[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Confused About Christianity

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6

File: blown.jpg (24KB, 306x220px) Image search: [Google]
blown.jpg
24KB, 306x220px
So Christianity stems from Judaism, which was heavily influenced by tribal religions, and possibly Zoroastrianism, right?

One thing i found out a while back was the origins of God's true name, Yahweh, YHWH, and sometimes El, I think.

I forget which one was which, but at one time, tribes all worshiped a specific God out of a pantheon. One tribe worshiped Yahweh, which was the God of War in the pantheon. For some reason i can't remember, they eventually took all the positive attributes of the other Gods, and gave them to Yahweh, making him the single God.

The pantheon already had a head God, El, but he become kinda replaced by Yahweh...

So if Christianity stems from Judaism, do Christians technically worship Yahweh?

Another side question: September 23rd? Whats that about? And if a religion makes correct predictions, does that make it the "true" religion?
>>
>>19066232
No religion is the true religion.
If a religion does a correct preditiction it isn't a feat of religion but of the writer.
Sept 23 is going to be Magnificent.
>>
>>19066256

Why will it be magnificent?

Why can't there be a true religion?

If that writer followed a certain philosophy/religion and makes a correct prediction, then by extension his religion is correct, right?
>>
>>19066261
No, the writer is right, not the religion.
You can be a fucking Odinist while a Christian prediction happens and still both Religions would be equally true. This is also true in the opposite direction.
When someone predicts a religious happening it ISN'T religious at all, it gets written in there because benefits both the religion and the happening(the former gets a doom date and the latter gets mainstream(to a certain point) media coverage)
>>
>>19066287
P.S: Even the Gods had a Creator.
>>
>>19066232
its all bullshit and fairy tales. don't think too hard about it or take it seriously at all
>>
>>19066299
Gtfo of /x/ skeptic
>>
>>19066232
Yahweh is just the Hebrew word for God and El Shaddai is another name
El Shaddai meaning "Almighty God"
and Yahweh means "I Am" - referencing God's eternalness

A lot of Christians know that the Hebrews called God Yahweh and El Shaddai and often some Christians use Yahweh themselves
Those two names are even in some worship songs
it isn't some mysterious secret

and yes the religion which prophets' prophecies come true is the true religion
only prophecies in the Bible have come true
>>
>>19066354

Ohhh yeah, i totally forgot about that part...the whole Hebrew language part...

If i'm correct, Chrsitainity is the only religion that seems to make predictions for the future...Whenever i look to see if Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, etc. have predictions nothing comes up...And since the Bible apparently has quite a few predictions throughout and especially revelations( I said apparently cause i haven't really looked into it myself), it is the true religion.

What about hell then? Whats up with that place?
>>
>>19066232
look up proto indo european religion friend

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyeus
>>
>>19066308
you're an idiot
>>
File: 058.png (231KB, 678x678px) Image search: [Google]
058.png
231KB, 678x678px
>>19066374
You could go to church and ask any pastor

Hell is where those who aren't saved go. You can do good all your life and still go there
Or you could do bad all your life but at the end realize you were wrong and ask God for forgiveness and to become a part of your life and you won't go there

Hell is supposed to be eternal (though some people disagree on this) But the Bible seems to be pretty clear that hell is in fact eternal
Also according to the Bible you'll basically be tormented there for all eternity by Satan and his minions who also take part in your suffering because they can't get out either
I always imagined it as you're just on fire and you're fully receptive to all the pain of being on fire and it never ever ends and you don't get used to it and you can't even go insane so that you enjoy it
You just suffer forever
It's really easy not to go there though just become a Christian ask God to come into your heart/soul/life and whenever you sin ask for forgiveness and make a real effort to stop sinning
>>
>>19066395

Welp with this whole September 23rd thing coming up, I might as well get more serious.

The idea that God would care about humans choice in religion seems so odd. Or that God would be jealous...those traits are too human. The Panentheist conception of God makes most sense...or the concept of Tao...

But i guess when it comes to my soul for eternity, what makes sense doesnt matter lol.

Seeing as only Christianity and Islam have the concept of eternal hell, theres only two options really.
>>
>>19066429
Bible says God is a jealous God
so that's true.

But it's more that He seeks to form a greater relationship with us and the way that He's given us to do so is to follow His lifestyle
you don't have to say you're a Christian or wear a cross or even go to church (though it's highly encouraged because it's very beneficial for Christians to be around other Christians and be force fed the Bible (I found out the hard way that this is true))

All that God wants is that people seek Him and seek to draw closer to Him and try to bring others to God
That's why He made us so that He could have company and people to love

btw a lot of Christian apologists and Biblical scholars believe that for those who never heard of Christianity or Jesus (for example all the Aztecs and Mayans and Native Americans that died before Europeans came over) or children that died before being able to willingly accept God themselves
that those people can still go to heaven because either they die without commiting sin (as in children) and are innocent and go to heaven or they found God in their own way or God reached out to them
others believe that God judges a person by their good deeds if they never had the opportuntiy to hear the gospel
>>
File: moses5.png (1MB, 1280x773px) Image search: [Google]
moses5.png
1MB, 1280x773px
>>19066232
>>19066299

>I forget which one was which, but at one time, tribes all worshiped a specific God out of a pantheon. One tribe worshiped Yahweh, which was the God of War in the pantheon. For some reason i can't remember, they eventually took all the positive attributes of the other Gods, and gave them to Yahweh, making him the single God.
>The pantheon already had a head God, El, but he become kinda replaced by Yahweh...
>So if Christianity stems from Judaism, do Christians technically worship Yahweh?

Most "Christians" worship the devil...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcPoq-ZbXOs
>>
File: 6hWtAHr.gif (606KB, 342x198px) Image search: [Google]
6hWtAHr.gif
606KB, 342x198px
>>19066452
>Bible says God is a jealous God
>so that's true.

Thats not a good enough reason. The Koran says things. Hindu texts say things. Jain texts say things. Sikh texts say things. etc.

They all claim to be true but just seeing it written down isn't good enough.

In my experience, Taosim brings the most peace and answers. Not a lot is told, but rather you experience it yourself.

How would one experience God's jealousy?

But then again, it doesn't matter, because since hell is permanent, and there are only two choices of religion where i will permanently be tortured, i should go with Christianity and stop asking questions and just accept the fact that someone i never met wrote it down and it therefore a fact.

At least in scientific texts, the ideas(most) can be tested and proven/disprove. You can't really prove or disprove jealousy.

The fact that there are non Christians(Hindus, Muslims, Taoist people, Buddhist, Sikhs) that live healthy, prosperous, righteous lives, but don't follow God seems like proof that it really doesn't matter as long as your heart is in the right place.

But then again, the bible says so, so by your logic it must be true.

A God would/should/does transcend human emotions, thoughts, ideas, conceptions. For it to be bound by an emotion like jealousy makes zero sense.
>>
>>19066484
... my point being that the God in the Bible.. assuming the Bible is true if the Christian God exists than the Bible is His word and the Bible says that God is a jealous God

obviously I'm not suggesting that if the Bible says something that it must be true because the Bible is true because the Bible says so
that's called circular reasoning

kinda taking things out of context there pal
>>
>>19066514

Yeah, im confusing myself here.

I'm reading up on the general attributes of God in Christianity and then i'll write a reddit thread on it lol.

Its harder finding a list of attributes for other religions though.

Generally speaking, choice in religion doesn't matter much except for Abraham religions so I'm not too worried about finding attributes outside of Judaism, Christianity, Islam, and maybe Zoroastrianism.
>>
>>19066521
only modern interpretations of ancient religions imply that you can be not a part of their religion and still find eternal salvation or enlightenment or whatever the end goal of said religion is

that's a modern relativist mentality (all truths are valid and everyone should just get a long amd be happy)
and honestly that's just intellectual laziness and emotional pandering
logically there's only one reality and therefore only one true interpretation of reality
either atheists or buddhists of shintoists or Christians or Muslims are right and everyone else is wrong
they can't possibly all be right tbough i suppose its possible for all of them to be wrong.
and traditionally almost all religions exclude every other religion as false and wrong
not just Christianity and Islam
only in more modern times have people tried to rectify the differences between different religions and believe in a reality where everyone can be right at the same time
>>
Jews, christians and muslims all worship the same god. The only difference is the relationship with JC.
>>
>>19066542
don't say that like that's some small thing

The divinity of Jesus is crucial to Christianity and its crucial to Judaism that He isn't divine as well as it's crucial to Islam that Jesus was just a profit and not the Son of God

whether or not Jesus was the Son of God determines which version of God is correct and a lot of really big things about God and heaven and hell and salvation depend on whether or not Jesus was the Son of God

if Jesus wasn't the Son of God than Christianity's interpretation of God is completely wrong and they are basically worshipping nothing
If Jesus was the Son of God than Islam and Judaists are wrong and they're worshipping a God that as they understand it doesn't exist

if Jesus was just a prophet of God likewise both Christianity and Judaism is wrong
>>
prophet*
>>
>>19066299
>Intellectual laziness

This is why athetits will never learn.
>>
>>19066534

> and traditionally almost all religions exclude every other religion as false and wrong

True, but it doesn't really matter until an eternal hell comes into play.

Sure you might get it wrong the first time, but if you live a morally decent life, you'll be reborn into a better life or plane of existence where you are more likely to get it right(As far as religions that believe in rebirth).

I forgot what its called, but in one school Buddhism I think, theres a word for someone who attains enlightenment without ever having read the texts, studied under a teacher, etc.

Stretching that further, then it possible for everyone to attain some form of enlightenment, inner peace. What does enlightenment mean? Someone who is truly awakened, will not go around talking about it, they just are.

I guess you'll know when you found what you need.
>>
>>19066580
yeah but almost all religions have a punishment system

including buddhists
for example you could be reborn as some chicken living in a cage laying eggs until you're turned into meat
(albeit i don't have a great understanding of Buddhism but as far as i know they believe that if you're a bad person you'll be reincarnated as something that is well... not really something you want to be)
and im guessing those who don't follow Buddhists practices won't be reincarnated as something enjoyable

but yeah that's not as bad as eternal damnation and suffering you're right
>>
>>19066613

> they believe that if you're a bad person you'll be reincarnated as something that is well... not really something you want to be

> im guessing those who don't follow Buddhists practices won't be reincarnated as something enjoyable

Yup i think thats right. But in general, the 8 fold path of Buddhism teaches good moral character, just as a proper follower of Christianity, Taoism, Stoicism, Hinduism, etc.

All religions/philosophies teach good moral character. How they view human nature is different.

For example, say someone follows Christian principles and generally a "good person". However, reincarnation is true. They're born into a new life/plane and have the knxwledge of their past life and know where to correct themself.

Generally, I think the human realm/life is positioned in the middle. Anything above a human probably has the strength and knowledge to remember past lives.

You ever read those stories of kids remembering past lives and info they shouldn't?

I think that is because childrenare pure. They don't know right from wrong yet(based on their culture). As such they have the spiritual power to remember possible past lives. However, once they are tainted by the world, they become like the rest of us.
>>
Religions are just man-made fairy tales born from humanity's fears and insecurities.
>>
File: images.duckduckgo.com(17) (1).jpg (77KB, 640x960px) Image search: [Google]
images.duckduckgo.com(17) (1).jpg
77KB, 640x960px
I'll post some helpful video links.
https://youtu.be/eE-J2XeD9X0
https://youtu.be/7KWWyJvC6pA
https://youtu.be/MIPVInwgSR8
https://youtu.be/pqFKK7V8XMc
https://youtu.be/jOLtfQ9vo9U
>>
jealousy means you fear losing someones love. look at the definitions people
>>
File: maatmontypython2.png (516KB, 805x740px) Image search: [Google]
maatmontypython2.png
516KB, 805x740px
>>19066354
>and yes the religion which prophets' prophecies come true is the true religion
>only prophecies in the Bible have come true

Very few "prophecies" in the Bible have come true.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slwVHsJJdfk
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.