[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does visualization mean?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 2

File: 1491893224116.jpg (138KB, 978x816px) Image search: [Google]
1491893224116.jpg
138KB, 978x816px
What do people mean when they say to visualize something? Say I'm visualizing a fishbowl. Am I supposed to...
>see a fishbowl
>close my eyes and make it appear on my eyelids
>"mentally" "see" it in my "mind's eye"

If I can't do any of these, am I fucked?
>>
I was always a little confused by this. If it means picturing something in your mind, I do that all the time anyway. I didn't realise it was a thing people had trouble with.
>>
>>19084103
what do you mean picturing it? do you see it? is it clear or fleeting and vague?
>>
If you're having trouble visualizing things, you may have this: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aphantasia
That, or you just suck at visualizing because you've never practiced.
>>
>>19084491

There are several causes of third eye blindness (aphantasia).

From pineal & hormone problems to satellite targeting. EMF resonation, etc.

I was always able to do it, then a year and a half ago I mentioned my proclivity towards intention manifestation on this very board. Subsequently blinded.

Jokes on them though, I don't need to see it to feel it.
>>
>>19084076
When you visualize things
You don't actually see them
You think about seeing them
Kind of how when you think about a song
>>
>>19084076
Are you retard? If you don't know how to imagine things you should just kill yourself.
>>
>>19084103
Maybe as many as 1 in 20 people is literally incapable of reliving a sense experience of vision. When they close their eyes, they see only darkness.
>>
>>19084535
I only see darkness. It's there, but it's shrouded. Something is blocking my mind.
>>
>>19084076
To actually see something in your mind's eye takes a lot of practice and flexing imaginative muscles, barring natural ability.

Visualization requires only imagining what something may look like. You don't need to see it, but imagine the form, texture, and color. Sometimes you'll find it popping into your head easier the less you try at it.

Visualization is a bit of a misnomer as well. It's not just visual, you may find natural ability at tactile, gustatory, olfactory, or audio visualization. Combining all of these at once, with practice, may lead to a very powerful imagination.

You may want to look into Trātaka and other forms of visual meditation to flex those muscles.
>>
>>19084535
I mean, when I close my eyes I do only see darkness - with my eyes, but I have no problem seeing things in my mind. I don't literally see things that I see in my mind forming before my eyes. Is that supposed to happen?
>>
>>19084547

Right there with ya.

But don't let it stop you.

You can still feel it.
>>
>>19084521
thank you friend
>>19084491
>>19084513
>>19084553
>>19084535

well i have never practiced but i guess i'll start with trataka.

I can sort of feel-see things in a fleeting way but not in any interactive way and i definitely can't just close my eyes and see a cube

which kind of seeing should i practice? projecting shit on my eyelids or internal vision?
>>
Google - Aphantasia - some people cannot generate images through their mind's eye.
>>
>>19084591
Maybe the whole concept of visualization is bullshit though
>>
>>19084619

You should read more books, help re-develop imagination.

Visualization is basically just an extension of what you can imagine, melded with experience.
>>
>>19084076
Yes, you should be able to see the image on closed eyelids and later with them open as a controlled hallucination. This ability lies dormant within us but it is neglected (perhaps purposefully as imagination is the most powerful force in the universe). Most occult practices aim to change the worldview of the subject as this change, through certainty, leads to increased perception of the subtle forces. Your abilities have been constrained to a tiny box by those who would rather keep humanity in the dark. Follow the white rabbit. Seek and ye shall finde.
>>
>>19084626
I see Pepe, but he is dead. Am I cursed right now?
>>
>>19084751

Just lonely :^(
>>
>>19084693
which form of visualization is the end goal for magical purposes?
>internal
>eyelid
>external
>>
>>19084770

After you get really good at it (astral projection into remote viewing), you can start working on intention manifestation. At that point, it's almost like an extra dimension in your vision. Where you have an extra space to play out consequences of whatever situations independent of time.

Best way I can describe it. It's almost like having an entire extra dimension of awareness.
>>
File: micah.jpg (32KB, 400x600px) Image search: [Google]
micah.jpg
32KB, 400x600px
>>19084076
>/x/ is so retarded they can't even imagine simple objects
Well, this explains a lot.
>>
>>19084788
you're saying i should start doing astral projection to get better at visualization?
>>
how do magnets work
>>
>>19084792
hehe good post but i'm from /tv/
>>19084788
okay but which method do you use?
>>
>>19084795

You can't astral project if you can't visualize (or if you can, something has happened to your 3rd eye sight).

Body & breathing are building blocks of visualization.

Visualization is a building block of projection.

Projection is a building block of travel.

Travel is a building block of experience.

Experience is a building block of intention.

Etc, etc. etc.
>>
>>19084806

>okay but which method do you use?

I don't even know the names, I'm an autodidact as it pertains to that realm. I should probably educate myself on the colloquialisms of the techniques, though.
>>
>>19084815
>I'm an autodidact as it pertains to that realm. I should probably educate myself on the colloquialisms of the techniques, though.

>This much autism in one sentence
>>
>>19084818

If you don't consciously use as much language as you can, you subconsciously lose dimension and ability to define your vision.
>>
>>19084815
what i meant was, how do you visualize? internally or externally or on your eyelids?
>>
>>19084463
I can picture it on my head, feel my fingers run around the rim of it, stick my hand inside and pull out a goldfish and taste the water. It's not like projecting in your mind an image, more like remembering something that has never happened.
>>
>>19084835

Kinda both I guess. If I were to define dimensions, I'd say it feels like it's towards the front of my head.
>>
>>19084845

Memory and projection are very similar.

Memory takes place towards the back of the head though.
>>
>>19084815
xman?
>>19084845
so basically you don't see it? it's not like you're in a VR helmet?
>>19084853
a mind's eye thing then?
>>19084811
so if i wanted to be a kick ass wizard this is the path:
>body and breathing
>internal visualization
>external visualization, seeing anything you want
>astral projection
>astral travel?
is this correct?
>>
>>19084882

That's how I did it.

External visualization didn't come until after projection/travel for me, though.
>>
>>19084491
I have that, talked about it a few times on /sci/ but never knew this name for it.
It's not really a problem for me, I can easily imagine shit it's just not visible as a picture in my mind. I only found out a few years ago when I realized that people are actually sort of "dreaming" when they say they were daydreaming, while I always assumed it was just a figure of speech for nog paying attention.
Interesting and related:
http://lesswrong.com/lw/gq6/visual_mental_imagery_training/
>There was a debate, in the late 1800s, about whether "imagination" was simply a turn of phrase or a real phenomenon. That is, can people actually create images in their minds which they see vividly, or do they simply say "I saw it in my mind" as a metaphor for considering what it looked like?
>>
>>19084899

Or I should say, awareness of external visualization (having it like an extra dimension)
>>
>>19084535
>When they close their eyes, they see only darkness.
Well no shit. It really baffles me how you could see anything else, I think it would be almost like a hallucination if I could suddenly see things in my head like apparently the majority of people.
>>
>>19084591
People with aphantasia also have trouble remembering just about anything, almost always tell the truth (they are terrible at lying, can't come up with a good one), and are not creative in any way.

Not being able to see clear mental images is not a good indicator of aphantasia as it is almost always a learned skill.
>>
>>19084931

Hallucinations are different, this doesn't go on in the same spot of your mind.

Kinda like how you can distinguish memory from vision.
>>
>>19084954
>People with aphantasia also have trouble remembering just about anything, almost always tell the truth (they are terrible at lying, can't come up with a good one), and are not creative in any way.
Was gonna call bullshit on this but then u say
>Not being able to see clear mental images is not a good indicator of aphantasia
But according to wikipedia aphantasia is exactly the same as not being able to see clear mental images.
So what are you on about? And in what sense is mental imagery a learned skill? Never heard of someone practicing their visualization skills.
>>
>>19084956
>Kinda like how you can distinguish memory from vision.
Well I think this metaphor only holds for people who have mental images in the first place lol.
>>
>>19085009

>Never heard of someone practicing their visualization skills.

You haven't talked to many monks then
>>
>>19085024
Indeed I haven't, but I mean regular people, of whom 90% apparently can visualize. Doesn't sound like a learned skill to me.
Also I don't see what lack of creativity or memory would have to do with it. It's not like you can't think or form images (e.g. by drawing), it's just not processed in your conscious mind the same way regular visual input is.
>>
>>19085036

>Also I don't see what lack of creativity or memory would have to do with it.

They're all intrinsically connected to the mind. If you have no creativity, you're unlikely to make the leaps necessary to be able to see things from what is basically another dimension. You're confined to see only what you can define.

I find the process like trying to describe "how to remember something" to someone.

I just can't do it properly. Anyway, it's been a good chat. In the end: everyone has their own path and goals. Don't ever forget to appreciate where you are.
>>
>>19084535
I literally see darkness, but I can think images about as clearly as if I were there.
>>
>>19084076
A good way to think about visualization is "imagining."

Ever catch yourself deep in thought, "seeing" things with your mind but not actually seeing an image on the back of your eye lids?

Visualization is like concentrating your mind so intensely on a visual cue that your mind starts to paint a picture. This is very ephemeral though and not tangible. A great way to do this is to work on basic objects and then increase the complexity as you get used to it. For instance, start with colored shapes, then move onto basic shaped objects like doors that have more detail like textures.
>>
>>19085078
>Ever catch yourself deep in thought, "seeing" things with your mind
Well no. Only time I ever have something like that is during hypnagogia.
>>
Aphantasian here.

>>19084954
>have trouble remembering just about anything,
true
>almost always tell the truth (they are terrible at lying, can't come up with a good one),
true
>and are not creative in any way.
false

I never used to dream until I smoked weed either -- it really seems to help my visual cortex.
>>
Here's another guy who has aphantasia and found out in his 30s and wrote a blogpost about it
>faceberg dawt com/notes/blake-ross/aphantasia-how-it-feels-to-be-blind-in-your-mind/10156834777480504/
But he says
>I do have the ‘milk voice’—that flat, inner monologue that has no texture or sound, which we use to tell ourselves: “Remember to pick up milk.”
I don't have such a voice either, althought my thoughts consist of language of course.
>>
>>19085036
Monks are regular people that choose to practice honing their spiritual and mental ability.

Also, just because someone describes visualization using concrete, "I saw x" doesn't mean they actually did. Mental imagery and visualization are not the same, but the two terms have been erroneously linked in recent years.
>>
>>19085152
I'm very glad you can be creative! I've heard many, sadly, conflicting reports on that.

Weed definitely helps.
>>
>>19085347
What's the difference between visualization and visual mental imagery, then?
>>
>>19085396
Visualization may be of any sense. You can visualize a sound or smell, for instance.

Mental images are a specific kind of visualization. Without natural talent, which many people lack despite the language they use to describe them, mental images are often fuzzy as well.

To an extent it's the difference between imagination and controlling hallucinations.
>>
>>19084899
that is helpful. How does breathing connect to visualization then?
>>
>>19085152
do you dream?
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.