with the case that are very interesting.

I do consider myself pretty skeptical, I want to believe in something but I'm very dismissive of most stuff. Something about this case though has me hooked, it seems very definitive to me.

Another Summary

http://www.worlditc.org/c_07_senki_f_38.09.htm
>>
File: IMG_20170210_213801-570x427.jpg (22KB, 570x427px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170210_213801-570x427.jpg
22KB, 570x427px
People still here / interested?
>>
>>19092399
I'm here
still interested
>>
Here and very interested. I checked a bunch of sites and couldn't find any available copies, not even a pdf, but I'm nowhere near done yet...this shit can't just disappear. Did find this more concise description of events though:

http://thefolklorist.newtv.org/haunted-pc/
>>
File: microcomp.jpg (6KB, 266x189px) Image search: [Google]
microcomp.jpg
6KB, 266x189px
So this all starts in the Autumn of 1984 in the UK in a small village thats on the border on London and Wales called Dodleston. The book focused on the author , Ken Webster, a local teacher. At the time Ken is living with his girlfriend Debbie while his house is being renovated.

So the first thing that happens is that while painting the house they find a pair of size 5 footprints in the paint with 4 toes ( i believe ). They paint over it thinking it's a hoax so they cover it and go to sleep thinking it's nothing. The next morning when they awaken the prints are back in another location in the print, fresh.

This turns into the beginning of a long series of poltergeist like activity. Pretty much anytime they'd leave the house for a walk etc. they'd come home to find objects in the kitchen stacked into pyramids ( cat tins, pepsi bottles,etc ). At this stage of the events they're still thinking they're just being hoaxed , and due to Ken being in a band they assumed it was one of his band members.

So one day Nikki, a friend of Debbie's who is staying there temporarily as well, brings out a typewriter for a project. Ken, working at a school, offers to bring him a BBC Microcomputer ( pic ) a very early type of computer that is used for very basic word processing. Ken brings home the microcomputer and used a software called " Edward 2 ", a very basic word software with no graphical interface.

So Ken leaves the computer running, and this day he leaves to a neighbors ( Dave's ) house to watch movies. Ken says that after a day at Dave's house he comes to find a new file on the word processor. To his knowledge no one had been home so he's naturally curious, right? The file is named " k d n " and inside there's a message that's written in strange formatting with misplaced capital letters etc.
>>
The message says

" Ken Deb ni c

True A re The NIGHTmares
Of a pErson t hat FEARs
Safe A re The BODIES Of tHe
Silent WORLD
Turn Pr etty FlowER tuRn
TOWARDS The SUN
For Y o u S HalL GroW
AND SOW
But T he FLOWer Reaches
TOo high and witHERS in
The B urning Light
G E T OU T YOU
R BR ICKs
PuSsy Ca t PUSSy Cat

Went TO LonDOn TO
Seek
FamE aND FORTUNE
Faith Must NOT Be
LOst
For ThiS Shall
Be YouR REDEEMER. "

or in easier terms

" True are the nightmares of a person that fears – safe are the bodies of the silent world – Turn pretty flower, turn towards the sun for you shall grow and sow. But the flower reaches too high and withers in the burning light. Get out your bricks – Pussy Cat, Pussy Cat went to London to seek fame and fortune. Faith must not be lost for this shall be your redeemer. "

Ken said a shiver went down his spine, and that all he could focus on was the first two lines.

The poltergeist activity continues, more stacked pyramids etc. They're starting to get angry at this point but are starting to realize that a lot of the activity is happening around this area that is 3ft of exposed brick from the original building, but at this point they're still thinking it's a hoax. Even at one point they claim to find chalk marks on the exposed brick support.

Anyways, days later, Ken leaves the computer up while working on an agreement. When coming home with Debbie and Nikki, one of them jokingly make a statement to go check and see if they're friend left them a message , and sure enough, they did.
>>
>>19092459
I really hope you find it, please let me know if you do. I'll get into it more after I summarize but one of the guys that's mentioned in the book ( David Rowe ) states there's a lot of information to be found again " between the lines " in chapter 7, especially the first two words he says.
>>
"Myne goodly friend, I muste needs say, how cometh this, that there are manye thyngs for whiche I hath no rekenyng. me thinketh it, that if thou cannot telle thee for what are in myne home, then I can namoor helpe yow than if myne witts had gone. I hath no kinfolk to fynd, myne wif was wreched with thy pestilence and the Lord didst take here soule and her unbore son (1517). Myne farme 'tis humble but it hath a pretty parcel o land, it hath redstoon footynges and cleen rushes on myne beteen floor. This season I hath much to do, I hath to sow myne barley for myne ale, 'tis that is myne craft and for whiche I am beste atte I fancy. Also I hath to go to Nantwhiche to myne cowthe freend Richard Wishal whois farme be so greet as as to turn a four yeer rotacion o fallow. I do envye him he hath much there, but nought that delits me moor than his cheese it cannot be equalled by any other for pleasantness of taste and wholsomness of digestion. I shall als calle atte Nantwyche Market 'tis not so great as Cestre market by thy crios but 'tis of som desport. I shall need to go to Cestre this season to get myne soes, myne goodly freend Tomas Aldersay, a tailor by craft, makes them sometymes, I als mayketh soes but non of myne swyne are reedy 'tis far costly unlest I need kil one. Do you knoweth the country of Cestre the Water Gate is a plas that bringeth many traders 'tis a shame the port doth shrink I can record greet shipps now they grow small by each tyde, but Cestre port is still greeter than that o Leverpoole I am oft to the east wall of Cestre. Cow Lane, 'tis not so tyresome than that bt the crios that it when myne fowl or swyne doth not trip up myne poore body I hear telle that thou art a teache in Hawardine doth yow meeneth Haodine cloth, thou still earn thy greetly sum of twenty pounds per yeer I recorde myne unfavourable dean Henry Mann, who is likened to a fissh "

One of the supposed messages Ken received
>>
>>19092474

The message reads

I WRYTE ON BEHALTHE OF MANYE – WOT STRANGE WORDES THOU SPEKE …

THOU ART GOODLY MAN WHO HATH FANCIFUL WOMAN WHO DWEL IN MYNE
HOME … WITH LYTES WHICHE DEVYLL MAKETH … ‘TWAS A GREATE CRYME TO
HATH BRIBED MYNE HOUSE – L.W.

or in layman terms
I write on behalf of many – What strange words you speak … You are a worthy (good) man who has a fanciful woman, and you live in my house (who dwell in my home) … with lights which (the) devil makes … It was a great crime to have stolen (bribed) my house – L.W.

Ken goes on to say that there's something about this tone/language this is warm and friendly and makes him think it to be beyond a hoax. He further goes on to do a scan and find 3 more files that have been created that are blank.

So Ken takes this message and prints it out and takes it to a colleague at school, Peter, who is a master at the old english language. He gives a copy to Peter expecting him to point out a bunch of problems with it but then Peter says he needs to take it home to study. We find out later that Peter is not able to find any obvious mistakes and the words / sentences themselves from the 16th Century, there's nothing from past that and no obvious mistakes , some words from even the 12th century. So for someone to hoax this they'd have to have a master of Ye Old English.

By the way I'm just paraphrasing off the podcast! :)
>>
>>19092498
So out of amusement, Peter takes this document to his solicitor because he think's someone's messing with Ken and they want to draft up some questions to leave on the computer. They're thinking of questions that will show they're in different time periods so the questions go

" In the reign of Queen Elizabeth the 2nd, here L.W. Thank you for your message. We are sorry for disturbing you, what would you like us to do? Did you live in a house around this land around 1620? Why write a poem? Is the king James or Charles Steward? Was this town called Dodleston in your life. In the end after all the questions they write, Thank you for not making us afraid and thank you for all you messages,

Ken, Deb, and Nikky "

Then they leave the house up for about an hour with the document up.
>>
Hey guys I actually have to grab some sleep , have work in a couple hours. I'll pick this up after work tomorrow, hope you all enjoy yourselves. I highly encourage you to look into this, I'll pick up where I left off tomorrow! Gonna use a name now as well
>>
>>19092321
>Let's have an actual discussion on here once
How about you take that shitty fucking attitude and shove it up your tiny little gay butthole?
Think you can just come in here talkin shit, insulting everybody here. Fuck you and your gay ass book, ya dingus. I'll vertical plane my foot in your ass. Fuckin dillweed.
>>
File: Angry_moth_noises.gif (580KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
Angry_moth_noises.gif
580KB, 480x360px
>>19093737
>How about you take that shitty fucking attitude and shove it up your tiny little gay butthole?
>Think you can just come in here talkin shit, insulting everybody here. Fuck you and your gay ass book, ya dingus. I'll vertical plane my foot in your ass. Fuckin dillweed.
(You)
>>
>>19093737
>The anon is triggered
>>
calling 2109
>>
>>19092321
>" It's very strange that many people seem to have lent out the book and never received it back

this happens nearly every time you lend out a book.
>>
File: image.jpg (214KB, 1036x890px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
214KB, 1036x890px
>>19092498

This is a good thread. I've always wondered how technology can be further used in paranormal & mysterious stuff.

In Sedona you can take a night time UFO tour where they give you military night vision goggles. I've always wanted to try it. Pic semi related
>>
My mum has/had a copy of the book as I live in Cheshire not too far away from where the story happened and it's always been of interest to us. I can see if she can find it although I don't fancy scanning the entire book!

I've not read it all but the bits I can remember are pretty interesting.

Effectively he starts chatting to this monk who says that one day he is just chilling in his house when suddenly this box of light appear in his house (the computer). So basically the whole point is is that this guy isn't a ghost, but there is some sort of weird time thing going on.

The author also gets messages from other time frames and eras too including from the future.

If the thread is still alive in the next day or two ill try and lend it from my mum and scan some of the interesting pages for you all.
>>
>>19092321
OK. I got this book when it very first came out. This guy is a lying shit and it's all made up. Here's why.
In part of the book he claims that the guy from olden times uses a word that scholars couldn't identify. In fact he makes a really big deal of it. I went to my complete works of Shakespeare volume, looked up the bit at the back which explained the old words used in the text, and voila, there it is. Total and utter bullshit
>>
>>19092321
There are 2 copies being sold on Ebay as we speak. This was the cheaper one of the two starting at a current bid of $267.05.

Good luck to you and your checkbook anon.
>>
>>19095087
http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Vertical-Plane-by-Ken-Webster-Paperback-Rare-The-Dodleston-Messages-/132207827743?hash=item1ec8335b1f:g:QegAAOSww9xZD2Fg
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.