[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Ganzfeld Effect

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 4

File: ganzfeldold.jpg (13KB, 397x266px) Image search: [Google]
ganzfeldold.jpg
13KB, 397x266px
Has anybody ever tried doing the ganzfeld experiment? It's the one where you put ping-pong ball halves over your eyes and listen to static in a room lit by red light. The blindness and the static are enough to induce sensory deprivation and you begin to have hallucinations.

I just tried it for half an hour and I began to see dark shapes morph around in front of my light source. I also heard a few thuds in my room and I heard my bedroom door open, but it goes without saying there was no one there. In addition, the static seemed to turn into a man laughing, and for a little bit, a crashing cymbal. I plan on doing this for longer amounts of time.

So, /x/, what are your experiences with it?
>>
>>19070860
Tried it probably 6 years ago, got interrupted by my parents before anything happened, and I never tried it again
>>
>>19070867

I can definitely relate to this, anon. One time my parents caught me in bed wearing a red cape, rolling around in ping pong balls while laughing and throwing cymbals at the door - I told them I was engaged in sensory deprivation testing, but they didn't believe me. Now I'm heavily sedated, and they told all my friends that I live in Belgium with my uncle.
>>
>>19070867
>>19070943
You need to be more open with your parents about your drugs usage.

>>19070860
Tested this in th university with some friends we stoped the allucinations very soon cause we were kind of worried it might get to weird, I seriously don't what happens if you keep going for longer than 45 minutes.
>>
>>19070959
I researched it, I don't think anything bad should happen. Though i'd never do it for more than 2 hours.
>>
I built myself a Hemispheric Synchronizer, but I've been too much of a bitch to try it. Feelsbadman.
>>
>>19070968

why not? what happens after two hours?
>>
>>19070975
I don't know of anything bad, but like, 2 hours is a long time. After a certain amount of time, you'd think you'd lost complete grip on reality, but who knows when that could be
>>
>>19070985

this might actually worth trying on an airplane - if you're stuck on an especially long flight. The altitude might contribute to disorientation, thereby amplifying the effect. Plus ping pong balls are easy to carry in your hand luggage. I'm imagining how ten+ hours would influence your mind.
>>
>>19071004
oh shit dude that's an interesting idea
>>
>>19071004
Enjoy being removed from the plane mid-flight.
>>
>>19071004
The won't let you take ping pong balls on if they're real balls. High quality ping pong balls are made of nitrocellulose, an explosive.
>>
>>19071023
you can also do it with a sleep mask, so I've heard, so you might be able to get away with it
>>
>>19071030
Literally any ping pong ball works, the goal it's to just cover your eyes with an spherical shape.
>>
>>19071023

As long as you don't start talking to yourself while gesticulating at hallucinations, I can't imagine it'd be much of a problem. Plenty of flights pass out those eye masks people wear when trying to sleep. One could insert the ping pong balls underneath the mask. I've often pulled a hat over my face while napping on a flight. There's no reason why I couldn't apply ping pong balls underneath a downturned hat. I'm sure there are ways of obscuring the experiment as to not startle the passengers or flight crew.
>>
>>19071042
Agreed, just didn't want some dipshit anon to get arrested for bringing literal high explosive material into an airport
>>
>>19071050

why would manufacturers construct ping pong balls from high explosives? aren't there any alternative materials that aren't as volatile?
>>
File: image.jpg (77KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
77KB, 1280x720px
>>19071058
>he doesn't know about competitive ping-pong
>>
>>19071058
Not chemically identical to nitrocellulose, but will degrade to it nonetheless when exposed to heat:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celluloid

Pretty sure it's because celluloid plastic is light and bouncy, despite being incredibly flammable.
>>
>>19071073

Admittedly, I'm a bit of a ping pong novice. I appreciate the game, but rarely watch competitive play. Nor do I know much about regulation/professional ball construction. They're hollow, right?
>>
>>19071099

Fascinating. I'm sincerely intrigued - I had no idea.
>>
>>19071073
which MAD is this?
>>
>>19070860
Wanna try something weird? Buy one of those sleep masks like pic related. Put it on in the dark. You'll see little specs of color in the dark. Now open then close your eyes with the mask on. You'll notice that the specs of color remain constant and nothing changes when you close and open your eyes in pure darkness. Creepy shit. Reality is a simulation bro.
>>
I'm interested in this, what are the possible dangers?
>>
>>19072048
Is that not just because the level of darkness doesn't change between the inside of the sleep mask and our closed eye lids? It's quite a leap to assume our life is a simulation from a fucking night mask
>>
>>19072596
No danger as long as you have the constant ability to remove the ping pong balls when you start feeling nauseous or have had enough. The worst that would happen is that long exposure might lead to an ego-death
>>
>>19072602
>ego-death
What's this?
And should I be doing this if I have no experience at all with anything similar to this
(I also barely dream, or at least never remember them when I wake up)
>>
>>19072604
"Ego death is a 'complete loss of subjective self-identity'."

Meaning that you completely forget who you are, why you are alive, what's happening with reality. I have never experienced it myself but came close to feelings similar.

There is no entry level requirement for anyone to try this technique but it may be startling to you as a first-timer to jump into something that causes hallucinations. Only you will know if you are ready, though.
>>
>>19072613
>loss of subjective self-identity
>I have never experienced it myself
>loss of self-identity
>never experienced it myself
>loss of self
>myself

No shit you've never experienced it. By definition, it is literally impossible to experience. You require a subjective identity to experience anything.
>>
>>19070860
I have done something similar with a good friend a few years ago where we locked ourselves in a room for 8 hours and watched some stupid music video because we thought about "How can we waste our time the dumbest and funniest way?".
And I can tell you, it got really not funny really fast.
I would not recommend doing such experiments.
>>
i'm not practicing what i'm preaching but man just meditate for a half hour every day.
you want to hallucinate?
look up shamanic journeying.
far more rewarding, i hope
>>
>>19074429
>OP here
eh, I'm really not spiritual or anything like that. I like the ganzfeld thing because it's really rooted in science and psychology.
Really, I'd rather just smoke weed or take LSD to hallucinate, but I can't buy any now
>>
>>19070860
>>19071004
>>19071030
>>19071042
>>19071043
>>19071050
>>19071058
>>19072602
>>19072599
The ping pong ball is not necessary - i troed it once and it sucked. Its uncomfortable and hard to keep them from falling off my face unless i use tape.

After going through the effort of sawing a ping pong ball in half and awkwardly having it over my face 10 mins i gave up only to later fund out that what you really need is to cover your vision and pinpong balls were to small to keep all light out. Supposedly the optimal thing would be a red cloth due to similarity with inside of eyelids, but any cloth or sleeping mask should be enough for the pusposes.

tl;dr dont bother with tiny uncomfortable plastic balls, use a sleep mask, cloth, shirt, or even a fucking sock
>>
>>19072783
Different anon here but you are obviously a definitely a special dude aren't you. Have you ever been really high? Look up ego death and its conection to acid/lsd use.
>>
>>19075721
But you need the red light, it can't be something that completly blocks it.
>>
>>19071116
MADMILK
>>
>>19070860
how long does it take to kick in?
>>19072604
you gave me the idea of forcing hallucinations upon friends who claim to not have frequent dreams
>>
>>19076672
It can kick in anywhere from 10-30 minutes
>>
Two of my friends have tried it and said they experienced some pretty fucked up shit. One said he felt a weight on his chest and he could barely breathe.
>>
I just did it using this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgxX2O863BI
and a blanket over my eyes and about 12-15 min in it felt as if i had sandbags over my arms and it took about another 10 min of me being sorta creeped out to start to try and move my fingers to slowly lose the feeling of the weight on my arms. I also saw waves of green light which i guess sort of makes sense since green is the compliment of red.
>>
>>19076598
So thats the actual reason why they said a red cloth works best...
>>
>>19076672
How do I give my friends dreams?
>>
>>19076846
Isn't the feeling of weight on your chest also a common thing during sleep paralysis? I assume they're similar states of the body falling asleep while the mind stays more or less awake.
>>
File: Hearty laugh.gif (1MB, 205x223px) Image search: [Google]
Hearty laugh.gif
1MB, 205x223px
>>19070943
>>
>>19071004
"Nightmare at 20,000 Feet"
>>
>>19076891
Only in paints and pigments. Light blue is physically the opposite of red
>>
>>19070860

you're pretty fucking brave to try this man. I'd be terrified lol
>>
Any alternatives to half ping pong balls? i ain't fuckin running down to the shops for fucking ping pong balls.
>>
>>19078847
Use a red cloth or something similar. A sleeping mask would work too i guess. I do know ping pong balls are a very bad choice. Uncomfortable and difficult to use (for this thread's purposes, theyre fine for the sport)
>>
Why ping pong balls?
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.