[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are the limits of sigil magick? Most often, it seems that

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (113KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
113KB, 1200x1200px
What are the limits of sigil magick? Most often, it seems that people use sigils to accomplish mundane tasks such as losing weight or finding love. While there is definitely use in such things, is it possible to utilize the power of sigils to go further? If one is able to enter a deeper level of gnosis through, perhaps, intense meditation and fasting for many days or some other such act that would place great strain on the caster while amplifying the state of one's ascention, what is the maximum power that could be achieved through a sigil? The acquisition of supernatural powers? The toppling of empires? If one devoted their entire being to sigil casting, what is the maximum level of power that could be achieved before hitting a theoretical brick wall?
>>
what is sigil magick?
>>
>>19086518
RP answer: no sex for seven years + contact with demon (contract for knowledge) = no need for sigil magick at all. YER A WIZARD HARRY!

serious answer - this stuff is psychological, it helps you focus on your goals and see synchronicity patterns which you can later take advantage of. A dream diary and vigilant OBE practice is more powerful than sigils but you can develop sigils to manipulate your dreams and cause OBE more often and toward some purpose. The only problem is magicitis - going 76' Bowie - or becoming so listless and uninterested in material things you might as well be dead.

So there is the sanity limit that probably can't be avoided the more 'serious' you are in occult studies and there is the fact that sigils are only a small tool in a bigger kit. Self improvement doesn't even need occult or spiritual knowledge - any dumb 'self help' book can inspire change. Magick and the occult is about manipulating your belief system purposefully. Whatever you can think of that will change if your belief system changes could be accomplished with magic (be more confident, become a better musician, speak in front of crowds) but you're never going to shoot fireballs from your hands. You can't do something your deeper good sense and judgement wouldn't allow. No forcing people to love you (manipulating though is possible) or killing people with your will or violating physical laws (that are true - science doesn't know everything yet).
>>
Sigils are gay.
>>
>>19086586
pic related
>>
OP, the purpose of a sigil is to store power, typically a spell, for later use. Depending on whatever magickal traditions you follow sigils will be more or less useful. Personally I prefer to use them for warding and not much else.
>>
>>19086518
I believe what you want is ceremonial magic, anon. Sigils really don't extend that far.
>>
>>19086991
Continuing from this, you COULD theoretically chain several sigils together, designing them to call on each other, and theoretically this COULD be used to build up energy for something. The problem is, you're dealing with mataphysical concepts here, none of which can be accurately tested in anything even APPROACHING a scientific manner, so it's next to impossible to find any kind of limit or to accurately understand the proper callbacks from one sigil to another.
>>
File: 1483973589933.jpg (125KB, 528x528px) Image search: [Google]
1483973589933.jpg
125KB, 528x528px
The thing that most people tend to miss about sigil magic is the actual value of sigilization itself. What is commonly known as a sigil Morrison called a glyph or glyphic sigil. It's using a symbol to sigilize an intent. This is one of the most accessible forms of sigil magic, but far from the only one. Morrison, Hine, and even Carroll all discuss other forms of sigil magic, from making mantras to choreographing ritual dances. A sigil is not just a doodle made out of cut up words, a sigil is any intent which has been encoded in a ritual that allows the intent to move past the conscious mind and be absorbed by the deeper psyche.

Once one understands this process and applies their own creativity, a great deal of occult capacity opens up to them.

Anything other magical systems can accomplish, sigil magic can as well in the hands of a clever and resourceful veteran. That being said, if there's already a system in placed for what you want to do, follow that system instead of trying to make your own. No need to reinvent the wheel.
>>
>>19087153
I think that definition to be a bit broad, if only because it extends to practically everything, and leads to difficulty in the beginner distinguishing the various types of magic. Under that definition, everything from the sublime formula of NOX to the crude drawing of the witch doctor fall under the same category. Not that they aren't, but I feel this unnecessarily complicates things.
>>
>>19087165
To each his own. For me it simplifies things. It's a heuristic that applies to all occult practice, which is precisely what Chaos Magic was going for when they invented the method. Ripping the occult down to it's most mechanic aspects was the express aim of the early 80s Chaote, and they were the ones who first conceptualized and practiced what is commonly known as sigil magic, at least in the modern Occident.

The pictorial sigils we're all familiar with were chosen as the best method for grubbers, which is why they have so much exposure.
>>
>>19086518
there is no actual limit on the magnitude of a sigil's results.
however, magnitude and type of result are unrelated to the sigil's power
what chaos magic lacks is ANYTHING even remotely resembling consistency in results.

first: your sigil pushes towards ALL possible interpretations.
second: since it is manipulating probability, your results are not guaranteed.

maybe you can get 100x probability of success, buts your new, improved, 100,000:1 odds on the lottery are still shit

if you want direct powers, i recommend other magic.
however, if you don't mind chaos in your life, i recommend doing what i do:
cast sigils on your attempts at other types of magic
>>
>>19086580
>No forcing people to love you (manipulating though is possible) or killing people with your will

Why not?
>>
>>19087307
you can try if you want, and it might even work; chaos magic does not have built in safeties.
however, it had been found and consistently reported that VERY bad things happen to those who try harm other with magic, regardless of magic system.
additionally, massively overhauling a person's mind is equivalent to killing them.
forcing love is such an overhaul; however, lust & sex are much less of a big deal.

however, i recommend against using chaos magic for this.
the chances of someone suddenly starting to lust after you are similar to winning the lottery, and most of the situations where you would end up having random sex are NOT situations you want to be in.

if you really want actual love and are feeling rather ballsy, you could try something like "i have found mutual love".
it is not forcing changes on any specific person, so you probably will not have backlash.
however, most of the ways this could happen involve significant changes to your own personality.
>>
>>19087429
Hey anon. Idk if you will see my post in the other thread, but how does one attain K&C of HGA in Chaos? I mean, I know about the arbitrary paradigm shifts and all, but how exactly would/did you go about it from a Chaote standpoint?
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.